hawkeye in PA 16-Dec-16
Jeff Durnell 16-Dec-16
Flintknocker 16-Dec-16
Flintknocker 16-Dec-16
Rut Nut 25-Jan-17
Bowhunting 5C 26-Jan-17
Rut Nut 26-Jan-17
28-Nov-16
I was asked to get some feedback from y'all.

With the governor's signing of the recently passed bills to allow the use of semi-automatic and air rifles, the PGC must now revamp their regulations on allowable firearms for hunting. The question now is for what game will they be allowed?

Personally, I would like to see air rifles for small game and semi-autos for varmints(coyote and groundhog)

What do you think?

28-Nov-16
I would certainly like to have the option of using some of my Semi- Autos on big game as well. Would certainly use on deer. I would like to use a suppressed .22 semi auto when checking my trap line. I would enjoy using a .223/5/56 AR for varmints, and I would also like to use 300 Black Out semi-auto for Deer.

28-Nov-16
Small game , varmints and predators yes.. deer no.

28-Nov-16
Yes to small game, predators. A big NO for deer. Spray and pray the woods with high power rifles? Not a chance... Pennsylvania puts more hunters in the woods than any other state. Imagine semi's in the woods opening day of deer season? Not a pretty sight when a guy gets excited and can not hit what they are aiming for in the first place. What ever happened to making a shot count. Instead you get 20 to get it right? NO.....

28-Nov-16
5C...I think I remember reading that 2015 had the least number of hunting related accidents than any year so far. I think as a combination of less hunters and better Hunter Trapper Ed, the number of accident declines almost every year. Pennswoods are safer than ever. I don't think that Semi-Autos will cause more accidents. It is like the same argument the ANTI-Gunners use, they blame the gun and not the person. Like the old saying---guns don't kill people, people kill people. So Semi-Auto, Bolt Action, Lever Action and Long Bows don't make Pennswoods more dangerous, irresponsible or unethical hunters very well could but not the rifle or the type of action on the rifle. So if an unethical longbow hunter "Sprayed and Prayed" a ridiculous number of arrows and became a danger, and didn't practice enough to make one shot count, you would say no to long bow hunting?? Because the possibility exists that some unethical rifle hunter would use a semi-auto in an unsafe way ALL ethical hunters that would use Semi-Auto in a safe way must be prohibited from using this type of rifle??

28-Nov-16
The woods are safer because there is nothing to shoot at. LOL

Personally, I wish only single shot shotguns were legal for deer. Learn how to hunt and shoot! Target Saturation is not a safe hunting method.

As for the poll.........air guns for small game, no semi's period.

29-Nov-16
autos certainly could make those random 'safety check' shots ya hear every opening day at 4:30 am a lot more interesting......? Knew an older gent from Canada years ago never learnt to keep his 'enthusiasm' in check, carried a real old vintage Rem. 742 in the ole 30-OH-six, carried three 10 round clips for it. Always emptied two of them when he saw a deer, whether he could still see it or not. Seldom, seldom..with any effect..other than to keep the ammo manufacturers busy and happy.

Besides, my 'opinion' ain't worth chit anymore. Most of ya know if it WERE up to me ya'll'd be limited to wood bows, two arrahs per season, with stone points, and two ROUND mold cast lead balls and two charges of BLACK POWDER. But you would be permitted to hunt Sundays :) OH, and no telescopic sights :)

29-Nov-16
I would vote for semi's for certain small game, varmints and coyotes. Definately not for deer. One thing we don't need is the orange army using the spray and pray method. I know there are many hunters that would use the weapons ethically, but unfortunately there would be way too many individuals that would not.

Also, how would they work it? Would there be a magazine capacity limitation or would you have some guy that goes to the range once a year before hunting season getting himself a brandy new bushmaster and heading into the woods by his house with a couple full mags? Seems scary to me.

29-Nov-16
I'm with ED, archery ONLY! lol. Sorry Rut, my opinion doesn't count either, rarely get to rifle areas and very rarely use a gun.

bill v

29-Nov-16
Bowsite?

29-Nov-16
Hey Rut Air rifles for small game, ie squirrels. Semis for people....wait the PGC doesn't regulate that.

29-Nov-16
Put a 'plug' in semi's like we do for shotguns.

29-Nov-16
I would also like to handgun hunt with a Dan Wesson 10MM Razor Back.

29-Nov-16
Jeff Darnell = "Bowsite?" and yet starts a Thread called "Mushrooms are in season too" What at goof.

29-Nov-16
No semi autos in any season. No mushroom threads. No Sunday hunting. Cut the doe tags by 33%.

29-Nov-16
I'm a goof? Well there now, that explains everything. Thanks.

If you don't understand how wild mushrooms are related to bowhunting, then we wouldn't have much to talk about anyway.

29-Nov-16
LOL! thanks for the replies guys! : )

29-Nov-16
I think those cheap mechanical heads mushroom like a bullet and don't give good penetration... I see the relation, Jeff...

