Zack 19-Jan-17
DeerDan 20-Jan-17
bigbuckbob 20-Jan-17
yukon roz 20-Jan-17
jax2009r 20-Jan-17
Toonces 20-Jan-17
bigbuckbob 20-Jan-17
13-Jan-17
I have a bow hunting area near my house. I never hunt there but hike and shred hunt there . For the past 3 yrs there are 20plus ladder and lockons left there. Some the trees are growing around the chains and web straps. Some have 3 cameras round them. Thought they had to be removed every yr ? Also make 747 size shooting lanes. Looks like laziness and erogenous. Whats your take ?

13-Jan-17
I'd like to hear more about the erogenous part of it.

13-Jan-17
Well , destroying trees for one.

13-Jan-17
"I'd like to hear more about the erogenous part of it."

ROFL, bud!

I hunted a public area one year in ML and I couldn't get out of sight of at least two or three stands to save myself. Most were just junk left behind. Doesn't shed a very positive light on hunters in general. And it sure doesn't do much to make me think that if I see a stand in an area that I would like to hunt I should keep moving along. No sense saving space for somebody who's never going to be there again !

13-Jan-17
I said something to a DEP officer. All I got was I will look into. That was 2 yrs ago. Also found a few arrows sticking in the ground near some of the stands. Missed shot ? A hit ? Bet the slobs never even checked. GF , you hit the nail on the head. If a non-hunter see's this ? Gives us a bad name and fuel to their fire.

14-Jan-17
Sorry guys , arrogance. I just realized what auto correct/ spell check put in there. My first topic I post on here. Nice lol.

14-Jan-17
Erogenous tree stands,could be interesting in the right hands..lol

Probably laid claim to that spot 15 yrs ago and forgot about it..

14-Jan-17
There is no claim on public land

14-Jan-17
Public land. What's your beef? And for the arrows....could be markers for range, shot at deer and never found, many explanations. Why don't you just pick them up?

How do you label it as a bad name for hunters? It's what we do. Hunt from a stand legally on legal land to hunt. The public doesn't care about it, only you do. In another post on here you say you leave your pop up blind on state land.....what's the difference?? Cmon man.

14-Jan-17
For one thing , I left my blind there for 2 months not 3yrs. The arrows were shot into the ground not yrd markers. My beef is the woods is a chopped up mess, a tree stand grave yard . I was taught to leave the woods as I found it. Sorry I offended you. First and last time posting here. Thanks

14-Jan-17
Wow. You give an opinion and I give mine and your feelings are hurt. How long have you been bow hunting?

You've never shot a deer and couldn't find your arrow or maybe had an arrow deflect off a limb and you couldn't find it?

Think about those shooting lanes and new areas for browse. Gotta see the good stuff through all the perceived bad.

14-Jan-17
Sit those stands! If there on public land they are public property. I'm never one to do that cause I don't mess with other people's things but I know guys that sit stands on public land all the time. And all say they've never seen anyone in them.

14-Jan-17
BT, I believe it's illegal to cut trees down on public land as well as damaging trees and having your stand permanently attached to a tree is also illegal. Sounds all of those may apply. I agree with westline too much trash in the woods is not a positive image for hunters.

14-Jan-17
Permanent stands means nailed or screwed into a tree. Hang-on and ladder stands are legal.

I still am amazed when I come on here and guys talk about stuff like this, hikers, dog walkers, runners, bird watchers etc. ruining their hunts. Just go hunt somewhere else. It's not rocket science.

And you can't tell me that this or any other state land area is SO GOOD that they have to hunt there....or it's their only spot.

I want Westline to come back and shed light on this area and his experiences. Maybe those who hunt in areas like this or actually leave stands in the woods year round can chime in. Let's hear their side.

15-Jan-17
Once you leave a spot outdoors it should look like you were never there. That's goes for any outdoor activity not just hunting.

15-Jan-17
I used to leave my stands out, but after having two stolen in Ansonia on public land last year, I bring them in at the end of the season.

I also started bringing them in because I felt it wasn't fair to other hunters to leave my stands in one particular area, it's as if you're claiming that area on public land, even though, that is, nor, ever was my intention. It's about fairness, first come, first serve. If a guy beats me to that spot next year, I just move on a few hundred yards and set-up there or go to another area altogether.

Leaving ladder stands can also work against you, it makes the lazier hunters aware of potentially good spots, had this happen to me earlier in the season. Set-up my stand in August and a few days after opening day, I had a ground blind 40 yards away and another stand 60 yards away. But, it's public land, so you learn to deal with it.

15-Jan-17
BT - I think he said the trees had grown around some the chains and straps on the stands, so they're no longer mobile unless you consider using bolt cutters a method of making a stand mobile. I just think of what a DEEP official would say about it and I think he's concerns are valid. I have no problem trimming branches, but I've come across areas on state land where shooting lanes were cut in with a chainsaw!

