Woodsnut 02-Jan-17
soapdish 02-Jan-17
Hunterrif 12-Jan-17
Will 13-Jan-17
Paul 13-Jan-17
SixLomaz 13-Jan-17
shawnm 13-Jan-17
22-Dec-16
I gutted my first deer with a pocket knife and did a really good job.

I have since gone with the Buck Vanguard -

Now I want one with a gut hook just because - does knife buying become an addiction ?

My friend does not like folding knives for doing the deer because stuff gets in the crevice

I am interested in your comments -

22-Dec-16
Rich I was going to start this myself . I use a old timer sharp finger , never tried a gut hook .

22-Dec-16
The classic folding 110 buck knife.. I love it rich.. Cuts like butter.. Its clean nice and durable.. Best 40$ investment I've made all year.

22-Dec-16
I have the ONLY knife I ever bought for hunting. Shrade from K-Mart in Southington (closed years ago) so it has to be 48 years old and still holds an edge like a razor!!

22-Dec-16
Havalon works great

22-Dec-16
I had a spydeco folding knife that i lost last year after 20 +yrs..worked great on deer and stripers...now i use a plain old stanley razor blade...i think my gut hook is a gerber

22-Dec-16
Been using a Buck Vanguard with a gut hook on the back of the blade for the last 3-4 years...and only because it was given to me. Previous to that whatever knife was in my pack. Keep the blade length shorter for safety. Not that much cutting when it comes down to it when you gut a deer if you're doing it right. With that being siad... nothing worse than going up blind into the thoracic cavity to cut the wind pipe with a short sword for a blade. Put that into your arm and you'll be laying next to the deer as well.

22-Dec-16

nehunter's embedded Photo
nehunter's embedded Photo
I have used and lost 50 different knifes when hunting. I now use the Swing Blade from Outdoor Edge. Its orange and is made quite well for a production China knife.

I love the gut hook, never puncture the guts again, also makes a great inside out cut when skinning for a shoulder mount.

22-Dec-16
A gut hook is essential!

22-Dec-16
SWK - 50-60 knives? Are you one of those guys that tunes in to the pay channel at 5am Sunday morning when that old guy is selling 6 different knives for $19.99 total? And that includes a samurai sword?

Gut hook? Never saw a need for one.

22-Dec-16

Passthrough's embedded Photo
Passthrough's embedded Photo
I've been using this combo for 2-3 years. Like it alot.

23-Dec-16

jax2009r's Link
I love my havalon....small in your pocket and sharp as can be....gets dull you change the blade..

23-Dec-16
X2 on the Buck 110, been using it for 20 years and it's still in perfect shape. It holds a great edge and has broken down 30 plus deer over the years.

24-Dec-16
Field dress with sog flash skin Stanley razor then switch to a Havalon bolt.that way the razor is the only one that gets dull cutting the leather dulls knives quick

24-Dec-16
Havalon

24-Dec-16
Buck 110 folder. Cabelas Alaskan guide edition.

29-Dec-16
Cutco and it comes with a lifetime free sharpening but unless you kill a few elk or 30 deer you wont have to send it back very often. It has a special serrated blade that can only be sharpened at the factory and about $100 but worth every penny.

29-Dec-16
Cutco makes a helll of a good knife .

29-Dec-16
Although I own, or have been gifted, several beautiful knives over the years, my 40 year old Buck 110 is with me on every hunt. I don't see the need for a gut hook blade, I use the back of my hand to push down on the gut while spreading my index and middle finger like an upside down peace sign to push the hide up towards me while sliding the blade between my spread fingers. This works for me. Just keep your steel sharp, a pocket knife is all you really need.

29-Dec-16
Buck 105 fixed blade for 30 years. I do the same as Tall 1 and no gut hook needed.

29-Dec-16
How is everyone sharing their knives ? I use a lanski not sure on spelling great tool

29-Dec-16
For years I used a Buck knife, then I was given a knife Handmade by The late Larry Benoit, and gutted a lot of deer with that. It can be sharpened to a razor and holds a decent edge. Since I enjoy sharpening knives to a razor edge I never considered the Havalon, but I misplaced a friends while helping to gut his deer and bought one to replace it. But he had purchased a new one before I could give it to him. I use the Havalon now, it is nice to be able to change out the blade quickly if needed, but I keep the blade sharp with a super fine steel and leather strop . I only use resharpened replacement blades while skinning and quartering..

Also thinking about getting the Outdoor edge knife, I like the shape of the knife better than the Havolon.

29-Dec-16

Wild Bill's embedded Photo
Wild Bill's embedded Photo
I've pretty much settled on a Gerber Zipper and a Mora.

29-Dec-16

grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
grizzlyadam's embedded Photo
I've gutted every deer that I've shot with this little gerber. Put the orange dots from some trail tacks on it so I could find it after gutting deer in the dark. I always used to lose it. I think the older gerber knives were made from better steel than the new ones, that thing can easily get a really impressive edge on it. When it comes to knives you really get what you pay for.

02-Jan-17
Have folding knife Bucklite i purchased in 1984 i googled it the other day they now call it Vintage, i have others fixed blade and folding but this is my favorite and my go to knife

02-Jan-17
I once used trauma sheets. Not much fun but it worked.

12-Jan-17
I like the benchmade axis flipper.

13-Jan-17
For maybe 15-20 years now I've used the same folding Gerber with a 3" blade. It's worked AWESOME. Love that knife. it fits my hand well and holds a fantastic edge.

The first knife I ever used to gut a deer... A swiss army knife my sister got for me in switzerland when she was an exchange student. It was not an easy task, and a miracle I didnt loose a finger ;)

13-Jan-17
Will. Been there took more time to clean the knife then the deer

13-Jan-17
Swing Blade, any version, for me. Highly visible in orange; easy to use, sharpen, and clean. I processed 5 deer before sharpening it.

13-Jan-17
Hey wild bill the blade you have on the left is amazing. I seen a guy gut a deer with one of those and I was astonished. He started at the top of his neck and sliced all the way down to his buthole. It was the cleanest cut I've ever seen in my life

• Sitka Gear