Moultrie Mobile
Putnam Cty 3N, Opinions on Herd/ Quality
New York
Contributors to this thread:
Ace 27-Dec-16
Somersbow 29-Dec-16
XbowfromNY 08-Mar-17
27-Dec-16
I'm curious to hear from people who hunt in 3N. I have property in Putnam County and I'm wondering what you think about the herd, it's health and numbers. Do you think that the antler restrictions have made any difference?

This zone seems to be a mix of bigger pieces such as State Parks and DEP Watershed Land; and suburban lots. Deer density seems like it may vary a lot throughout the zone, maybe the predators are having an effect?

Like a lot of places, illegal baiting and a "if it's brown it's down" attitude seem pretty prevalent.

29-Dec-16
I think your assessment is spot on. Lots of big lands where many don't go and deer die of old age. I know a guy who hunts Fahnstock each year and sees or shoots mature bucks. I was forwarded a pic this year of a 12 point buck killed in Kent on DEP land that was massive.

Then there's all the backyard deer that see little to no pressure in town. I have gotten a 3N DMP on every first try in the last 10 years. Some guys I know get shut out occasionally, but not many. I see deer on public ground when I am small game hunting. I didn't hunt Putnam this season for deer, but I would say the herd stable and is still recovering from previous hard winters.

I am not seeing nearly the numbers of deer I was seeing 10 years ago, but I see them almost every time I am in the woods hiking, hunting, fishing, etc.

Can't say the ARs have done much since they are localized only to a few lands. But Putnam is definitely a Location, Location, Location game with that mix of bigger mature woods and the smaller yard parcels in the various communities.

08-Mar-17
I only hunt Putnam. It's all about having the right access.

• Sitka Gear