STM 14-Dec-16
longbeard 14-Dec-16
bigbuckbob 14-Dec-16
whaler 14-Dec-16
STM 14-Dec-16
notme 14-Dec-16
soapdish 15-Dec-16
06-Dec-16
Hey guys, after having the worst season here in my life I was thinking about CT next year as it is 10 minutes down the road. Just curious what you guys are seeing this year? I see the harvest numbers are low but is that telling the real story? It can't be worse then here.

06-Dec-16
Started pretty good the slowed up if the state doesn't start cutting rages back we will be the same as mass

06-Dec-16
I'm not going to rate my season until its over, but so far its been one of the worst and one of the best seasons I've had. I strongly agree with Steve, We need to cut back on rages for sure.

06-Dec-16
Spike good year for me , out 2 times one miss one killed . But coming off 3 dry seasons anything is good . Where about are you im ten from mass line

06-Dec-16
I'm in Hampden MA above Stafford. Unfortunately the worst zone in CT but I like the bigger woods so it's all good I guess. Rages? Do you mean tags?

06-Dec-16
"I laughed, I cried. It was the feel-good season of the century. 2 thumbs up!"

On a more serious note, I have seen more deer this year than most, however many were does with fawns early in the season that I couldn't bring myself to shoot. Had a 6 and 8 point in bow range, but no good shot was available so I watched them walk away. Missed several potentially good Saturday mornings during the prime time so I could go pheasant hunting with my son. We had a great time together and a I made a couple new friends while doing so, so it's all good. Still plan to get out several more times before the end of December, so I am not ready to call it a season just yet. If I do have to eat my tag, at least I will be able to cook it in some pheasant broth...

06-Dec-16
enfield here . Good hunting in starfford

06-Dec-16
Good season. Passed three does and two six pointers. Shot one nice seven point.

Saw deer much more frequently than the last three years combined.

As long as the harvest numbers keep going down and guys keep passing does, we'll have some really good deer in the years ahead.....and easy winters help too.

06-Dec-16
What zones are you guys hunting?

06-Dec-16

06-Dec-16
Tie for worst season ever.

Due to two foot surgeries and medical treatments, I haven't even got my permission slips signed. It looks like I'll be out for at least another month at best. Can't even drive nor walk.

06-Dec-16
Mostly 8 & 9.

06-Dec-16
Honestly I couldn't be more blessed.. To have a season that I had and it being my first it was awesome.. I seen at least 25 deer I hit a spike on opening day and on the third day I killed a doe.. Unfortunately I was way to excited with to many deer and missed 4. Missed 2 does and two spikes.. I've never seen soo much sign in my entire life.. I've never seen rubs so big in my entire life.. Hit one missed 4 and killed 2.. And of course we can't forget my beautiful 9 point buck.. What an amazing year.. Adventure.. Made some awesome new friends on this site.. Could not of asked for anything more.. What an amazing year

07-Dec-16
I hunt in zones 11 and 12 so my view on the deer population might be a little skewed but I was only able to hunt 5 days so far due to college. I saw around 15 deer in those 5 days along with turkeys and a fox. I plan to hunt every day for a week straight when I get back on the 17th. As of now I have seen 3 different bucks and 2 sets of does with 2-3 fawns each. I have a nice 6, 8 and 10-12 on my camera and I have been letting the little bucks walk for now. My dad shot a doe and missed a 4 pointer.

07-Dec-16
zone 11 and tags LOL

07-Dec-16
FAIR

Saw deer early in the season and then it trailed off. As long as I see deer on SOME outings I'm happy, so a fair rating is just based upon seeing big bucks and having close encounters.

07-Dec-16
Zone 11..my mission was to target certian big deer...passed on a crap load of does,forks and 6pts...up until last week of November there were good numbers day and night..not so much now,just starting to see does again.

07-Dec-16
Hey Crow,,I thought Steve was gonna build you a shooting platform in the back of his truck..lol

07-Dec-16
I told him I would bring him to the spot near the water in a wheel chair .LOL

07-Dec-16

Richm444's Link
I am on the border of zones 6 and 11 - we always have an abundance of deer but the big bucks are all night walkers like this boy in the video

I am always content - never disappointed

07-Dec-16
I had a great season took a new hunter out.He saw deer all but two times .His girlfriend called my wife and told her he cried when telling her about the time he shot a buck and doe on the same sit.So even though I only shot 2 does it has been a successful year good luck to all.Its not over yet.

07-Dec-16
Definetly one of the best seasons I have had. Shot two of my biggest CT bucks. Freezer is full and have couple weeks to go!

