notme 25-Jan-17
BigHurt 25-Jan-17
17-Jan-17

Paul's Link

17-Jan-17

Paul's Link
Try this one

17-Jan-17
I'm surprised they had just scratches, unless the report is not accurate,......you know, fake news:)

17-Jan-17
Big problems with bobcats. I know of trappers who refuse to trap in areas it's so bad. They eat 1/3 of deer fawns but don't worry. State has has outright stated their objective is to reduce herd. Gotta live with it.

17-Jan-17
Let's talk when bobcats kill as many humans as deer do instead of just scratching them.

17-Jan-17
Yeah that's always a good idea Doc...lets wait until someone dies and then try to take care of the problem

17-Jan-17
Who cares? Did you hear about the ice storm chicken little.....

17-Jan-17
As I watched the news story and they showed an ariel photo of the place, I couldn't help but wonder if I am the only one that feels compelled to scan pics like that and look for likely bedding and feeding areas....

17-Jan-17
Ask for permission and bring some bobcat slippers for the host. Should I say........Shoe in

17-Jan-17
My point is from a public health perceptive, deer kill lots of people and make a lot of people sick. Bobcats don't kill people. You can do the math.

18-Jan-17

notme's embedded Photo
As kids,we always knew Roberts bad vision would someday get him in trouble
notme's embedded Photo
As kids,we always knew Roberts bad vision would someday get him in trouble

18-Jan-17
That would stink. it could be a weasel, a little, dorky weasel, and I wouldnt want to tangle with it. Wild animals are way tougher than "we" are.

I thought someone posted a study on here (maybe it was the MA page) in the spring showing that total fawn deaths attributed to non human predators was around 30% with the highest % being bears, then bobcats and coyotes split the rest... Roughly - dont quote me :). Serious question though - Is that about right?

18-Jan-17
Doc - are you saying deer make people sick or are you referring to the tick problem? I understand deer/car issues but some of that is due to people just not paying attention to the road, and it's not due to deer attacking people in green houses :)

18-Jan-17

Dr. Williams's Link
The rabid bobcat attacked the 3 women, it didn't kill them. Deer move and dart into traffic. I'd guess that most people who die are in fact paying attention to the road and overreact trying to avoid the deer. The attached link is not the best, but reaffirms what I'm talking about in terms of numbers of fatalities annually.

18-Jan-17

notme's Link
wiki/Toilet-related_injuries_and_deaths

18-Jan-17
You ever had rabies shots, doc? OR been attacked by a dog? Mad Dog

18-Jan-17
I'm not sure where this is going but yes, I've been attacked by a dog and yes I've had rabies shots. And yes I've hit a deer with my truck, on Route 2 in Colchester coming home from doing the night shift of radio telemetry on Mumford Cove. I saw the first one go by, but not the second.

19-Jan-17
Doc - here's a tip for you. Where you see one deer, there are usually others:) Be careful out there.

We have something in common - I was also bitten by a dog as young boy, got $25 from the owners insurance and they paid the doctor bills, no rabies shot needed though.

19-Jan-17
Now that I think about it, I swear I saw a buck with a gun strapped to his hind quarter. Wonder how many people he's killed?

19-Jan-17
I think he had the flu as well, could of made me sick if I got too close :)

19-Jan-17

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo

19-Jan-17
"could of made me sick if I got too close :)" I'm pretty sure he did. :)

20-Jan-17
Mad Cow BB, mad cow. It helps to be a bit crazy at times.

20-Jan-17
Crazy good...lol

20-Jan-17

Dr. Williams's Link
Bob, hunters use those stats all the time when it is convenient for them. You remember the Sunday hunting testimony? Remember? Here are a few quotes: “Deer/Car collisions, Lyme disease occurrence, and property damage are all increasing.” “Large populations of White-tailed deer have been identified as a primary threat to the health and diversity of our forested landscapes.” “In Southwest Connecticut, the density of deer ranges between 40 and 100 deer per square mile.” “Lowering the number of deer per square mile reduces the risk of Lyme Decease [sic].” So when these arguments suit hunters and can potentially expand recreational opportunity, hunters are all in. But I have heard pretty much everything counter to every statement here on this site from guys to the tune of “don’t blame the deer!” Soooo, which is it? Are deer densities in SW CT at 40 – 100 per square mile as tons of guys agreed as they signed onto this testimony provided by the Coalition of CT Sportsmen to further recreational opportunity and hunt Sundays, or is it really 7.234678 per square mile as some claim? Does lowering the number of deer really decrease disease or does fewer deer = more Lyme as some have claimed? Do deer-vehicle collisions really not kill people? Do ticks not make people sick?

20-Jan-17
Somebody is extra grumpy lately. Seems as if his goal here recently is to just be the contrarian; perhaps his chosen one lost an election? I wonder if the public funds for bug studies might be drying up.

20-Jan-17
" It helps to be a bit crazy at times."

That's OK, but please don't tell me you're living with 30 cats.

20-Jan-17

Speaking of contrarians, here's Chas's Sunday hunting testimony. . .

20-Jan-17

Speaking of contrarians, here's Chas's Sunday hunting testimony. . .

20-Jan-17
And your point Dr Grumpy? (besides the one on the top of your head) So we shouldn't talk about Rabid Bobcats, because more people are dying of encounters with deer ... Some people here can consider and react to more than 1 idea at a time. You know, like chewing gum and walking. Try it some time, with a lot of practice I'll bet even you can get it right. Just say it out loud Doc, you voted for Hillary and you're having a bad day. It's ok, it's not THAT embarrassing.

20-Jan-17
bobcats to ticks, WB and Deer collisions...give it a rest

did the bob cat test positive for rabies?

