Pete-pec 04-Dec-16
Mike F 05-Dec-16
Tweed 05-Dec-16
Elkaddict 05-Dec-16
xtroutx 05-Dec-16
Mike F 05-Dec-16
Tweed 13-Dec-16
04-Dec-16
So for the last 20 plus years I have always processed my own game. I am very picky with removing all silver skin, blood shot, etc... The one thing I haven't done is grind my own burger. I usually take all my trimmings in sometime in February and have a trusted processor do it. While I have been totally happy with this. I wanted to do the grinding also. So I picked up a decent electric grinder. Here's my problem. I added 1lb of fatty bacon to 3lbs of venison. The ground venison tastes terribly gamey. Yet the steaks and roast from the same deer taste fine? Even when I use this burger for a pasta sauce, the gaminess is present. I only did 6lbs as a test batch for this ratio. Any suggestions? Change the bacon to venison ratio? Add beef suet? The venison trimmings are clean, absolutely all pure meat. No silver skin, tendons, fat, or anything but meat.

04-Dec-16
How old is your bacon ? We had the same thing a few years ago and it was because our fat had gotten freezer burnt. Wouldn't have known except the 100% ground venison tasted fine.

04-Dec-16
I'm pretty sure it's the bacon. Bought a 10lb box from the local grocery store. I'm sure it's been froze and thawed many times. The people that own this place love to resell bad and expired food. I took a chance as they have a great meat dept. but this is bacon they get in on a truck.

04-Dec-16
25% pork butt to 75% venison is what I've always mixed it as. I do not trim the fat off the pork butt. Never messed with bacon, but I'm hearing it used by a lot of people.

05-Dec-16
I added bacon once and pork once. My wife didn't like it so all my burger is 100% venison and no complaints for a long time!

05-Dec-16
Mike F- do you actually make hamburgers out of it or just put it in dishes? I would think you'd have a heck of a time keeping a 100% venison burger together.

05-Dec-16
I grind literally a couple hundred pounds or more per year. That which will be used for actual burgers will have 10% beef suet mixed in. Mike filled me in on that and they are the best burgers I've ever eaten. Otherwise for any chili, spaghetti, taco's, etc, I cook it straight.

05-Dec-16
20% non trimmed pork butt 80% ven. for bacon burger I used 20% smoked bacon ends instead of pork. I get my bacon ends from a butcher nearby and is always fresh.

05-Dec-16
I have an attachment that makes 7 ox burgers. Works well. I think they are a little dry, but my wife likes them. I can live with that!

13-Dec-16
So can you just go into the local Pick n Save or Mejir and get suet?

• Sitka Gear