Two Feathers 13-Jan-17
Hoot 13-Jan-17
Crusader dad 13-Jan-17
dbl lung 13-Jan-17
ScottG 16-Jan-17
Nocturnal 16-Jan-17
Crusader dad 16-Jan-17
12-Jan-17
Anyone hunt in vernon county? Looking at a lease there, just wondering if anyone has any info on the area. I've never hunted that kind of hilly country. I'm from SE wi. I'm used to swamp hunting not big hills.

12-Jan-17
I have land in NE Crawford so close by. My land is on a ridge adjacent to a big AG field. Deer move through my place and bed on ridge faces. I've had my place for 16yrs.

12-Jan-17

Naz 's embedded Photo
Naz 's embedded Photo
Don't know much about it, but a friend from my area shot this one there in 2015, his first-ever buck! Private land. And I've noticed the name "Vernon Co." 2-3x (out of top 40) quite often when doing the top 10 whitetails bow and gun, typical and non-typical, for a trophy bucks story each year (using data from WI Buck & Bear Club measurers).

12-Jan-17
great area

12-Jan-17
I've hunted Vernon county for 40+ years. There are some very good bucks in this county. What part of the county is the lease in?

13-Jan-17
I hunted Vernon County for the first time this year at my buddy's cabin. Lot of deer and nice bucks and yes big hills!

13-Jan-17
A friend of a friend hunts Vernon county. And he tags out just about every year with a great one years back his brother killed a 200" early season.

13-Jan-17
I have hunted Vernon and Crawford counties in the Desoto area. I saw more big bucks over there than anyplace else in the state that I've hunted.

13-Jan-17
I've heard Vernon County would rival Buffalo County and Vernon County is the best kept secret for huge bucks.

13-Jan-17
Hoot, now you let the secret out of the bag:-) every tom dick and Harry that lurks but never posts is going to flock to Vernon co now.

ScottG, when the price of your lease doubles you can thank bowsite:-) in truth, my bil said that if he could choose one place in all of wi to own hunting land it would be Vernon co. Good luck man. Post up a pic of your booner next fall.

13-Jan-17
I have hunted the Lacrosse/Vernon County line all my life. I would put those counties and a couple others at the top of the list for whitetails. Both counties are large enough to have areas that are not as good as others but in general there are some very good areas.

16-Jan-17
Lease is in central vernon county. From what I gather from the owner not too many of the neighbors hunt. The land ownership himself hunts but he only shoots for meat, which does include smaller bucks. He said he let's the big ones go they don't taste good. My question is most of the area is open hard woods. Not even many thickets where do these deer bed? Just want an idea where to set up. Just like everywhere else on that side of the state it's hilly. I can hunt swamps very well, just not sure how to approach this. Any suggestions? Hill tops? Valleys? Somewhere in between? Crazy hunting can't wait to give it a shot.

16-Jan-17
Anyway for you to post maps? Hill country can be pretty predictable. Also scouting it throughly will give you an idea. If I had to guess. I'd say they are bedding higher in elevation.

16-Jan-17
I just sent you a pm with a suggestion for a different thread to look at but you should also google the PA deer study and check out how some of the collared deer use that terrain. The food is different but the topography is likely pretty close to what you are going to be dealing with. It will shed valuable insight into how the deer will use and move through your property.

• Sitka Gear