08-Dec-16
Lousy so far. Work has gotten crazy busy for me, then sick for a week, and the times out hunting I have seen very few deer in areas where I normally see plenty. It 's not over yet!

08-Dec-16
Worst season in 16 years of hunting. I managed a nice 10 pt but I have been off of work the last two months to hunt and going pretty much everyday and my sightings have been horrible. Besides yesterday it's been 2 weeks since I've seen a deer. I'm running 20+ trail cams and getting minimal pics and even less buck pics.

08-Dec-16
Zone 7, my worst year in CT in a long time. I did pass on does all the way until the rut and never saw another deer again. In PA I did see one of the largest bucks of my life, just couldn't get a shot off. It's all good, I just enjoy being outside!

08-Dec-16
Silverado, you killed "a nice 10 pt" and yet this has been your "worst season in 16 years of hunting?"

08-Dec-16
Yes as far as sightings go and the amount of time that I put in on stand. The 10 was the first racked buck I had seen all season, as well as the last that I have seen. Normally I will see 5-6 shooter class bucks a season on stand (shooter class for me is 120"). I haven't even seen scrub bucks this season. Now I'm obviously stating seeing and shooting are two different things. Also to go two weeks straight without seeing a deer at my spots is insane.

08-Dec-16
For all the time he has been on stand that's the only mature buck he has seen and no wear near the doe sighting as past years WHAT DO YOU THINK DOC ??AND THATS IN MANY DIFFERNT TOWNS IN FF COUNTY. THINK WE ARE KILLING TO MANY ??? DAD

08-Dec-16
Mine was okay, probably piss poor by many of your standards but with work and family, I don't have a ton of time to string days together. I'm happy to be out there. I hunt big tracts of state land and if it is poor, I usually didn't do my part to find them. A successful year is getting at least one shot at a deer a year. I drew back on one deer in CT but never offered me a clean shot so I didn't take it. Gun season was good to me and my brother, filled our one tag each on state land. PA hunting was fun for archery but never had the opportunity at a legal buck. No acorns there whatsoever. Passed a small 5 point and had a couple spikes in range but not legal. PA rifle season was poor, but highlighted by my nephew taking his first PA buck. Besides that, the highlight of my season was taking a state land coyote with my 10 year old son with me and a .17HMR while we were squirrel hunting. Season is not over, but should get out there a couple of more times. Good luck all.

08-Dec-16
Considering how little time I was able to get out, I would say A. I think I only went bow hunting 3 or 4 times, and saw a deer each time. No problem putting meat in the freezer during gun and saw one decent buck I bumped before I could get a shot off. There seemed to be a lot of deer around.

08-Dec-16
I saw a good amount of does with fawns this early fall. Good for herd. Rut was not the best for me but I guess I have to admit that I just dont have the patience for long term sits. My max is usually about 3 hours so hit or miss at rut time for sightings. As for harvest numbers across the state, I just called in a harvest three days ago and I was in the 11,000 harvest range. I think thats about typical for this time of year. My butcher said hes pretty busy this year compared to the last few.

08-Dec-16
ok season...my goal each year is to shoot one deer in a hunting spot I never hunted before.....I shot a 6 pointer in a spot I never hunted before...I have hunted a good amount of time and have not saw a lot of deer ...so from that stand point not so good....I went to Montana on a Archery Elk hunt DIY..although no kill was 30 yards away from a giant 6x6 with no shots....so overall good season...like to put the icing on the cake in Dec

08-Dec-16
Dave & Steve,

Your comments bear serious reflection; what is going on? If you followed the Kill report thread you'd have noticed that after a great start we're now lagging behind 2015's total. On the surface that shouldn't be and in fact we should be crushing 2015's numbers.

Let's look at the odds for a great year; the winter of 2015 was not only almost snow-less but unseasonably warm. We also had a phenomenal acorn crop to provide ample forage for the winter, aided by the lack of the deer needing to dig through snow for them. In short, we had, on the surface a recipe for one hell of a 2016 season.

Unlike the fall of 2015 this year's fall did not suffer from the almost every weekend a wash-out rain event and we sure as heck didn't suffer through the abnormally warm temperatures. In a nutshell we had the deck heavily stacked in our favor for crushing, absolutely crushing last year's numbers if not record harvest numbers.

So again, what happened?

I'm pretty sure a number of posters know the answer; you can't kill what isn't there. Numbers don't lie and these numbers tell a pretty clear story. The question is what do we do about it? We can always carry on as per usual and in some areas where the loss of deer isn't as pronounced get by for a few more seasons. The harsh reality is our chickens are coming home to roost. Years of unrelenting doe take are coming home to roost.

