Iowahunter 17-Jan-17
Iowahunter 17-Jan-17
Gonzo 17-Jan-17
Ben Farmer 17-Jan-17
Spider1 18-Jan-17
Flintknocker 18-Jan-17
Jrt8pt 18-Jan-17
02-Jan-17
I've been chasing critters in the Pa. woods for over 50 years and this is the worst year I can remember. Very few deer sighted, no Turkeys seen all season, first time in over twenty years, some squirrels, no pheasants but that wasn't a surprise. I did see a buck of a lifetime in October and a couple of small bucks, very few Does, but overall a nasty year. How about you, I'd like to hear if you had a good year or bad. I'm a die hard Hunter but I feel I like I'm chasing unicorns.lol

02-Jan-17
As far as hunting opportunity this was the worst. Due to a new job I only hunted Saturday afternoons. For thirty years I hunted almost every evening after work. No complaints though, just glad to finally find a job. :)

02-Jan-17
seemed fairly nornmal to me with the usual pattern shifts I did expect to shoot more in one area due to early populations, didn't happen

02-Jan-17
I seen enough deer, although not like the good ole days. Seen a few respectable bucks but no monsters. Turkeys definitely hard to come across this year. Seen zero pheasants away from the pavement. Tons of squirrels, also seen more foxes than I can ever remember. And more than enough ticks thanks to the Jeff D. Jinx;(

02-Jan-17
Worst ever for hunting time. 12 hrs with a bow and probably 15 with a rifle. First time in 30 years that I hunted more with a gun.

Observations from my hunting kids and friends. There are turkeys EVERYWHERE and in great numbers in my area of Latrobe. I can drive 30 miles in any direction and be in birds. Deer sightings have been the same as in the last 15 years, with some nice bucks being killed. Seeing lots of deer on my driving around this past week most being in the fields by 1:30 pm!

Fortunately we buy a side of angus- this year we took delivery of 300# in early november so there wasnt alot of pressure to kill a deer. Now I'm hoping to get out for bunnies with my bow.

02-Jan-17
The only complaint I have is the amount of time one must spend chasing trespassers off in Pa. It is a total season ling job. Deer sightings fell once December rolled around, and they went nocturnal fast this year. The Summer dragged on forever.

02-Jan-17
Trespassers suck. They don't own the land, pay the taxes or the liability insurance, yet they feel ENTITLED to hunt wherever they want.

I did have a good season, but hunted private land. I took a big old buck in Virginia with the flintlock (they allow ANY MLer in their MLer season), so wasn't too excited about hunting in Pa. I carried my flinter on the first day of rifle season and took a Huntingdon County buck and my Pa season was over. Virginia has a 6 deer limit, so I hunted 3 more days, but none of the "shooter bucks" showed. Considering what I had on my cameras over the past couple of weeks, I'm encouraged for next season. MORE time to hunt would be nice.

03-Jan-17
Season was about the same this year as any other year. Was in northern tioga county this past weekend. Plenty of deer and turkeys sighted

04-Jan-17
Ain't no deer around here so I went fishing instead.

04-Jan-17
I was very pleased with my season. My passion for whitetails has been reignited chasing mountain laurel ghosts again. We moved to Central PA in February after spending a few years living in Pittsburgh. I loved roaming the mountains up here when I went to PSU almost 10 years ago and periodically returned after, but most of my hunting the past few years was farmland in Western PA. I was getting jaded by my limited options there even if the bucks were bigger. A few years ago I got elk hunting in my veins and I wondered if I would even care about deer hunting in the future.

I felt really refreshed returning to hunting the big woods again. This season between scouting, archery, and grouse hunting I have hit 5 different SGLs and 4 different State Forests all within an hour drive. Over a million acres at my disposal, just tremendous opportunities. Deer populations overall I would say are better than my college days, but you have to scout a lot and find the right habitat and food sources and have the right attitude to hunt big woods. It's not TV deer hunting by any means. I saw deer every time out but once, and took a doe on big woods SGL and a decent 8 point on State Forest, both in archery. Put my brother on a slammer 8 pt in rifle on big woods game lands.

No doubt it has changed in your 50 years and I am not degrading you experience, but the habitat has changed drastically. The more the PGC and DCNR cut and burn, the better it will continue to get. The turkey population has completely crashed in a couple areas I hunt, which is a bit concerning but I am a very casual turkey hunter anyway.

04-Jan-17

Bob McArthur's Link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLG2jaVdUMo

05-Jan-17
Woah.............................you're COLD, Bob! ;-) Great song, though! One of my all-time favorites! : )

05-Jan-17
Song won't play here...

You are losing it McQuackerson...

05-Jan-17
I had a great archery season. Didn't kill a thing but passed on a ton of does, saw numerous bucks, missed a nice 8pt opening week, and missed a monster 10pt. the last week. Can't get them every year I guess. No complaints from Washington County.