20-Jan-17

notme's Link
http://www.alternet.org/personal-health/not-all-greenery-good-10-hazardous-houseplants

20-Jan-17
Well, at least now I've had all my shots....

20-Jan-17

Mike in CT's Link
Jax,

Yes-see link. I had suspected this would turn out to be the case as ordinarily bobcats are wary of human contact.

20-Jan-17
Yeah, but I bet the ticks made the bobcat rabid, that's why we need to kill all of the deer, so we can save the children (don't worry, it doesn't have to make sense, it's science). Some people on this site would recommend we kill the person with the flu to stop the spread of the common cold.

I know, don't take things there Bob. Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes,....I'm bored. Why can't shawnm start another live hunt??? It's either his fault or Obama's. Just kidding shawnm, love watching your hunts, Obama,.....no so much.

20-Jan-17
I don’t think we have spoken about WB on this thread yet. Yes the bobcat was rabid. My point is whether you like it or not, deer kill lots of people. Lots of deer perpetuate lots of ticks and ticks get people sick. So there is more public support behind deer management from a public health perspective which is why we have baiting, 4.5 months of archery, Sunday hunting, crossbows, unlimited tags, etc. Could the CT bobcat population support a trapping season? Probably, but it is going to be a harder sell without all the detrimental public health aspects that come with deer that hunters don’t like to bring up unless it could further their own opportunities to kill even more deer. And yet when taking advantage of that added opportunity, hunters are then angry with DEEP when they start to see deer populations decline as the result of increased take. It’s all a very tangled web and hunters are usually never happy. Will we see bobcat trapping in the next few years? Maybe. Based on the number of images we have of them in Redding, I’d be for it.

20-Jan-17
Doc - the CDC list several ways to prevent lyme disease, and nowhere do they say kill all the deer. They only mention deer on their website as the main carrier of ticks that cause lyme disease and suggest you don't plant certain vegetation and use deer repellents. Otherwise they say check yourself for ticks, wear long sleeves, apply repellent, cut brush back from yard, etc. Why do you only concentrate your discussions around killing deer as the preventive measure to lyme?

Why isn't lyme being considered for the Staten Island project with WB if it's such a problem? Seems inconsistent to me. If SI has a problem with car/deer collisions then killing (WB, not hunters) them immediately fixes the problem, not vasectomies. You already pointed out that deer kill so many people, so it would seem like a logical solution.

20-Jan-17

notme's Link
https://www.google.com/amp/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSTRE70553O20110106

20-Jan-17

Dr. Williams's Link
Lyme disease is generally non-fatal. However babesia, anaplasmosis, and Powassan are all tick-borne diseases that do result in death on occasion with young people, old people, and immunocompromised people. However, there is no disputing that deer kill many 100s of US motorists annually.

20-Jan-17
Bob, I'm saying public health issues whether tick-borne disease or vehicle collisions are often successfully used to justify the taking of more deer aka. increased hunting opportunity. Just look at Chas's testimony. He claims there are too many deer being taken from Zone 11 towns like Redding, but on the other hand is saying very publicly that we need to take even more on Sundays in the interest of public health. That doesn't make sense to me. If the same public health issues could be said for bobcats, we would probably have a season by now. Same with bears. Human death and illness by deer is pretty common. Death or illness or injury by bear and/or bobcat is very uncommon.

20-Jan-17
Of course it doesn't make sense to you Doc, maybe you should ask people to type more slowly, see if that helps. You can say what you want about your buddy Tony and White Buffalo, and try to defend your Tick Study/ Deer Killing spree, but guys here can spot bullshit and a bullshitter a mile away.

Doc's position can be summed up this way: In Redding you have to kill most of the deer so people don't get Lyme Disease or hit them with their cars, but in Staten Island, you just have to neuter them. What we still haven't heard from him is why he is apparently just fine with those New Yorkers getting Lyme Disease or hitting deer with their cars. Maybe he's a Red Sox fan?

20-Jan-17
Over 3,000 deaths a year in the UK are the result of home accidents – more than on the roads. Half of these in-the-home deaths (1,500) are people falling over – and, of these, between five and ten each year take place when people are trying to put on socks. (In 2003, 11,788 people were taken to hospital following accidents while putting on socks, tights or stockings).

It gets worse.67,000 people are injured each year in the UK trying to peel the cellophane off a packet of sandwiches or open a ring-pull can.

Research shows that around seventy per cent of British people are ‘concerned’ or ‘very concerned’ about national security. I would hazard that around zero percent worry about putting on their socks.

Or near to zero: Googling “design” and “homeland security” yields a score today of 3,220,000; Googling “design” + “putting on socks” + “safety” yields a score of 840.

20-Jan-17
Over 3,000 deaths a year in the UK are the result of home accidents – more than on the roads. Half of these in-the-home deaths (1,500) are people falling over – and, of these, between five and ten each year take place when people are trying to put on socks. (In 2003, 11,788 people were taken to hospital following accidents while putting on socks, tights or stockings).

It gets worse.67,000 people are injured each year in the UK trying to peel the cellophane off a packet of sandwiches or open a ring-pull can.

Research shows that around seventy per cent of British people are ‘concerned’ or ‘very concerned’ about national security. I would hazard that around zero percent worry about putting on their socks.

Or near to zero: Googling “design” and “homeland security” yields a score today of 3,220,000; Googling “design” + “putting on socks” + “safety” yields a score of 840.

20-Jan-17

Dr. Williams's Link
Chas you know what else guys here can spot? Someone who has been caught in a nonsensical, self-serving argument. You don’t want as many deer killed, and yet you want more days afield to kill fewer deer? You can type as slow as you would like, if it helps you come up with coherent thought that comes through in text.

