RutnStrut 26-Jan-17
RJN 26-Jan-17
happygolucky 26-Jan-17
happygolucky 26-Jan-17
happygolucky 26-Jan-17
16-Jan-17

ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo
ELK ELSEWHERE's embedded Photo
Here my main plot maker. 25 horse MF 4x4 also tiller, drags, corn planter and brush hog. Does a great job on a few acres. How about you?

16-Jan-17
You're not worried about burning out the transmission?

16-Jan-17
Tweed, hydrostatic transmission about bulletproof.

Never, big boys wear Meindels. Tell mom for next year Christmas time.

16-Jan-17
Tweed, hydrostatic transmission about bulletproof.

Never, big boys wear Meindels. Tell mom for next year Christmas time.

16-Jan-17
1952 Ford 8N

16-Jan-17
Never-do us all a favor and pull your lip over your head and swallow.

16-Jan-17
This is a real question neverbait. Why do you come to this site?

16-Jan-17
Sad you cannot answer that honestly. Shows your character. :/

16-Jan-17
I'm pretty sure you posted a pair of boots. It would be nice if you could be a decent guy. This site would be better off. Sorry to hi-jack the thread. Last post here seeing as I can't contribute anything.

16-Jan-17

Tri-County's embedded Photo
Tri-County's embedded Photo

16-Jan-17

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo

17-Jan-17
John Deere 4460 loader/tractor, 6' John Deere disk and Ferminator planter/compactor. Fifty gallon electric sprayer with 10' boom.

17-Jan-17
Oh, no boots needed. All the above doable in tennis shoes.

17-Jan-17
I consider it "community service" to let a person with so little self esteem and social skills to join the men in a conversation.

17-Jan-17
That's awfully charitable of you CaptMike.

The guys with these pieces of equipment: did you purchase these with the 1st priority being your food plot or do they serve another primary purpose? I'm assuming these are on properties where you live?

17-Jan-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Lime and fertilizer spreader.

17-Jan-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Seeder

17-Jan-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Tillage equipment.

17-Jan-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Compactor.

17-Jan-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Finished product.

17-Jan-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Finished product.

17-Jan-17
Puppy mix Woodsdweller.

17-Jan-17
Always good to get a quick round of comedy in early in the morning reading the usual banter! Trapper, your Compactor. Did you make that yourself or purchase? I have look at DIY options and was trying to determine what would be the appropriate size to pull behind a 400 ATV. That one you have looks pretty big and heavy. As for my gear: 400 ATV, 65 year old rake harrow, 50 year old spike drag, walk behind seeder/spreader, hand crank seeder, 8 gallon battery sprayer, 2 gallon hand sprayer. 2 plots: 1.5 acres, 1 acre.

17-Jan-17
Dutch, All that is, is a standard lawn roller that I put 15 gallons of sand in plus a gallon of drain oil. I actually have 2 4 foot cultipackers also that are probably 100 years old.. I would not buy a lawn roller for doing what I do but I found this one discarded and I leave it at the farthest plot so I don't have to transport on my rock covered roads.. For an off season project you could get a 6" corrugated culvert, a couple of bags of redi mix, a piece of 1" pipe for an axle and you will be all set.

17-Jan-17
"You grew a dog? What sort of seed was that?"

This is a no brainer. It's Lablab of course.

17-Jan-17

bfisherman11's Link
I traded up from my 1941 Ford 9N to this LS G3033H. Has a loader with skid steer mount, Hydrostatic and 4x4. Implements wise I have a 5' brush hog, disc, 2 bottom plow and a homemade drag.

I enjoy food plotting. I am very selective these days what I will shoot and I see far more does and fawns using my land since I improved the habitat. I also hinge cut trees, make trails to try and induce or influence the deer travel through my 40 acres. Like others at times it is a family activity. My wife also helps me in clearing trails and planting. I am lucky my ground is very fertile and what I plant usually grows well. Of course I do soil samples and fertilize as needed.

I get help from things I have read here and one guy in particular "Nutritionist" who owns Grandpa Rays seed.

I have had great luck with Chicory as a perennial plot. Annuals like turnips and brassica do well to but you have to rotate them with something like clover.

This spring I am expanding my Chicory plot to add a perimeter of clover, small burnet and a bit of alfalfa. My other plot has been clover for two years and that is getting killed off and planted with a mix of beets, chicory, plantain and rutabaga.

Like I said, I enjoy plotting. Hope folks that don't can see that there are some of us that enjoy it, gets us outdoors and a connection to our land. I don't see how that can be a bad thing. Good for the soul!

Have fun, Bill

17-Jan-17
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v636/bfisherman11/LS3033_zpsjgyh4aey.jpg

17-Jan-17

bfisherman11's embedded Photo
bfisherman11's embedded Photo

17-Jan-17
Not many photos are coming through on this thread.

ATV, pull disk with harrow on it 5ft wide, sprayer, drag to cover the seed and pull behind spreader for fertilizer. I do around 3 acres with that every year.

17-Jan-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I haven't really been able to justify any major investments for the little bit of dink'n around I do.

My old faithful '87 GMC wood-hauler ain't exactly a tractor but it does have 4WD, power steering, brakes and windows and a stereo and it pulls the disk really well.

