happygolucky 26-Dec-16
happygolucky 26-Dec-16
brewcrewmike 04-Jan-17
Tweed 04-Jan-17
brewcrewmike 05-Jan-17
brewcrewmike 15-Feb-17
Mike F 15-Feb-17
15-Dec-16
Yes, I understand this is a bow hunting forum but I believe there to be others on here who would like to discuss this topic. If you have no interest in talking sturgeon spearing then simply ignore the thread. Thank you!

Does anyone on here do the annual sturgeon spearing on Lake Winnebago in February? I went to check it out the past couple of years and after talking to some other guys we've decided to give it a go this year. We went through an "outfitter" to rent the shanty and pretty much everything else that you need. We rented a bigger shanty so we can have two holes cut and two people looking for fish.

Last season we got some ideas regarding what you can do with the fish but do you have any recipes that you can share? Do you smoke the whole fish or filet it out? If you have any other pieces of advice for a new beginner those would be helpful as well.

15-Dec-16
I said if you don't want to talk sturgeon spearing then ignore the thread. Rancid, it bothers you so much that you have to crap all over my thread. It's just sad! I'm looking for advice and places to get more information. How am I going to get more information without asking? Trapper I will PM you. Thanks!

Rancid you yourself post things that aren't on your list of approved topics. How bout you post another 200 times about an extra shed or garage you built. Go put that on the Home Improvement forum!

15-Dec-16
Who cares brewcrew. Too many guys do. To me that's unfortunate. Something different is refreshing to me. If I knew about it. I'd write a book. Bowsite is getting on my last nerve with some of these guys.

15-Dec-16
Fillet it out and smoke some if you want. It makes great chowder. It's good grilled, pan fried, you name it. It is a little oilier, but a good eating fish. Just remember to remove the mud line and all will be good.

Good Luck and let us know how you do. We will be out on the East side again this year chasing the elusive dinosaurs!

15-Dec-16
Wouldn't it be awesome to take one with Archery equipment??

15-Dec-16
Nocturnal +1 - I know a lot of people who don't even come here anymore because others can't ignore threads or have to start things - I am pretty sure if you don't like it, don't read it applies.

I have always been interested in sturgeon spearing but never did it - don't really need another hunting 'hobby' LOL. Hoping maybe taking the 4 wheeler out this year and meeting up with some old friends.

Mike F - that would be awesome - anyone ever try??

Good luck

15-Dec-16
With a bow..... that would be cool. Good luck sturgeon fishing.... mean spearing.

15-Dec-16
"Rancid you yourself post things that aren't on your list of approved topics. How bout you post another 200 times about an extra shed or garage you built. Go put that on the Home Improvement forum!"

Well if that ain't the truth lol. Or as he would say "smdh" rancid, as many times you have been booted. You come in here like you have never left. To come back and post multiple times a day is proof enough you (never left) have missed us. You come back here in the same ol fashion. You may be a great guy in person but your no internet sensation. Meaning your constant opinions are useless. Your like a hurricane, leaving Bowsite a mess to clean up. To bad they don't manage it like other forums you have been kicked off.

15-Dec-16
if ya can't follow the rules for a bowhunting website, don't come on here asking about hand throwing spears and expect not to be reminded that you landed in THE wrong hole!

15-Dec-16
Anyone else notice how he simply ignores this - "Rancid you yourself post things that aren't on your list of approved topics. How bout you post another 200 times about an extra shed or garage you built. Go put that on the Home Improvement forum!" Ignore this thread like you ignore my statement and you'll get that gold star.

To everyone else who has positively contributed, keep it coming. I've already gotten some good info.

15-Dec-16
It's not legal to shoot one with the bow. I am sure it would be a lot of fun, like shooting a big carp, gar or a gator.

I wonder if there has ever been any proposed rule change to allow the use of bowfishing equipment?

15-Dec-16
The Rancid troll is back ...

If a guy has 220 posts about building a shed or garage and catches hell, how can he be surprised by people reminding him to stick to bowhunting topics on a bowhunting forum??? SMDH

15-Dec-16
Or a bed cover for a truck boasting his company name. I think that got him booted the last time. Custom knives he made to show everyone on Bowsite. Honestly the list goes on since I've been here. Who's swimming in the wrong hole again? I've never been booted from forums. Rancid how many times have you?

15-Dec-16
Mike F- I don't know how serious DNR is about getting sturgeon numbers back up but I cant imagine making it easier for guys to harvest them.