V. Not sure why we are talking about accidents in the UK. But CT hunters want more opportunity to hunt deer and the CT public are looking for sensible densities so they don’t hit them with their cars and so their kids don’t get bitten by ticks and get sick. Should be a match made in heaven, but no. Something can be done about the number of vehicle collisions with deer, have fewer deer. See the link here. Doesn't have to be sharpshooting, can be hunting, if hunters were willing.

If hunters could get it done, they would have ample opportunity to do so, and that is the point I have been trying to get across. But when deer densities get to a certain level, hunters complain there are no deer around, blame DEEP, and then advocate for Sunday hunting all in the same breath. In an instance like Staten Island, they chose they route they chose for the reasons they thought were important. That was their decision, not mine. Sometimes hunting isn’t the answer, like in Staten Island, and when hunting can’t get deer densities low enough, which is most of the time.

Again, I am not hell-bent on killing deer. There are public health concerns that facilitate additional deer management strategies like baiting, like Sunday hunting, like 4.5 month seasons, like unlimited tags, like use of crossbows, like no setbacks for archery, etc. Hunters are all in for preserving public health when it gets them something like Sunday hunting, but then when a guy like me calls them out on it, I get crap like Chas writes in a lame attempt to insult me for seeing things for what they are.

20-Jan-17
While it's fine with me that wildlife managers need to "use" hunters/hunting as a tool to accomplish a goal for the greater good. It's true.

But man, Dr Williams, I read your posts and it just really furthers for me a belief that's really been growing the past several years for me. Hunters need to stop justifying our enjoyment of hunting through primarily a population control focus. Sure, that's a good outcome of hunting... But man... It really paints "us" into a corner.

What do you do when the population really is low? How do you justify hunting then? It feels like a slope towards really depressed opportunities to hunt, or at least, a highly mechanized view of hunting.

Feels like "we" ought to "fight" for it based on other merits and note that some real positives may include things like: population control, forest regrowth etc...

They are similar approaches, but feel really different to me.

20-Jan-17
I always give people the benefit of the doubt and like everyone until they do something to me or annoy me.

Today was the day doc made it to the ahole list.

Clearly you are here posting just to play devils advocate and annoy people. Congrats!!! You've done it.

21-Jan-17

notme's Link
https://www.google.com/amp/www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/bizarre-deaths-21-weird-ways-3009801.amp

I guess to show how stupid stats are and easily manipulated they can be...i could care less if 18 people died from paper cut infections since the invention of the Gutenberg press

21-Jan-17
Sounds like to me that those who live in the UK are idiots.

21-Jan-17
Hey Crow, how are you doing bud? So Doc, JUST NOW made it to your Ahole list? Wow, you are one patient man! If you ever met him, you'd have probably arrived at that position quicker.

What Doc is incapable of grasping, is that most Hunters are not looking to kill as many deer as possible, we want a healthy herd, and shockingly we expect honesty and integrity from these public employees whose salary we pay.

Asking for Sunday Hunting, or additional access, has nothing to do with wanting to kill more deer. It's about getting to enjoy our passion, and it's about fairness and property rights. Every serious bow hunter I know thinks we should reduce the deer take, and most of us agree that the number of tags should be reduced.

Doc likes to say that he doesn't work for the DEEP, or speak for them, but then he comes here and speaks for them, hmmm. Seems like most guys here have figured him out. He doesn't bowhunt but he sure spends a lot of time here tellling Bowhunters what we need to do. He's not Plaing Devil's Advocate, he's Trolling.

21-Jan-17
Just pointing out inconsistencies in hunters and hunting. Like I have said, you guys are the ones killing all the deer, DEEP is giving you ample opportunity to do so is all. DEEP knows that if they give hunters enough opportunity, they will spend more time afield and kill more deer. And you guys are happy to oblige, until you realize that killing 5 and 6 deer a season really adds up and now you are "only" killing 3 or 4. Then you get mad at DEEP and their biologists and yet still hunt through January, Sundays, use the additional antlerless tags and take full advantage of what they have to offer, all while bitching about them and claiming there are no deer left. It's nonsensical. And yup, I am not an employee of DEEP and can point this stuff out to you guys, where DEEP employees cannot. It's about time you heard it and take it into consideration instead of chastising the messenger for pointing out your ridiculous double-standard arguments, like using public health service when it suits you only.

Crow, sorry if pointing out the obvious annoys you.

21-Jan-17
Doc - aw come on, are trying to tee it for me!!!??? Inconsistencies?? How many times have you said hunters can't kill enough deer to reduce the herd, and now you're saying we're the ones killing all of the deer, and that killing 5-6 deer a season really adds up. Do you hear yourself?

And let's talk about Sunday hunting? Did you also forget to mention those same asking for Sunday hunting are asking for reduced bag limits and changing the tagging process to avoid unreported kills? Sure you did!

And please tell us why a DEEP employee can't tell us what impacts the deer herd that they're responsible for managing? Is there a law against educating the public? I've spoken with more than one game warden in my 48 years afield and they were always there to discuss the deer herd in the areas I was hunting, even when I disagreed with them. Talk about ridiculous.

Let's also throw in your recent comments about how deer kill so many people and make thousands of others sick, and yet you arguing that your good friend Tony D is doing the right thing on Staten Island by de-nutting (yeah, I know that pisses you off instead of saying vasectomy) instead of killing and removing these disease plagued killers of the human race.

And let's not forget your outright lies when you tried to tell us that Great Mountain Forest has a deer problem. You didn't know that I know the caretaker there and discussed your comments with him and he said whoever said that doesn't know what he's talking about!! The only deer problem we have is there are none!