29-Nov-16
Ethical hunters will be ethical. Jerks will be jerks. Weapon choice does not matter. Having a choice is more important to me. I want the choice. The pgc already allows one armed disabled people to deer hunt with semi autos with 5 shot mags. Sounds reasonable. My huddy loads only loads 2. Sounds ethical to me. I have seen guys shoot a 760 pretty fast and not hit anything.

29-Nov-16
I have two packs of rockets here. Unopened , make me an offer:)

29-Nov-16
Ok...I don't create threads on the Bowsite that aren't archery related.

BOWSITE!

29-Nov-16
Roy, unopened, that's funny right there :^)

29-Nov-16
Dan, did you really just compare long bow's to a semi automatic rifle? I agree about the anti's, but really? There is no comparison to either. I, as a stern 2nd amendment supporter will never cave to the anti's however this issue was a comment section and I stick by my comments. As ethical as our hunter brethren seem to be, an unlimited amount of shots from a semi in record fast fashion in Penn's woods? You my friend are in denial. Or, you just have never witnessed the total carnage of rifle hunters even with bolt action or lever blasting away at running targets with no regard for what is around, in front of or behind running deer. Comparing long bow's to semis... That is rich.

29-Nov-16
Bowhunting 5C X3. Actually I think legalizing semi-automatic weapons for hunting is freaking ridiculous!!! Especially when you have to limit your shotgun to three shells. Lol. What a freaking joke!!!

29-Nov-16
Well I suppose if we can have a gun poll on this here Bowsite, then I can post the pictures of the 3 bucks my buddies took yesterday with rifles? One is a dandy 10 point shot with a flat shooting 270 Remington 760 pump. I was hunting with a Remington 760 pump in 30-06 cal.

29-Nov-16

RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo
RC's embedded Photo

29-Nov-16
RC, great examples of antler restrictions in action.. Great bucks. Thanks for sharing.

30-Nov-16
I'm having fun, sticks:) Life is too short to be moody and grumpy. Now do you want those rockets that failed to open? Maybe a little wd40 might fix em up..

30-Nov-16
"Personally, I would like to see air rifles for small game and semi-autos for varmints(coyote and groundhog)" - RutNut

Perry,

I agree 100% with you. I've had my eye on a Benjamin Sheraton .22 caliber air rifle for awhile now, that I would love to take squirrel hunting. I think allowing air rifles for small game, would only increase participation in those seasons. I never knew how involved some get into the world of "air guns", but it is a HUGE market!

As far as the semi-auto AR type guns, I feel they too have there place. I would be okay seeing them for coyote and groundhogs, but I think some very careful considerations would have to be made in order for them to be allowed during our 2 week long firearms deer season. As others have pointed out, it is not the weapon being used that is a cause for concern, as much as the person using the weapon. Unfortunately, these AR's will be giving more ammo (pun intended) to the slob hunters and unethical sportsmen with the "brown it's down" mentality. Imagine how interesting deer drives will get, when you have a couple guys sporting 30 round clips! LOL!

I also think guys who won their AR's from a raffle drawing, shouldn't be allowed to hunt with them at all. ;-)

30-Nov-16
I've seen people shoot Remington 141s and 760s darn near as fast as a semi and with accuracy too. Remington 14s and 141s slam fire on closing so just hold the trigger and pump away. We've been allowed to hunt deer in spec regs areas with unplugged semi shotguns and we still have a deer herd. NY has allowed semis for a long time and they still have a deer herd. I believe it has more to do with the mentality of the hunter and how he choses to use that potential firepower. I'd be more concerned with the caliber choice for big game. To Rut's question: Ok with air guns for small game. OK with semis over .260 for big game, any semi for varmints. Oh, and 5 round mag limits on big game.

30-Nov-16
OK, we all agree semi's should stay out of the deer woods.

Could we still use them to shoot zombies?

30-Nov-16
LMBO Josh! :)

Roy- nice Buck there- love the "character"!

BTW, I was asked to start a thread to get a bowhunter's perspective on the semi-auto issue. I think most of us have used rifles at some point in our lives! ;-)

And I highly doubt the PGC would allow 30 round clips for hunting.

30-Nov-16
Well the PGC better allow 30 round clips for zombie season!

30-Nov-16
Found a stray bag of sheepshead in my garage fridge yesterday. It had been in there over 4 weeks maybe? Wasn't pretty.

Justin, I hope you at least appreciate I'm trying to be cordial here and not argue about those 'outstanding' Rockets ;^)

I actually still have some Miniblasters, albeit a bit mutilated. Maybe you could drop some new blades in them?

30-Nov-16
Definitely yes to air rifles for small game. I know there are air rifles now being made that do well on big game as well, but I am not well versed on those so I will stay neutral.

Semis, I say yes for varmints. I say no to semi-autos for deer. I think 99% of semi users would be responsible with them. However, the potential for me or my daughter to be out in the woods while the bad apple 1% is unloading a clip on a herd of deer with their phony tactical crap gives me a really uneasy feeling.

