Mike F 13-Jan-17
RutnStrut 13-Jan-17
RJN 13-Jan-17
Jeff in MN 13-Jan-17
Crusader dad 13-Jan-17
RutnStrut 13-Jan-17
Jeff in MN 14-Jan-17
09-Jan-17
I saw a picture of this buck a while ago with no story, my first thought was game farm kill pumped full of hormones. PY and BC are going to have to start testing for hormones to keep the paying field level.

10-Jan-17
That's a big buck and I wouldn't turn it down but I am a sucker for a typical rack. Congrats to the hunter.

10-Jan-17
You can send a piece of antler to a làb to check where the Deer came from & what it diet consisted of .

10-Jan-17
Yup, just because a critter is free range it does not mean it wasn't being fed lots of hormones. I know it would be touchy when someone that had no idea any hormones were being fed in the area shoots a big one and it gets disqualified because of what someone else did.

12-Jan-17
If a deer is called for DNA testing the trophy owner is the one that pays for the tests. If the owner took a free ranging deer with hormones he would only need to prove it was free ranging to have animal entered. I wonder how one would prove fenced or not. I know of deer that failed testing but that was for deer taken from largely different areas. I also think it would be hard to pump enough hormones into a free ranging deer to alter antler size. Possible maybe but consider how administered. Other deer consuming same source and possible getting shot before growing to maximum.

13-Jan-17
Somethign doesn't seem right with it.....

Especially when it ages only 3.5 years old.

13-Jan-17
I wouldn't let it walk, but it's FAR from my dream buck. Give me a big clean 8 pointer any day over that freak.

13-Jan-17
I actually like character more than the pretty bucks. I wonder how long those g2s are, 16" or so?

13-Jan-17
I think it looks really cool, I just don't think it happened without help from a human. I mean 12 points coming off the G2's and 11 points off the G3's if I counted right but still just plan little G1's. The only down side I can see about shooting a buck like this is that the skeptics (like me) would always be insisting there is foul play going on.

13-Jan-17
I would choose that deer over a clean 8 any day but I'd choose a clean 12 over that deer every time. I love a nice big symmetrical rack. Although, now that I think about it, that guy will probably make some good $ because of that buck and I like money too so that would make my choice more difficult. And yes, if I shot a wr I would try to maximize my profit potential. Imo it would be foolish not to.

13-Jan-17
Crusaderdad. When I say a clean 8 I'm talking a heavy racked 160" plus 8 pointer. It takes one hell of an 8 to score that. I have shot a 164" 10 and I have been hunting an 8 that will score as much if not more. When you see a deer like that, you are spoiled for anything else.

14-Jan-17

Jeff in MN's Link
Here is a link to a local report on the deer. I got the link from a friend that lives in the area.

• Sitka Gear