My, my we have the little boy on the playground that no one wants on their team, but you still try to play with us. You must be so lonely to spend your time on site where everyone thinks you should disappear. I guess you've counted all the ticks (what an exciting, interesting job you have) and now you're bored, so you'd rather get roasted on this site then find another hobby.

21-Jan-17
I'm hardly getting roasted Bob. I am engaging you guys and challenging your crazy arguments on deer management and what you are able to challenge me back with are insults only. Like Ace and Crow. Hardly roasting, just proof that I am correct as you guys have no other ammo. I never said hunters can't kill enough deer to reduce the herd. I said they can't get them below 40 deer/square mile in residential areas; densities like that do virtually nothing for ticks and ecological damage. DEEP employees can't tell you guys what you need to hear. Again, the decision on Staten Island was their's to make. Can WB sharpshoot and lethally remove deer from there using other methods? Sure. It would be political suicide for the mayor which is why they opted for sterilization, not neutering. I knew you knew the GMF manager and I never said they had a deer problem. I said they want deer densities reduced because they were seeking forest regeneration. Bob, you sure have a way of putting words in my mouth. It would help if you would pay closer attention. Talk about "spin"....

21-Jan-17
Denial is a wonderful thing, it allows Doc to continue to post here looking foolish yet still think he is scoring points. I remember well, when a Sr person at the DEEP, after watching him make an absolute ass of himself, said: "yeah, that didn't go well, we're not going to let him talk to the public anymore". And now he comes here, probably just for our entertainment. Classic.

21-Jan-17
That all you got left in the tank Chas? More insults? Oh and you want fewer deer killed with more opportunity to do so, all in the name of improving public health. Genius! DEEP and the public will never see through that "logic"! Impress us all and come back at me with something other than personal insults next time. Defend your argument... or can't you?

22-Jan-17
how does a bobcat thread turn into a pointless deep and deer argument....

Why don't you start a thread for that rather than filling this up with BS....

22-Jan-17
I liked it better when the threads turned into beaver threads....

22-Jan-17
Ace got put on the spot with fact and turned to personal insults and talk of Redding and WB. Crow hates people who annoy him with fact. Bob makes up his own "facts". Go back and read through the thread. It's all there. As I was saying, if bobcats caused the same negative health impacts to humans as did deer, there would be more justification for population management. But now, as Oneye said, they are killing deer which make people sick and can kill them. The state has plenty of deer AND could probably support a limited bobcat season in select areas, perhaps NW CT.

22-Jan-17
One person here keeps bring Redding, CT and White Buffalo into the discussions. And one person here continues make baseless claims, and then later say he was stating facts, and that all the other posters are misguided. Here's a hint: it's Scott Williams PhD.

What I find ironic, is that any time anyone searches Scott Williams, or Tony DiNicola, or White Buffalo, these threads will show up in the search results, and then they can decide for themselves if WB is worth hiring, despite all the crap they bring along with them; or if Scott Williams is worth considering for that big job counting bugs. Maybe Mike in CT can do the math for us on business and opportunities lost.

The more Doc chimes in, the more people see what he's really all about. Priceless.

22-Jan-17
Doc - I don't make up facts and I don't resort to name calling. Let me refresh your memory concerning one LIE (to keep it simple) you were caught in. You had mentioned to the group on this site a while back that there were several areas in the state that needed help reducing deer numbers and you mentioned the MDC area in Barkhamsted, Great Mountain Forest and a few others. I called MDC and the lady stated she knew nothing about a controlled, but she was wrong and you provided the correct information concerning that hunt (I'm admitting you were correct, please remember that, it goes towards credibility).

However, when I contacted Jody Bronson at GMF ( a place I hunted for years) he stated whoever said we have too many deer on the property doesn't know what they're talking about, there are none; and you tried to deflect that lie by saying you called Jody and had a good laugh. Does that refresh your memory?

Your agenda is the only thing you're interested in and it's what you promote on this site. Anyone who challenges your statements is a fool in your eyes, and most of the time we're talking about opinions, not facts. That's what pisses us off. Just like when you say less deer equals less ticks equal less lyme disease. That's not a fact, that's an opinion. The science doesn't prove what you say as a fact.

Why don't you go on the PETA website and present you deer kill agenda? Tell them that all the deer need to be killed to save us from lyme disease. Or how about you go to Staten Island with your good friend Tony D from WB and tell those politicians and the residents that all the deer on the island need to be kill just to save the masses from lyme disease and deer/car collisions. Or is it that you don't believe in your own agenda enough to stand behind your words and beliefs? You chose to hide behind a keyboard on a bow hunting site where you're opinions are not welcomed. That doesn't make sense in my opinion and apparently most guys on this site feel the same.

It's just too easy to poke holes your arguments, maybe that's why some chose to call you an a-hole because they can't believe a sensible person would conduct themselves the way you do on this site. Let me put it this way,.... you tick us off:)

22-Jan-17
Chas Catania from Howe, Cope & Catania, Inc, where in this thread did I mention either, aside from all the bobcat photos we have from Redding? Are these your "alternative facts?" Truthfully the insults grow tiresome, but entertaining just the same as their use really reflects a lack of intellectual creativity. And you went to Colby???

Bob. The topic of conversation was organizations that had controlled hunts for deer management purposes. I have that original thread saved somewhere. I've known Jody for years, been working up at GMF for 17 years, have done spotlight counts there, have been working with MDC, etc. I know there are not a lot of deer up there, and these guys are being proactive in having a deer management program before things got out of control. Most municipalities and agencies wait until things are out of control before doing anything about them. Look at the mess in FF County. Good grief.

"less deer equals less ticks equal less lyme disease". More "fake news" from BBB. The scientific literature says otherwise (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25118409).

