sundaynwv 03-Feb-17
JayD 03-Feb-17
sundaynwv 03-Feb-17
Babysaph 03-Feb-17
JayD 03-Feb-17
Babysaph 04-Feb-17
JayD 04-Feb-17
22-Jan-17
Why can WV not extend bow season like some neighboring states, particularly Ohio? We certainly have the deer to be killed and it could contribute more to the economy. I for one would like to see the season go until the 2nd or 3rd weekend of January.

22-Jan-17
I hunt Ohio a lot, but as for the really late season, there's 2 good reasons to not hunt then. 1, alot of bucks have shed by then, resulting in some being shot for does. 2, I shot 2 does in Jan. 16, 30&31st that had well developed fawns in them. I knew that could happen, but I didn't feel very good about when it happened, so much I ate an unused doe tag after Christmas.That's just my feelings on it, If I had still had a buck tag, that's different . Bob

23-Jan-17
After the gun onslaught from Nov to the end of Dec, they need a break. And as mentioned above, a lot of bucks have already started shedding by then.

The season come in last part of Sept and runs thru Dec 31, that plenty of time to kill 1 or 2....or 5..LOL

27-Jan-17
I like the idea of extending the season into the middle of January for antlerless & archery only. I think bowhunters, being an up-close, sport can determine if a buck has already shed antlers or if it is a button buck and pass on those deer. Many parts of the state aren't meeting antlerless objectives and even in parts where numbers may be low I don't think 2 additional weeks is going to be any kind of threat to the resource. It would provide additional recreation hours and help sell licenses earlier in the year.

27-Jan-17
I like the idea of extending the season as well. Like Little bear said it is up close for bow hunting so you should be able to tell what you are shooting at. Couple of other pro's for it: a lot of people wait until hunting season comes in in the Fall of the year to get their license - so extending the season into January could possibly get money to the DNR 8 or 9 months sooner. And it might keep me from putting on this extra winter weight because once the season ends I lay around like a big ole couch potato! At one time there was also talk of bringing a winter turkey season in during January - I think that would be interesting as well.

27-Jan-17
One and done. Lol

27-Jan-17
I saw a crossbow that had a scope on it with 100 yard spots . At that range it may not be so easy to see exactly what kind of deer is being shot at. I see people taking real long shots and i see deer being wounded in the process. After a buck loses its antlers its an antlerless deer

27-Jan-17
I saw that crossbow ad. I guess you can't police ethics very well but the "bowhunters" I know wouldn't be shooting irresponsibly like that. I don't know how many bucks shed that early either, only talking about 2 weeks. I know it happens but I've seen bucks carrying antlers even into March.

27-Jan-17
My freezer is usually full by years end. Plus i like to hunt rabbits

27-Jan-17
Extending the bow season? My goodness, Ed, you have a lot of grit. Talking about extending the season—on an open forum, no less. You better grab hold of something. It’s hard to tell what will be coming your way.

28-Jan-17
Yea Ed, did you put a heater on the porch you hunt off ? I'm sure you still have your aluminum siding camp !!!

28-Jan-17
Dang smart phone lol,aluminum siding camo

28-Jan-17
I could use something made in "brick red" now. See loads of deer in my yard nearly every day.

28-Jan-17
September 1 to January 31. 1 buck one doe.

28-Jan-17
Maybe an extended season with absolutely, no baiting.

29-Jan-17
Guess the thread I started was not too crazy!? I live in a bow-only county and this year another two weeks would have been appreciated. It would also spur some early-year license purchases rather than waiting until spring gobbler, etc. My thoughts were for extending the bow season only. And also possibly making it buck only to not kill does who are pregnant with fawns . Just a thought.

30-Jan-17
so let me ask...why extend it? We have over 3 months of bow hunting, as soon as they extended it, gun hunters and muzzle loaders would want in......I say leave it alone and give the deer a break.

31-Jan-17
Why because I would like the opportunity to hunt more. So under that theory should we give Sunday hunting up because the deer need a break? I think most hunters are 2 or 3 season hunters anyhow so I don't think there would be that big of stink raised by gun hunters. Heck make the early bow season and a late season separate seasons from the normal timing of bow season and give hunters the choice between the two - I for one would give up the early season in a heart beat!

31-Jan-17
I agree with Big-Otis-Jeff, and I wouldn't give up the early for the late ! Does have been bred for more than 2 months already. I know some guys work 6-7 days a week, and I truly feel for them , but Most guys don't take advantage of the days we do have, give them another month and they are still in the house ! Or dreaming on the couch about the big buck they're gonna kill next year !

