huntperch 03-Feb-17
Zim1 06-Feb-17
Naz 06-Feb-17
skookumjt 06-Feb-17
Naz 06-Feb-17
skookumjt 06-Feb-17
Naz 06-Feb-17
16-Jan-17
Some of us plan our time off based on our spring turkey draws. I looked today. A little different in the past. Go to licenses, and click white box that says: "Current Licenses". It will give you management zone and season.

16-Jan-17
Thanks Pete!

16-Jan-17
So when is says "eligible" that is a go for license?

16-Jan-17
Lama, I can only assume the word "eligible" means that's the period you drew, but they cannot make you buy the tag, making you eligible but not committed. I cross referenced it with four people, and all of us had a different time period.

16-Jan-17
Thanks Pete. I got period B. I'm really excited. I think that may be the best one...

16-Jan-17
That was my first choice. I wonder if maybe they are just displaying your first choice...

Did anyone get a permit other than their first choice?

16-Jan-17
zone 1, time period a, 7,000 acres to myself.

17-Jan-17
I am sure I will draw, will check today,,,, getting the 2nd tag has always been hard for me, not fast enough with the computer,,,,,, outdoor writer Dan Small had like 12 tags last year, man that guy must really be computer fast

17-Jan-17
Got what I wanted. Zone 3 April 19 to 25th. Ya gotta love the way Wisconsin plans the seasons.

17-Jan-17
Zone 4, period B. I may buy a few extra tags if I can. But my later seasons will be very limited this year. I committed to taking the bride on a 20th anniversary trip the last few weeks of May. At least it's not during bow season;)

17-Jan-17
Looking forward to filming the spring turkey hunt this year.

17-Jan-17
Latest opener ever this year under new system. Period A should be red-hot by then.

17-Jan-17
Naz, What do you mean by latest opener ever under new system? I read it as the season is starting later than usual, and I would say earlier than usual?

Maybe I'm just reading it wrong?

17-Jan-17
Got a preference point never drew a tag and put in for 3 choices.

17-Jan-17
Pete, new this year, they moved the opener to the third Wednesday of the month instead of the second as it was previously, making this the latest opener. Unless this changes, April 15 will be the earliest possible future opener and April 21 the latest possible. Used to be April 8 was the earliest and April 14 the latest. DT, I suppose that's possible if you only put the first three periods and there are enough folks with preference points (or landowners) to take up all the tags? Otherwise if you put any of the last three periods you should have drawn.

17-Jan-17
Drop Tine just curious . What zone did you apply for ???

17-Jan-17
Zone 5

17-Jan-17
I looked on DNR website only 12000 tags.

17-Jan-17
Zone C Period 3 5/3 to 5/9 A lot earlier than I normally draw.

If you look at your submitted application you can see your first, second and third choice. I didn't draw my first 2 choices.

I wonder when the leftover tags go on sale??

17-Jan-17
Drop tine did you apply online? For some reason I know of a couple guys who applied online and never got a tag. But had to purchase a leftover. I don't understand why that is but that sometimes happens

17-Jan-17
I had over 30 turkeys in my back yard today, at the bird feeders and just getting out of the rain,,,,, I like the spring system, but the fall hunt should be over the counter

17-Jan-17
No, I applied when I got my licenses at Fleet farm. No biggie I can just do a shoulder drop and pick one off with the truck eating gravel. J/K. ;)

18-Jan-17
Thanks for the clarification Kevin.

20-Jan-17
Kevin I have heard and seen allot of confusion over this new selection notification process of saying "eligible". Again, this morning, I had a retired school superintendent call me wondering if he got the week he wanted. He sent me a screen shot indicating he got period A and period B in Zone two. And, on Wednesday, I had another younger hunter text me a screen shot indicating he got Zone 2 period B and Zone 2 period C. Why does the notifications have to change every year? Is it just to confuse us senior citizen hunters? Will it drive the computer confused hunters away? I wonder if the DNR secretary's grandfather could figure his out? I don't think so. For the majority of us, K.I.S.S.

20-Jan-17

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Raspy, I believe those two people clicked on the wrong tab. If they clicked on "submitted applications", they would have seen something similar to the picture I posted. If they click on "current licenses" instead, they would see the season awarded, or a preference point if they limited their options to only a couple dates. Yes, it changes, but it has changed every single year, and will change again. We are resistant to change, but it's inevitable.

20-Jan-17
Pete-pec, you are right. That is the same picture I received. The school "soup" called me this morning to tell me he got his post card in the mail. Zone 2 period A. Thanks. I can't wait to see next year's changes.

21-Jan-17
I got my 3rd choice, Zone 2....End of May

21-Jan-17
Only changes proposed (and it's at this year's spring hearings) is for over-the-counter fall tags. The spring hunt season structure in all surveys to date is a landslide in favor of leaving it as is. You can't please everyone, but the majority feel it's best the way it is.

24-Jan-17
Zone 2 week 5 leftover tags are 1246 tags less than last year. Interesting reduction.

24-Jan-17
Postcards went out at the end of last week to the awarded time & zones.

25-Jan-17
Zone 1, 1st season. Wish I were going 2 weeks earlier as I dont mind cooler temps.

