notme 09-Dec-16
spike78 09-Dec-16
steve 09-Dec-16
Moons22 09-Dec-16
MCDM 09-Dec-16
GF 09-Dec-16
notme 09-Dec-16
08-Dec-16
Hey guys I have been thinking of buying some land for hunting in CT. I can't afford FF county and I can't afford a lot of land. Is it even worth buying say 10 acres in CT? How many of you have had success on small acres not counting FF county?

08-Dec-16
Let me re-phrase. I meant on small acres of private land that are surrounded by other land. Also what is the smallest total land you were successful on?

08-Dec-16

shawnm's embedded Photo
shawnm's embedded Photo
I seen sooo many deer this year. On opening day hit a spike and on the third day killed a doe.. Missed another spike on that day to.. In 3 days of opening I seen 12 deer.. Got some awesome pics of a nice bruiser in the area to.. And its all within 2.5 acres.. 10 is def enough.. If your buying land for hunting I'd say scout it and the area to.. Gl

08-Dec-16
How many acres are surrounding the 2.5? What zone are you hunting in?

08-Dec-16
It all depends on what the 10 acres hold. You could buy a thousand and not see anything. Or just buy the 2.5 that Shawn hunts and call it a day lol.

08-Dec-16
Lol.. Its off the tracks and its just a small patch.. There are other surrounding patches but down the tracks.. In mine its completely surrounded by a highway that they can't cross and the houses on the other side.. Its all surrounded besides the tracks.. I'm in zone 12.. I guess deer pop is high down here.. I really do see a lit of deer.. In a half acre on the side of my house also right across from where I hunt I've seen st least 10 does on separate occasions.. Two weeks ago I had a beautiful 6 holding down a doe with her fawn.. I was about 30 yards from him and couldn't get a shot.. I almost ended up hitting him with my van.. So I guess it all depends where it is and I'd def agree with soapdish and say its def an area thing and give it a good scout.. Trails.. Rubs..old rubs...

08-Dec-16
10 acres can be good but it just depends on the area. You would have to evaluate on a case x case basis.

08-Dec-16

Bloodtrail's Link
Lots of land in CT for sale. Just find something where the surrounding land is wetland or can't be utilized. Check out the link. Good luck and good hunting.

08-Dec-16
Nice link bloodtrail..

08-Dec-16
Although the data may not be that reliable...

But if you can really get 1979 acres for $30, my IRA is TOAST!!!

09-Dec-16
My two smallest spots are 15 and 11 acres. I feel very uncomfortable hunting them. The 11 acres has houses in every direction, once the leaves are off the trees I wont hunt it. Before I got my slip signed I went and spoke with every neighbor to make sure they knew who I was and that they were cool with me hunting nearby. And explain the possibility of having to track or recover a downed animal on their property. That was not easy, but I cant see hunting it any other way. I can't understand how all you SW CT hunters can hunt little pieces like that. You can make a good hit on a deer with a bow and still have it run several properties over. Make a marginal hit and spend the day knocking on doors to track a deer, or just trespass?

09-Dec-16
First off I think knocking on ever persons door to let them know your hunting is way overboard.. If you got permission to hunt the property then you have permission.. I could understand explaining myself if they asked or seen me entering but otherwise no.. And nobody said anything about trespassing and if that was the case that the deer did end up in there property then yes I would ask.. Sometimes this site gets out of control.. The whole I'm a perfect ethical hunter and how could you do that really gets old.. And that's why deep made the no minimum acreage law for bow hunters.. Down here it is overpopulated and a lot of the deer are in suburban areas..

09-Dec-16
Did you ask?

09-Dec-16
I agree with you 100% grizzly. I've had a couple of small properties over the years and I'm just not comfortable with hunting them when they can run 50 yards into someone else's property. Especially when the property owner tells me that his neighbor to the south would not allow access, etc. This is part of doing your homework and applies to all aspects of the hunt even after the animal is down.

09-Dec-16
I don't like hunting a piece that I can see houses...I try to find bigger woods which is why I hunt state land and not private...the deer activity might be slower but that is just what I like...the deeper or bigger the woods the better.....Not taking anything away from the small piece guys ....just my preference

09-Dec-16
That's when you explain to them "hey I legally killed a deer overs here. It died in your backyard. If you want to give me permission to recover it I will. If not you can keep the dead deer in your yard."

09-Dec-16
That should impress them.

09-Dec-16
I should re word that. You explain to them politely what happened, and that the deer is dead in their yard. You ask politely to recover it. When they say no you say "ok then, you can keep the dead deer in your yard." They'll let you recover it.

09-Dec-16
Ninja mode.

09-Dec-16
Moons you should look up the story in FF county where that happened and the home owner let it rot in her yard lol.

09-Dec-16
we have a spot were we heard the neighbor cut the horns of and said now take it to the guy that was hunting .I had a lady that shot fire works off when I hunted there and notes on my car don't shoota the deer .I told here I was very carful that I would only take perfect shots when she did that I told her I was shooting every deer that came into the yard that I was hunting on and if they died in here yard it was her fault she never bothered me again and that is about 10 years ago .LAND OWNER SAID IT WAS OK HE DIDNT LIKE HER.

09-Dec-16
Hahaha people are unbelievable.

09-Dec-16
I agree with Grizzly on what he had to say. The ethics of a hunter are more than what is published in the books and media thats out there. What Grizz is doing is the right way and if you look at it could be opportunity later on ie. access, intel on movements, the list can be endless. I hunt 3 properties one is 14 acres, one is 6, and my prime one is only 5 but due to the owners house literally it is reduced to a 40yard stretch of land. I have tagged more deer on that parcel than anywhere. However it is because the land around supports that population and holds a steady number.

09-Dec-16
JMO... If you are hunting where it is entirely foreseeable that an animal will be able to make it to a neighboring property before it expires, then you should gain recovery privileges IN ADVANCE in addition to notifying the property owner before you exercise them.

Interesting story about the lady who sawed off the rack and THEN granted access... Wondering if she wanted it, or if she only did it out of spite. Either way, I would not want to be in possession of an un-tagged set of antlers from an unreported kill... Just sayin'.

Fireworks? Hunter harassment laws anyone?

And yeah... I recall that one who said she'd rather let the deer rot on her property than allow the hunter to retrieve it. I seem to recall that the carcass disappeared pretty quickly once it started to STANK. But once again, you have someone in possession of an untagged, unreported kill... And if having it in your yard doesn't constitute possession....

That gives me an idea so diabolical that I shouldn't even go there ....

09-Dec-16
I think she was that nut job activist from Fairfield just moved to Redding..

• Sitka Gear