DaleHajas 24-Jan-17
buc i 313 25-Jan-17
HARRY CARRY 25-Jan-17
buc i 313 25-Jan-17
RC 25-Jan-17
RC 25-Jan-17
01-Jan-17
Debate free...... :)

If you own your own property and hunt it and you post it to keep others off, all of which is absolutely awesome to have that right, do you then sometimes hunt SGL's or other public grounds? Just curious....

Maybe your hunting license should be private property ONLY specific? :) Happy New Year!

01-Jan-17
OH Boy...

That could leave a brown wet spot:)

01-Jan-17
Its really not meant to be an argument starter. :) If you leave your ground open, then you get a public grounds license. These are random thoughts.... Really random

I think if somebody puts a stand up on your property or a camera, then it rightfully becomes property of the land owner.

01-Jan-17
I hunt Sundays. I don't want folks sneaking onto my land and catch me. Right Ron?

01-Jan-17
LOL

01-Jan-17
They may own the land but if "his" deer eat my shrubs they should either replace my shrubs or pay full price for a license.

01-Jan-17
Zactly, Hawkeye boy:)

I just read on another site where the farmers are suing the states bow hunters because of all the flat tires they are getting on their tractors from arrows laying in their fields...

01-Jan-17
glad you saw the :)!

02-Jan-17
And if you own a house, you should let anyone that doesn't own a house come in and use yours anytime they want. If you don't let non-house owning people use your house you should pay a tax for keeping your house off limits to them. How about your pick up truck, perhaps non pick up owning people should have free use of that too?

02-Jan-17
If it wasn't for posted property where I'm at there wouldn't be any deer at all. I don't like not being able to hunt where I want but respect property owners right to post. My brother in law has some posted property and had a hunter set his woods on fire. It's a full time job keeping people off his property. Stolen trail cameras, 4 wheelers and jeeps tearing up his trails, garbage left and trees cut down.

02-Jan-17
Thanks guys. Ok so let me ask this. What would anyone, no one here in particular mind you, as a property owner suggest be done to combat any inequities of of deer number imbalances?

I happen to have one time for several years hunted a lease, where I had to ask non members to leave, to hunting public ACE ground where families drive the deer off onto their posted properties. I've also hunted a farm that had a permission only posted ground where folks routinely hunted without permission. I hunted, for years ground near 7Springs resort. When the lottery came about, several winners bought and posted their grounds- there was no deer management plan back then- they posted in fear of being sued.

This year we hunted ground in Forbes State Forest where we found a herd of 10-15 deer shreding up the forest floor in a red oak stand during the last day of rifle season. Ive never seen This activity before at this time of year. No browse eh? Im interested in what guys like George or Red Beastmaster are seeing on their mountain hunting areas.

So how can bridge the gap?

02-Jan-17
NO HUNTING means good hunting!

You just gotta be sneaky.

02-Jan-17
Dale! if you want to make your private public, publicize your private

YIKES! :) is that da bait free? bill v

02-Jan-17
Hunted 4 days in Somerset on PG lands and seen zero deer. Some deer sign was evident, as was some rubs. Seen the fewest amount of hunters in 40 some years. Which didn't help move any deer because of the mountain Laurel thickness. Never even heard a shot that was anywhere close. Did see twice the amount of bear scat.

Between the elders aging, lack of deer sightings over the years, posted land and relatives deciding it's not worth the cost it may very well have been the last deer camp. Sad.

02-Jan-17
Well land owners that pay for a hunting license are putting money twords the public land and if you leave your land open to the public threw the public access program I believe you get a tax brake. Seams fair that way

02-Jan-17
I've hunted private land almost exclusively since I started hunting almost 50 years ago. Its a privilege that comes at the price of paying taxes and liability insurance in addition to the price of a hunting license while still having to put up with trespassers. I DON'T hunt pubic land out of respect for those who don't own acreage.

In Virginia I DON'T have to to purchase a license to hunt my own property, and they have a little different view of trespassers as well.

02-Jan-17
B&B didnt know that. Thanks. Now isnt there a program available to help protect landowners from liabilities? Eric I commend you.

Do You think a landowner would be a bit more open to hunters by asking that No tree stands be used or hunting by Archery only?

03-Jan-17
I hunt public because I can't convince the GC to stock pheasants on my posted property:) And the grouse aren't there either.

03-Jan-17
Anyone ever wonder why the "Native American" scratched his head in confusion at us ? :^}

03-Jan-17
I hunt only public land. And I don't have a problem with private landowners posting their land and hunting on public land.

I got to kind of laugh at the guys that really post hard, then place their treestands right on the property line where their land meets public. lol

Don't effect me one bit, but I do kind of chuckle about it. You see that a lot around here.

03-Jan-17
Vonfoust, I liked that.

03-Jan-17

04-Jan-17
Buc, I scratch my head just reading some of the posts in here. :)

04-Jan-17
Stick n string,

Read RC's reply. RC, gets it. :^}

Seriously we are hunters. Where we hunt is immaterial as long as it is legal, ethical and of our choice. :^}

04-Jan-17
I wouldn't mind seeing some sort of quota or draw to hunt on the harder hit gamelands near SE and SW urban centers. Comparing those to the Pennsyltucky big woods is apples to oranges. I grew up right next to SG land 203 in Allegheny and that place is a zoo. Over the years I hunted a few times there , even tucked away into faraway corners and the thickest crap imaginable it is a very discouraging place overall to try to fill a tag. I could see a draw system like they have for the airport lands being the best option for the greater good in those suburban gamelands. Drive an hour out of the city and the hunting pressure gets a lot more reasonable, and that's what we always did, and consistently experienced better hunting on public. We also hunted 3-4 parcels of private and all of them were "open to anyone if the landowner knows you" sort of places and they get hammered really hard, similar to nearby public if not worse. I have never really had the privilege of hunting more exclusive private land but I love the challenge hunting big woods public so much now in my adult life I'm not sure I even want to.