25-Jan-17
I have heard of quite a few people receiving tags in zones/times they never applied for. My hunting buddy got one for a zone on the other side of the state from us. We know the proper way to fill out apps, we have been doing this for awhile and always received at the worst our 3rd choice. Same with the other people I have talked to. The thing is a lot of these people had 4th or 5th season as a choice on their app. They instead received a different season and zone than what was even on their app. Yet there are thousands of extra tags for sale for 4th -6th seasons in the zones these people wanted.

My only thoughts on that is the DNR makes much more money on extra tag sales than they do on the application fee. When you talk the DNR and clearly show them a mistake was made. They tell you too bad, you are SOL.

25-Jan-17
RutnStrut what zone you apply for ????

25-Jan-17
Sorry RutnStrut I see Zone 4

25-Jan-17
Yup, I got zone 4 2cnd season which was my first choice. It wasn't me it happened to.

27-Jan-17
Zone 2 Season D works for me. I'll get a couple leftovers as well.

28-Jan-17
The season dates were changed so that the sixth season will always be Memorial weekend so you can back things up 6 weeks from there to determine the first week. The leftover permits go on sale starting March 20th they are listed on the dnr page under turkey hunting.

28-Jan-17
To me having 6th season coincide with memorial day weekend isn't too bright. The majority of people will stick to their traditional Memorial day weekend plans as opposed to going turkey hunting.

28-Jan-17
I agree

28-Jan-17
Rut you are a very wise man, I also agree,,,,,, they should have left it alone,,,,,, maybe is was Klafeesh, here is a politician who seems to get what he wants, and he never has to go to a CC meeting.... maybe I will show up with a pink shirt, might get what I want pushed thru easier

28-Jan-17
Razor, don't forget to wear a vagina hat with your pink shirt;)

30-Jan-17
Rut, if a hunter goes into his or her online GoWild account, they can see the exact zone and time period applied for. IF what you say is true (that some hunters got zones they never applied for, and DNR says they are SOL), no way should they be out of luck. In fact, if they can prove by taking a screen shot or whatever of that and show a DNR rep at a service center that they never applied for the zone they got a tag for, I would bet money they would be awarded a tag if any are leftover for the zone they applied for.

30-Jan-17
Naz, I explained exactly that to 2 of the half a dozen people I have talked to that this supposedly happened to. Those 2 both showed their accounts on their phones. They were correct that there was no selection on their app for the season and zone they received. Both were going to call the DNR today, I haven't heard back from them yet.

30-Jan-17
Sounds good, maybe it was an "app" error? Who knows, but if they have proof I'd certainly fight for it and I'd bet they'll get approved for the right tag.

01-Feb-17

Naz 's Link
Update on tag numbers and leftovers

01-Feb-17
Well I heard back from one of my buddies. He contacted the DNR, explained everything and they told him once the drawing was done, there was nothing they could do. He even had them go into his account and look that what he was given was not a choice. He was told he should look at it as a gift then. I wish I could say I am surprised.

01-Feb-17
I would go right to a DNR Service Center, start at the front desk but ask for a supervisor or local wildlife manager if the front desk can't help. Find it really hard to believe if he didn't ask for "any other zones" and got one instead of what he had marked down.

01-Feb-17
You guys that got a kill tag, should be happy you got one! I've gotten a tag for the last 8 years in zone 6, but, this year, it didn't happen! I am still planning on taking vacation from work and will hunt the same way, only with a camera!.........and maybe I'll carry my Remington 5mm too, just in case some of them furry critters should happen to cruise by.

02-Feb-17
I have seen this happen, because it happen to me, a few years ago, and others who I knew did not draw, but there were tags left over,,,,, always some glitches, but that is life........ on the other hand, you have a better chance of Lake Mi freezing over, than to get a supervisor at a customer service center,,,,, there hardly ever open

02-Feb-17
My buddy applied for:

1st - Zone 7, period B 2nd - Zone 7, period A.

That's it. He can't get off work the other time periods. Thinking if you didn't get one he would have a preference point for next year.

He got a yellow post card that says he has a tag for Zone7, period F. Never applied for that. He can buy a leftover for that zone & time. He is trying to get it straightened out.

03-Feb-17
My son had a preference point and put in for second season zone 2 then 3rd season zone 2 and he got zone 2 4th season. Hasn't heard back from DNR

06-Feb-17
"My son had a preference point and put in for second season zone 2 then 3rd season zone 2 and he got zone 2 4th season. Hasn't heard back from DNR "

Wow I'm a nonresident/0 points and applied for these same two choices, and got the same 4th season tag your son did. Ya don't seem right.

06-Feb-17
Agree sounds odd, but is it possible there were enough with preference points and landowner preference to gobble up those tags?

06-Feb-17
If you only apply for the periods you really want, you don't use up your preference by getting a tag for a zone/time you didn't really want. Frequently you can just buy those permits in the leftover sale anyways.

06-Feb-17
Skook, I don't believe that's true. The way I understand it, a tag awarded means no preference the following year, unless something has changed?

06-Feb-17
If you only put the time/zone you really want, you may not get drawn but at least you get preference. I'm pretty sure buying leftover tags doesn't count against preference.

06-Feb-17
OK, I misread your post, sorry. I thought you meant if you only applied for say, period one or two, and got drawn for period four instead, you'd still have preference (which wouldn't be true). You're right on buying a leftover. Only difference there is now it costs you "more" vs. getting two tags for that price had you got one the first time.

• Sitka Gear