05-Jan-17
When you are seeing less and less of everything it means your eyesight is going.

10-Jan-17

Forever Bow's embedded Photo
Forever Bow's embedded Photo
It was good

10-Jan-17
Very nice buck. Congrats

10-Jan-17
It's always a good season...no matter what.

11-Jan-17

Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Last week on a late season hunt:)
Ben Farmer's embedded Photo
Last week on a late season hunt:)
I never released a arrow this season but have no complaints!! In fact, this was probably my best season yet! This was my 8 year old daughters first you of hunting and I got to be there with her while she took her first two deer and we are still at it! She still is after a buck. We have this Saturday to get it done yet.

11-Jan-17
Didn't kill a buck in archery, but did in rifle season. Over on SGL 48, one evening during season my wife and I saw 30 couple deer in one field and six were racked bucks. They also had the mountain all tore to heck and back, so they were there. I just have to learn to change my habits and try better to find where they are in the daytime. Sometimes we get stuck in a rut...going to the same places year after year. Deer aren't stupid.

11-Jan-17
Its been a good season overall. Turkeys are returning to the private property i deer hunt on, however another PP I hunt, the turkeys are basically gone. They use to be all over the place but the past 2 years, it wasnt even worth hunting. Th other places i turkey hunt have been good and i shot 2 in the spring.

As for deer, i took a doe the 1st day of bow and passed others as the season went on. Passed some smaller bucks holding out for a nice one, which happened the last 2 days. Didnt get a good shot at the 1st one Friday morning and then got a chance at another Saturday morning which resulted in a nonlethal hit. Pretty sure i got a pic of him on my trailcam during gun season no worse for the wear. Ended up shooting a small 8pt with the rifle, since i have a little 5yr girl who loves maple deer sausage. Gotta keep the freezer stocked with deer sausage for her. And i like the stuff too!!!

12-Jan-17
Great pic Ben! She is a TROOPER for sure! Good luck on SAt~!

BTW, I heard Bowjo shot a late season giant! Maybe he will post a pic here? ;-)

15-Jan-17
Bowjo killed a dandy 10 point! Gene King sente the pic.

15-Jan-17

BOWJO's embedded Photo
BOWJO's embedded Photo
There are no bad seasons, some are just tougher than others. This is the first deer I killed in Pa. this year by my choosing, and it was Jan. 6th. I spent a good part of the early season hunting with the bow that Roy built for me this past Summer. I really wanted to make it happen with that. I had numerous encounters with this guy, and God finally so fit to give me an opportunity. Man I love bowhunting!

15-Jan-17
And you killed it with a PBR Special? BTW....... Dink:)

15-Jan-17
Congratulations Joe!

15-Jan-17
Yes Joe awesome deer:)

15-Jan-17
Congratulations Joe!!!!!

16-Jan-17
Very nice, Joe. Congrats.

16-Jan-17
Way to stick with it, Joe! Congratulations, my friend!

16-Jan-17
Nice Joe!

16-Jan-17
Great deer... Congrats...

Antler restrictions in action right there...

17-Jan-17
Thanks fellas, although I really like Ben's hero shot!

17-Jan-17
Great Deer Joe! :) You are THE MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;-)

17-Jan-17

17-Jan-17
Congrats bowjo. Any season is good some end better than others.

17-Jan-17
Had a great season, seen a lot of deer. Only killed one doe with a bow, could have taken a lot more. Small bucks, little 6 pt. a bunch of spikes. I did hit a decent 8pt and still don't know what happened! Big uns escaped me though we had them on trail cams and we're still getting them on trailcams. So atleast they will be bigger next year.

17-Jan-17
Congrats Joe!!

18-Jan-17
Congrats Joe! That's sticking with it!

18-Jan-17
Was a slow season here also. But sign shows deer are here in numbers. Literally tons of acorns on the mountains, weather wasn't what you'd call favorable a good part of season. Local deer processors report more deer taken in late season than archery and rifle combined. I had a season pretty much to match Ben Farmer's right down to the matching smiles. Grandson poked a squirrel between the lookers the other day, you'd have thought he shot a buck to match Joe's. We're well on the way to having the hide the hide brain tanned, with him doing most of the work and with a patience that should shame many adults:) My 'season' was mostly devoted entirely to him, and he says he loves Pennsylvania. Me, I finally blooded the longrifle I've been working on for over five years now,last Monday ( I would have preferred the last day. Fat doe, long, precise shot. My hat's off to all those who persist and persevere. And especially those who find every day outdoors a Great Gift.

18-Jan-17
Great season my son got his 1st ever with a bow a 4pt. I got a real nice 8pt and 2 good size does..seen a lot of deer this year and some Good rutting activity..every day in the woods is a good day

• Sitka Gear