We can take the lead here and do some serious self-regulation. We do hold that power; to take only what is needed and to start shooting a lot fewer does.

In closing as a point to ponder; for those of you with an interest in keeping tabs on the weather it appears we're in for a double-whammy of a lot more snow (I've seen estimates of 80-90") and as you'll see beginning mid-week next week it's going to be a lot colder this winter than last. In short, not a good winter for deer.

Proceed with caution folks.......

08-Dec-16

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo
Take a step back for a second and read this over again: “Normally I will see 5-6 shooter class bucks a season on stand (shooter class for me is 120").” And “Also to go two weeks straight without seeing a deer at my spots is insane.” I realize that Silverado likely puts in a huge amount of effort on stand and clearly does his homework, but statements like this means that we have been in an overabundant situation for too long and seeing that many shooter bucks or deer in general has become the norm, the benchmark with which to compare future seasons with fewer deer. Guys in ME, NH, VT, and the Adirondacks routinely go multiple SEASONS without seeing a deer, never mind 2 weeks of a near 20 week season. Now we are in a “healthier” herd situation so I know guys are going to see fewer deer on stand and will have to accept the new reality and be happy with their 1 or 2 deer/season and not be disappointed they didn’t take their usual 5 or be pleased with taking a trophy class buck every 2 or 3 years instead of every year.

To answer Steve, DEEP regulations are providing hunters more than ample opportunity to kill deer; I’d say that over a decade of 4.5 months of archery hunting annually, unlimited tags, bait, and now crossbows has taken a toll on the suburban deer herd, likely halved it or more, which was the intention. Last year was a pretty low harvest and because I am a numbers guy and DEEP tracks this stuff, I looked at the numbers DEEP provided for 9/15/16 - 11/30/16 (http://www.ct.gov/deep/lib/deep/hunting_trapping/pdf_files/ReportedHarvest.pdf) and compared those to the 2015 Deer Program Summary numbers for all towns in Fairfield County. I realize last year was a bad one and that guys aren’t pleased with the reporting system, but that has not changed from last year. Also, the reporting is different between the two and the only reporting column that was consistent was archery. So these numbers are for archery take for all towns in Fairfield County for 9/15/16-11/30/16 as compared to 9/15/15-1/31/16. So the reporting for this season was for the first 76 days of archery hunting and already take has surpassed (or is the same as) the total 2015 archery take for many towns, specifically: Bethel, Bridgeport, Brookfield, Easton, Monroe, New Canaan, New Fairfield, Shelton, Sherman, Stratford, and Westport. And in total, there were just 123 more deer taken in FF County in 138 days of archery hunting in the 2015 season than were taken in 76 days in 2016. We could look at deer taken per calendar days: 2015 = 8.4 deer/day, so far, 2016 = 13.6 deer/day. While I do not disagree deer numbers are down statewide, it is clear that 2016 archery take in FF County will be higher than it was in 2015.

08-Dec-16
In all my spots in MA the sign is there and I got numerous deer including 10 different bucks in one spot on cam. I haven't seen a deer on stand but I will not say it is because their are no deer as the sign and cams show that their are. 90% of the deer on cam were at night. I also scouted one spot with snow on the ground and hunted it next morning to find deer tracks walking on top of my boot tracks from the day before. I have no doubt my lack of sightings was due to nocturnal deer then no deer. I'm guessing CT may not be that different. Silverado how many day vs night pics did you get?

08-Dec-16
Doc, I hate to say it but you're right (about this, not about most things!).

The whining about there not being enough deer or not enough big deer really has to stop. We are starting to sound like a bunch of millennials where our only safe space is in a tree stand watching a daily parade of 120 inch bucks.

Who scores bucks anyway? Is that still a thing?

08-Dec-16
Thanks Toonces?? I grew up in central MA and moved to Zone 12 CT in 2000. The contrast in deer abundance was ridiculous and shaped my attitude about CT deer and CT deer hunters. We did not see deer in MA when I was a kid, like ever. It was a huge deal to see one never mind kill one. If you killed a deer, people several towns away heard about it. So here in CT, it's not what it once was (and never will be again), but there are still lots of deer around. You just need to adjust your routine and hunt the pockets where they are, not where you used to take 5-6 a year. Cause guess what? The deer ain't there any more cause you took 5-6 a year from there...

08-Dec-16
Ironically though it was the hunters that did the hunters in. Their is no need to kill that many deer with the replacement tags unless you are that poor where you survive on game animals. Here in MA it's so bad I would feel guilty shooting just two deer in one spot. If I bag one I try a different spot and would only shoot a buck.