15-Jan-17
"I also started bringing them in because I felt it wasn't fair to other hunters to leave my stands in one particular area, it's as if you're claiming that area on public land, even though, that is, nor, ever was my intention. It's about fairness, first come, first serve. If a guy beats me to that spot next year, I just move on a few hundred yards and set-up there or go to another area altogether."

And GOD BLESS YOU FOR IT.

Personally, I struggle with the ethics of hunting hard-hit public land when a person has access to private. It's not that he doesn't have every right to hunt the public, but it's one of those "embarrassment of riches" scenarios… if I have access to a good piece (or two) of private property, why should I be out there in the public areas making life any harder on the guys who have nowhere else to hunt?

And anyways, it is far better from a management perspective to be taking more deer from private and fewer from public. That way, everybody has a chance to win.

16-Jan-17
Forgive my ignorance but isn't there some law that says you need to remove your tree stands by March 15th or something like that?

16-Jan-17
Probably, but based on what I saw, there is some confusion as to what year or decade the lawmakers had in mind.

Old Stand = Widowmaker

Especially when you hear about people deliberately tampering with them in such a way as to make them fail.

16-Jan-17
I put my stands up in late August and take them out as soon as I know I am not going to hunt anymore. This year that was the day after I bagged my 2nd buck. I don't want my stands to grow legs and walk away so the shorter time they are in the better I like it. I don't know why someone would leave any stand in year after year. You are just asking for trouble. Sooner or later you will experience an equipment failure.

16-Jan-17
I thought I had a good spot last year when I got permission to enter state land from a side door (not a back door due to lack of parking). When I got into the area I didn't walk more than a few hundred yards when I found a stand. It had been there for several years as the tree had grown around the chains. Walk another few hundred yards and another, and then another and finally a ladder stand.

There are some condos just down the road (another side door into the area) and apparently one or two hunters had the run of the place for several years and placed a few permanent, mobile stands.

17-Jan-17
Thanks GF and by no means am I perfect or don't make mistakes, but I try to minimize the mistakes that may take away from another hunters experience. We all work hard to set up those stands and I feel you have to respect other hunters on public land.

There's nothing wrong with you hunting public and private, you've earned it, so why not enjoy the best of both worlds.

17-Jan-17
it easy to see the arrow now...maybe in Sept not as easy.....I shot a deer this year and search for my arrow and never found it.....now if someone was to find it and think I was a slob which is not the case.....who leaves a 20 to 30 dollar arrow on purpose anyway.....

most non hunters don't know what they are looking at anyway.,...

19-Jan-17
DeerDan said (Sit those stands! If there on public land they are public property. I'm never one to do that cause I don't mess with other people's things but I know guys that sit stands on public land all the time. And all say they've never seen anyone in them. )

Stands on State Land are not public property! Game wardens have told me can't use someones stand without permission.. Warden asked, If your truck is parked on State Land can someone else sit in it? No that's trespassing..

It is legal to setup near them but not I don't, I go find another area, there's a lot more state land spots where you can get away from other hunters if you put in the time scouting.

20-Jan-17
Zack if I leave my truck strapped in the woods for years feel free to sit in it! Lol

20-Jan-17
Zack - I would challenge that warden's comments. If I put up a stand out of boards in the crotch of the tree is it mine, or can others use it? I bought the materials and therefore own it, right? A truck is registered and titled to the owner, treestands are not. If you found a stand laying on the ground in the middle of the woods is it stealing if you take it? Is it legal if you use it? How would the warden even be able to determine who owned the stand? I could say it's mine and the true owner could say it's his. I have it in my possession so what would the warden do?? I would NEVER use someone's stand, but I hate it when people leave stuff in the woods for years.

20-Jan-17
You're taking a big chance using a stand that has been out more than 2 years without changing the straps I would think it's unsafe and not worth the risk.I broke 2 vertebrae falling 16 feet and feel it every day.DON'T RISK YOUR LIFE IN A UNSAFE STAND..

20-Jan-17
Here is the tree stand info in the book

Is it legal to use a tree stand on state property? Yes. The construction of permanent of tree stands involving damage to a tree or shrub is prohibited. The use of portable tree stands is permissible. Hunters who use tree stands should always wear a full-body safety harness or fall arrest system to help prevent injuries. Leaving any personal property unattended is not recommended.

Since I hunt with a climber I will never leave a spot because someone puts a stand there....When you try to stack a claim to an area by doing this assume someone hunts it will a climber or on the ground long before you stepped foot there

20-Jan-17
I think the warden is likely wrong in his or her opinion on the use of other peoples stand on public property equating to trespass.

20-Jan-17
I agree Toonces! I think in Maine you're required to have your personal info on your stand so the wardens know who put it there, might not be a bad idea for CT. That way you can call that person from your cellphone and tell him you're hunting from his stand and you just shot a huge buck,.....you know, to thank him. I bet he would be very grateful for letting him know. Do you think that would teach him not to leave his stand on a good spot? Every time I see a stand in a new area I start looking around for good sign, it's like a sign saying "Hunt Here".

• Sitka Gear