30-Nov-16
Yes to all the above (allowing them), as long as the magazine is limited to 5 shells. I'd love to get my kids out there hunting with an air rifle. The squirrels would be in serious trouble!

30-Nov-16
Not in favor of semi's during big game season (period) Unfortunately enough people don't practice enough with a pump, bolt or lever action to become proficient on a second shot. Don't make it easier for them. IMHO.

30-Nov-16
We are bow hunters here. Why in the world would any true bow hunter want to see automatic rifles made legal for deer or anything else? Jesus H ******. Get a grip on your sorry ass! I don't know a single hunter that needs an automatic rifle to kill a deer. I've killed them with longbows and wooden arrows and flintlocks with round balls.

30-Nov-16
STEP AWAY FROM THE BEER, RC! ;-)

NOBODY said AUTOMATIC! You DO know the difference between semi-auto and auto, don't you Roy?! ;-)

30-Nov-16
Gunsite?

30-Nov-16
No beer here fuzz nuts, wanna be, wheel bow, mechanical head GIRL! Ya I know, all they gotta do is pull the trigger as fast as they can. For What? It's the first shot that counts! Not as fast as they can rip off the rest, as the deer is running 50 mph through the woods.... I guess it's just too hard to work a bolt or pump action rifle, HUH? You fought the crossbows, WHY? Your compound bow out shoots a crossbow. What was you scared of there, rut butt? I dunno know, I guess some girls just need all the cards stacked in their favor... Grow some balls and just hunt!

Next thing ya know, grenade launchers will be made legal... And a sissy pants like you will be the first guy to buy one... But hell, you prolly still couldn't kill a deer. You couldn't kill a deer out of an Apache Helicopter with two M-60 machine guns firing at the same time with laser sights.

And just who told you to start this thread? I'd like to know, just for chits and giggles.

BOWSITE? Well maybe it used to be...

30-Nov-16
Hey all. Since it appears that were rapidly becoming just another hunting/shooting site(see the crossbow thread on the main site): I was wandering if there is a classifies section for firearms. I have a 300 H&H built on a pre-war Model 70 that I am looking to move.

30-Nov-16
I'll trade ya my crossbow for it...

30-Nov-16
Is the pioneer airbow considered an air gun? A 375 grain arrow at 450 fps. Might be interesting to try.

01-Dec-16
Benign Observations: Nothing has changed here in five years 'cept the color of it, for most of ya what still has hair. Ya'll produce enough (hot) air yinz should be more excited about Blowguns...............

01-Dec-16
Lol, Ed.

01-Dec-16

Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
Jeff Durnell's embedded Photo
There's airguns out there nowadays that propel arrows. They've been out for several years actually. Is that where they're ultimately headed with this airgun crap? Boy, that would be some archery hunting there, aye? You know, for when crossbow hunting is just too damned tough.

01-Dec-16
the only problem I see for using semi autos for zombies is that the noise attracts more zombies. Gotta have a lot of extra ammo and always watch your back cuz even if you think they won't come from a certain area, you know... that's where they will come in. Happens all the time. sheesh. And if you run out of clips, you need to fall back on baseball bats and hatchets. And I never did like that whole crossgun hunting for zombies... seen way too many running around with bolts stickin out of them. gets the anti's way too fired up. :)

01-Dec-16
"I'm having fun, sticks:) Life is too short to be moody and grumpy." -RC

Looks like that train didn't stay at the station too long! LMAO, RC! ;-)

" I have a 300 H&H built on a pre-war Model 70 that I am looking to move." - Bob Hildenbrand

Bob, If that 300 is made of osage and shoots wooden bullets, shoot me a PM. I'll gladly take it off your hands.

"You know, for when crossbow hunting is just too damned tough." - Jeff Durnell

Please Jeff, enlighten us all on just how easy it is to hunt with a crossbow. Please post pictures of any creatures you harvested with one...be it deer, squirrels, or mushrooms.

01-Dec-16
I need a Recipe for chocolate cookies? :)

01-Dec-16
I'm heading out to the store for more pop corn, beer, and smokes:) Rut, Rut? Where ya at boy?:)

01-Dec-16
oh great... chocolate cookies-site???

01-Dec-16
We could throw them cookies up in the air and empty the clips on our automatic rifles to see how many we hit out of a dozen. We'd call it a cookie shoot out.

01-Dec-16
Holy Cookies? :) I like deleting my cookies:)))

01-Dec-16
Who's tossing cookies? Too much PBR? :-) I'll always prefer hunting with my bow BUT (even thought it got wheels!), at this point, I am all for more opportunity for everyone out there. Fought against cross-guns but lost that battle. Would I ever hunt big game with one, most likely not. Don't own one yet. But, if someone wants to take an AR-10 out there and shoot a deer, no biggie.

I'll be hunting with, my BOW, for a couple hrs before work tomorrow......

