razorhead 19-Jan-17
RutnStrut 19-Jan-17
razorhead 19-Jan-17
Naz 19-Jan-17
skookumjt 19-Jan-17
Naz 19-Jan-17
10-Jan-17

Lawboytom's Link
Just got an email about CDAC meetings taking place in January. Interesting they sent out the email after a number of the meetings have taken place. Fortunately the main county I'm interested in is happening tomorrow. I have made plans to attend.

10-Jan-17

Lawboytom's Link
Just got an email about CDAC meetings taking place in January. Interesting they sent out the email after a number of the meetings have taken place. Fortunately the main county I'm interested in is happening tomorrow. I have made plans to attend.

11-Jan-17
Our meeting was cancelled up here in Washburn County because of weather. I'll attend when they come up with another time. This meeting relates to CWD. I've given them an earful at the last CWD meeting and they'll get another at this meeting too.

11-Jan-17
so Hoot, what is in that earful???? always curious on what goes on in other areas,,,,,

11-Jan-17
When or if they discovered CWD here in Washburn County is my gripe with them. The way they handled the initial testing. A visually suspect deer was shot during gun season. The head laid in some freezer in Madison for four months before testing. Meanwhile they took the carcass out to the Beaver Creek Wildlife area and dumped it. I know all deer are suspect deer when tested, but a visually sick looking deer should have been expedited quickly instead of throwing the head in some freezer and forgetting about it. Hell, the head could be from the core area for all I know. Now there is a possible positive carcass in the Beaver Creek Wildlife area. I called them on this on how absurd this was. I was told this CWD is rather new to us up here. I said it's been here for years in the state and you're telling me no one up here understands the possible consequences. They then told me they erected a fence around the carcass in late March or April (can't remember for sure). I asked how much of the carcass was left and they said a few bones was all but they were sure nothing leaked into the soil as the ground was froze. I brought to there attention that it was in the 70's in March that year and not much frost and how do you know that a critter didn't drag parts off somewhere. I ended up writing Steppe and my letter was forwarded on to a biologist that told me they really screwed up with this deer carcass. I've written their CWD expert up here who was a wildlife tech the year before he was promoted to CWD expert. I asked him a couple of questions about testing and told him, you do know that all tests are not infallible no matter how many times they're tested. My other question he would have to get back to me on them. He never did. Wouldn't you think he should be able to answer my questions. We've had one test positive which was the first initial one and since 6,618 tested have been negative. The last meeting I was at they kept avoiding me when I had my hand raised. Finally I was able to ask two questions that I've been asking since I lived in the core area around Mt. Horeb. I asked how did it get here and how long has it been here in Wisconsin. Silence from the board then one said twenty years, next question. Thank you very much for blowing me off again!

11-Jan-17
thanks Hoot, good post

11-Jan-17
Good post Hoot!

18-Jan-17
just got in from deer hunting,,,,, going to one tonite,, but I am going to my neighbor county, since it is by my house and I live right on a county line,,,,,, my actual county is all across the county to the west,,,, either way, there both the same to me, hunt both sides of my road......

18-Jan-17
never mind it was last week, I had the wrong date

19-Jan-17
Washburn Co. was cancelled because of bad weather. Haven't seen a rescheduled date, but maybe they won't reschedule. Fine by me, it'll save me bail money.

19-Jan-17
Had ours in Kewaunee County last night, biggest attendance in the three years we've done this, about 35 including our committee. Even though we're not a CWD impacted county yet, the turnout and comments showed it's definitely a player in deer management. One of our committee members hunts near ground zero. All three of the bucks they shot this year were CWD positive and says they will not eat them. Every question was supported except a statewide ban on baiting and feeding (surprise ;)

19-Jan-17
my question for the cdac in my area, is the need to buy multiple tags, for a doe, to be legal, on the boundry areas..... I don't think there is much difference from Sheboygan, ozaukee, Washington and eastern fond du lac counties,,,,, I think the herd is being over micro managed in some areas,,,,,, that is only my opinion,,,,,,,,

I did not know Kewaunee county had cwd ???????

19-Jan-17
Razor, the micro managing is necessary to give public land a chance. You can't manage public and private the same. It can be a major hassle, but there is no way to do it to make everyone happy.

19-Jan-17
Well Rut when you put it that way, I can see your point of view,,,,, I may be looking at it, from to small of a window,,,,, anyway I am going to the meetings, you can always learn something

19-Jan-17
No CWD here yet, but this month's CDAC meetings are all on the 30-plus-person committee's recommendations for action, 50+ recommendations. The March and April meetings will be about local quotas and season results.

19-Jan-17
No matter what we use for boundaries, there will always be people "on the border". As it is now we have way fewer units but offer public and private tags.

Hunters need to remember they don't have to buy tags for all the units they hunt. Pick the unit you feel that you have the best chance of killing your doe AND where the shooting a doe makes the most sense from a management perspective.

19-Jan-17
Skook, +1. So true, and deer densities vary so much not only county to county, but township to township and even neighboring property to neighboring property. Saw more than 100 deer in not much more than a mile's drive Sunday afternoon, but then large patches with few or no sightings, too. Ag lands not plowed under obviously were best.

• Sitka Gear