Bluedog 03-Dec-16
Bowriter 03-Dec-16
bb 03-Dec-16
Gene 03-Dec-16
bb 03-Dec-16
jax2009r 05-Dec-16
bigbuckbob 05-Dec-16
30-Nov-16
Finally getting back to New Mexico for a bow elk hunt in 2017. Did a lot of research on outfitters and got suggestions from guys on the NM site as well. There's something special about planning a big trip to a new area that really excites me. Now I just need to be lucky and get pulled in the draw for a tag.

Anyone else planning a big trip in 2017?

30-Nov-16
My last "Big hunt" was in 2012 for elk in Colorado. My big hunts since then have been annual bird hunts to northern NH or ME for grouse and woodcock with a friend and our Brittanies. I would like to give myself another elk hunt for my 70th birthday which will be in 2018. Holy shit! 70!!!

30-Nov-16
Gene - that's exactly why I'm going in 2017, I'll be 66 yrs old in 29 days, so nearly 67 next Sept. I'm still in good shape, but each year it gets a bit more difficult to maintain. I cranked my bow down to 60 lbs for deer this year and I want to crank it back up for elk, so I'm increasing my workouts at the Y starting tonight, more upper body, not just cardio.

30-Nov-16
Bob, I'm heading to MT again in September for elk. Doing a DIY this time around.

Good luck drawing a tag in NM....you might want to look into a land owner tag if you don't draw. How many points do you have accumulated?

I'm at the Y 3-4 times a week right now. Let me know when you're going and I can help you train. I'll also be hiking starting in January. The training sucks.....but it makes the hunt easy.

30-Nov-16
Bloodtrail _ I go to the Southington Y, be there tonight around 4:45 till 6:00. I actually don't mind the training, used to do sprint triathalons, road races and basketball, so been doing it my whole life.

New Mexico doesn't have points, just a lottery, higher odds if you go through an outfitter. I had to buy a landowner tag my first year out there, cost me an additional $2500 that year. I have an outfitter that sounds really good, great references and seems very honest about the hunt. Montana was always my dream state to visit, just beautiful out there,....some day.

30-Nov-16
Good luck Bob - what an amazing adventure! Looking forward to hearing about your adventures when you get back... and those along the way getting ready!

Have fun man - Will

30-Nov-16
Thanks Will. I know Dr. Deer goes to New Mexico chasing elk and he even used the same outfitter as I used. It's so difficult making a decision on an outfitter from 2,100 miles away.

I've said it before on this site - if you've never had an elk bugling come in to your call, you just can't imagine the adrenaline rush you get when you see that "HOG" coming at you!! I'm like my 8 yr old grandson the night before Christmas,....can't wait.

30-Nov-16
Better check my plans. "New Nexico"??? Where is that?

30-Nov-16
Should plan to buy a land owner tag. It's tough to make plans to hunt elk there in a given year if you're relying on the draw. Unless of course you're applying for a low tier unit with few Elk.

01-Dec-16
bb - unit 6, about a 18%-22% chance of drawing a tag. My outfitter can get landowner tags but they want $2500+ for them. I have a 2nd outfitter that can provide landowner tags for total cost of $5200 but that's a 2X1 hunt, not my first choice but I may have to do that.

I hunted unit 13, Cibola National Forest, a couple of times, had to buy a landowner tag the first year and got picked the second year for the first season.

01-Dec-16
Yeah, the landowner tags are steep, some of the better units, 15, 16, even more so. 18-22% isn't bad but still tough to plan for a specific year.

01-Dec-16
I just did a DYI Elk trip in Montana....I had a giant 6 x 6 at 40 yards but no shot...I shot and hit a nice spike with Brows tines but deflected off a branch and hit him low....my buddy got a spike.....I was beat up after....running the hills for two weeks is tough on the body...I agree though nothing like hearing the bugles up close

01-Dec-16

Richm444's embedded Photo
Richm444's embedded Photo
New Mexico is beautiful - I hiked two weeks with the Boy Scouts in 2014-

01-Dec-16
Yeah it is. Too bad those states (NM, AZ) have to be a draw, I would hunt them every year.

I hunted AZ this year, passed up three in the 320 class range. Mis judged the distance on a 340 type bull and shot under him and saw many more that I couldn't get shots at. and had a hunter screw me up and sneak in up wind on a high 300/s bull that I was working and stalking and blow him out, but that's public land hunting. I ate my tag. But it's a blast

01-Dec-16
BB we were working three nice bulls that were going nuts in one bowl all within 200 yards of each other..they were racking trees......and 2 hunters come in the bowl wind at their back blowing there cow calls and blow them out....we were above the elk wind in our favor waiting for the next move....

01-Dec-16
Yeah, that happens alot. Elk make noise and when they' bugling they attract everyone that can hear them. Unfortunately someone ends up getting up wind or seen. The Elk I was hunting kept trying to circle down wind of me, I kept backing out and circling in front of him, I was getting closer looks at him when all of a sudden he was gone. I happend to catch sight of another hunter stalking in from the area I had just left which would have been upwind. Just the way it is on public land can't do anything about it or get upset, just have to move on to the next one. That's why it's way more difficult to consistently kill bulls on public land than if you have a ranch or private land all to yourself.

01-Dec-16
When I hunted unit 13 which is public land, Cibola National Forest, I never saw another hunter except in camp. This is huge area and there are lot of FR roads (fire roads) so you can for miles to get by yourself, stop and start hunting.

01-Dec-16
They were probably around, It's amazing how many you don't see until they screw you up.

02-Dec-16
you don't see the hunters until the bugles start then it is like a magnet

02-Dec-16
Just like turkey hunting I supposed, but luckily it hasn't happened to me,......yet! Not sure I'll be able to do a live hunt in New Mexico as the last time I went I had to hike a ridge each to call my wife to let her know I was still alive (hunting solo, no guide).

03-Dec-16
Fishtailranch.com Great hunt included tag.

03-Dec-16

Bowriter's embedded Photo
They be singin in the meadows.
Bowriter's embedded Photo
They be singin in the meadows.
On my last NM, trip, I had a mild heart attack in the bottom of a canyon. But I am seriously thinking about going back. I have an open invitation to come at no charge. I just might...if they will just lower that mountain about 4,500 feet.

03-Dec-16
Problem with Elk Hunting, once you get hooked, hunting whitetails just doesn't have the same appeal anymore. At least for me. Of course, If I was routinely killing the kind of bucks that Pat does....

03-Dec-16
bb - I hear what you are saying! You can (in my opinion) go on only one elk hunt because you will always want to go back again. If I had only one animal to hunt every year it would be elk.

03-Dec-16
Bowriter....sit water, that's where all the big ones are killed anyway.

05-Dec-16

jax2009r's Link
I agree once you hunt the Elk Rut in the mountains coming back to CT to hunt deer is tough....although packing them out is much easier

05-Dec-16
jax - being hooked on elk hunting is like having a scratch in the middle of your back that you can't get to itch,....it drives you crazy!

My first year I missed a 370+ elk at 33 yards; and I can picture my arrow sailing directly at the shoulder, at, at, at,.......crap, OVER the shoulder. That shot is typically a chip shot on level ground, no wind; but the elk was trotting between a 5ft opening, and I think I was looking at the rack when I let the arrow fly.

I gotta go cry now,.....yet again.

• Sitka Gear