08-Dec-16
Good overall. Just different. I've learned a lot this year about deer and not just chocking it up to some excuse I concocted lol.

08-Dec-16
pretty good season so far, not as much time in the woods, new first grandchild! But with that said I have taken a decent buck with the bow and rifle. Seeing a lot of wildlife while hunting which I enjoy. Full freezer with plenty of season left. It has been a odd season, the rut seemed to be late, some days not seeing many deer and this Tuesday saw about 20, go figure.

08-Dec-16
Spike, my night to day ratio was probably 70/30 night to day but even with that cameras are showing very few does. These sightings are from Norwalk, Darien, New Canaan, Redding, Fairfield, and Wilton. These sightings and observations are not only mine but the collection of at least 15 different hunters.

08-Dec-16
The numbers being down could be a good thing too. Maybe guys really are starting to pass deer and not kill whatever walks by.

How many guys on here passed numerous opportunities? I know I did.

I love when I hear "the land can't support the deer". Well then, let's make the land better for the deer and then we can have more deer around. It's the long-gone days of backwards thinking of killing more deer because the land doesn't support them......let's create better habitat.

08-Dec-16
This makes perfect sense. Surviving deer behavioral response to getting hammered by guys with arrows during the day since mid-September. Deer quickly learn to become active when guys aren't out, at night. I guess hunters should think of hunting deer like training a dog. If you give animals enough negative stimulus, they will adapt and adjust behaviors accordingly. I'm not sure hunters realize how much their behaviors influence deer behavior. Deer aren't responding randomly, they are responding to being pursued by dudes relentlessly since mid-Sept. With fewer deer around, hunters need to adjust and be smarter than their prey instead of letting their prey educate them.

08-Dec-16
I talked to the butcher yesterday. The last two weeks were almost all bucks. Had at least 30 in the cooler.

08-Dec-16
No disrespect to Silverado and his dad Steve who are class acts as far as I'm concerned, but Silverado, when you say this is the worst season you've had in 16 years, am I correct in assuming that you've been bowhunting FF County since 2000? If that's the case, I would agree with you that we are below numbers from then. Meaning you started bowhunting FF when there were more deer than there are now. I would absolutely agree with you and it proves my previous point, that archers are using an incredible and unsustainable deer abundance as their benchmark standard and in doing so, will always be disappointed and will never be happy with DEEP given that we are at more sustainable and realistic densities now a days.

08-Dec-16
I got plenty on cam. Was able to bag a 4 and a 6 pointer, so a good year for me.

09-Dec-16
Yea I have been hunting since 2000 in CT. However the decline didn't start happening drastically until around 2011-2013 season which was most noticeable to me and the guys that I hunt with. I agree with you,in the early years of me hunting those #'s were un-sustainable, however can't we find a happy medium? I would be happy with this setup. Do away with the earn a buck tag and the replacement doe tags and the January buck tag. Let's have 3 doe and 2 buck for archery, and a 2 doe and 1 buck firearm tag. (No extra for muzzleloader) if your lucky to harvest your buck during the rifle season your done, if not you can continue to use it through muzzleloader. I think that is more than liberal enough with tags. That allows a hunter a chance to take up to 8 deer per season. Not many other states even comes close to that opportunity. I'm just saying let's be realistic in our management plan, before we deplete our deer herd to a place very similar to mass, VT, and Maine.

09-Dec-16
Dave, your ideas make sense, which pretty much guarantees they'll never be adopted by our State. Hunters have in mind numbers that are both healthy for the habitat and the resource. Government workers are answering to a different master.

If you pay attention to what they say, once in a while what they really mean comes out. If they could bring us northern New England numbers and yet continue selling lots of licenses and tags, they're happy. They admit that their deer density goal on State Land is 20 deer psm, yet they're working hard to continue to cut it well below that on private land in much of the state. Look at the issue of Fawn Recruitment, the observations and the research suggest a problem, has a solution been put in place?

It pains me to say this but, I don't know one serious deer hunter that has faith in the integrity of the DEEP biologists as far as deer numbers are concerned. Look at the self appointed expert who loves to chime in here, speaking (unofficially of course) on behalf of the state. He'll point out that there are tons of deer out there, "you guys just don't know how to find them". Yeah, that makes sense. I can find deer in Sherman, Greenwich, Putnam County NY (and other states), but in Redding I just forget what they look like. If it was just me, maybe they'd be right. But I talk to a bunch of experienced hunters, as well as non hunting property owners, the fact that they are all seeing far fewer deer, is irrelevant to the biologists. The biggest BS line I have heard recently was used to explain why the fenced deer proof enclosures showed the same level,of browsing inside as out: "an abundant acorn crop means that the deeer don't have to eat the plants around it".