15-Dec-16
I've done it every year since I've been old enough to buy a liscense, I think this will be year number 15. My best advice is patience! Good luck

This wi forum is a joke nowadays. Why don't u guys let the moderators decide what should and shouldn't be posted.

15-Dec-16
Wait, guys, it won't take long for it to get kicked off again. Can't fix stupid.

15-Dec-16
Pot, meet kettle.

Just go away for good.

15-Dec-16
I've went a few years to Poygan. It was a blast and seemed like opening day of deer hunting. Seen some giant sturgeon on the ice. I've never ate them though.

16-Dec-16
Tweed - The numbers are good the population is healthy. If you've ever seen the city on the lake it i s unbelievable. Now the success rate isn't that good, but it's a lot of fun.

Kind of like hunting bears in Zone C

16-Dec-16
Mike F - The first time I saw the city on the lake was just as you described it, unbelievable. I couldn't believe how many shacks were on the lake. I'm looking forward to February! I'm hoping it's warmer than last year opening weekend.

16-Dec-16

happygolucky's embedded Photo
Biggest tiger to date for me posted just to piss people off.
Biggest tiger to date for me posted just to piss people off.
Man I love fishing threads. What a great change of pace on bowsite.

The pic is my largest tiger musky to date taken on the Three Lakes chain this summer. Getting a replica from Joe Fittante.

Keep the fishing threads coming. It is SO FUNNY seeing the regular DB get his undies in a bundle over threads like this on bowsite.

Looking very forward to the hard water getting here. I'll be heading to Three Lakes for XMAS and then to Mexico for 9 days come the 27th. Will get that 1st hard water itch out of the way next weekend. It's gunna be fun! Will post pics.

Sorry to disrupt the sturgeon spearing portion of this thread. I am enjoying it.

16-Dec-16
nice musky...... get that this year???

16-Dec-16
Nice fish Happy!! Repos going to cost you dearly.

Sturgeon spearing is something a bunch of friends and I do each year, we get our kids involved to. We have been transferring upriver tags to our kids and most have speared fish at a young age.

Winnebago is a tougher time but a rush none the less. Really something to see those big fish under your feet and even better to drop a spear on one. Some good fights pulling them in!!! Been going for years, some better than others but always a good time.

Takes some special gear that's for sure, those spears are scary and not many get away once the flying barbs take root. Can hardly wait.

16-Dec-16

ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo

16-Dec-16

This summer too, but repo almost $900. Probably not getting that past wife

16-Dec-16

Another

16-Dec-16
shooting a sturgeon with a crossbow, using a Rage expendable, now were getting somewhere.

16-Dec-16
Nice fish happy! Congratulations! You gotta cough up the stats on that one.

Please post pics of some Mexican fish too.

Enjoying your fish pics too, Elk Elsewhere. I've never tried spearing. I was supposed to spend a weekend on Winnebago with my cousins one year, but it fell through. I caught one better than 40" on a tip up on the Trego flowage, which was fun. It was pretty cold though. I turned it around and got it back under the ice right away. No pics or anything.

16-Dec-16

Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Marc W.'s embedded Photo
Sturgeon help pass the winter for a lot of people. You can even get one without baiting.

16-Dec-16
2 years ago we had good ice, last year the shacks were pulled after the 1st weekend. With the cold this year I hope it's good ice again.

16-Dec-16
Awesome fish happy! I spent a lot of time on the three lakes chain when I was younger. Some great fishing for sure

17-Dec-16

Son's 1st 40" pike.
Son's 1st 40" pike.
My son's 41" Pike from this year.
My son's 41" Pike from this year.
Took this 'ski on the 4th of July. Hit a Top Raider right at the boat. Ugly beat up fish but a great boat side strike.
Took this 'ski on the 4th of July. Hit a Top Raider right at the boat. Ugly beat up fish but a great boat side strike.
A "nice" Ski caught by my son this year on the same night as the Three Lakes Musky league.
A "nice" Ski caught by my son this year on the same night as the Three Lakes Musky league.
Thanks everyone! What a GREAT thread. Some great info and pics in here too. I love reading about Sturgeon fishing but have never tried it. Nice Pike Elk!

That 'ski was only 45". Not my biggest by far but the biggest tiger I've ever caught and only the 3rd of my life and I've fished 'skis my whole life. It is by far, the prettiest fish I have ever caught and that is why I am getting a replica. It will be for the kids when I'm gone. Was caught this August with my son who is a Musky addict. We have a place on the Three Lakes chain and that is basically the only waters I fish up there other than during hard water season when I venture more.

