Bob Hildenbrand 22-Jan-17
RC 22-Jan-17
HARRY CARRY 22-Jan-17
hawkeye in PA 22-Jan-17
Red Beastmaster 22-Jan-17
14-Jan-17

HARRY  CARRY's embedded Photo
"And oneth thy Sunday, January 22, 2017, the Archers shall gather in Alverton. Arrows shall flyeth from the flexed limbs of wooden bows. Targets will be hit-teth with authority. And Hurrahs shall be heard 'oer the hills....."

Kinda sounds like bad Shakespeare, eh? Well, how about good Monty Python, if they were presenting a 3D Traditional Archery shoot in Southwestern Pennsylvania?

"THEN SPAM IT SHALL BE!!"

Alright: here's the scoop! Sunday, January 22, 2017 will be "Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers" SPAM SHOOT! Why SPAM? Why not?

To counteract the mid Winter Doldrums which have obviously hit this region, with 15 degree temps one day, and 65 degree temps the next, or the 35 MPH windstorms, or the 2 inches of rain in one afternoon..... IT'S TIME FOR SOMETHING FUN! And what's not fun about a Traditional Archery 3D shoot, to a Traditional Archer?

As usual, the final layout of the day's course is still floating in the collective brain of the Crew. What we do know is that 3 registered Archers will be going home with their very own can of SPAM, simply because, to our knowledge, no other Traditional Archery group (in their right minds) presents SPAM as a random drawing prize.

But we're "Sticks". We are different. We aren't Denton, since we have no Ski Lifts. We aren't Compton, because we don't have colorful cloth patches. Heck, we aren't even Herminie!

If you've attended our 3D events before, you've probably realized that it's the ATTENDEES who make our events fun events. The Crew just sets up targets, mans the kitchen, and sits at the registration table. The folks who travel from Somerset County, Indiana, Allegheny, Washington, Fayette and Westmoreland Counties, even across the West "By God" Virginia and Ohio borders...YOU are the Spirit of "Strictly Sticks".

And you understand the oddness of us offering cans of SPAM....

Because: it's all for the fun and opportunity of flying some arrows with friends, both old and new, and yet to be.

If this frame-of-mind sees you within its picture, then follow whatever pathway...whatever journey you need to make, to meet us on the 22nd of January at the 8 AM hour. Bring your recurve, your longbow, your selfbow made of that very snakey stave of osage. Bring yourself, your sons or daughters, your sisters, brothers, Mothers or Fathers. The curious neighbor who watches you when you Robin Hood arrows in your back yard.

Alverton, between Mount Pleasant and Scottdale, is where we shall be....awaiting your arrival....

We'd be honored if you join us!

Thank you.....From The Crew

14-Jan-17

14-Jan-17
I might show up.

14-Jan-17
Looking forward to it.

14-Jan-17
Looking forward to it. Just changed my mind:)

14-Jan-17
Any hotels or motels near by?

14-Jan-17
Bob, in New Stanton there are a few.... If you "Google Map"/"Bing Map", you'll see that New Stanton is up northwest of the Scottdale-Alverton area, whose exits are along Route 119 South. I'm trying to think if there are any hotels/motels in the metropolis of Mount Pleasant....I'll ask around. Take a gander at the direction page I included in this thread, to get a general idea of the club's/shoot location, in relation to roadways that get there. Where would you be coming from, Bob?

14-Jan-17
THERE ARE HOTELS AND MOTELS.

BUT..

THEY ARE BOOKED SOLID.

What's the difference between a hotel and motel anyways?

14-Jan-17
"I might show up". Did you move???...........

I believe a hotel has a elevator and different floors, a motel is one floor.

Webster says a motel generally opens up into a parking lot.

19-Jan-17
There will be some fine representation from the Tri-County Traditional Archers. When canned meatlike substance is offered it gets our attention.

Besides, the hog hunting crew needs a pow wow before we head south in a few weeks.