01-Dec-16
Roy- I'm here doin' work and LMBO at all the responses here! ;-)

I guess I'm just not a TRUE bowhunter since I occasionally shoot hand guns, muzzleloaders and yes even AR's! ;-)

01-Dec-16
Sell the guns and buy bows! I did it 20 years ago. No regrets.

01-Dec-16
Want a cookie big fella? :)

01-Dec-16
Semi auto for varmint (fur bearer) and small game only

01-Dec-16
Those airboz are muzzleloaders, right? I am Sooooo confused. Perry, what was the original question?? Never mind...just remembered if one really wants to he kin just go back and read the hole thing agin.....;) Think I'll just have a kookie.

And after reading the last dozen or so posts I (sinkingly) realize the shtuff I have I can't even give away..so I'm gonna put it in one of those masueleums when I cork off so people can look at all the crap I collected all my life.........

01-Dec-16
....and about those zombies, my grandson informed me we are safe from them in this house. Further informed me they (zombies) cant climb stairs, which you gotta if you're gonna get in this house. I asked him why they can't climb...and in matter o' fact manner he told me, "Papa, their knees don't work , cause they're dead. Jeez, I'm almost a freakin' Zombie..... and you all are still worried about multiple discharges???................

01-Dec-16
In all seriousness we better watch how the air gun stuff is worded. As Jeff Durnell stated there is a air gun that can kill buffalo, that shoots a arrow. How many of you know about the way it was worked on the Pa ballot that we voted on. The one that was worded that judges and Jp's had to retire by age 75. It was worded something like this.. "Should judges and j-p's be required to retire by age 75. yes or No" It was required before the vote that they retired by age 70. It was worded in a way that tricked us... Anyone remember that on the ballet?

So unless airbows guns are left out someway.. NO AIR GUNS AT ALL!!!! Trust me the airbow gun guys want airguns to go thru. Ed Rogalski

01-Dec-16
Like I said....

01-Dec-16
Ed, I realized the same thing. I have so much shhtuff, i feel a little guilty fetching any more, and am more conscious now of the quality and quantity of what I aquire, when I think I need it or can make good use of it, which is just about every day :^) (hunter/GATHERER right?) because I don't want to burden my family with it when I finish breathing. I suppose most all of it is combustible, so they could greatly simplify the dilution of my demise by striking a match ;^)

Speaking of that, email or pm me your address when you get a chance... I have a few combustibles that are screaming to be sent your way.

01-Dec-16
Oh Great!!! Now it's out there that I collect 'combustibles' too ;) I'll send ya the address in yer email...in which yer delinquent btw......but just now I'm headed out the door w/the slingshot ( forkt apple branch with live rubber bands 16" long) and a handful of 5/8" cast lead round sinkers..... I kin put one through one side of a steel barrel at thirty yards and kin hold a three inch group @ that range. .....did ya'll know Fritos cheese puffs are listed as an accelerant??

01-Dec-16

DaleHajas's embedded Photo

DaleHajas's Link
You guys think I'm funnin right? :) watch the whole vid on that link under the pic. Gimme a carton of Oreos and send me to the Milky Way! ~(8o)

Guess I should contribute...... ARs > predator and varmit only No Big game!

01-Dec-16
Remember the song from years ago? Well it's 40 below, got a heater in my truck and don't give a puck, cause I'm off to the rodeo?

That's my story and I'm sticken to it.. Way I see it, if the PGC passes all this high tech stuff and makes it legal, then there hain't no reason not to open bow season up year round. Life is good.....

Cept for the fact that the PGC commissioners hate bow hunters... And I think I know why...,.

01-Dec-16
I know, I know... need to read that last email you sent and reply. Guilty there. Sorry. Tonight.

5/8 lead... holy crap! You ain't playin. Gives me an idea though. Should of thought of that a long time ago... I'm an idiot sometimes.

Anyhow, peculiar(not really) that you mention the slinger, I have an osage slingshot I made decades ago that is 45# with the thumb k-nuckle to full anchor at the corner of the mouth with sweeper belts for 'propellant'. Its legend alone chases the neighbor's cats home when I shift a gaze their way, but roundish stones from the shop's perimeter won't penetrate the center of the lungs of a spot and stalked winter - fattened whistle pig at near point blank range.... although it makes a nice drumming sound and apparently motivates them to leave those young fruit trees alone ;^)

He 'knows me' now.

01-Dec-16
Oh, and got ya on the cheese puffs..... and fwiw, Fretos Corn Chips light and burn like a candle, and so make excellent firestarters.

