crestedbutte 29-Jan-17
turkulese 05-Feb-17
Packrat 13-Feb-17
crestedbutte 13-Feb-17
turkulese 13-Feb-17
Natureboy 27-Feb-17
AaronShort 28-Feb-17
18-Jan-17
Has anyone tried this process for deer skulls?

Basically just put the skull in water that stays between 75-90 degrees with the help of a fish water tank heater. Bacteria will break down the meat off the bone. It can take up to 14 days and stinks like crazy already, but I won't have to babysit a boiling pot or burn propane.

I'm giving it a shot and wondering if anyone else has tried it before.

19-Jan-17
I have found that boiling them you do not want the water too hot, just a rolling boil and doesn't take too long.

19-Jan-17
I tried beetles this past fall. While researching, I came across maceration. Very stinky and takes longer, but no upkeep in the off season. I wrote about my experience on the IN state site. Do the teeth fall out with maceration? I think you get a nicer product with maceration, but more time and stink than boiling. Good luck. Pictures?

19-Jan-17
Boil, degreaser, pressure washer! Haven't tried anything else

19-Jan-17
Yes... fun stuff lol

19-Jan-17
I've done a couple this way Ray, Pronghorn and WT. Yes it stinks but it's as easy as a corn pile ;)

I've got one soaking now, let's share pics of the procession.

19-Jan-17
You've got what soaking Kyle?

I thought your goatalope was already done? (You did tag a pronghorn this year, right?)

19-Jan-17
Yes Mike, and my brother and I found a dead buck...remember the text I sent you pal? I have the salvage tag if you'd like to see it :)

20-Jan-17
It works great but definitely stinks to high heaven!

20-Jan-17
Stroots in Mulvane does them with pressure washer for 50.00 then you can whiten yourself,couple day turn around

20-Jan-17
Mine have been in for a few days now. Checked on the pot again after work.... "easy as a corn pile"? The smell would "gag a dog of a gut wagon" as my grandpa would say: ) I do think this is going to be a fairly easy process once I get the kinks worked out. Just put the heads in water and keep the temp above 70 degrees if I'm understanding correctly.

For some reason, I'm having a hard time getting the temp up to 70 degrees even with a fish tank heater and with the day time temp hitting almost 60 today. I'm using 2 mineral tubs as the pots... one smaller than the other. I've got enough room between the two pots to put some blankets to help insulate. I also cover them with a heavy tarp. I'm not sure why I can't get the temp up past 63 unless I received a faulty heater, but it seems to be working as it's hot to the touch. My temp gauge may be giving me a false reading. I think I may put a small space heater next to the pots to help out.

Both of the heads I'm trying are "dead heads". They were harvested a couple years back and I'm just now getting to them... they've been hanging in a tree for a long while so the skin and meat is like leather. If what I read is correct, dead heads will clean off much faster than fresh kills... hope this is right.

One of the benefits of maceration over boiling is the bone won't become brittle as it does when you boil.

I do think it's beginning to work as I'm seeing some of the flesh lifting off the bone and there's chunks of stuff floating.

Since you brought it up Kyle could you put your own tag on it if you didn't harvest a buck this year? I know a local game warden that said that was fine for a neighbor who put his wife's tag on a dead buck they found, or so I was told.

20-Jan-17
Yes I could have Ray, but I found the buck long before end of season and requested the salvage tag. I don't worry about the temp of the water...it will work either way, just takes longer.

1st pic is how we found him: Nov 25th

2nd pic after freezing up in the pot: Dec 11th

I'll take another pic tomorrow and show the "progress".

20-Jan-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo

20-Jan-17
That's a cool buck... do you know what killed him? Do you know about how long it will take to have the head cleaned with your method? Glad to know the temp doesn't matter. I will try and take some pics of my set up tomorrow.

I've "read" that if you can keep the temp above 70 that it will take somewhere around 14 days total.... going to work hard tomorrow to get that temp up.

20-Jan-17
He had no visible external wounds, dirt road within 200yds so we thought he may have been hit. I did not skin out the head, it will take longer, and with the fluxuation in temps there's no telling how long...but I'm in no hurry ;?)

21-Jan-17
I got the temp up to mid 70's today with the use of a space heater. I think the smell factor went up 10% today! I'll try and post some pics tomorrow of how I have this set up.... I've got several ideas running through my head on how to improve this in the future.

I know it seems like a lot of work (why not just boil?!), but if I can get all this worked out I think it will be easy from this point forward. I've got a couple more from years past I need to do and I have a buddy that needs to do 3 and I think I can do up to 4 at one time with the set up I have now.

I have an old chest freezer that I might use in the future to house the pots and heaters as another insulator from the cold during the winter months.

I received my Volume 40 and Basic White in the mail today for the bleaching process.

22-Jan-17

turkulese's MOBILE embedded Photo

Buck #1 - Been in for one week today. Most of the hair has fallen off and the skin is getting very loose

22-Jan-17

Buck #2 - putting this one in today. It's been in a tree for almost 2 years... I don't think this one will take that long. This will bring my total up to 3 heads... I think I could fit 4 in the pot.

22-Jan-17

Obviously the temp gauge. I'd like to keep it at this temperature if I can... even through the night.

22-Jan-17

Fish tank heater... ordered mine off Amazon, but I think Wal-Mart carries something similar.

22-Jan-17

This is a pic of the gap between the two mineral tubs... almost 2 inch gap between the tubs all the way around. I removed the blankets I had for insulation because I think the warm air from the space heater can work its way around the tub better. I may end up cutting a hole in the outside tub, in front of the space heater, to allow the air to better circulate around the inner tub, but for now it seems to be working fine.

22-Jan-17

You can see the "soup" here....

