Huntinggal2009 26-Nov-16
Pyrannah 30-Nov-16
archerynut 30-Nov-16
archerynut 30-Nov-16
Rut Nut 02-Dec-16
23-Nov-16

archerynut's embedded Photo
After 4 years I finally made it back to that special island. The trip was outstanding and misrible all rolled into one else and I am looking foward to a return trip in the future. I did it a bit different than the previous trip. We went the first week of August. We went earlier for 2 reasons, 1 my hunting partners wife was 8 months pregnant and more importantly we wanted to salmon fish for a few days. We got in town on July 29th in the afternoon and within a hour we had our bags in the room and licenses in our pockets and on our way to the river. We fished the Russian River that night and found a large school of fresh pinks (Humpies) and on the first cast I caugh what would turn out to be my best Pink salmon of the trip. We caught a bunch of Pinks and I even caught a late run King as well.

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

The next morning we got up as it was getting light and and hit the Russian for a few hours and had too much fun catching Pinks. They were exceptionally large this year. But we wanted to see what else there was and we went off to fish other rivers. We stopped at the American and there was a ton of Dollies but most of the salmon were further up stream. So we decided to catch some Dollies for a change of pace and boy was that fun!! They hit egg and streamer patterns with reckless abandon and was a blast to sight fish. After awhile we went out to see the wild Buffalo there. They are giant animals and awesome to see up close. But I learned real quick not to get too close, they don't like that.

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

We fished until almost midnight that night. The next morning we flewill out to where we were going hunting. Once we got to our lake we set up camp and went fishing for a few hours. The lake was loaded with Dollies and even had a good number of land locker Red slamon. After dinner we went out for a little walk looking to locate a few bucks to hunt the next day. We found a few sheds, caribou dead heads and a bunch of deer.

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

The next morning we woke up to typical Kodiak weather, rainy and fog. It was opening day of deer and caribou season. We each had 2 deer tags and a caribou tag. My friend was first up since this was his first time there. We seen a bunch of deer and a few good bucks. And my friend got a itchy trigger finger and shot a good deer. Not huge but average or slightly above. I helped him butcher up the deer and load up his pack and I was off to find another good buck. After 2 blown stalks it was time to head back to camp for the evening. There were so many deer that it made it very hard to stalk a deer. Every time you would come around the hill or around a bush there would be a unseen group of does or smaller buck that would clear out that area if they seen or smelt ya. Never thought I would ever say that there were too many deer.

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

The next day we got up and had back straps and eggs for breakfast. One of the best breakfasts I've ever had.... after glassing the valley I found a buck I wantested to go after. 2 hours later I found myself 24 yards from him as he was beded. All he had to do was stand up and he was mine. But as the way things gs went for me onow this trip, the wind changed and a group of does caught my wind and ran down into the drainage and the buck stood and ran straight away with them. Dejected after 3 blown stalks, we went up to the next ridge for some lunch aND as we were eating we spotted a herd of caribou. We sicker down our food and took off across the valley after them.

23-Nov-16

Sadness
Sadness

23-Nov-16

Look caribou over there
Look caribou over there

23-Nov-16

As we made it across the valley we popped up over the Ridge and the herd was right where we last seen them. We staryes to glass them and to our surprise, they were all bulls.... 13 to be exact. There were 4 big bulls and the rest were young. We put a plan together and wentertainment after them. We made out way along the ridge and dropped down into the tundra. We rand out of good cover but some how by the grace of God we managed to get into range. As we discussed what bull to take one of the good bulls gave my friend a broadside shot and he took it. As they scattered most of the bulls came closer and one of the better bulls game me a broadside ahot as they came past. It was absolutely crazy how it all come togetherand both of us were able to harvest great bulls. Mine is your typical bull with long sweeping main beam's and good tops and shovels. My friends is a gnarly non typical with points going every where.

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

Now came the hard part. After taking our hero shots the work began. 3 trips of packs full of meat and antlers later we finished the job. My body hurt so bad the next day I just layed in the tent. Luckily it was raining so it gave me a great excuse to rest and recoop. The terrain where we were hunting g was stupid difficult to navigate. It was nothing but frost heaves and holes covered in willows and grass. It wasn't fun but totally worth it. The weather stayed crappy for the next few days but I still went out after a deer. We seen tons of great bucks but just couldn't make it happen. If I wanted to shoot a deer with a rifle I could have tagged out in 2 days easily. But I was determined to get it done with a bow and didn't want to shoot a below average deer. I dont regret leaving with unfilled tags and one day will make it back there to shoot one of those forked G2, giant bodied, gorgeous deer. After flying back into town we hung out for a few more days fishing and enjoying the last moments of the trip. It's one that I won't forget any time soon, if ever.

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

23-Nov-16

24-Nov-16
Very awesome, Mike.

24-Nov-16
Awesome!

24-Nov-16
Holly Cow! Living the dream! Awesome Pics awesome story!

25-Nov-16
I was in Alaska this summer and caught some Dollies and a couple of salmon. Those pictures sure put a smile on my face. Nice trip.

26-Nov-16
What a wonderful story!!! I would love to hunt Caribou sometime. We were also on the Kenai the same week. Camped in Soldatna, and on the Homer spit. Caught my first red.

30-Nov-16
really cool and very jealous! sounds fun

30-Nov-16
Thanks everyone. I am sorry for all my typos, I typed this from my phone while on my way home from a roadtrip and can not edit it from my phone. Is editing not a option via the mobile version?

30-Nov-16
Thanks everyone. I am sorry for all my typos, I typed this from my phone while on my way home from a roadtrip and can not edit it from my phone. Is editing not a option via the mobile version?

02-Dec-16
Finally got a chance to check this out.

WOW! Great adventure and great story!

2 of my favorite things: Fly fishing and Caribou hunting! :)

Congrats on a great adventure Mike!

• Sitka Gear