01-Dec-16
at least a few of us are still enjoying our adolesence :)

02-Dec-16
I don't know what you fellas are worried about, I've been hunting four days and haven't even seen a deer. What difference does it make what weapon your carrying when there is nothing to shoot.lol

02-Dec-16
Havent been on here in quite a while, but its nice to see Ol Roy hasn't changed. Same ol agitator ya always was :)

03-Dec-16
The Game Commision has allowed semiautomatic shotguns to be used to hunt deer in five counties – Allegheny, Bucks, Chester, Delaware and Montgomery – that are defined as Special Regulations Areas. These areas not only have high concentrations of people but I also imagine hunters and have there been any of these "Pray and Spray" problems? HUnters should advocate for other hunters and promote the expansion of hunting. We all benefit when hunting grows. Crossbows, Semi-Autos....all of the doom and gloom predictions NEVER come true. Change can be good

03-Dec-16
Dan, I agree with the advocating part. However, you must not be a veteran of rifle season.

Change can sometimes be good. This is not one of those.

03-Dec-16
Exactly, change CAN be good, but it isn't inherently, or always. And so, in the long run, it pays to be critical of it... like most things.

04-Dec-16
I am new to the state from upstate NY, half of the guns I traditionally small game hunt with aren't legal here for it. I like the ones I have and honestly do not want to invest in anything new when I bought these for those purposes. I have hunted with every type of center fire rifle you can think of and I will argue I can shoot a pump(7600) or lever as fast as a semi when actually aimed. I shoot bolt actions and an encore generally but have used a 742 a bunch and never shot more than once with it. Hell, I spent a bunch of years hunting with shotguns and slugs in NY so any rifle is an improvement.

05-Dec-16
Dan, are you saying there isn't any spray and pray shooting going on now? I stopped hunting in the rifle season a long time ago cuz I almost got shot on opening day while sitting against a tree. Having the bark explode a foot from my head was all it took for me. A buddy of mine got shot in the back with a 30-30 when a guy took several shots at a running deer. Yeah, it happens. All you need is one guy emptying a mag at a running deer to make some headlines.

05-Dec-16
Say what you will but hunting is still safer than just driving to work. And be careful of what you would restrict regarding legal firearms. I remember a time when the rifle hunters didn't want bowhunters in the woods and we had to fight like hell for our time. And just because a semi auto is used, it's not going to make a jerk out of an otherwise decent hunter. Karma can be a bitch folks. I have zero problems with allowing semis in deer season. They are all around us in other states.

05-Dec-16
George, your surroundings are totally different than around my place. I hope the PGC keeps that in consideration. There have been petitions trying for shotgun only. One township has a ban on high power rifles, but no body can inforce it, other than it becomes another offense when a error occurs shooting at a deer.

05-Dec-16
They should be legal for all game right out the gate. Semi auto shotguns have been used for years in the most densely populated areas of the state. They are no more dangerous than a bolt, pump, or lever. It's all about the operator.

06-Dec-16
Guess I just live in a different area. With the "brown its down" attitude and almost unlimited tags I've witnessed more than my fair share of bad guys. The good news is the deer herd is way down and a major tract of land is now reposted and watched. (Equals less hunters.)

Semi auto shotguns are for the most part are only used in small game season around here and very few small game hunters anymore. I don't remember seeing a small game hunter in 2B this year, 2D yes. I wasn't in favor of the crossbows for everyone and I'm not in favor of semi auto's either. The kill factor has become way to important, over riding common sense. IMHO ( I seen three vertical bows all season and one was mine)

I could post all kind of negative stories, but I'll refrain and I'm also done expressing my opinion on this matter. It will be good for the tax money that it will generate for hunting and good for retail stores. And I'm not arguing its the operator.

06-Dec-16
Ah heck ya, George.. I can see it now on a deer drive, here comes the deer and 4 guys with semi-auto rifles and 30 round clips, crack off 120 shots at running deer. No thanks...

06-Dec-16
Hawkeye and RC, you nailed it.

Life is different when you get out into some of the other areas. The hunting experience can be downright scary. I have seen and heard many barrages of gun fire that I was glad no one was killed. One group of drivers that I know personally estimated 100 shots were taken at one buck until it was finally killed. I have been part of doe drives that I'm ashamed of.

Not one hunter at work is in favor of semi's for deer. Not one! Last night it was the topic of conversation on the line. When I was asked for my opinion I replied that hunters did not ask for this, the state is looking for more tax revenue. In fact my idea to limit weapons to single shot shotguns was not met with negativity. Learn how to hunt and how to shoot. (I also met another guy who hunts groundhogs with his recurve)

And yes, hunting is a relatively safe sport. But why make it more dangerous?

In the end it's all about individual choices. Just because something is legal doesn't mean I have to do it. The world is going nuts all around us but when I'm in the woods with my simple stickbow in hand all is well again.

06-Dec-16
Do you guys really think that an AR with a 5 round Mag. limit is any more dangerous than a 5 round Auto loading shotgun loaded with Sabots? I think not.

06-Dec-16
Bushy, show me an AR 15 with a 5 round clip. Thats like a corvette with a 4 banger under the hood. The crossbow guys spent their money whooing the pgc, same thing here with semi auto. What the hell ever happened to hunting the hard way? How about drones with guns mounted on them, is that next?

