hawkeye in PA 20-Dec-16
Flintknocker 20-Dec-16
RC 20-Dec-16
Flintknocker 20-Dec-16
hawkeye in PA 20-Dec-16
Flintknocker 21-Dec-16
Mule Power 24-Dec-16
16-Dec-16
Having stolen or at least sem-derailed a posted opinion poll (pole)? Time to begin this one to stand it's own merit? Be it first known, the basic (very basic) groundwork I have started. It was so simple,basic,un-assuming(sort of), and enjoyable to do in my spare time. Ironically practically all of the names you could see in the last 4 or 5 years of 5C doehunt affiliated with or attending the hunt are somewhat aware of my middling in the events affairs as of late :) Brother Bob McAuthor is seriously contemplating acting as a figure HEAD 'activities' chair. I asked him to do so for two reasons, he genuinely seems to understand me, and I know him to be an incredibly capable anchor for me when I know I need one. The 5C event is (IS) Joe Filaseta. It is his Baby, and it's a GEM. And an unbelievable platform through and from which to launch similar arenas (albeit, under different circumstance/condition perhaps) across the state.

The whole 'premise' of my thoughts have seemed a bit perplexing initially for me to convey but even Bob has given me time and space to allow for some metamorphis.

Condensed, and for benefit now of all who would join....

Premise: We have the highest percentage of membership with advanced teaching skills, in the widest array thereof, we have had since the inception of the UBP. We have an adequately distributed network of quailified individuals and facilities statewide. We have well established communication and distribution channels, and advertising mechanisms. Most of time, we describe ourselves as one large family. Modus Operandi: Get together as frequently as possible, to freely teach what we can to any wish which to learn, eat very well, make new friends(family) as we can out of complete strangers, landowners, governments (rural to state) and as many kids as humanly possible. We share hunts with those we've only ever dreamed of just one day afield with. And just within the framework of what we each doing right now...

...can that go wrong?

ed

17-Dec-16
WHAT?

17-Dec-16
I am prepared to allow time for those slow on the uptake to absorb it....:)

17-Dec-16
Ed, your pursuit is a good thing, and nothin' personal toward anyone/anything whatsoever, but to be direct, I wouldn't attend. I'm more the content lone wolf :^)

17-Dec-16
absorb what? All ya did was jibber jabber about something in general with no sense of direction and no finish line..

Brother Bob McAuthor is seriously contemplating acting as a figure HEAD 'activities' chair. That's funny, be more like a bobble head doll...:)

18-Dec-16
Jeff Durnell, everyone knows you're a lone wolf...it would be great if you could teach others how t be a lone wolf...wild edibles comes to mind.

Roy, you're like the big brother I never had.

19-Dec-16
I gotta admit I do not know how to interpret the response here. It would appear on the surface that 'we' have all gotten older than even I supposed? I wonder, frequently out loud;)?..that most of you really have any idea that the bowhunting community in Pennsylvania did absolutely contribute hugely to the change in both a political and environmental direction in the State between circa 1989 and the turn of the 21st century? Did success predispose to lethargy? All successes based on a larger "rendezvous" tend (historically) to become too large too fast, disipate into smaller and smaller enclaves, hence losing the momentum of progress and eventually lose ground previously won. Not building on heritages of critical value to continuity, we allow by complacency a very loose interpretation of what we profess to love by a next generation, whom, from what I 'observe', tend to advocate for a 'reality' that generally 'unsettles' the most of yinz???

Sure, I have an instinct to just drop by/out and just concentrate on my Grandchildren. But I have no delusions that they alone will be able to carry a torch I would like to see carried for another couple generations...

....but that is the way Pennsylvanians have always done things from times back to first European Settlement. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Not my rule. We deserve no more than we allow ourselves to accept.

19-Dec-16
To some degree a surrender, burn out or plain disgust to big business changing what we perceived as a honorable past time all in the name of greed. And I think the present day hunting license sales is showing that it is costing them and will continue.

And I do remember what all you have done for this sport and appreciate it. So no disrespect towards you Ed. This may not be interpreted the way I thought it out.

