keepemsharp 27-Jul-17
tacklebox 27-Jul-17
tacklebox 27-Jul-17
sitO 27-Jul-17
Charlie Rehor 01-Aug-17
Scooby-doo 01-Aug-17
writer 01-Aug-17
26-Jan-17
I've been an observer on this forum for two seasons. Now I finally have a bow. I hope to put in plenty of practice over the next 8 months and try my luck at hunting next fall. My hunting will most likely be limited to public land in central and southcentral KS. I'm after venison so I'd rather put myself in a position with good chances to take a healthy doe rather than in a position with a small chance at harvesting a big buck.

What advice would you give a new bowhunter about archery technique, equipment, strategy, location, etc.?

A bit about me: I grew up hunting pheasants and hearing my grandfather's stories about stalking deer in open terrain without a tree in sight. I wasn't too interested in deer hunting as a kid. In my late teens and early 20's, I had some interest, but wouldn't have had anything to do with the meat. I think it was during this time that my grandfather gave me his bow in hopes that I might enjoy learning to shoot. About 8 years ago, I was finally ready. On a whim, I accompanied a friend on an (unsuccessful) rifle hunt. I dusted off my grandfather's bow and searched in vain to find someone who could adjust the draw length. It was also around this time that he became sick with the lung cancer that ultimately killed him. Sadly, I missed my opportunity to learn from a master. In the seven years since, I've been hunting with a rifle (it was available to me and I am proficient with it). I typically hike deep into public wildlife areas and hunt from the ground with my back to a large tree or brush. I've taken 5 deer, all broadside shots to the vitals within 50 yards. All along, I've wanted to ultimately become a bowhunter. I like the idea of the added challenges and of becoming invisible while hunting without the orange. I'm excited about the opportunity to witness some of the phases of the rut. And I know it'll be easier to find a few days to get away from work and family responsibilities when I'm not limited to a 12-day window. After Christmas this year, I finally had the few hundred dollars I needed to buy a used bow.

If I had an alternative motive for this thread, it would be to have something more cheery to discuss than legislation, wildlife management and baiting.

26-Jan-17
If I was just getting started again I would probably recommend finding an archery club in your area. Many of these clubs will list their shoot schedules on this site. The reason I recommend this is you can learn a lot from all of the people that will attend these 3-D shoots and they are great practice for archery hunting. You can see a lot of different equipment and ask questions about the gear they are using. The next step would be to find a great archery shop in your area. This can be done by visiting with the people that you meet at a 3-D shoot also. A good archery shop can make a huge difference if you are having issues with any of your equipment. I hope you enjoy your first season as a bowhunter. If you want to meet several bowhunters and see a lot of nice mounts and some vendors the Kansas Bowhunters Association will be having their annual awards convention on the 25th and 26th of Feb. in Hutchinson at the Atrium Hotel and Conference center. The display room and vendors area is open to the public. We will also have a KDWP&T Biologist and Legal Council there on Saturday afternoon to answer questions and discuss issues with us.

26-Jan-17
Shooting the bow is a small part of bowhunting. It's important, sure, but finding a good place to hunt, and figuring how and where to place stands is huge. Don't overlook the smallest of public areas. Be patient. Enjoy it all. You'll enjoy how the deer can be active during the rut, but so will more deer hunters. Carry your grandfather with you, in spirit. Remember, it's your permit. Shoot what you want. Oh, and be sure to keep those broadheads sharp. Read as much as you can about trailing an arrowed deer, particularly when to take up a trail right away and when to wait 2-12 hours.

26-Jan-17
Don't be afraid to ask others specific questions. I didn't know anything when I first started and asked A LOT even if I thought they may be stupid. If you have killed 5 deer with a rifle under 50 you are pretty much bowhunting with a gun.

Suggestions above are great. You can learn a lot on your own, but making friends with other bowhunters shortens the learning curve. Have fun and Good luck!!

Matt

26-Jan-17
Not sure where you are Ryan, but if you can find time to come to minneapolis, i would spend a day with you in my woods. I havent been bowhunting near as long as many, but have been able to find success from the ground as well as from stands.

There is a lot of equipment that is not required.

Best advice i have is to find the trails, rub lines, scrapes, now thru spring. Scent control and using the wind or thermals,..use pinch points and funnels, learn how they move from crop to crop ..if hunting crop fields. Learn to draw when they cant see your movement, not too early,.. Practice shooting from a stand if you are going to use one, learn and use treestand safety..

