shawnm 07-Dec-16
Moons22 07-Dec-16
Brian M. 07-Dec-16
MCDM 07-Dec-16
GF 13-Dec-16
N8tureBoy 14-Dec-16
GF 14-Dec-16
06-Dec-16
Anyone have any experience bird hunting via archery? Just wondering how feasible this would be and what tactics were used. It is apparently legal in CT from what I can tell. I assume recurve bow and flu flu arrows are in order. Have seen some "bird-heads" at cabelas that look like a blunt tip with 2 loops of piano wire. Am thinking about pheasants over a pointing dog next year or maybe jump shooting puddle ducks?

06-Dec-16
From MA, but creep on the ct forum some times... Try to gain permission on a field that geese regularly hit. Set up the goose decoys in the field and set up your ground blind on the edge of the field in woods. Try to call them in and get them to land. You'll have some fun shooting at them with archery equipment... No flu flu's, Just some cheap broad heads! Good luck!!

07-Dec-16
Funny, I was thinking about bow hunting geese, which also seems to be legal in ct

07-Dec-16
Arrows are way to expensive for that

07-Dec-16
I would have to agree with jax on that one.. I guess if you got some old arrows you don't use for hunting I would say go for it.. But as far as nocking a new arrow to shoot at a bird.. It will drain your wallet real quick.. Especially if your shooting good arrows which I know by talking to all of you I would bet most of you do... Good luck.. Maybe try and pluck them off before they get flight.. Shooting at a flying bird will definitely take some serious skill. I'd love to see it.. I grew up watching Bryon Ferguson with a recurve hit aspirins, dimes and all sorts of amazing shots..

07-Dec-16
If you let them land, it's basically like shooting a turkey. Just reuse the arrow.

07-Dec-16
Its not that expensive when you hit your target. When you miss that is when the arrow has the potential to damage i.e. Rocks, trees, etc.

07-Dec-16
I use to goose hunt with a compound bow and flu flu arrows. We actually killed geese too. We hunted in a cornfield and never lost an arrow. It's a blast. But practice. We hung a target on a rope and swung it back n forth. It's a blast

07-Dec-16
MCDM - Ouch!!

07-Dec-16
No but I'm sure most of us here aren't going to hit a flying bird everytime with an arrow.. Even if you lose just three arrows your talking around 50$ Even the best miss mcdm

07-Dec-16
Gotta let them land!!

07-Dec-16
Paul@thefort gets it done in small game section.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?threadid=459163&messages=77&forum=9

07-Dec-16
My apologies that comment was not meant as a dig or anything!! I should have mentioned that you need to practice. The time you spend practicing will limit your misses. Flu Flu's are recommended as they will be easier to find if you miss. Yes the best do miss but as a few stated you have to let them land. The costs of this sport can add up quick but that is something I think you just will learn to except or and every archer has limits so be honest and don't do it if cost is the overall factor. Me personally I live and breathe archery and hunting and I am not rich but hell this is what I do so I except the costs and risks that it may present because its a passion. Again I am not trying to make digs on anyone, to each his own. I would encourage anyone looking to bird hunt with a bow to at least try it once for his or herself and have fun and be safe.

13-Dec-16
"Gotta let them land!!"

Not necessarily... but it does help!

There's no need for arrows to cost $15/pop, but you're probably way ahead of the game if you don't attempt it with a compound. Not only will a 1-string bow allow you to learn to take shots at flushing game, but you can bring your costs way down by shooting wood or maybe even the cheap, chinese import bamboo shafts.. gets it down around $2/shaft, and if you fletch them pretty generously, they're not hard to find unless the cover is deeper than the length of a shaft... And the higher the shot angle, the easier they are to find.

Those bird head with the big loops.... Snaros .... JMO, they're ridiculously heavy... somewhere around 250, IIRC...Never did worth a damn with one... Didn't have enough range!

Personally, though... I would use broadheads.. maybe with a Zwickey spring-arm collar to reduce the overpenetration. If you're going to shoot them on the ground, one of the guillotine heads might be the thing...

The only bird I ever took on the wing was on a headshot with a Judo. Worked perfectly, but what wouldn't have???

14-Dec-16
Thanks for the info. Was thinking of getting a recurve and would consider trying to shoot pheasants flushed over a dog, but I have concerns about using broad heads if a dog is part of the equation, since neither of mine are steady to shot. Have always been intrigued by those Snaros on the shelf, GF, but sounds like it may be best to leave them there.

14-Dec-16
Kinda depends on the poundage of the bow, I guess.... I suppose maybe with a light, stiff carbon shaft it would be possible to get the total weight down to where you had some decent zip...

Also, the one I bought was the really big one, so a smaller version would be lighter, and maybe even light enough?

So I think my first non-blade choice would be the good old Judo... seems like it'd tear up some meat, but really only if you hit breast directly. I've eaten plenty of Blue Grouse shot with Judos and don't recall a problem.

Too, they make the Kondor, which has a lot more wingspan. Think I'd give that a shot... Definitely no BH with dogs, because you get blood on that head and you know who's going to clean it off for you...

• Sitka Gear