The good news is our Youth shoot at Chieftain archery club has maybe leveled off a little, but has not receded as of this past year. Although that info is more archery related than bow hunting. Jeff

19-Dec-16
Jeff and Ron, I hope I have never fostered the belief that 'bowhunters' led the changes of the time period I mentioned, We 'aligned' with other hunters and trappers and fisherman, too. They were turkey hunters, rifle hunters, disabled crossbow users, muzzleloaders and flintlock fanatics too. And the cross section of the UBP membership at any time in the period (high or low) reflected that fact succinctly and direct proportion to total hunter demographics. Still does.

Another 'thing' that occurred to me on the scenic route home from the 5C doehunt, that I think many folks don't(didn't) quite grasp,,,was the fact I was all over this state in course of my duties. I can find a night's company and lodging in almost every county of the state, with dear, deer friends. And I can state with simply biological accuracy that every inch of PA is carrying as many...or more deer than it can support, still. (we have made progress...but....

someone ask me...dare ya..."what do you see in our whitetail herd now, ed?" (I already have it typed out, in an email to another dear, deer friend who frequents this board...it would be but a simple copy and paste.)

19-Dec-16
So where is this below headed, ya still haven't said..

Having stolen or at least sem-derailed a posted opinion poll (pole)? Time to begin this one to stand it's own merit? Be it first known, the basic (very basic) groundwork I have started. It was so simple,basic,un-assuming(sort of), and enjoyable to do in my spare time. Ironically practically all of the names you could see in the last 4 or 5 years of 5C doehunt affiliated with or attending the hunt are somewhat aware of my middling in the events affairs as of late :) Brother Bob McAuthor is seriously contemplating acting as a figure HEAD 'activities' chair. I asked him to do so for two reasons, he genuinely seems to understand me, and I know him to be an incredibly capable anchor for me when I know I need one. The 5C event is (IS) Joe Filaseta. It is his Baby, and it's a GEM. And an unbelievable platform through and from which to launch similar arenas (albeit, under different circumstance/condition perhaps) across the state. The whole 'premise' of my thoughts have seemed a bit perplexing initially for me to convey but even Bob has given me time and space to allow for some metamorphis.

Condensed, and for benefit now of all who would join....

Premise: We have the highest percentage of membership with advanced teaching skills, in the widest array thereof, we have had since the inception of the UBP. We have an adequately distributed network of quailified individuals and facilities statewide. We have well established communication and distribution channels, and advertising mechanisms. Most of time, we describe ourselves as one large family. Modus Operandi: Get together as frequently as possible, to freely teach what we can to any wish which to learn, eat very well, make new friends(family) as we can out of complete strangers, landowners, governments (rural to state) and as many kids as humanly possible. We share hunts with those we've only ever dreamed of just one day afield with. And just within the framework of what we each doing right now...

...can that go wrong?

ed

And this below.. I gotta admit I do not know how to interpret the response here. It would appear on the surface that 'we' have all gotten older than even I supposed? I wonder, frequently out loud;)?..that most of you really have any idea that the bowhunting community in Pennsylvania did absolutely contribute hugely to the change in both a political and environmental direction in the State between circa 1989 and the turn of the 21st century? Did success predispose to lethargy? All successes based on a larger "rendezvous" tend (historically) to become too large too fast, disipate into smaller and smaller enclaves, hence losing the momentum of progress and eventually lose ground previously won. Not building on heritages of critical value to continuity, we allow by complacency a very loose interpretation of what we profess to love by a next generation, whom, from what I 'observe', tend to advocate for a 'reality' that generally 'unsettles' the most of yinz??? Sure, I have an instinct to just drop by/out and just concentrate on my Grandchildren. But I have no delusions that they alone will be able to carry a torch I would like to see carried for another couple generations...

....but that is the way Pennsylvanians have always done things from times back to first European Settlement. Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. Not my rule. We deserve no more than we allow ourselves to accept.

Why don't ya just type out your plan and quit beating around the bush?