04-Jan-17
The only thing worse than Hajas having cabin fever & nothing better to do is RC having too much time on his hands.

04-Jan-17
No Stick n String,

NO tip-toeing about it. What I'm saying is,

Sometimes it is confusing as to what the issue is with hunting locations. The how, when, where and why :^}

Some one posting their property is certainly their right and I fully respect it.

Whether this person posts their land and hunts public land or not, is their prerogative.

It should not be an issue of discussion.

The Native American, was and still are at times confused as to what we say. Look at our record with them.

I don't know RC, therefore I don't know if he is a Native American, or not.

But he does get it. :^}

05-Jan-17
for sure

05-Jan-17
If you own property then it is yours to control. How is trespassing any different than someone breaking into your house? If a hunter buys a license then I have the right to hunt Game Lands. If you want me to not hunt them then reimburse me for 32 years of hunting licenses. You know my contribution.

05-Jan-17
why do you have to buy a license to hunt your own property?;)

06-Jan-17
I don't buy a license, I print out my own. I got a special printer and a roll of the special license paper. My bro in laws uncles dad hooked me up with the paper. I print them doe tags.

06-Jan-17
RC...

Now I know where McCracker got all them tags. And he was complaining about waiting in line at the courthouse. :)

06-Jan-17
For Roy to be released?:)

06-Jan-17
RC... would you please print a Sunday hunting license for me?! I get tired of all this sneaking around. But, on the other hand, the deer don't know it's Sunday!!! Lol

06-Jan-17
RC... Now I know where McCracker got all them tags. And he was complaining about waiting in line at the courthouse. :)

McQuacker complains in the liquor store line too.. And he really bitches in line at McDonalds...

Ok BC:)

08-Jan-17
I don't know about RC being a Native American but he was definitely born a hundred years too late. As for private..... Chris is off limits but if Roy leaves to go hunt public land I'm assuming it's ok to stop over for some of her chili before he gets back!

18-Jan-17
Against better judgment....Dale, until deer can no longer decipher trespass posters.........? Them what can find deer do, them what can't manufacture excuse. That is as certain as next spring's fawn crop....

18-Jan-17
If you do your homework in the summer it's possible to find private property..it's a lot of work though..paid off for me I have a few on the wall...a lot of foot work

18-Jan-17
What flintnocker said X2.

Now that said, we have around 112 acres of mountain land. It has never been posted, and believe it or not, it is not overrun with people...even in rifle season. Maybe it's a mutual respect thing where people know it's there, and they're welcome...so maybe they think there is no deer 8^)...like many here would think. We also have protection for liability issues because we keep it open for hunters and we also have it in clean and green which saves us a lot on taxes. By the way.....the liability alleviation has been in effect for quite while so most landowners should be aware if it. If not, then I just don't know what to say. The information is readily available.

As for SGL, most of them were paid for by license fees....so anyone who buys a license has played a part in securing those lands. Doesn't matter whether they own land or not...or if they post their own land, they have been part of the solution to having public land.

I think the nature of hunters is to complain that there are no deer when they can't find them. It's pretty much been that way since I was old enough to buy a license in 1958. Whiners will whine....not saying there aren't issues with low deer populations in some regions, but "when the sign is there"...then the deer are there. And yeah, I hunt public land 95% of the time and usually only hunt our land a few times...the first day of rifle, and a few days in bow season.

18-Jan-17
FWIW- the public ground that I hunt -ACE, is literally crawling with deer right now. The private ground not as much. Just so y'all know I'm not whining about anything..... just curious. :)

23-Jan-17
Gotta love generalizations that anyone who hunts SGL's don't know how to hunt lol. Kinda like saying anyone who owns private lands are pompous dbags but I digress.

Better?

23-Jan-17
I thinks it's the opposite. Guys who buy land and post it don't know how to hunt. Then they make food plots to entice the deer in for an easy kill. They would never see a deer if they hunted public land.

23-Jan-17
LMAO

23-Jan-17
For whatever reason I am unable to edit in this forum. That doesn't change the fact that language like in the posts above is not permitted. Kids read this forum so please show some respect and restraint.

So Meatus and stick n string please go in and edit your post to remove that language.

24-Jan-17
Oh really, Phil?:)

What a shame:)

24-Jan-17

DaleHajas's embedded Photo
DaleHajas's embedded Photo
Cant edit??? Dang thats tough.....

24-Jan-17
I love you Phil..... But Im crying right now

25-Jan-17
Sick n String,

Please do explain what a " pompous doodie-head" that does not know how to hunt is ???

I'm confident a few head scratching Native American's, somewhere might be curious of your dilemma.

Unless they just agree with your personal assessment . :^}

Since we have never hunted together.

I'm not sure. :^}

25-Jan-17
Though I'm not a hunter, I CAN attest to Chris's great chili!

25-Jan-17
Stick,

As you, I was just trying to be funny / joking. Sorry if I offended you. :^{

Whether a man owns his hunting property or not is of little consequence in his ability to hunt. Nor is it to where the man (property owner) hunts.

Then maybe I don't get the original post ? :^}

You and I are in agreement on this subject. :^}

25-Jan-17
Sick n String.............

Boy you got that right.. LMAO:)

He's been sick for a long time........................

25-Jan-17
Bring Beer:)

• Sitka Gear