19-Jan-17
Red, Yinzs gonna stop at a Sheetz on the way down and do some scouting:)

19-Jan-17
Sorry for my late response: have not been at the computer. But, here's a quick Google/Bing look at hotels/motels in the Mount Pleasant Scottdale area. Just copy this link in a new page:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Holiday+Inn+Express+Mt.+Pleasant+-+Scottdale+Mount+Pleasant&filters=segment%3a%22Hotel%22+local_ypid%3a%22YN735x12755269%22+cacheid%3a%22bafa1b78-73f1-4916-b32c-013da352799f%22+cq%3a%22motels+hotels+mount+pleasant+pennsylvani%22+ufn%3a%22Holiday+Inn+Express+Mt.+Pleasant+-+Scottdale+Mount+Pleasant%22&FORM=SNAPCR&crslsl=0

Red, there ARE Sheetz near these locations. The hog season is ongoing, plentiful, and so very obvious.

20-Jan-17
I thought the old DuMont bit the dust:)

20-Jan-17
The over the mountain men appreciate the new random Spam format that foregoes score cards. Math was never our thing.

With warm weather in the forecast the Sheetz hogs will soon be breaking out the halter tops! With no snow we will track them by following the trail of Marlboro butts stained red from Slurpee juice. The hunting should be excellent this year!

20-Jan-17
I'd pay big money to see Randy score on one of them biggies and then mount it:)

Would take a heavy shaft and waterproof feathers to bring down one of them ole sows..

21-Jan-17
HC I miss the hourly to minute count down.

21-Jan-17
10 hours, 35 minutes until the OFFICIAL "STRICTLY STICKS TRADITIONAL ARCHERS" "SPAM SHOOT!!!!

I've been trying to NOT kill my own threads, but, heck, it starts so soon, this couldn't hurt!

Bring boots suitable for some muddy conditions. And maybe a sacrificial arrow, or 3....

See yinz in the AM!

And THANK YOU from All The Crew!

22-Jan-17
Randy, all I have are good arrows. I'll need 3 of yours.

22-Jan-17
Man the people today! Had to be close to 75 shooters?

Randy...excellent course. Thanks to all you guys.

And the spam winners were?

22-Jan-17
Last I heard was 87. My buddies made me shoot the course twice. Some friends huh? But I did pretty good, only missed 2 targets out of 60 and one was the 40 yarder. Little bit sore at the moment and tired. Great job Randy and and SS crew. Thanks..

22-Jan-17
To EVERYONE who ventured over to Strictly Sticks today: ALL OF THE CREW would like to offer our thanks for making this a VERY FUN Sunday!!

Yes, our final tally was 87 registered Traditional Archers. Pretty sure there were 4 states represented (Ohio, WV, NY and PA), plus a bunch of folks from regional Sporting Clubs, including members of the Pitcairn-Monroeville YOUTH Archery Club. Special Thanks MUST go to ALL of the younger folks for visiting "Sticks" today, because THEY are the future of Traditional Archery. And in all honesty, from what all of us saw in the these young people and their shooting talents and aspirations, the future looks FANTASTIC!

Today's highlight feature was the Random SPAM Drawings, with 3 names being called from all registrants, for a prize of a can of Hickory SPAM, a box of Rice-A-Roni (The San Francisco Treat) and a bottle of YooHoo! The SPAMMERS were: Valerie Donaldson, Ezra Sekerak, and Max "Mongo" Inks! Ezra and Max claimed their prizes, but Valerie had departed by the noon drawing time. So, if anyone out there knows Valerie, please let her know of her prize, and that we'll hold it until we meet up with her.

The Crew greatly appreciates the comments, suggestions, and thanks we received today; they are the reason we continue with "Strictly Sticks" . And we will continue....

Now, if members of your shooting group made other members do things they did not want to do (.....RC...) , remember to just challenge them at one of the next events. Or buy them a sandwich to quiet them. Whatever works! (What happens in the wooded hillsides of Alverton, stays in the wooded hillsides of Alverton. Even lost arrows.....!)

What's next? Well, the February shoot as scheduled. And the March "Archer Appreciation" Shoot....

But, for anyone who'd like to try an indoor paper league, a few of the "Sticks" Crew will be hosting such a league, beginning Sunday, January 29. Times will be from 1 PM until 4 PM Sundays. For more details, just stop over at the clubhouse at that time, and talk with Scott. He'll have all the info you need about this new ongoing event.

In summary, and simply put: THANK YOU !!! From The Crew of "Strictly Sticks"!

22-Jan-17
Thanks to the SS crew for yet another great day of shooting!! Was awesome to see the parking lot that full. The beautiful weather was appreciated also!

22-Jan-17
A great time was had by all!

Thanks SS!

• Sitka Gear