31-Jan-17
Most guys would rather fletch arrows, shoot some in the back yard or talk about bow hunting, than actually going out in the rain, mud and snow and sitting in a tree ! Same way with trapping, I trapped through 2-3 weeks of rain and mud and most guys are sitting home Wishing for perfect weather, so they can get out and trap, lol God bless, Ron

31-Jan-17
Understand your thinking Ron and glad you like early season hunting - I hate it and would love a late season. I literally witnessed someone shoot a doe in the early season and watched her two fawns come back and nurse from her as she laid dead. With the number of coyotes running around something tells me those fawns had a tough time of it. Several days later had a dead fawn at the beginning of our driveway. Cannot tell you it was one of those fawns or not but we all have some sort of reason or emotion for the way we think. My main reasons are: hate hunting in the heat, better chance of hunting in snow in January, and I could pretty much hunt everyday in January where as September and October keep me pretty busy. And if swatting at bugs and wiping sweat away is your thing - then more power to ya - LOL just not my cup of tea.

31-Jan-17
I like the early season better too. I am done by Dec. 31. Two dead deer are two dead deer. The fawns on the hoof have a better chance of making it than the dead ones that havnt been born if the mom gets killed. I agree with Ron and others that the gun hunters and Mz hunters will want their share too. I don't mind the heat. You havn't seen heat until you sit in a blind in Africa and the wax runs down the string of your bow because it is melting. LOL. Give the deer a break. I know I am getting soft in my old age. And lots of hunter like Ron says wouldn't hunt because it is too cold. Can't please everyone. Having said that I don't shoot deer with fawns. Thats when I kill my trophy spikes in October.

31-Jan-17
I think 3 months is plenty. If i cant take what i need in that time then it is tag soup. Bucks dont move much in winter unless it is to feed. And i fill my doe tag in Oct. As 64 year old it hard enough to sit in stand in Nov and DEC. LOL

31-Jan-17
LOL too cold to hunt whoever heard of such a thing! Now being too warm to hunt is reality!! LOL

31-Jan-17
How old are you Jay d ever had any health problems. Shouldnt make jokes until you have walked in another mans shoes. Let me know how cold effects you after heart problems and blood thinners.

31-Jan-17
Hoppies - talking to the wrong guy here - been hit by two drunk drivers, had to have knee reconstructed a long time ago back when I was in college because of the first drunk. Messed my shoulder and neck up in second accident. About 10 years ago started having issues with my heart and afib. Had an ablation done for it but was on blood thinners as well got in a little bit better shape and I am down to just aspirin now. I am 54 and some days feel ancient because of injuries and my health but I keep working at and moving along. I was teasing in previous post but some of you like warm weather that's fine and I have not suggested that they ended early season- I am not hunting in warm weather - I spend almost everyday outside and sweat my butt off with work. I would like the opportunity to hunt in colder weather - like I choose not to hunt when it's warm you would have the opportunity to choose not to hunt when it was cold as well!

31-Jan-17
You think you feel ancient now wait ten more years, it happens to everyone some take better than others i am not a fan of hot weather hunting I just give thanks that i can hunt period. Guess i dont see the need to extend deer season in any shape or form . but i am also for a 1 buck limit. I just cant see asking dnr to reduce buck tags and then extend the season in same breath.

31-Jan-17
I am beginning to believe us hunters are never satisfied. We wanted an early season and several years ago it started coming in early. Now we want a late season. How bout this. Lets hunt from Sept 1 to Feb 28. But only one buck and one doe during the bow season. I would be all for that. I would just kill my does to eat with my bow during the rifle seasons.

31-Jan-17

31-Jan-17
J. R., I agree with you 100 percent, people are never happy, we want more and bigger ! I don't shoot big does that have fawns, if I'm hankering for some fresh deer I shoot one of the fawns. I also shoot my does with bow n arrow during the early doe seasons, They taste way better early than late, yes they do, way better ! There's nothing like fresh, early season deer meat, it's way better, dang I said it again.

I'm usually in the woods every day from early September til the end of February, I hunt hot I hunt cold, yes, I even hunt and trap in the rain-as I said earlier, there is plenty of opportunity for days afield to bowhunt deer, more than 90 days, that seems to me to be aplenty, just my thinking,

Ron

31-Jan-17
So what is wrong with wanting more? It's not that I am not happy - the post ask what is wrong with extending the season. I really don't see a problem with it - it is not going to affect those of you who like to hunt in the early season. September and October are busy months for me and January is pretty slow - so why wouldn't I like for the season to last a little longer? Sorry if that makes me a game hog - I am pretty selective with the deer I want to kill. Can't tell you the last time I shot a spike or had to knock a little one off its mother's teat and shoot it with milk running down its mouth. Hopps- I have been trying to prepare for getting older with all my aches and pains now. Accidents and football were hard on me but I really do try to stay active even if I do feel bad. The more active I am the better I feel most days. As for the one buck limit and one doe limit. I am fine for it as long as it goes nation wide. Once you kill your one doe and one buck then you are finish hunting deer anywhere until the next year. Wanting a one buck limit here but then going to another state to hunt for additional deer sort of seems like an elitist attitude to me.