Until hunters take it upon ourselves to limit our take, the numbers will stay low, they'll continue to issue unlimited/ too many tags.

How many times has Doc said that we hunters just want unsustainable numbers? They don't speak for me, and I'll keep saying it. The goals of (some folks at the) the DEEP are different than mine.

My season has been great in terms of enjoyment. In terms of deer numbers seen, in person and on camera, those numbers are way down.

09-Dec-16
What I wouldn't give to see 20 dpsm. Up in the NW corner my guess is that we are in single digits in most places. This season was very difficult. I haven't tallied up my journal yet, but there are lots of hunts with no sightings. I hunted almost every day until about thanksgiving. I wasn't dead set on doing so, but I passed every immature deer that has given me an opportunity this season. I only shot one deer, but a very respectable one.

IMHO I fully believe that to rejuvenate the herd here to late 90's levels of maybe 20dpsm there needs to be an established bear hunting and bobcat trapping season, and pause for two years of no deer hunting or three years of just one tag a year. I would make that sacrifice.

09-Dec-16
I remember Aquarian hunting ten years ago...there were Deer everywhere....I would see 20 a sit....

now they are still there but you have to hunt them....not so easy ....you gotta work for one...

09-Dec-16
I agree with you Jax on the aquarion property however with all my sits on that property with 0 sightings and running my trail cam, I had about 90% nocturnal pictures. I even adjusted to try and sit as tight to heavy cover/bedding as I could and cam still showed movement about an hour after dark.

09-Dec-16
??????. I've yet to get anything.

09-Dec-16
I've actually had a great year, saw alot of does and fawns in September and bucks of all different sizes all season. Ended up taking 2 bucks and a doe.

09-Dec-16
If guys are not happy with the tag system, they should collectively approach DEEP and go through the process and lobby them to change it. But when aerial surveys are being done in areas where guys are complaining about densities being “dangerously low” and over 40 deer/square mile are being counted from the air, I'm guessing that tag allotment won’t be changed anytime soon.

Chas, we are all in agreement there are fewer deer statewide than there once were like 10 years ago. No one is denying this. DEEP completely agrees with this. Their management goal is not and never was to recreate the unsustainable densities of last decade as it seems you think they should be doing. As far as Redding, I gave you guys all the locations of deer I saw from the air, multiple times. I know guys are seeing deer in Redding because in 2014, 156 were reported killed by hunters despite all the White Buffalo drama. And that is about half the harvest of what it was in the heyday with a DEEP estimated 60 deer/square mile. And what results did DEEP and CAES repeatedly come back with for Redding during all this drama? Uncorrected densities of 30 deer/square mile. I think you need to find a new hunting spot in Redding. I think that is the answer instead of blaming DEEP, me, the tick study, Dave Streit, etc.

“The biggest BS line I have heard recently was used to explain why the fenced deer proof enclosures showed the same level,of browsing inside as out. . .” I think you mean deer exclosures to keep deer out, right? Enclosures keep them in. And if they truly are deer proof fences as you say, how can you be seeing deer browse damage on vegetation both inside and out?

09-Dec-16
Really Doc back to this???? The aerial studies are complete BS and we can agree to disagree on this but your count and then doubling the number for the correction factor, during winter months etc, I don't agree with. You keep going back to 40 deer per square mile. I can guarantee you there are very very few areas with numbers that high. Most areas are 15-20 at best, and keep up with the tag limits the way they are going and we will be in the same boat as the states I listed before. As well, why are we referring to data from 2014?? A lot of deer have been killed since then, way more than the herd could rebound from.

09-Dec-16
Yup. Back to this. You guys think the aerial surveys "are complete BS" because their results are counter to your "boots on the ground" "surveys." I don't work for DEEP and have never used a correction factor of two. You'll note I said "uncorrected densities of 30 deer/square mile." Siburn and the Redding crew complained that densities around Huntington SP were "dangerously low." Wildife Division Director Jacobson used taxpayer and license fee funds to take Siburn up to count deer where he claimed they were "dangerously low" and he and Siburn counted about 40 deer from the air without correction.

Chas was complaining that he can't find any deer in Redding. Other guys found 157 deer in Redding in 2014 and despite a tough season, harvested 110 in 2015. My point is that Chas needs to find new hunting grounds in Redding because other guys are killing deer and he isn't. Complaining on this site isn't helping his cause. And a point to be made is I'm not killing the FF County deer, and DEEP is not killing the FF County deer, you guys are. So who is to blame?

