Contributors to this thread:
Willert88 02-Dec-16
beaneater 02-Dec-16
YZF-88 02-Dec-16
Novemberforever 02-Dec-16
Kevin 02-Dec-16
Windlaker_1 03-Dec-16
02-Dec-16
I was wondering if anyone could recommend an out of state hunt. I would like it to be a public land do it yourself hunt. Info I am looking for is where, what time of year, species hunted, price of tag (can you get them over the counter or have to earn points) and any information about the hunt in general. Share your experience such as camping or staying in hotel. I want to do something in the next couple of years as I can't afford it right now just want to see what is out there.

02-Dec-16
I do most of my hunting out of state just because I prefer to hunt different animals than just whitetail deer. Fly in Caribou in AK is my favorite hunt, I go every few years. Elk/ Mule deer out west. Antelope as much as possible. Build points in as many states as possible WY for sure. Start a special savings account having the money taken out of your paycheck before you see it (I do $25 a week). Buy gear when it's on sale or borrow from other people.

02-Dec-16
Where I hunt in Idaho the main meadow where people park is FILLED with two crews from Wisconsin. Maybe you could somehow find them and they could show you the ropes. Per the game warden I talked to, their success rate has been higher than mine lately!

02-Dec-16
Look at the huntin fools website. They breakdown every state by unit, costs, odds to draw, ect.

02-Dec-16
If money is a concern, but you still want an adventure and get your feet wet I would go rifle hunting for doe antelope in Wyoming.

A doe tag is $48 and the WY conservation stamp is $12. You can either apply or wait for the leftovers, but there aren't points for does.

I just looked at the unit I hunted on the WY game and fish website and the total quota of doe tags was greater than the first and second choice applicants.

Seasons usually start Oct. 1st but some open Sept 15th.

I tent camped on federal / BLM land. The only place you can't camp by rule is on state owned land.

You can also apply for a second doe tag.

So for $60 in tags and gas money you can have a western adventure and score some awesome antelope meat.

03-Dec-16
South Dakota Archery Deer $286.00 tag, OTC - Whitetail or Mule Deer. I personally have seen the biggest WT ever out there, but never had a shot at them. Black Hills National Forest...camp where you want, or go to private campgrounds in Custer if you want showers, electricity, etc. We've been going for 6 years. I've shot 2 bucks 2 does, all Mule Deer. Almost zero hunter pressure, which is why we keep going back.

• Sitka Gear