Bob, i know it's easier for you make stuff up and put words in my mouth, but try thinking instead. I guess we are in the era of Trump where facts don't matter neither does proving falsehoods wrong with facts. Like inaugural attendance. It was the most attended inauguration ever in the history of the world!!!! The only reason it looked like the mall wasn't full was because they put protective coverings down on the grass.

22-Jan-17
Doc, lie on top of lie. Great Mountain Forest was NOT, repeat NOT conducting a controlled hunt. Pathological comes to mind.

22-Jan-17
He's a Liberal Bob, that explains so much. He knows that with Trump in charge, funds are drying up for counting bugs and other Studies of questionable usefulness. That has to be devastating for a guy with such limited skills. Maybe you can recommend him for a job at Stanley, there have to be bugs around there somewhere. Or maybe Tony can hire him, I'm sure that with a lot of training he could be a passable Deer Urologist.

22-Jan-17
Ace, for an educated (not the same as smart) man he sure fails to understand the simple truth. You're right about liberals, so just remember you'll be able to keep your doctor, I didn't have sexual relations, and I gave all the emails when subpoenaed. He's in that club.

22-Jan-17
More insults. Snore. Bob what is your definition of a controlled hunt? Mine is a coordinated effort to lethally manage deer using hunters. Is that not what happens at MDC, TNC, Aquarion, Town of Redding, GMF, etc? Ace, you went to a liberal college in Maine did you not? Have you nothing to add to the conversation that pertains to deer and deer management or is all you have left lame attempts to insult me?

22-Jan-17
Jody said no controlled hunt, continue your lies.

22-Jan-17
Jody said whoever said doesn't know what they're talking about.

22-Jan-17

22-Jan-17

22-Jan-17
buh. Which lie was it Bob? Did I lie about there being too many deer on GMF after having been working up there on and off for 17 years? Or did I lie about a controlled hunt? Surely you have proof where I said these things as everything is documented on this site? RIght? Or is this more "fake news" from the BBB and the "Ace" dynamic duo? You are "fake news"! "You're fired!" Clearly you guys are using "alternative facts" to support this campaign: aka, lies. Healthcare for EVERYONE!!!!!

22-Jan-17
Jody said they only took 7 deer all season. Doesn't sound like it's a controlled hunt

22-Jan-17
Jody said whoever said that doesn't know what he's talking about, so in my book = lies! LIES! LIES! LIES! LIES!

22-Jan-17
Jody said don't ask for permit, you'd be better off hunting on main st.

22-Jan-17
Did I mention the part where he said whoever said that DOESN'T KNOW WHAT HE'S TALKING ABOUT. That would be you Doc. I guess you didn't study TRUTH in your higher education courses. Too bad.

22-Jan-17
And couldn't possible put words in your mouth as you mentioned in earlier post, because there's no room in there with your foot in the way.

22-Jan-17
More insults. Buhhhhhh. A controlled hunt isn't dictated by how many deer are taken Bob. Look at the East River Preserve hunt here in Guilford. It was a controlled bowhunt, managed by the Town, and 6 or 7 deer were taken. Doesn't mean it wasn't a controlled hunt.

What is your definition of a controlled hunt? Mine, as stated earlier, is "a coordinated effort to lethally manage deer using hunters." Please share your definition with us. Please.

22-Jan-17
Yours covers all hunts. Not very smart Doc. No insults, just holding you to the truth.

22-Jan-17
So when you are up a tree, by yourself, in East Hartland, you are participating in a controlled hunt? We are still waiting for your definition...

22-Jan-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/ZMXYrQBwNK0

23-Jan-17
Doc - the state limits how many deer you can take, correct? = Controlled hunt. The state limits how many days you can hunt, correct? = Controlled hunt. The state limits the type of weapons you can use, correct? = Controlled hunt. The state allows baiting is some areas and not in others, correct? = Controlled hunt. All of these, and others, fit your definition and I quote "coordinated effort to lethally manage deer using hunters". Your words, not mine.

23-Jan-17
So, by your own accord/definition, you ARE controlled hunting up a tree in East Hartland by yourself. Then by your definition, why is what occurring on GMF NOT a controlled hunt? The state limits how many deer they can take. . . The state limits how many days they can hunt. . . It is an area the state does not allow baiting. . . So you are suggesting that all hunting in the state of CT is “controlled hunting”? Come on Bob. Now it is you who sounds like they don’t know what they are talking about.

23-Jan-17

Mike in CT's Link
"Jody said they only took 7 deer all season. Doesn't sound like it's a controlled hunt."

When take is referred to in terms of a "season" I would tend to agree that this doesn't sound like a controlled hunt.

GMF is a permit-required area but then so are many others that allow deer hunting during the season (e.g. Skiff Mountain) so I wouldn't equate the requirement of a permit with meeting the definition of a controlled hunt. FYI, there are permit-required areas for small game (e.g. pheasants) as well and as this is basically put-and-take hunting I don't think anyone would every classify this as a controlled hunt.

Controlled hunts (aside from having an objective of reducing overpopulation of deer) by contrast are generally restricted (or limited) in a number of ways that differ from "regular" hunting-some examples:

*Limited to a set number of days *May have restrictions on days of the week and can have restrictions as to hours of the day *May require hunting from treestands only *May specify no field dressing of deer taken *May restrict the use of weapons (e.g. archery only) *May be limited to state officials only (e.g. CT DEEP) *May require hunters to park in designated areas only f *May require permitted hunters to visibly display permits in their parked vehicles.

The use of controlled hunts has been encouraged in areas with an overabundance of deer as a proactive management approach for a number of years. Given the low population of deer in GMF with respect to what many biologists consider "healthy deer densities" for healthy forest ecologies (18-20dpsm) it doesn't sound as though there would be a need for a controlled hunt.