09-Dec-16
Did I sound like I was complaining? Scott, your trying hard to defend a position everyone else here knows to be complete bullshit. You seem to insist on continuing to make yourself look foolish, don't let me stop you.

09-Dec-16
It's completely counterproductive to argue about any numbers that at best represent a snapshot in time; those of you (and Dave you're definitely one as is your Dad) who invest 90-100 days a year hunting and hunting MANY different spots, hunting in optimum conditions know far better what the on the ground reality is.

You guys have a vastly deeper set of data points so my advice is to stop beating your heads against the wall with an endless, circular "debate" and act on what you know to be true; as many of you have advocated don't let the arrow fly at everything that passes under your stand; that is 100% within your control. We can self-police and don't need to be told it's time to dial it down; that's patently obvious to a good number of the posters here.

If you want to argue about something that will make a difference take the comments made by grizzlyadam to heart; start arguing with DEEP for a bear season and at minimum trapping for bobcat and fishers, but push for hunting those predators too.

Knock down the predators and practice a bit of self-discipline and the deer herd will be fine. It's good to see so many posting about shooting fewer deer; spread the word folks and everybody wins.

10-Dec-16
So let me get this straight. You guys think DEEP's aerial surveys are "total BS", no deer hunter has any respect for DEEP biologists "when it comes to deer numbers", and you all know the current tagging system sucks. But you want DEEP to reduce tag allotment and that will save the herd? If everything that DEEP does are lies and useless, how is reducing the number of tags going to help anything, particularly given the current tagging system?

Chas, I am merely offering a perspective that differs from most on this site, but is consistent with looking at deer hunters collectively as DEEP does instead of every man for himself. I would counter that it is you making yourself look foolish in insisting there are no deer left in Redding when the DEEP take numbers clearly demonstrate that there are.

Mike, there is a trapping season on fisher already, 11/20-12/31 limit of 4. I am sure bobcat is soon to come. You should see all the bobcat photos we have from the 30+ game cameras we have up in backyards throughout Redding. A handful of bear photos too and some slammer backyard bucks.

10-Dec-16
I agree mike but down here in this part of the state, bears and bobcats aren't the issue. Now with the NW corner of the state that's a whole different ball game. The most I get down here is coyotes, and not many. everyone I see on stand I make it a point to kill. As for self control I strongly agree, that's why with the hours I logged on stand have only taken 2 deer.

10-Dec-16
As always Mike your spot on . We all most chose to pull the trigger or not .

10-Dec-16
Silverado, your saying that you passed up deer and shot "only" 2? Damn I wish I had those crappy deer numbers up here!

10-Dec-16
Yea spike but u need to take into account that the time that I put in on stand is in my wife's terms insane. I probably log 150+ sits a season. As well as having access to some properties that I am very lucky to have. Not many guys can say that they put that much time in the woods, so for the average hunter to log that he /she may hunt 2-3 seasons if not more. So to only have a handful of deer inside 30 yds isn't that great.

10-Dec-16
150 sits? Are you guys hiring lol.

10-Dec-16
Steve, you said piggy back ride not wheel chair. That's why I said yes.

10-Dec-16
I know you got that nice buck Silverado but what other deer did you get to? Maybe I missed it??

10-Dec-16

SILVERADO's embedded Photo
SILVERADO's embedded Photo
I got a doe back in September.

11-Dec-16
Piggy back ? How about a wheelbarrel ?

11-Dec-16
Dave didn't include checking 20 cameras and probley 60 stands I can't keep up its a full time job for him for 6 weeks straight plus part time for the rest of season till Jan 31

11-Dec-16
@steve,lmfao...

11-Dec-16

11-Dec-16
On a personal note work commitment destroyed my season, my time to get out was reduced to about 20% of what I'm usually able to hunt. Have not seen one deer while on stand in Ct and Massachusetts.

11-Dec-16
O ok Silverado.. Nice doe bud.. Maybe I wasn't on the site then..

12-Dec-16
This year I have scene the least number of deer in the last 45 years hunting Zone 11 FC (Fairfield County). Our season starts around early summer field mowing / haying and tree work throughout FC which covers about 60 days onsite + another 30 days hunting. In 2016 the deer numbers are just not there any longer, properties that had 3-6 deer no longer have any or just the occasional animal passing through. This year should be a real eye opener for most hunters throughout FC and CT. With the DEEP stating that 2016 should be a banner year and in reality it is not much better than the 2015 season, which had the lowest harvest numbers in the past 20 + years; even with the addition of crossbows now at 40%+ for used archery implements and Sunday hunting.