Drawing a 60lb bow is easier than a 70, especially in freezing temps..

Im sure Kyle or Derrick in the wichita area could help you with tons of good info. Both are very good accomplished archery hunters.

Im not sure what you mean by central, ie Mcpherson, Hesston, Newton area?

26-Jan-17
Hey Ryan, you've got all you need from the fellas above here...all of which have more experience than most bowhunters I know. I would get out this Spring and knock on some doors for Turkey, or ask around at work/church...I'm betting someone you know has a farm or a relative with a farm.

If you have any specific questions please post them, you will get answers.

Good luck and welcome to the addiction!

P.S. As long as you swear that you aren't a KU fan I might have a spot I could take you to for a doe or buck next Fall, so keep that in mind ;?)

27-Jan-17
If he was a KU fan, he'd already be smarter than you, anyway, Kyle, and wouldn't need your help.

27-Jan-17
Thanks for all the advice so far.

Griff - I'm in the Wichita area. I live out near Maize but work in the NE part of town. I had been planning on checking out Diamond Archery for the purchase of some accessories and for range use. I guess I'll find out soon enough if it is a "great archery shop". I'll take a look at my calendar and keep the KBA convention in mind.

writer and Matt - Your comments made me realize that most of the articles I've read over the past several years apply to bowhunting at least as much as to rifle. Broadheads will be a new topic for me though. For one, I'm going to have to learn whether keeping them sharp means changing them often enough or resharpening them.

z hunter - I really appreciate your generosity. I probably will not take you up on the offer though. At this point in life, with a couple of young kids, family drives a lot of uncertainty into my schedule. For now I'd prefer to hunt a little closer to home and I'd hate to have to bail last-minute on plans with someone else. In the past, I've tried and tried to scout via maps and satellite images, but I'm usually wrong in my predictions about how and where deer will be moving. I suppose there is no real substitute to off-season scouting on foot.

sito - Thanks for letting me live vicariously through your live hunts while I'm sitting at work. I've always hated asking for things from other people, but I think you're right. If I ask around work and church, I probably can find a little private hunting land. I can assure you I'm not a turkey fan; I have an engineering degree from K-State. I'm not one to harbor intense hatred for rivals though. When facing competition from other conferences, I like seeing most all the Big XII schools do well. I really appreciate your offer, but I think I ought to try harder this year to find my own access to private land.

28-Jan-17
Keep your shots close, broadside, use a good fixed blade and a heavy arrow and you should do fine.

28-Jan-17
1. Have fun with it, don't make it a job. 2. Practice shoot as much as you can, at home. 3. Don't get sucked into believing it takes the latest, greatest, fastest thing out there in the stores to be successful. 4. The less you take to the woods the better, sit still and avoid motion. 5. Leave the scent products on the shelf. 6. Use the wind to your advantage. 7. Avoid wearing your hunting clothes in the house, or in the truck/car on your way to the stand. 8. Place stands between bedding and feed fields, don't try to get too close to bedding areas. 9. Big racks/trophy deer are fun to hunt, but don't let anyone tell you that they are the only deer you should kill to be a successful hunter. Get some experience and learn what it takes to kill deer with an arrow first. Shoot what makes you happy, be it does or smaller bucks even. Later once you have more skills and knowledge, then try the trophy hunting thing. It was the 4th season of archery hunting before I shot my 1st buck with a bow, I had been waiting for that 30 point buck to magically appear. I nearly quit bow hunting because I had burnt myself out doing so. After the 1st buck, I shot a buck each year that was older and larger than the previous year for the next several years. For the last 20 years, I have again become a trophy hunter because I have learned to appreciate my time in the woods( seeing all wildlife and taking pictures ), and enjoy the challenge of fooling the king of the woods senses. 10. Learn to enjoy your time in the woods, appreciate the hunt experience itself, avoid becoming one of those hunters that have to "fill my tag" to have a successful hunt.

01-Feb-17
I would add shoot the first deer that gives you a good shot. There is nothing like experience. As Writer said shoot what makes you happy but a huge part of the learning experience for me was actually just shooting deer. I live in NY and growing up we had very liberal bag limits. I learned an awful lot just by killing a bunch of deer. I always get a kick out of the new guys saying they are holding out for a "big buck", well a lot of times if you have not killed quite a few deer first, when that big buck does show up guys go to pieces. Most importantly have fun!! Shawn

02-Feb-17
Ryan, if you want to meet at Diamond one day, be it over lunch hour or early evening we could meet and throw a few arrows. I live about an hour north but work in Wichita.