23-Jan-17
Doc - I'm typing slowing so you can comprehend what I'm typing, this isn't that hard. YOU gave the definition of a controlled hunt not me! I never provided a definition of a controlled hunt, did I??? Everything in the game book CONTROLS what we can harvest in the field, so if we apply YOUR definition "coordinated effort to lethally manage deer using hunters"; Isn't that statement true of ALL deer hunting in the state? I'm only reading what you wrote Doc.

My definition is this - "A controlled hunt is a hunt established in a designated area that is not/has not been open to hunting to the general public, and is used to reduce the deer herd to a specific number of deer. The number of hunters is limited and the number of deer taken is limited. Hunters must apply for a separate permit outside of the normal CT hunting license process to participate in a controlled hunt."

There you go, you see the difference? Mine is much more controlled than your, therefore the word "Controlled" is appropriate.

23-Jan-17
you guys bicker like a bunch of old women at the Senior center

23-Jan-17
I know, but I enjoy it so much. This is the boring time of the year for me, there's nothing in the woods I like hunting around now, so unless I'm out scouting or looking for sheds, I end up playing with Doc. And you're not too far off,.......I'm a senior:)

For the life of me I just don't understand why he keeps coming back?? But I think I'd miss him if he was gone?

23-Jan-17
No you wouldn't Bob , no one would .

23-Jan-17
I was just trying to be nice ;)7

23-Jan-17
"Crow, sorry if pointing out the obvious annoys you."

You were not pointing anything obvious.

This what you posted:

"Let's talk when bobcats kill as many humans as deer do instead of just scratching them". This was a bobcat post until you hijacked the thread. I think you are a smart man (but I've been wrong a lot) and you just like attention so you are just looking to piss off people here. It doesn't annoy me cuz I have a supper natural ability to deal with aholes. It just gets boring and repetitive. You keep spewing your crap on every post and you'll just lose all credibility.

I'm just sayin...

23-Jan-17
Crow - he was the 4th person to post on this thread and the first thing he brought up was what you quoted above. Then, get this, this is beautiful,......so mad dog plays along and asked him if he ever had a rabies shot and he says "I'm not sure where this is going but yes, I've been attacked by a dog and yes I've had rabies shots." Not sure where this is going???? It's going where you took it Doc. Yet another case where he turns the topic to his agenda and then plays dumb (trying to be nice and give him the benefit of the doubt here).

23-Jan-17
Crow. 4th post down from the top, Oneeye : “Big problems with bobcats. I know of trappers who refuse to trap in areas it's so bad. They eat 1/3 of deer fawns but don't worry. State has has outright stated their objective is to reduce herd. Gotta live with it.” Dr. Williams then responds “Let's talk when bobcats kill as many humans as deer do instead of just scratching them.” Sounds like I am participating in the thread, not hijacking it. Ace hijacked it when he spewed his bile all over the page and Bob followed suit. And thank you for the compliments, jousting with you guys entertains me and someone needs to explain wildlife management decisions to you guys so it may as well be me. Plus if you took some of what I have to say into account, hunters might not sink their own ship.

Mike, I would have to disagree with you. GMF is not a permit-required area like Skiff Mountain. GMF does not have a joint agreement with DEEP. The only permit required to hunt GMF is written landowner permission, just like any other private land. If you search for “Great Mountain Forest” in the DEEP hunting regs, you get nothing. But I would generally agree with you about your take on controlled hunt definition.

Bob. I am guessing you are not in contact with Jody (based on his take of your last correspondence with him) but I just heard from a colleague in the know that 14 deer were taken on GMF this year. I should shoot Jody a message and confirm that number. I am going to disagree with your definition. “A controlled hunt is a hunt established in a designated area that is not/has not been open to hunting to the general public.” No. Look on page 24 of the CT hunting regs. All of the controlled hunt areas mentioned are open to the public and have been hunted previously. “and is used to reduce the deer herd to a specific number of deer. The number of hunters is limited and the number of deer taken is limited. Hunters must apply for a separate permit outside of the normal CT hunting license process to participate in a controlled hunt.” Generally, I would agree with this, but it is not always the case. Mike’s definition was more accurate, the “control” isn’t about DEEP limiting take further.

So it is clear we are having trouble defining “controlled hunt” so I just got off the phone with a fellow certified wildlife biologist at DEEP’s Wildlife Division and asked him to define it. He said that it is tough because there is no written definition of it anywhere. But when I asked him to come up with his own definition, without prompting him, after some thought, said a controlled deer hunt is:

“A management tool used to reduce deer populations to a level that is compatible with the management regimes prescribed for the property.”

So given that definition straight from the horse’s mouth, GMF has a controlled hunt, as does MDC, Town of Redding, Town of Ridgefield, Town of Guilford, Town of whatever, Nature Conservancy, Aquarion Water Company, South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority, all of the agencies and municipalities I mentioned in that earlier post Bob loves to incorrectly refer to.

23-Jan-17
"Let's talk when bobcats kill as many humans as deer do instead of just scratching them"

I tottaly agree with your statement. Go sit in a corner and wait. Comeback to us when it happens.

23-Jan-17
Doc - Once again you post exactly where you turned the bobcat thread to the "kill all the deer thread" (4th or 5th post is not important here, but it was my error, I'm sorry) "Dr. Williams then responds "“Let's talk when bobcats kill as many humans as deer do instead of just scratching them.”" Can you see how you did that; or are things still too cloudy. Bobcats posts don't open the door to killing all the deer in the world so we have less ticks,.....at least not in the normal world the rest of us live in.

No, I haven't talked with Jody in a while since I like hunting where there are deer. GMF has 6,000 acres and all they took was 14 deer for the entire season with high powered rifles, bows, muzzle loaders, shotguns, or whatever!!! You think that's a good place to hunt?