With DEEP not willing to make changes or lower doe take, baiting or the late January season the problem will only get worse. Hunters throughout CT have the ability to change what the DEEP will not, by not harvesting does and concentrating on "bucks only" we can assure a good future for CT hunters for years to come.

12-Dec-16
Glen, you post every year on the deer in FF county but you never post how many you saw or shot while hunting.

12-Dec-16
spike78 - I`ve scene very few this year, and have not harvested any deer this year to date.

12-Dec-16
For me, it's a work in progress.

Glen, "This year I have scene the least number of deer in the last 45 years hunting Zone 11 FC (Fairfield County)."

So why do you bother hunting there? Doesn't it make sense to go where the deer are?

13-Dec-16

"This year I have scene [sic] the least number of deer in the last 45 years hunting Zone 11 FC (Fairfield County)."

Makes sense with hunters taking full advantage of 4.5 months of archery hunting per year, baiting, crossbows, unlimited anterless tags, etc. Maybe my math is off, but the first legal deer hunting season was in 1975, 41 years ago right?

13-Dec-16
Scott,

There's nothing wrong with your math; check what Glen wrote though and you'll note he refers to "hunting", not deer hunting. Small game hunting in CT predates deer hunting. It should go without saying that one may encounter other animals while hunting grouse or squirrel in the woods.

To this day the biggest buck I've ever seen in CT was on a day I was squirrel hunting in Harwinton with my father-in-law. I jumped him in his bed and he stood up no more than 20 yards from me-couldn't have missed him if I tried, but a)no deer tag and b)I doubt the #8 shot I had for squirrels would have done more than annoy him.....

13-Dec-16
Doc, you're a tired act always trying to bring the gas truck to put out fires.

In one breath you say hunters can't bring deer levels down effectively and the next you post that it seems about right that deer levels are low since hunters have such liberal seasons to keep killing.

Wasn't there bowhunting before the first legalized gun hunting season in CT....I believe so.

If you can't play nice and offer good suggestions about archery hunting.....can you even shoot a bow......have you helped anyone less fortunate than you....have you offered anything that makes anyone a better hunter or person....

Tired act.

13-Dec-16
Bloodtrail - you're correct, the archery season was in place prior to the gun season in 1975. You're also correct that Doc appears on the site only to present his agenda. You're correct yet again when you say that Doc says hunters can't reduce the deer population significantly, and then in the next breath credits us for the sharp decline in the herd!

And as an update to the failed tick study (unless you're WB) the CDC reported an increase in the incidence of lyme disease in 2015 even though Doc had his good friend Tony get big money to kill lots of deer,.........and lyme disease went up. Wait, did I mention that lyme disease went up, if I failed to do that then let me say lyme disease went up. And in the same article it states that the scientific community states the increase in lyme disease is due to,......wait for it,......."CLIMATE CHANGE" Gotta love those liberals!!

EASTON-REDDING-WESTON, CT — According to a recent report by the Center for Disease Control (CDC), cases of Lyme disease in 2015 have increased.

13-Dec-16

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

13-Dec-16
Good point Mike. Thanks for the education Ace. I guess the DEEP deer fact sheet should be more specific to firearms hunting.

Bloodtrail. Hunters can get deer down to densities they consider to be low, around 30-35 deer/square mile. That is about where densities are in FF County and as Glen said, might be the lowest in 45 years. From a blacklegged tick, gardener, vehicle collision, and ecosystem health perspective, 35 deer/square mile is still very high and conflicts with the public will still readily exist. Now because deer in CT are owned by the public of CT and not just CT hunters, DEEP have been asked to manage deer for the public majority of which hunters are not. I will stand by my previous statements that hunters very rarely, if ever, can get deer densities below 35 in residential areas. It’s been a while since I have shot a compound bow, though I did shoot a crossbow a few weeks ago. And I routinely shoot fiberglass longbows with my kids in the yard during the summer. I shoot guns a lot though. And if you haven’t discovered Tannerite, it is loads of fun. Shove a 20 ounce Coke bottle full of it into a 15 pound pumpkin and see what happens. . . . I consider myself pretty fortunate, and sure I help people less fortunate than I.