17-Jan-17

Or my Arctic Cat 700 ATV...

17-Jan-17

I don't have a roller but I improvise for a drag to pack down seeds. I've also used my big Otter sled with concrete blocks inside of it but the rocks in the field are hard on the plastic sled. I've since retired the door and I use an old truck hood now.

17-Jan-17

I have a little spreader for spreading lime and fertilizer.

17-Jan-17

And a little sprayer...

17-Jan-17

The tiller on my old 1966 Wheelhorse still works really well too...

17-Jan-17
Tweed, forgot a 6' JD brush hog. This is on hunting property, not where I live and was purchased solely for use on that property.

17-Jan-17
Mike, perfectly acceptable to use Chevy parts to plot with. Glad you found a use for them!

That wood hauler reminds me of my old 85 chev short box, loved that truck and wish I still had it. Your sprayer set up is a lot like mine, works good too.

Tweed, my hunting property is about 5 miles from where I live and store tractor and implements. I usually trailer stuff there, sometimes leaving stuff there for a few weeks in the spring. I bought a cheaper Kabota 4X4 when I started plotting but upgraded to a new tractor with a bucket for other chores. Can plant trees, clear trails, cut fire wood, serious yard work, and use it for snow in the winter.

I can brush hog corn stalks right into the dirt while wearing tennis shoes but will often wear flip flops if weather permits. Some big stuff some of you guys use.

17-Jan-17
Can some answers this question? How is a food plot cheating? According to the DNR food plots are creating habitat. Honestly, this next season will be first food plot for me i have no idea on how to do one but I'm going to give it a try and actually I'm excited to do it. I love .gardening, so I look at as I'm planting a garden for wildlife.

Also, I came on this site for the info and ideas guys or gals have on everything to do with hunting . And for the most part it's been good info. Just wish I didn't have to waste my time reading about this guy doesn't like this guy. If you all would just ignore the ones causing the problems they will probably just get board and stop causing so much crap. Let's just keep on topic and help one another.

17-Jan-17

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
I'm with ya Trapper! Each year, the horsepower goes up slightly. I've just been doubling the size of my tiny kill plot each year. I might have half an acre by the time my oldest can hunt!

17-Jan-17
Scottg, go to habitat talk and dont spend energy here talking foodplots, trees, enviorment.

17-Jan-17
Reggie that looks like a pretty small plot. What do you figure the size is? Is it productive.

17-Jan-17
That was where my boy was raking, a few years ago. It's now 10 yards wide by 40 yards long. I got a boat load of pics of deer, turkey and coyote. I actually never sat over it though this last year.

25-Jan-17

Tallgrass's embedded Photo
Tallgrass's embedded Photo

25-Jan-17

RJN's embedded Photo
RJN's embedded Photo
I use this for small plots under 1/4 acre. Spray with gly and after 10 days it works good. Kabota tractor for bigger plots.

25-Jan-17
RJN, is there anything you don't like about the GHM? I have really been thinking about getting one. It would be handy for a couple kill plots that are impossible to access with equipment. I also thought It would be good to work up a large pumpkin patch or two I am doing at home.

25-Jan-17
Rut, I will answer before RJN does. If you have rocky ground, forget about it as it will tear up the rear end of the wheeler especially if your receiver hitch is only mounted to the rear axle. If you have sandy or nice loamy soil they work awesome.

25-Jan-17
I got a moose 2 inch receiver installed on my atv so I can just plug it in and go. You need ramps to a just height. My Honda is a 420 and it will work it pretty hard. You will get a workout if you don't have power steering. Killing all vegetation is a must on new plots. I use it mostly for small seed plots like turnips, clover, etc where deep tillage isn't needed.

25-Jan-17

RJN's embedded Photo
RJN's embedded Photo
This is about a 1/8 acre plot. The ghm works good especially 3 or so days after it rains and softens up the ground. When it's bone dry and the ground is hard it won't do much.

25-Jan-17
I have been really considering getting one for my Honda Rubicon. I really believe the solid rear axle machine handles stuff like this better.

26-Jan-17
I would echo Trapper. I bought the Ground Hog Maxx and it work great when the soil was damp and I was scratching the top 2-3"+/-. Second time out I hit 1 medium rock(basketball size) and that was it. It bent my rear axle hitch to nearly 45 degree angle. I had it straighten and reinforced with a stronger weld. A few laps in and it started to bend again so I stopped. Sold the GMX the next day.

26-Jan-17
It's too bad a guy can't make a mount for it that has some kind of break away or shear pin. It would have to be strong enough to support the weight of the machine and rider and regular use. But if a sudden impact with something like a rock it would let the GHM tilt up. It would for sure add to the cost. But maybe a DIYer could make something in a home shop. Hmm, I'm going to ponder this for awhile.

26-Jan-17
I've never had a problem but we don't have rocky ground either.

26-Jan-17

happygolucky's embedded Photo
The basics work on smaller scales.
The basics work on smaller scales.
ATV, backpack spreader, push spreader, hand spreader, rake. This is for those kill plots in the woods.

26-Jan-17

26-Jan-17

I took it up a notch for the bigger plot we did this year.

I hope to add a cultipacker this year. My ice sled loaded with weight has worked.

• Sitka Gear