And why are you quoting the DEEP handbook on controlled hunts??? That has zero to do with our discussion. You didn't ask me what the handbook said, you asked me for MY definition. I'm getting really tired of having to remind of things Doc, please take notes so you can keep up with the conversation.

And why do you think the biologists definition is any different than what you wrote? It still fits EVERY form of hunting in the state. We're limited by the tags were given, the days we can hunt, the length of the season, etc. If the state is not trying to get the herd to a certain population then why do they track the kill at all? Why do they limit us with less tags during one season, like the gun season and more tags during others? Aren't they limiting the take Doc to get the population to a certain level?! Why don't they let us kill those damn people killing deer all year long, or at least most of the year like coyotes. Deer kill more people than coyotes so why not have a season from early Jan to late Dec, just like coyotes? Because they want a certain population, so they control how many are killed. It's just that simple.

And you still never answered my previous challenge to you. If you're so damn convinced your approach to game management is correct, then why aren't you at Staten Island convincing the politicians that the deer need to be killed, not sterilized? Just tell us all, as the all knowing authority on the evil deer empire where you draw the line on helping the general public survive the ravages of the deadly deer. I guess it only applies when Tony gets big money and you get to count ticks. I guess you just know can't convince them, any more than you can convince us.

23-Jan-17

Bob. If you "haven't talked to Jody in a while", then when did he tell you "... they only took 7 deer all season"? And when did he say "... don't ask for permit, you'd be better off hunting on main st"?

And in my conversations with Jody, he mentioned that he never gave you permission to hunt GMF property, but that he gave you permission to cross GMF to get to your state land spot. So when in yesterday's post you stated "Let me refresh your memory concerning one LIE (to keep it simple) you were caught in" regarding some bogus fictitious claim of yours, it is in fact you who are lying when you stated today "However, when I contacted Jody Bronson at GMF ( a place I hunted for years)" because you never have hunted GMF property legally, ever.

So this is three lies regarding you and your relationship with GMF. Some might call that, pathological. What's funny is that in past posts, you mentioned that they gave you permission to cross GMF property and you encouraged others on this site to speak to property owners to cross their properties to get in the backdoor of state properties, remember??? Best to think Bob before barfing up lies on the keyboard and falsely accusing others of the same. I think it's safe to say that my relationship with GMF is real while yours is in some fantasy land.

24-Jan-17
You don’t want as many deer killed, and yet you want more days afield to kill fewer deer. Doc what's wrong with this ???

24-Jan-17
Doc - can tell you're confused, poor boy.

A while to me means the past several months. To be specific, if you in fact have that thread when we discussed GMF, I think it was last year, that's the last time I contacted Jody.

I'm sorry to say Jody is mistaken. Initially Bridgeport Hydraulic granted me permission to cross their property for several years and I would use the Peat Rd on the west side and a utility road on the east. Jody granted me permission to cross their property for several year, and that in my eyes constitutes a pretty good relationship. After several years of asking for hunting permission, and waiting for other hunters to drop off the list, I was granted permission to hunt the area west of the Peat Road for the last couple of years that I hunted that area.

I'm POSITIVE that if Jody were to take the time to look back through his records he would find this to be true, but I don't want to make this about Jody and GMF because I've always respected what they do there. I have no reason to lie about GMF because they were only brought into my discussions with you when you lied about GMF conducting a hunt to reduce an over population of deer in the area.

In this case Doc you just don't know what you're talking about. I won't call it a lie because your comments involve GMF, so get back with Jody and ask him to research his records. I'm SURE you'll come back to the site and post a correction to your mis-information.

And Steve - if you followed anything I've posted in the past you would KNOW that I supported Sunday hunting for private landowners and I also said I would never use Sunday as a day to hunt, because to me Sunday has a different meaning. And don't forget, we're all still limited by the number of tags the DEEP give each hunter and the DOC has said several times that we have too many deer and the DEEP is doing the right things, not the hunters on this site saying we need to let does walk and only take what we can eat. Nice try!

24-Jan-17

Hi Steve. I know. You’ll have to ask Ace. I was pointing out to him after all his complaining about how deer hunting in Redding (and statewide for that matter) has gone south, him railing against the CDC public health study, how less deer in fact = more Lyme, how DEEP deer surveys and biologists are a “joke” and all that. But at the same time he was posting that garbage here, he submitted signed testimony contradicting all that he writes about on this site saying that “in southwest Connecticut, the density of deer ranges between 40 and 100 deer per square mile.” And “Lowering the number of deer per square mile reduces the risk of Lyme Decease [sic]”. And “Deer/Car collisions, Lyme disease occurrence, and property damage are all increasing”. And for all these reasons, we have to be able to hunt on Sundays. So what these conflicting statements from him and others tell me is that public health concerns only matter when it benefits hunters and also they “. . . don’t want as many deer killed, and yet want more days afield to kill fewer deer.” Confusing, I know.

Bob it is pretty clear to all that it is you who are confused. I know when you emailed him, February 13, 2016. I save all these threads so I can refer back to them. Oh and I see here you asked him if he ever hired a sharpshooter. Oh and I see in the same thread no one said anything about sharpshooting, ever, except you for some reason. Again, if the last time you communicated with him was 346 days ago, how on earth did he tell you about this year “Jody said they only took 7 deer all season.”? And how did he tell you about me “Jody said don't ask for permit, you'd be better off hunting on main st.” Pathological comes to mind or maybe you are having conversations with him in your own head? So in the attached image, where you are directly calling me a liar about something I never said anyway, it is in fact you who are lying about talking to a friend of mine I woodcock hunt with annually and correspond with periodically. Why would you do that? It’s just weird, but it does help to verify the bogosity of the other random outbursts you have had in the past. It’s kind of like lying about attendance at an inauguration, if you have eyes in your head it is so easily proven false. In this case, you just told us in your last post “. . . I think it was last year, that's the last time I contacted Jody.” I have your original email to him from Feb 13th 2016 asking him your nonsense and hinting at permission to bow hunt GMF too if you want to see it.