13-Dec-16

Bob. You again? We treated ticks in 3 neighborhoods in the Town of Redding. We were not attempting to lower Lyme disease rates Town-wide never mind in the 3-town region of Easton/Weston/Redding. And who said it failed? Want to see some results from the study on tick abundances? You guys might be tickled with the results…. But your statements on your Patch “research” on Lyme disease peaked my interest so I went to the CT Department of Health page and looked at stats. A better way at looking at disease instances is by standardizing them so they are comparable and not by looking at cases/town. 50 cases in Bridgeport (160,000 people) would not raise any eyebrow but 50 cases in Union, CT (956 people) likely would. So the Dept of Health offers cases per 100,000 people to compare. So the attached graph is of LD cases in Redding per 100,000 people from 1991 – 2015. I could claim success and say that LD incidence was the lowest in Town in 25 years right in the middle of our tick study (2014)! But that would be disingenuous to say the least as there are many factors in play beyond us killing a handful of ticks on 30 properties.

13-Dec-16

Not sure what to make if this. The area circled in green does not include laboratory confirmed results while the rest do. So that decline from 2002 to 2003 is more dramatic than it should be.

13-Dec-16
Hi Doc - oh I'm still here. In the middle of your study???? Really??? I thought the deer had to be removed first before you could conclude that less deer = less ticks = less LD??? So what you're saying Doc is nothing concrete came from your study and our money was wasted on a failed study, just like I've been saying since the start. Just like the Staten Island project will fail, but Tony D from WB will succeed. Typical government practice of wasting someone else's money. Inconclusive is the best you can do. The only fact that we know of is that the bank account of Tony D from the WB increased.

You made an interesting statement though - "many factors in play beyond us killing a handful of ticks on 30 properties." When you kill the deer, where do the ticks go? Are they harvested off the deer and killed? Or, do they go on their merry way to re-infest some other deer or person???? Hmmmm?

13-Dec-16
Bob. Jeez. So hostile. Obviously our measure of the impacts the treatments had on tick abundances was not the number of townwide Lyme disease cases and certainly not cases in neighboring towns. We sampled ticks on all participating properties and mice from the same properties over 4 summers and compared the numbers to a control neighborhood where no treatments occurred. It's called science. And I have not shared those results with you yet.

You want the Staten Island project to fail and really hope it doesn't work so hunting will be the only "solution." Say what you want about WB, but those guys, maybe 3 of them, have darted and sterilized 470 male deer since September. Numbers like that are going to have an impact. You can cross your fingers and bad mouth the project, but that's a lot of sterile bucks.

To answer your question, because 90% of female deer ticks in our area get their final blood meal from deer, if the deer aren't there, they will seek other hosts. However, the majority of them will fail to get their final bloodmeal, will not have any energy reserves, and will die before laying eggs.

13-Dec-16
I was really enjoying reading this post until it became a pissing match!! Why does it always turn into this?

13-Dec-16
Gas up gas truck....

13-Dec-16
Longbeard,

if it will help I'll post a Celtic women Christmas video........

13-Dec-16
Bob thinks that wildlife biology is an extremely lucrative field. He should try make a living in the field.

14-Dec-16

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/oS1yAwVmiXQ

14-Dec-16
longbeard - I apologize for my participation, but this is what happens when Doc doesn't post how his season was, but rather tries hijack the thread for his deer herd agenda.

Please return to regularly scheduled program:)

14-Dec-16
Deer are starting to move still late just at dark ??

14-Dec-16
?? Should be smilie face

14-Dec-16
I hunt in Wilton and have seen deer each of the six times out, the most sightings in years. I also have many different deer on my camera moving at night and alot of youg deer which is nice to see. Unfortunately the only shots have been on deer to young for me to harvest. Best of luck this season and be safe all. Stephen

14-Dec-16
Sorry for whining guys...I just get so tired of this. I was going to participate but someone might be upset at what I have to say and what my season experience has been so far. I don't have the time or the energy to deal with this, as I am pushing hard just to see a racked buck on stand! :)

14-Dec-16
Are most guys seeing deer in the mornings or late afternoon hours? Sounds like late afternoons, just before dark.

14-Dec-16
Season has been above average. Saw more high quality bucks and lots of does with skippers. Shot one buck, passed two others. Saw deer every sit (hunted 8 times so far) except 1.

Checking my cams this weekend if it looks like rain is coming in. Have 3 weeks undisturbed.

14-Dec-16
Saw 5 deer tonight around 4:15 pm. I had four does wondering around just outside of 50 yards and then a high fork buck came and ran them off. It was another positive day in the woods. STM

14-Dec-16
Been watching the swamp..very little in the morning,most movement has been between 3:45-5:00pm..just starting to see them at night again..not good for me ,planning on an all day hunt friday..where the hell do they go?

15-Dec-16
Monday and Tuesday they tore up the acorns under my stand prior to my arrival in the morning. Full moon is my guess

• Sitka Gear