19-Dec-16
RC, you obstinate....:) Bob and I had conversation today. I think you know very well any plan I might have/had is loosely conceived in consideration that most of us, including me, have quite full plates, and the bunch of us gray hairs and no hairs tend be quite comfortable in our homes now. While I do hear complaints from the most of ya, a high percentage of ya are really quite content. I would imagine that for most of you, like myself really have no trouble finding places to hunt...in abundance. I find it reasonable to assume that many of those who complain in earnest, do not? I'm sure you would agree that such skills as developing good interpersonal relationships with landowners is possible? I'm sure you would agree that a great deal can be learned from olde Fartes that know stuff? Sometimes during the course of a single campfire. I know more of how many people you have moved along a path than you might suspect. What is known and shared among us is a powerful catalyst to employ. And why should we expect that kids won't pull up something they observe or hear at one campfire not show up in their lives in the future?...to the benefit of all of us?? I grant you my friend the concept escapes some:) Perhaps we could discuss it at your place when I come west next summer? :)

19-Dec-16
Well, I sure am glad your back here talking/thinking/planning again Ed. And even though I usually need to read your writings more then once to get the full thought, I enjoy it.

Bill V

19-Dec-16
You are Good Human Bean, Bill:) I thoroughly enjoy your company and have learned a lot from you. Thank you for the Privilege!!

19-Dec-16
Ed, we are moving soon...!

19-Dec-16
RC...you will leave a trail a blind man could follow...;)

20-Dec-16
Ed, you couldn't track a bull elephant through 2 foot of fresh wet snow:)

20-Dec-16
OK- so I have been "digesting" this thread for several days now. I think what you are getting at Ed is incorporating more learning/mentoring into our UBP events- and/or creating separate events with the primary focus being learning/mentoring.......................or both?! ;-) I think it is a great idea! You are right- there is a lot of knowledge in the collective noggins of our members! And it is always fun to get together, but the most rewarding part of these gatherings is coming away with a new skill or knowledge, or imparting said skill and/or knowledge to others, as opposed to just experiencing a relaxing weekend(which is also important ;-). Am I close?

P.S. I'll ask....................................................."what do you see in our whitetail herd now, ed?" : )

20-Dec-16
Perry, yeah that's pretty much the Plan, such as it is. You managed to encapsulate what I'm 'thinking'. I wish I coulda done that :) But you see, Pretty much since 1993 I've had the exquisite Luxury of kinda like...engineering as I go? It's worked pretty well for me, but for some reason seems to confuse the Living He77 out of everybody else:?(

Now as far as that deer analysis...gotta admit I'm a wee tad 'projectile shy' :) I've got enough holes in my head, and I don't look good in a helmet. And there's a whole bunch of new legal projectiles to boot. And there SHOULD be. OMG,,did I say that out loud??? INCOMING!!! So anyway...I'm going to start a Festive Holiday Thread about a subject quite Deer to all our hearts. It ought be at least as much fun as a bout of dia-ha-ha-reha on opening day?

20-Dec-16
You know a Merry Christmas would have sounded way more better, Ed.

Perry you have a new job! Lol and good idea.

20-Dec-16
Merry Christmas and Happy Day After, Jeff!! Got tags? FILL 'EM! A habitat still..rebounding, will Thank you:) With rewards you won't believe. If we were to nudge this 'program' just a bit further out...and habitats improved just 30 % over where we are right now....how many fawns would larger, very healthy mature does have?? :) Hmmm, let's see Even more and larger bucks in more places, smaller bucks in abundance, many legal and perfectly desirable to many of our friends with different interests. And,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,anyway go read the Merry Christmas thread ;)

20-Dec-16
I'm going to start a Festive Holiday Thread about a subject quite Deer to all our hearts. It ought be at least as much fun as a bout of dia-ha-ha-reha on opening day?

Ed, I don't know what is it you are smoking in your peace pipe, Buyt I wANT SOME. lmfao oPoPS, THAT shoueld weed, dust in thw winds..

20-Dec-16
Sorry Partner, I quit drinkin a year ago...and I will never smoke weed with Willie again:) Lessen maybe Pennsy gets with the program? Naw, got grandkids actually taken after me, I seem able to communicate with them just fine:) Would you believe they actually encourage my behaviour? Imagine my surprise when they repeat it.

20-Dec-16
LOL RC!

21-Dec-16
Justin, reading with a kid is Always an educational experience. If you can, or feel inclined check out a kids book, "The Biggest Bear" a real oldie. It's been in my library for now, three generations. The sepia tone artwork alone is an inspiration to kids and adults. Merry Christmas to you yours! ed

24-Dec-16
RC where ya' goin to?

• Sitka Gear