bowhawk75 19-Jan-17
buc i 313 23-Jan-17
hillbilly 16-Feb-17
Linecutter 03-Mar-17
corvettebob 04-Mar-17
Old Reb 18-Mar-17
elk yinzer 23-Mar-17
19-Jan-17
Would you rather shoot a doe (s) or a small buck "basket 6 pt or less" in order for you to be successful with your yearly hunt ? (first timer's excluded)

OR

Do you allow the doe (s) and small bucks to pass in the belief this will improve the deer herd on / in your hunting area ?

OR

Does having an unfilled tag (s) bother you to much to leave it unfilled ?

19-Jan-17
I will shoot a doe unless it's a doe with fawn and I pass on small bucks. in-filled tags are part of the game so no problem. There's always next year/season.

19-Jan-17
It depends upon the management objectives of the property owner. Properties with too many deer require increasing doe kill to appease the owner and, perhaps, neighboring farmers. Any doe at any time will do.

Some owners, like myself, have indicated that adult doe harvest should at least equal the antlered harvest at season's end. I have no 'minimum' antler criteria, but most of the hunters on my property are passing young bucks. Some younger hunters are still trying to kill their first deer with a bow and, therefore, have no restrictions.

Properties with "way too many" deer (in the eye of the landowner) have required doe kill to be some multiple -- 2, or more -- of antlered harvest. Hunters failing to meet the landowner's objective may find themselves having to find another place to hunt!

Unfilled tags have never bothered me, as the time in the woods is always rewarding (wildlife observation, relaxation, excitement of 'close encounters'). Besides, when all my tags are filled my wife says I am done hunting! Tom

19-Jan-17
I do not have to kill a deer to feel that my season was a success, just being alive and being able to hunt is enough for me. I do like to shoot does, especially the younger (1 1/2 year olds) and leave the older, lead does alone. I do not shoot any small or young bucks, that's just me. I have a certain size in my head, and when a buck is in my shooting range, something inside me says take him or not. Alot of years I don't shoot a buck, and I'm OK with that.

23-Jan-17
Nice to see / read the opinion's of 3 apparently well seasoned hunter's who have the same general thoughts regarding the taking of Doe's, and the passing of shots on small Bucks.

DozRdeer2, You bring up an interesting dilemma for someone hunting private land. The necessity to harvest Doe's, to insure hunting privileges. I would think any hunter given this option would take Doe's, where they might otherwise not do so.

I am not against the taking taking of Doe's, or small Buck's, for any hunter. After all it is their choice.

Personally I am just very selective on when and if I think it is warranted to take a Doe, and never on a small Buck. "Tag Soup" has never been an issue for me.

I love being in the woods with all of the thrilling elements of nature on display. Love to see and observe all wildlife.

Especially "Big Bucks" :^}

16-Feb-17
Unfilled tags don't bother me but at the same time I have little interest in antlers. I'm happy with whatever I shoot. I think hunting society, outdoor writers, outdoor shows, and wildlife agencies have put way to much emphasis on "big bucks" My personal rule is to shoot the first buck (any size) or doe without fawns that presents an opportunity.

03-Mar-17
I have only hunted on public property, the shot I get, is the shot I take. DANNY

04-Mar-17
I moved to adams co. last year from central farm country n.y. up there you shot the first buck that might come by cause you might not get another shot all season. mature bucks were far and few. I always wanted to hunt mature bucks in ohio so here I am! didn't have any shots on a mature buck but passed on a couple 125" younger bucks. I did see a slammer go by apx. 100yds but couldn't call him near me cause the leaves were noisy. if a mature doe without yearlings come by I will take her for the freezer and continue to hunt for a mature buck. I didn't get one this year but that fine with me. one problem I had was once gun season started my sightings went to zero and I only got a few night time pics. nothing changed the rest of the deer season plus they never touched my big nd beasty plot but ate the winter wheat next to it! any helpful ideas would be appreciated!

18-Mar-17
If I want venison I will shoot a doe and pass on 1.5 yr old bucks. 2.5 yr old bucks are my minimum standard but he has to make me happy in order to harvest him. Truly mature bucks are a rarity where I get to hang my stands so I wait for a buck that will put a smile on my face at the end of his blood trail. I hunt for me and no one else.

23-Mar-17
We eat two deer a year. Haven't bought beef since I can't remember when and don't intend to anytime soon.

My trips to Ohio I am looking for a good buck even though on public. Not defined by inches or age, just one I am happy with when I see him. I'm 0 for 4 in your state and passed up some 100 inchers that my trigger finger was mighty itchy on.

Back home here, first slam dunk shot at a doe on a cold day, done deal. I hate stressing over meat care when it's warm out. Usually get a buck for my second deer but on the years I don't I break out the 270 after Thanksgiving for a second doe for the freezer. Won't eat a third so I don't shoot more than 2/year.

• Sitka Gear