RutnStrut 02-Dec-16
Swampy 02-Dec-16
Mike F 02-Dec-16
glunker 04-Dec-16
Jeff in MN 04-Dec-16
glunker 04-Dec-16
stagetek 04-Dec-16
02-Dec-16
My son shot his first elk this Sept in WY, 6 point on day 5. Anyhow he takes his boned meat to Pernants in Ixonia to get burger ground, hot sticks and sausage. So far after almost 2 months they can't seem to find time to grind his burger but it appears they started to make his sausage by combining his elk meat with other customers venison. This was after he got a clear understanding from them that nothing like would happen. Now they think this should not be a problem taste wise or other. Then he talked to a friend that had a deer processed there that realized he did not get the ring bologna that he ordered. The friend goes back to inquire, so they look around and find some bologna that problaby was his and tell him they won't charge him extra for the bologna when he has already paid for it. Anybody have any experience with this place? I could believe it might be a one time screw up except for they think his sausage will taste the same after they randomly blend in Tom Dick and it's hairy deer meat.

02-Dec-16
Still don't understand why someone would take their venison to a place that doesn't guarantee your own meat back. Do yourself a favor and go to Brads in Watertown. You need a minimum of 15 pound batches (after he cuts in the pork), but he guarantees your own meat back.

02-Dec-16
Not sure if you have the time but I highly recommend processesing your own. The prices they charge around my home is insane. I had a friend get his bow kill processed and was charged $700, we did two deer from last year's gun season in my uncles garage for about $50. I know not everyone has the time or resources but if you can find a few buddies, watch a few YouTube videos and buy a case a beer it makes for a fun day with friends.

02-Dec-16
+1 Willert Processing is probably the most enjoyable part for me.

02-Dec-16
I take all my venison to Spring Brook Meats in ElK Mound. By far the best tasting finished product and you will get your own venison back. I knew a guy that worked there and I asked him how they separated the deer and he said every deer is tagged and that tag stays with the deer and trim until its done. Plus when you drop the deer off you get the tag number and when you pick your meat up you get the tag as proof. In my opinion well worth the drive, ive seen how other hunters have treated their venison I wouldnt touch it.

02-Dec-16
I go to Pernats in Johnson Creek every year, great service and speedy. No complaints, but I take mine in in late March.

02-Dec-16
I do all of our processing, actually doing it right now. There is not a professional processor in the world that is as picky as I am or that will do it the way I want.

02-Dec-16
For $700 it better be gold wrapped .

02-Dec-16
That's why we built a butcher shop in the basement of our new home back in 2002.

To many processors don't tell the truth!

04-Dec-16
My son learned a lesson. To top this off, my son picked up his burger meat to take it somewhere else and finds out this place had thawed his meat from gallon freezer Ziplocs and combined all 28# into a different bag and refroze it but did not seal the bag and it was freezer burned.

04-Dec-16
One tip if you don't do your own grinding or sausage is to wait until spring to bring it in. That way you eliminate a lot of the chance for mixups.

The way some people handle their wild game in the field and after is horrible. I couldn't handle it if there was any chance they mixed any of my meat with others.

04-Dec-16
I got fed up enough to order a STX turbo force 2000 watt grinder. What sold me was the reviews, price and it has a foot control. Anybody have any experience with this unit?

04-Dec-16
I just picked up 42# of assorted venison sausage from Applewood Market. It used to be Ablers in Mt. Calvary. About 15 miles East of Fon du Lac. They keep some strange business hours, but they make great sausage. And, it is all your own meat.

• Sitka Gear