31-Jan-17
Got to slow Down JayD in sept and October. Life is short

31-Jan-17
Got to slow Down JayD in sept and October. Life is short

31-Jan-17
I don't cross state lines for deer meat trust me. Game laws are state by state. I can kill my does to eat with my bow during the gun seasons. I was just saying for the early and late bow seasons just allow 1 buck and 1 doe. I don't hunt horns in WV. Just not very many huge bucks where i hunt. I figured it out and there is no good way to kill a doe where you are not affecting the lil ones. Kill one in September or Oct and you kill the fawns mom. Kill one in November or later and you kill the doe and 2 lil ones. Can't win. Unless you kill the lil bucks like I do. Preserves the deer.

01-Feb-17
J. R., I agree, killing small bucks good eating and it saves my precious does and yearlings. As I said earlier, I have more bucks than does.

Jay D, You are right, you hunting in the late season doesnt affect me. I personally dont hunt after the rifle season is over, I have my deer, and Im tired of putting up meat. Myself, I wouldnt trade my late season trapping for another 2-3 deer. I hunt every day of archery season as long as I have tags, I mean really, with the tags and then substituting bow for a gun, how many deer is that ? I butcher my own deer, so Im ready to go and Kill some coyotes !

God bless you guys,

Ron

01-Feb-17
I get tired of cutting up meat too. I spend January eating it. Lol

01-Feb-17
J.R., If I shot as good as you , Id get tired of cutting it up too ! lol

God bless you

02-Feb-17
I don't understand the elitist idea? If I kill a buck in WV then drive 1 hr to kill a buck in OH or KY how is that elitist?

02-Feb-17
You should know. It is because you are a rich Dr and you shouldn't be able to work hard and do what you want with your money. If other people can't do it why should you be able to do it. Come on. Get with the program. LOL.

02-Feb-17
LOL, you're right again!

I have no problem shooting does early as long as they don't have spotted fawns with them. Biologically, there is no reason not too and several biological reasons that indicate it's the right thing to do.

I don't like January seasons . Deer have been hammered for 3 months already. Not all bowhunters are seasoned hunters and more than enough button bucks get hammered during the late seasons anyway . I see no reason to add to it.

02-Feb-17
JR - it has nothing to do about being rich. I for one am happy for those who work hard and succeed in life - I wish everyone had the attitude to work hard and get ahead.

The elitist part is saying that we have to put limits of 1 buck and one doe on everyone else so that one's chances to kill a bigger (oh wait a healthier buck don't want to offend anyone) WV buck but as soon as I get mine I am off to Kentucky or where ever. Lets face it - WV has quite a few people who are not like You or Gobbler or myself and go to other states to hunt - because they simply cannot afford to do so. And if you really think that a 1 buck limit and 1 doe limit is going to help the herd here then you are mistaken - we will see an explosion in the population except for areas in our public land where the timber is more than mature and nothing will help until a better land and timber management program is put in place! I love it when someone else gets a little offended and I get to see the touchy side come out in them! ROFL Believe me - JR and Gobbler I am more than happy for the both of you that you have done so well! Again adding 2 more weeks on to the season would not hurt either one of you or our deer herd. As to the too many bucks or button bucks would be shot - well heck Gobbler - JR and Ron already said they wouldn't hunt in January so that takes that problem out of the equation! ROFL

02-Feb-17
I just think we kill too many deer anyway.

02-Feb-17
JR - when I was younger I use to hunt Sleepy Creek almost everyday of the season. I hated for gun season to come in and couldn't wait for it to end. Once all the gun seasons ended - weather was a little colder - I was pretty much the only person hunting and I saw deer like crazy! And I would see them at al times of the day - it was great. Now - heck gun season never goes out it seems like and now with the early gun doe season in Late October once it starts - I very rarely see deer thru out the day. I see deer just before dusk or right around dawn and once the sun comes up they are bedded down. I am just thinking that maybe with a few extra weeks in January with no freaking gun seasons - just maybe things could get back that way. Here around the house for the past 3 or 4 weeks I have been seeing deer once again through out the day. Funny thing is - this area doesn't get a ton of pressure but once rifle shots start the deer go underground!