I said they were seeking low deer densities through a coordinated or “controlled hunt” for forest regeneration as they are a working forest. Then you said something to the effect that “GMF would NEVER EVER EVER EVER hunt to reduce the deer population.” That is just genius Bob. How the heck do those guys hunt deer without reducing the deer population?? We better figure this out and institute the same program in Zone 11 and quick!

24-Jan-17
Doc - POST THE THREAD IN IT'S ENTIRETY, I DARE YOU.

You save all the threads??!!! Really??!! Why? Is it because you feel the need to document what you say so you can spin your last reply (lie) to fit the current situation in hand? You know, spin control. A phrase used often when it comes to you. Or is it because you have nothing better to do with your time? If you tell the truth there's no reason to document past comments now, is there?

Man do you ramble. How did you get to the attendance at the Trump inauguration? Then again, you took the bobcat thread and turned it into killer deer killing all of mankind,....save the children and forget about bocats! Man, it was just a thread about a bobcat in the news. Your mind works in a Funny way Doc!

Yes, it was last Feb and that's a while ago in my book, so what's your point? I never said it was Nov 13, 2016 at 5:03 PM, did I? And it was last Feb is when Jody said "You don't what you're talking about". Jody wasn't talking about YOU Doc, what he said was "Whoever said we have too many deer here doesn't know what they're talking about (liar, or maybe stupid), but you already knew that was you, didn't you. You'll find that in the thread as well, but you won't copy and paste that part, will you!! And it was last Feb when Jody told me they had only taken 7 deer for the season, so that would be the 2015-2016 season (there's more than one season Doc), but you won't post that part either, right? And YES I asked him if he ever considered using sharpshooters since you were the one who said this was one of the areas that had too many deer. Post that as well, I said it then and I say it again. No lie there.

So let me summarize so there's no confusion in your mind. It was last Feb when I asked Jody about everything mentioned above and he said (1) there's no deer on the plateau (2) whoever said that doesn't know what they're talking about (that's you) (3) don't ask for a permit because there's no deer (4) the current crew only took 7 deer for the season (5) and there were 10 million people at the Trump inauguration. OK, he didn't say #5, that's just me having some fun. I'm SURE you'll say I was lying about that one at some point in the future :)

So Doc - this is getting old. You continue to struggle for some kind of credibility and all do you is lie about your lies, but it's understandable when you tell soooo many. I know there's no ticks out this time of year to count and I know you really enjoy playing with me, your only friend, but I'm taking my ball and going home now. Bye.

24-Jan-17
... honey please bring some more popcorn and a beer as the action is heating up. Thanks, you are a doll.

24-Jan-17

notme's Link

24-Jan-17

notme's Link

24-Jan-17

notme's Link

24-Jan-17
That's more hardcore than I've ever seen. Damn. And poor Bob had this thread buried like 12 threads deep!!!!

24-Jan-17
Rock on

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
Eh,it breaks up the thread...lol...id like to see if these tweenie bopper no talent hip hop aholes can keep up this level of energy for 2-3hrs...god I miss the pit!!!!

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
Local Bridgeport band

25-Jan-17
notme - what you doing hijacking the thread for rock bands buddy? Here's my favorite, enjoy. This guy really knows how to rock a beat!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9c0wOX5dMc

25-Jan-17

bb's Link
This thread is disturbing me.

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
Sure nuf..da man..still kicking it..i was comped tix from the Indians when I played in the big boy room,gave them to my parents for an anniversary gift...sadly they both passed away before going,would be been cool

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
I see your silence and raise you sweat dreams

25-Jan-17
I was playing fly me to the moon one night in the hot tub a few weeks ago during the full moon phase, watching come up through the trees and it was absolutely surreal. Or maybe it was the wine? Either way, sweet.

25-Jan-17

bb's Link
I fold, no way to beat that one.

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
Pretty cool ,but every mountain king needs a few girls

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
Or possibly a queen...triple b,ewwwww...lol

25-Jan-17
After that, It kind of makes me want to start another Redding or Staten Island thread.

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
How about Staten island metal band

25-Jan-17

bb's Link
That's way too sophisticated for me.

This is more my speed

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
Can't go jambalaya without mentioning the delta

25-Jan-17
Oh man, I saw Muddy Waters at an outdoor Blues Fest in RI in 1975. Awesome. Paul Butterfield was there, James cotton, James Montgomery, Taj Mahal and a bunch of others that I can't remember.

25-Jan-17
You two should probably get a room.

25-Jan-17

notme's Link
Lmfao..ya,probably beat this to death..lol

25-Jan-17
Nah, I think we should just get back to calling each other liars.

25-Jan-17

25-Jan-17
Saw pretty much the same line up same yr at bpt jai ali ..probably bb king,Johnny winter,buddy guy

25-Jan-17
Yeah, now that you mention it some of it's coming back to me, it was a 3 day event, a couple of the days got pretty fuzzy.

25-Jan-17
It couldn't have been the cloud...lol..id love to go to Claptons festival chicago..that looks kick ass

And now back to our regulary scheduled winter program of counting ticks on a flees ass and the detriment they pose to humanity during the summer months when it's warm as opposed to the winter when it's cold..and dark...and disturbingly dismal......

25-Jan-17

BigHurt's embedded Photo
BigHurt's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear