Sitka Gear
F-IM Ibex Hunt
New Mexico
Contributors to this thread:
Oryx35 29-Nov-16
xcooper23x 02-Dec-16
Muddyboots 03-Dec-16
29-Nov-16
I was one of the lucky few to draw a F-IM ibex hunt. I'm planning to get boots on the ground after the youth hunt in January, but with this year's once-in-a-lifetime and fall archery hunts in the books I thought I'd see what photos, stories, and advice people were willing to share.

I've been through all the old threads. I'm VERY impressed with those of you that have done it with a bow, especially those that got in close. I'm primarily a bowhunter, but with no prior 'mountain hunting' experience and limited time off work I thought the any legal weapon hunts were a better 1st and 2nd choice this year.

A couple of questions for those that have been there during the season: 1) How busy is the mountain with 50-100 hunters? I assume the animals get bumped around a lot? 2) Any recommendations for a place to tent/car camp? Places to avoid? 3) How are the animal numbers? I'm sure the unlimited tags deal a few years back had an impact on the number of animals.

02-Dec-16

xcooper23x's embedded Photo
xcooper23x's embedded Photo
I just killed a nice billy on my once in a lifetime last week. shoot me and email. [email protected]

03-Dec-16
I had a similar hunt a few years ago- I think it was in October then. I camped at Rock Hound State Park at the north end of the Florida Mtns. Power, water, showers, etc. If you PM me I'll say where I got my female. I don't think you'll see that many hunters on the mtn. The unit is fairly large, some hunters won't get out of their vehicle, some won't show up, etc.

• Sitka Gear