06-Dec-16
I bet you they put a 5 round mag limit on them, even for yotes. I don't own one and don't plan on buying one either. I don't care a rats patuttie what another man hunts with.

06-Dec-16
RC, you are correct. The xbow was nothing but a $ infusion, and now they get their cash from semi inclusion. What a world.

You can spray woods with Semi auto fire and pray you hit something. But we can not hunt a deer on Sunday with any weapon. How backwards is that?

06-Dec-16
BourbonTater, go play with your stickbow ya whiner...:)

06-Dec-16
LOL, Will do!!!!

06-Dec-16
Let semi-autos be legal for all game.

07-Dec-16
All of you that are making the argument against Semi-Autos are using the same logic and argument that Anti-Gun, Pro Gun Control, anti-2nd Amendment types make against our right to bear arms and own guns in the first place, you are making the same argument that Anti-Hunters use against all hunters. You are finding examples of when the worst among us demonstrate the most unethical, unsafe, behaviors to the point that you should not call them hunters and then you are saying that because these unsafe, unethical undesirables exists and behave poorly, then an inanimate object (Semi-Auto) that can be used in a safe and ethical way should be banned from usage by all safe and ethical hunters. Because drunk drivers exist all bars should be banned, because unsafe drivers exist all cars should be banned, because you don't NEED a Corvette to get back and forth to work all Corvettes should be banned from the roads especially during the Holidays when traffic is high. I have definitely experienced high volume hunting during the gun season on public land, and I have been frightened buy "hunters" in these areas, NEVER did I blame the bolt, lever, pump or break action of the rifle or the caliber or the rifle. I blamed the operator. The more freedom you have the more responsibility. If you are saying that people Can't handle the responsibility of safely operating a Semi-Auto, then you would have to argue that they can not safely operate any fire arm. And because there are SOME that may not be able to safely operate a Semi-Auto the ALL who could safely operate a Semi-Auto should be prohibited from doing so. I know I can safely operate a Semi-Auto for hunting.

07-Dec-16
I won't say that I'm in favor of hunting deer with SAs. Instead of taking my old, faithful Husqvarna 30-06 for the first day of buck season, I took my flintlock. These days I find more satisfaction hunting with the flintlock than I do with a scoped CF.

I've heard numerous relatively rapid fire strings over the years, and have to assume either lever or pump, and wouldn't expect the same shooters carrying SAs to be any more deliberate. Luckily, I hunt on private land, so know where to expect other hunters. I really don't expect the PaGC to allow SAs for deer carte blanche. IF they are allowed at all I expect there will be magazine limits. Excluding CF calibers under .24 (for deer and bear) would eliminate most SAs.

07-Dec-16
no Dan, We're making decisions based on our own experiances. I personally won't make a decision based on what someone else wants. I don't hunt rifle season because the few times that I did hunt during the rifle season my experiances were not good. The majority of people I met were good people and many were friends or could easily become friends. But I've also seen a lot of the people that I would never trust with a pop gun much less a semi automatic firearm. I've been hunting my whole life form upland game birds to bear. I support the second amendment. But I don't support use of semi-automatic weapons for deer hunting. If you need more than one shot to shoot a deer a hundred yards away, then you need to shoot your rifle more than once before the season opener.

07-Dec-16
You CHOOSE not to hunt rifle season, not because of the rifles but because of those who are using the rifles. You stated it would NOT matter if it was a pop gun or a Semi-Auto, so again you even realize it is not the gun, but the person. SO because there are people who you don't trust with a pop-gun that hunt, then I should be prohibited from using a Semi-Auto which I would certainly do in an ethical, safe and efficient manner. It is an illogical argument. "If you need more than one shot to shoot a deer a hundred yards away, then you need to shoot your rifle more than once before the season opener." Again Spider1 your logic is that people using Semi-Autos need more than one shot. People who don't practice with their bolt actions (We all have seen these types) are going to be people that don't practice with their Semi-Autos and people that Do practice with their bolt rifles will be people that practice with their Semi-Autos. Again, not the action or the rifle but the shooter.

People that don't drive their Mini Van Safely would also not drive a Corvette Safely, so then because some people don't drive their Mini Vans safely, then NO ONE should be allowed to drive a Corvette. It is the same logic you are using to choose to support that idea that Semi-Autos should not be allowed during the deer season.

07-Dec-16
BOWSITE?

07-Dec-16
Wow, back to comparing Semi's to vehicles? Safe, safer, safest. Cut it anyway you want Dan, we are not looking to follow the anti's lead nor do we not support the second we just have serious concerns for our safety. You understand that point? Echoed throughout this thread is the concern over limits on it's use and also control. It was a poll to ask our opinions. I stick to the opinion that even though some states may have safe records regarding it's inclusion. Pa is not among the litmus test. Meaning we have more hunters than anywhere in the country. Taking that into account, I can not imagine the orange pumpkins having at it with running deer without control. Dan, get it?

07-Dec-16
Whoa 5C...