I know replicas are expensive. I had Ron Lax do my son's 1st 40" Pike (pic included). Well worth the cost.

17-Dec-16
I was guessing that it was closer to 50". Not only do I need to follow your boat around, I need to steal your cameraman!

My traditional ice fishing trip has been screwed up by my wife's new job. I will be twitchy. Please post up some more pics from the ice. If someone gets their panties in a wad, stick an arrow in the pic or PM them. Think of it as charity.

Same with any late season bow kills of course.

17-Dec-16

An afternoon on Puckaway last year. Looking forward to getting out soon.

What about you or are some of you "basket weavers" in winter?

17-Dec-16

Bonus 'pout.
Bonus 'pout.
Big Whitey! Kill whitey, kill whitey!!!
Big Whitey! Kill whitey, kill whitey!!!
More bonus poor man's lobster - yummy!
More bonus poor man's lobster - yummy!
Very cool Elk. I love panfishing through the hard water. My favorite though is killing Whitey (whitefish) on Sturgeon Bay. Man they fight hard in that deep water (50-70fow) and the liberal limit of 10pp is cool. The occasional eelpout/lawyer/burbot are a hoot and great tasting too!

17-Dec-16
Very nice catches Happy, your quite a skilled fisherman! I could use some pointers...

17-Dec-16

Kids get involved here too

17-Dec-16

17-Dec-16
Neverbait- do you use a baited hook or use a lure? I hope the only fishing you do is trout tickling.

17-Dec-16
Never should stick to the LGBT thread going he started

17-Dec-16

Nice late ice Crappie - released to fight another day.
Nice late ice Crappie - released to fight another day.
Nice little late ice batch of fillets!
Nice little late ice batch of fillets!
Fish on!
Fish on!
Waiting for the sun to hit the tree line for the Crappie run using tip-downs.
Waiting for the sun to hit the tree line for the Crappie run using tip-downs.
Awesome Elk. Love the pics with kids.

If anyone wants to try fishing Whities this winter, I'd gladly organize something. I can show people the ropes. There is a different method to the madness fishing them buggers. My son and I love fishing Crappies in Three Lakes through the ice but Whities are our favorite especially when you get a bonus burbot.

I especially love the late-black-ice Crappies!

17-Dec-16
I will be PM'ing you on that one Happy

18-Dec-16
Who do you think took the picture, dumbass?

18-Dec-16

Jeff in MN's Link
Here is information on how to predict when your favorite lake will have enough hard water to fish on it.

18-Dec-16
"Crappies are as easy to catch as shooting field carp"

That's why I fish them ;)

26-Dec-16

Little 'Ski through the ice for my son. Nothing like the 42" he caught through the ice a couple years back, but fun nonetheless.
Little 'Ski through the ice for my son. Nothing like the 42" he caught through the ice a couple years back, but fun nonetheless.
Nasty crappie.
Nasty crappie.
It was fun to hit the hard water again. 6.5" of ice and lots of slush. We were only up on Sat and Sun and didn't fish much but you can't be up nort' and not fish. My son got a small 'Ski, some snot rockets, and we took a few pannies including some of those disgusting crappies that I love to catch. All fish released to fight another day. Off to the sun and heat as of tomorrow. Happy New Years everyone!

26-Dec-16

Snot rocket...
Snot rocket...
My Boxer loves using the flasher too. He's a dedicated hard water angler.
My Boxer loves using the flasher too. He's a dedicated hard water angler.

04-Jan-17
Has anyone been ice fishing on Winnebago recently and can provide a current ice depth?

04-Jan-17
I haven't but Lake Link is pretty up to date for Winnebago

05-Jan-17
I checked Lake Link but wasn't sure how often the ice depths were updated. Looks like the next few days with the temperatures it should only build on the ice that's already there. We need some snow down this way.

15-Feb-17
I'll be going out this weekend for sturgeon spearing. Anyone been out already?

15-Feb-17

Mike F's Link
Out opening weekend, saw a lot of shad, emerald shiners and walleyes. Visibility was 13 ft in 15 ft of water. With the melt and run off I suspect that will change dramatically. The wind has been causing some issues with some of the landings. I attached the update from the DNR for yesterday. Be Safe and Stay On Top!!!!!

• Sitka Gear