03-Feb-17
If you are ever around the Tonganoxie area, I will take you out. I also have a shop in Bonner Springs that makes for good indoor shooting if you need to get sighted in. Let me know!

03-Feb-17
Ryan The Diamond archery shop is a great place and they are some great people. If you have a problem they can sure help you with it. Like many have said shoot often and have fun. The one thing I will recommend that I haven't seen anyone say about archery is make sure you shoot the broadhead you are going to hunt with. No mater what kind, fixed blade, expandable, replaceable. Make sure they shoot where you are aiming. Just because they weigh the same or the manufacturer says they will shoot just like your field points does not mean they will. As long as they shoot consistently then adjust your sight to the broadhead. The subject of what broadhead to shoot may be your toughest decision to make. I shoot a replaceable blade broadhead and always keep an old set of blades for practice blades for the next season. Good luck and I hope you enjoy everything. If you ever want to try some bowfishing let me know.

03-Feb-17
This thread makes me smile.

03-Feb-17

Brick's embedded Photo
Brick's embedded Photo
I appreciate the additional suggestions. I took my bow into Diamond earlier in the week and they replaced the frayed serving for me. Tonight after work I fired it for the first time. Beginners Luck was flowing strong tonight. This was from only 10 yards, and I may never do this again, but these were my first 3 shots. I'm elated.

06-Feb-17
Hello Brick,

Welcome to the forum and the addiction that is bowhunting. My experience is a drop in the bucket compared to some on this site. But I can say I've come along way since I started 5 years ago. Mostly a solo endeaver, but this site, Archerytalk, and a couple generous people have helped me along the way.

So much to relay. A couple big ones that are absent above, or I may have glossed over

Study shot angles and what is a good shot, marginal shot, and straight up bad shot for a bow. Only take the good shots! It's tempting to let an arrow fly in the heat of the moment. But from my experience it's not worth wounding or leaving a deer to the coyotes over.

Figure out how you want to hunt. Stand, ground blind, or from the ground. Taking a deer from the ground is exponentially more difficult than from a tree or blind. Its not too tough to get them close enough, it's being able to draw without getting busted that gets me. Being elevated or concealed minimizes this factor.

I live in Bel Aire and hunt public land and the opportunity is there within reasonable driving distance to take does or even some good bucks. Just takes some scouting and lots of time on stand learning the woods and deer. There is drawbacks of course. And nothing comes easy.

Too much to say in a post. But feel free to pm me and maybe we can meet up some time.

07-Feb-17
Nice shooting! Something as simple as this you have probably heard, but other newbies may be lurking. If you are consistently hitting in one spot like your three arrows pictured, move your sight. It seems backwards, but you chase your arrows with your sight to dial it in. So for your situation, move your sight housing in small adjustments to the right and upwards until you hit the center of the dot. With that said, I would check it at 20 before making the up/down adjustment.

Keep up the good work and passion!!

Matt

27-Jul-17
I've been practicing quite a bit since I got my bow back in Feb. Now I'm beginning to think about hunting season. It just occurred to me that I can't use my bag target for tuning/sighting my bow with fixed broadheads. I definitely don't have the cash to buy one of the targets made specifically for this. Do I have any other options?

27-Jul-17
Google "homemade broadhead target", lots of options.

27-Jul-17
Brick: there will be a bunch of us at Pratt Aug. 12-13 for rondevous. There will be all kinds of equipment there and lots of no-score shooting.

27-Jul-17
If you can make the hour drive north to Marion I have a 10-60 yd range with 3d's and broad head bales. I also have a fully set up bow shop in my house with everything needed to get your bow BH tuned. I'm available most evenings and weekdays just shoot me a PM :)

No charge of course

27-Jul-17
The range is also set up so you can shoot from both an elevated position and from the ground. If you have not had an opportunity to shoot your bow as if in a tree stand it certainly can be a benefit before hitting the woods.

27-Jul-17
TJ you are the man! Take him up Ryan, good guy to know.

01-Aug-17
One of the most important things I ever did in my bow hunting "hungry years" was take offers as they were presented. tacklebox has extended a huge gift and you best jump on it "like a dog on a pork chop"!!

01-Aug-17
10Xs what Charlie said!! Shawn

01-Aug-17
Make it work, Brick. Guys like that can save you 10 years of screw ups, and let you know if potential problems are your gear, or you shooting style.

• Sitka Gear