Who whizzed in your Wheaties this morning?

LOL I agree wif ya..

07-Dec-16
dang it. I had just spent the last hour writing a responce, it was concise and the pros were interesting. A work of art that would have been studied in universities worldwide. But then I hit the wrong button and it was gone... had something to do with why you shouldn't be allowed to use hand grenades to fish for trout in the winter. such a loss.

07-Dec-16
I don't believe ah word of it, BOY:)

08-Dec-16
I don't care what they do one way or the other. I keep reading in here about the orange army and how there are people everywhere during gun season. That's how I remembered it too but not this year!!

My brother and I saw 0 hunters this year on a SGL on the 2nd day of rifle season. We walked making one man pushes to each other from daylight till 2:00pm and never saw another hunter! Before anyone says that it's because there are no deer on SGLs, we saw 45 deer and 9 bucks on the first day at the same GLs.

Someone told me that it was on the news that there were only around 550,000 license sold this year. From what I saw this gun season, I can believe it!!

08-Dec-16
Bowsite. Real bowhunters don't use guns nor have to hunt rifle season.

~(8o)

08-Dec-16
Zactly....

08-Dec-16
DANGIT Dale! I just spit soup all over my pc! ;-)

08-Dec-16
That's why I'm glad I'm not a real bowhunter Dale. I enjoy hunting with anything. Might even try a X-bow sometime. I'm sure I could have fun hunting with one of those too!!:)

08-Dec-16
I seen Santa Claus today, told him I want a crossbow and AR15 for xmas.

09-Dec-16

No crossbows here....

09-Dec-16
Oh great, here come the deer on the deer drive, and you're gonna blast 6 arrows into the air?

09-Dec-16
Those are bolts dude.... And yup I'm puttin on my AR panties under my camo crossbow skirt and Im gonna let em rip! ~(8o)

09-Dec-16

PAbowhunter1064's Link
BREAKING NEWS!

I just came across this in one of those WikiLeaks emails about Hillary Clinton...Seems ole' RC has been building more than just bows in that shop of his. I think he's got alot riding on the PGC allowing AR's for deer huntin'....jes' sayin!

09-Dec-16
AH Joshua, dog gonnit... You know how sensitive some guys are in here and now they will believe that crap...:) Ole 357's gonna be pissed:)

11-Dec-16
5 shot mag.

Not much difference tween a pump rifle and a semi.

Also include airguns for trappers to dispatch critters in traps, in "sensitive" urban areas.

PA hunting is very safe. More likely to die at work than hunting, unless yer in a treestand.

Those that still complain of the "orange army" ain't been in the woods much lately, have ya? What army. PGC now saying 550,000 were out the first day of firearms season.....

Over a million 20 years ago.

11-Dec-16
X2 Brad

12-Dec-16
geez, now I'm gonna die at work! They don't pay me that much! I quit!!! I'm goin fishin. ;)

12-Dec-16
You'll fall into the water and drown!

12-Dec-16
SA'S are no big deal. On opening day of Gun season I dropped 3 doe with a single shot 20 ga. H & R out of one group in less than 30 seconds...and have the video to prove it.

13-Dec-16
Ya right McQuacker.........

14-Dec-16
In "spare" thyme I am reading a history of the Commonwealth of Pa, published 2002 by the University Press (State College) given to me by Kevin Trostle at the UBP winter Banquet that year, and which I started at the April PGC meeting that year, the beginning of the "Seven Years War" over crossbow use. Ironically, I had not touched it since, but have devoured nearly 3/4 of it's approx. 500 pages in the last two weeks. There is a disturbingly common thread, showing not the least even in way of beginning to fray...to the subject here at hand. I never found myself capable of even defining that thread satisfactorily in the whole of my tenure with the UBP, nor in my dealings with those not affiliated, but nonetheless affected by outcomes. At this late date, and with new/old information at my disposal, and a willingness now to try once more to encapsulate my own viewpoints, all inherent risks therein assumed..... ....Pennsylvanians seem for whatever reason to be sadly lacking in an ability to pick their battles, prioritize objectives and goals in/with/and w/in the long range perspective, and subsequently develop cohesive strategies to obtain them in a systematic fashion.

That said, I perceive nothing to be gained, and much to be lost in this present 'crusade', and in the final assay will be a magnificent waste of human effort and time. And there are sufficient examples in the near past to support that 'viewpoint'.

Perhaps it is time to stop being "Pennsylvanian" and instead try being sentient human beings?

Happy Holidays, all of ya. ed

14-Dec-16
man I wish I could understand "flintnocker-ese". I bet that was something profound.

:)

14-Dec-16
He wrote it in plain english.

14-Dec-16
Nothin plain about how Ed rights. And I'm just teasin. I'm sure Ed knows it too... I hope.