22-Jan-17

I was having a hard time keeping the temp above 70 with the tank heater alone. I decided to put a space heater close to the pots and covered the pots with a tarp with one end open to capture the heat as it rises.... I used some farm junk to weigh down the tarp. Seems to be working great!

If this whole process works I am going to use an old freezer, with pots inside, instead of a tarp to keep the temp consistent during the winter months.

As stated earlier, I received my Basic White and Volume 40 in the mail yesterday... I will make a paste with these products and apply it to the skulls for 24 hours... I've done this in the past when I boiled heads and had excellent results (I believe comparable to what I've received from an experienced taxidermist). I'm hoping that by next weekend I will be ready to bleach the skulls, but I'm having some doubts after looking at the heads today. I did have trouble getting the water above 70 this week so that may be a big part of the problem. If that's the case I should see some significant progress this week, since the temp seems to be holding well above 70.

22-Jan-17
Not sure why all the photos are 90 degrees off. I can't fix them right now for some reason, but hopefully you get the jist of what I'm doing here.

22-Jan-17

22-Jan-17
I wired a small set to a tree one winter and let the mice and other critters clean it up for me. They can really get into the close places. Took nearly 3 months but I wasn't in any hurry.

26-Jan-17
It's the only way I do skulls now days. I skin them out, run a cut clothes hanger wire in the skull to work out the brain matter. Whip it like your making scrambled eggs. Then I throw them in the freezer until summer. In the summer heat they are done in a week. Then I soak them in peroxide. Super easy and the best quality cleanup job you can find. Better than beetles even.

28-Jan-17
I did it a few years ago. It was horribly stinky and took longer than expected.

Go see Matt at Stroots in Mulvane. He'll boil it clean for $50 or $75.

Soak it in peroxide for a day and put it in the sun and it'll be whiter than white.

Skulls Unlimited in Oklahoma uses Beatles and their work looks good from what I've seen from a buddy's deer. Not sure of price.

29-Jan-17

turkulese's embedded Photo
I've been having a hard time getting the temperature above 70... during the day its not been a problem, however, at night it drops below 70 a couple degrees. I decided to try my original thought of cutting a hole in the side of the outside mineral tub to allow the space heater to heat around the inner tub.

I found an older mineral tub, cut a hole in the side of it, and placed the small tub inside (Pic #1). To my surprise the inner tub did not fit all the way inside the outer tub, but I believe that is a good thing. It's kind of suspended in air which I think will better allow the heat to circulate around the tub and since it's sealed pretty tight that should help keep the heat in as well (Pic#2). I just simply placed another mineral tub over the top of the racks (Pic #3).

Side note: Since someone asked earlier, I have not seen any indication that the teeth are going to fall out.

I just went and checked it a few minutes ago and it's already up over 80 degrees so I'm hoping to see some major changes this week.

I did see quite a bit of change in the heads this past week as the meat was slimy and a lot of it was sliding off the bone on one of the heads. The one with all the hide left on it is better than last week, but still a long ways to go.

I realize this would be easier in the summer and I'm sure over time the heads will clean just fine over time, but I want to see if this whole process can really take 14 days if you keep the temps between 70 and 90 degrees. Yes, I could pay someone to do this for less than $100, but I'd just rather do the heads myself and save a few bucks... I know I can do it just as good as a professional with patience (so can anyone). Heck, I build my own tree stands and blinds too... got too much money wrapped up in this sport to pay someone else to do it for me and like most things I can do it myself for less than half the cost (You can too!).

29-Jan-17

29-Jan-17

crestedbutte's embedded Photo
X2 for Matt @ Stroots Mulvane $50. Worth it to pin the time and mess on him.

So far he has done 2 KS Whitey's, 1 High Country CO Miley and 1 KS Pronghorn. No complaints.

My buck from early Nov. 2016 pictured.

05-Feb-17

Definitely pleased with the progress this week... I actually couldn't believe it when I pulled it out of the water. I've been able to keep the temperature above 78 degrees the past week and I saw a HUGE difference. The water level has gone down dramatically in the tubs as well. I believe with a pressure washer a guy could have this cleaned off less than 5 minutes, but I'm going to leave it in a couple more days to see if it will get everything off.

What I am most impressed with is the fact that all of the meat on the backside of the skull has completely fallen off or is loose from the skull.... to me that has always been the hardest part when boiling. I'll usually have to spend 30 minutes with a pick cleaning the meat off the back no matter how long I boil it.

I'll try and get it cleaned off this week, whiten it, and show the final result of this project. Final thoughts on the whole process.... temperature is key, it stinks, and you have to be patient. However, it beats babysitting a pot of boiling water. I might tweak it a little, but I will definitely be doing this again in the future.

13-Feb-17
I'd rather babysit.

13-Feb-17

I wonder how long it took to Macerate this dude?

13-Feb-17
Final thoughts on this... the smell is a factor in determining if you want to do this. The process stinks bad enough that I probably wouldn't do this for a head I want to keep inside the house. The heads I have been doing this to have been unceremoniously nailed to the sidewalls of my shed, I've decided to not even bleach these. I walked by them this past weekend... it's been a week since they've been removed and they still smell horrible.

I will do this again because it is so easy, but again, only for those heads that will be nailed to the barn wall. I might have to find a new residence otherwise; )

27-Feb-17
Changing the water every couple of days helps....both with smell during and maybe after........a little dish soap along the way helps. It does stink......I could smell the rotten out in the street. I kept waiting for the police to show up looking for the body.......

28-Feb-17

AaronShort's embedded Photo
Hard to do....button buck. My daughters first deer
AaronShort's embedded Photo
Hard to do....button buck. My daughters first deer
Send them to me as soon as you kill them. I can return them in a couple weeks finished without the "dead body in the attic smell". Sometimes its easier to pay someone to do it right

• Sitka Gear