02-Feb-17
I work a lot. I don't get much time in the woods hunting. It's always been that way. But, with having a mountain of debt due to having cancer and, the treatment to keep me alive, I have even less opportunity in that department now. That's life. And, it isn't always fair to everyone. I'm sure there are those here that know that from first hand experience too.

I know the comments about the participation rate in a late season like this, would prove to be true. And, being I don't get a lot of time to enjoy what I look forward too everyday of my life, I sure would appreciate the extra days to just be able to relax and enjoy more piece, if given the chance to do so.

But, at the same time, I don't get bent when things don't go my way either. I'm just happy to be alive and, able to enjoy the life God has given me. Therefore, things like big buck management, weapons choices, and all the trivial crap deer hunters argue over, really is irrelevant versus just being able to enjoy hunting. As long as I can do that without having a special interest agenda crammed down my throat, life will indeed be grand. God Bless men

03-Feb-17
One buck limit nationwide? Seems petty at best. If a person wants to save $150 to go hunt another state that is up to them. If one can not save $150 in a year that is also up to them. I probably fall more in line with the working poor and can still afford to hunt another state. Can't think of a time where I killed a buck in WV then went to another state for the purpose of getting another buck. However, I have gone to another state for the purpose of having a hunt that is more meaningful and enriching to me. WV doesn't offer it for me, so I find enjoyment elsewhere. As a hunter I enjoy a good buck to doe ratio, an older age class, and a defined rut. That is what sends me to Indiana or Ohio.

Don't get me wrong, I still greatly enjoy my hunting in WV. I just have different expectations.

03-Feb-17
LOL petty - seems to me some have no problems to want place limits on others but when it is mention to just place limits on everyone which includes them - well then limits are just plain wrong? Yep you are right sounds petty to me.... it's just not about money it's time with my family - right now i can walk out my front door and step in to some great hunting and not have to shoot a young buck - come home at dusk and spend time with my family. But some want me to have to go to another state to continue my hunting season which would mean time away from them - nope not buying it. So if you want to limit my hunting then you ought to be willing to limit your hunting first!

03-Feb-17
No one wants you to have to go to another state to continue hunting season. Even with a one buck limit, you are free to not punch the tag and continue hunting. Having to go to another state is your argument.

03-Feb-17
I agree. You can hunt does or small bucks here. Everyone's definition of a nice buck is different. I like to be able to hunt big bucks too but most of our state doesn't have that. I'm talking about 150 bucks or higher. I know that won't happen here. Except the bow only states. My county just doesn't hsve that many of them. I gave up on it. And I can hold out for a big buck here but I'm realistic. I just hunt meat here and go elsewhere for my big bucks. All my big bucks were killed in montana , Iowa, Idaho and Illinois. They just manGe their deer herd different. I get that. So I'm just going to do what everyone else does here and pound for meat.

03-Feb-17
JR - here where I am at - I stand a good chance to get a 120 to 140 buck each year. I don't shoot spikes or fork horns - try to make it at least a 3 year old every year. Changing to a one buck limit won't do a thing here Berkeley because there are too many hunters and small acreage. Again everyone talks one buck limit because of bow only counties - it ain't because it is a one buck limit there - its bow only! Then there is talk of OH and Kentucky - well pretty sure Wisconsin , Iowa and Missouri have multiple buck limits and still produce big bucks as well. Every year on the WV big buck page on Facebook - I see more and more bigger bucks being killed here - think it is for many reasons - biggest is I do think more hunters are finally practicing deer , timber and land management. I do think we lagged behind many other states in those categories for years.

04-Feb-17
You are probably right. I'm not real sure what the answer is. I do know that whoevEr manages our deer just wants numbers and given the state of our economy that's ok. I am seeing bigger bucks on the one big piece of land I hunt because I don't shoot bucks on it. No one is allowed to kill a buck on it. Now I know the good ole boys do while I'm not there but my caretaker has been slowing them down. BIt the people I allow to hunt don't take bucks. All I know is the bucks in 4 years are bigger.,starting to see some nice ones now. I'm putting in food plots and timbering some of it. I'm learning

04-Feb-17
JR - I started seeing big difference with better land and timber management . Something that I think has helped just as much as my food plots - is planting some hard and soft mast trees. I have pretty much settle with sawtooth oaks, chestnuts, persimmon and crabapple. All four are low maintenance and start baring fruit and nuts fairly quickly.

I didn't mean anything about elitist either - especially not about people who work their butts off to get ahead. Main reason I said it was - maybe some of you will see how it feels to some of us when you try to limit the way we hunt if the limit were placed upon you as well. I have no problem with you hunting elsewhere at all! I have a lifetime license for Virginia as well.

• Sitka Gear