14-Dec-16
Ya hain't been there, unless ya sat down and listened to Edward, RAMBLE ON, in person, quite confusing . I would love to tie Ed's and Mr. McQuacker's hands together and throw them over a cloths line. Sit back and drink a bunch of beers and maybe even smoke one of them funny smokes. Would be a memorable evening for sure. LOL

I myself, am not far from quitting hunting all together. Just tired of all the bull chit hunters get from politicians, appointed to the board of the PGC, and they know nothing and could care even less. I've been to those Silly PGC meeting, and at any one time, you could count at least 2 or 3 of the commissioners sleeping right up there on stage! And these are the folks appointed to govern the States Game laws and seasons?

ROFLMFAO.. Big Joke they are.....

14-Dec-16
Funny you should mention there Ole Roy..."McQuacker and I same sentence...and so unwittingly play right into the middle of MY plan:) And you wouldn't need bother learning a knot so as u could tie us together. You could do this and hang out with the Quack and myself at the 5C doehunt this coming event and do what you do best, which is many, many things usually at the same time? You see they have a big problem down there that I have promised Joe I would help him solve. Not enough hunters to satisfy the landowners they already have, and their are a lot more landowners clamoring for "help" with deer numbers. I am volunteering with all the educational stuff at my disposal to teach kids of any age ,toddler to bone racks like yerself, anything at all They want to learn...and I am capable of teaching. A loose 'committee' is forming as we speak. Personally speaking, for me it would be a Dream just working with a bunch of you all. And I'm not thinking "local" or...short term :)

14-Dec-16
BTW. Spider, knew you and I would be friends for Life within 2 minutes or less of when we started talkin' :)

15-Dec-16
yeah... that's cuz I'm a good listener! ;^)

15-Dec-16
:) Hey Roy, what Ed said. You & I are gonna have a talk after Christmas...and you're going to like what I have to share...even though Ed let the cat out of the bag.

I take pride in understanding what Ed says, crazy minds think alike.

15-Dec-16
crazy minds think alike..

Ya 2 peas in a pod yinzs are:)

15-Dec-16
....and you are a Bean RC. Now let's make soup....you bring the stew meat...or figure out someone who might :<)

16-Dec-16
RC is bean alright, bean a pain in my arse since I first met him.

16-Dec-16
LOL Bob.

16-Dec-16
It's likely that was the first thing Bob and I had in common all those years ago. That pain, though omnipresent as arthritis, can be tolerable. Ya git numb to it with time I guess.

16-Dec-16
Brother Darn-nell :) The same message I sent RC^, could be read as if for you. Part o' my plan would be for you to come with Ole R.C. Bean to 5C doehunt in the same podmobile and join in on the educatational experience as an instructor teaching an eager enrollment who would love to learn how to kill edible mushrooms under the guise of bowhunting deer....You would be the most obvious choice for a mentor of such fun;)

16-Dec-16
Hey Jeff....What if we were show a couple dozen kids how to throw really good whip/cleft and budscale and slip grafts...and the little buggers taught their friends..and thousands of KIDs started hanging Old world varieties of fruit all over the commonwealth....?? :)

25-Jan-17
OK- seems this topic (SEMI-AUTO RIfle use for hunting) is coming up for discussion at the PGC meeting this weekend! if you have an opinion, please take the time to share it with the PGC!

[email protected]

26-Jan-17
Rut, thanks...

Will be sure to let them know. "Dear PGC Commissioners, please make sure you restrict people from hunting on Sundays further, and ok a plan to "spray and pray" our woods with high powered rifle fire". Something like that? I mean if they have larger clips, they may be able to hit something. I know they have a hard time with 5 rounds fired one at a time, let alone clips with 20 or more fired in fast succession.

26-Jan-17
LOL! I don't think there will be any "spray and pray" if they go varmints only and 5 shot max. But if you are really concerned about it, then go for it.

My e-mail went something like this: Dear Commissioners,

I am an avid hunter from Pike Co. I was very glad to see the Legislature pass legislation recently to remove semi-automatic weapons from the list of unlawful(banned) firearms for hunting. I adamantly support this legislation and would like to see the PGC now take the next logical step and allow them to be used for hunting. I think the appropriate step would be to allow them for varmint hunting initially.(coyotes, foxes and groundhogs) Then with study, and careful consideration maybe deer and other big game in the future. But I think that should come after years of observation and careful study of their use for varmint hunting.

I see no reason why they should not be used for varmint hunting. Functionally, AR’s are no different than any auto-loading shotgun or rifle. The trigger must be pulled each time to fire a single projectile. I would suggest however that there is some provision to limit the capacity of the magazine. I don’t think we need 30 round clips for hunting. 5 shots should be sufficient.

I am eager to use my AR-15 for coyote hunting which I participate in every year. I think the .223 round is perfect for varmint hunting and would be a little more efficient than the .22 mag I am using now.

So I ask that you give this issue careful consideration and allow us hunters another tool in the arsenal, so to speak, and give us another reason to use our AR’s instead of just target practice at the local range.

Thank you for your time and consideration in this matter.

• Sitka Gear