Dr. Williams 09-Feb-17
Ace 09-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 09-Feb-17
notme 09-Feb-17
Dr. Williams 09-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 09-Feb-17
02-Feb-17

Ace's Link
City officials in Ann Arbor, Michigan, revealed a plan a few months ago to sterilize between 40 and 60 female deer to help with over population numbers within the city. The nonlethal phase of this plan is now complete, and a total of 54 deer were captured and sterilized by surgically removing their ovaries.

Now, the plan takes a shift toward the lethal phase, where sharpshooters will aim to kill up to 100 male and female deer this winter. The City Council voted 9-2 in November to approve a $153,940 contract with Connecticut-based White Buffalo Inc. to carry out both phases.

(more at the link)

02-Feb-17
Oh boy!! Here we go again. I'm not touching this thread. Carry on.

02-Feb-17
Busy little beavers ain't they

02-Feb-17
Hahahaha bbb thank you

02-Feb-17
My pleasure

02-Feb-17
My pleasure

02-Feb-17
My pleasure

02-Feb-17
Why ever would they perform ovarectomies AND sharpshoot deer? Weird.

02-Feb-17
Seems like a waste to spend all that $$ to fix does then only to send in Sharp shooters after.....dumasses... someone wasn't thinking

02-Feb-17
Notme did you say beaver ???

02-Feb-17
Dumbasses? Really? I think you need to give them a little more credit than that. They've done this once or twice before. The strategy is you go in when deer are naive, capture a whole bunch of dumb ones, remove their ovaries, and sharpshoot pretty much everything else. People still can see deer, but the majority remaining are sterilized and it takes a lot longer for the remaining herd to rebound. Actually, pretty smart. Hunters think in terms of lethal vs non-lethal means, deer managers think of managing deer with all the tools at their disposal.

02-Feb-17
One thing you don't want is a busy little beaver. Those are the kind that get around and pick up all kinds of bugs while doing so. If you touch one you might get the bugs on you and then you'll wish Doc was there to tell what got.

02-Feb-17
Why yes,yes I did mention beaver..duh..lol..maybe some one can start a thread on the beaver count in this state

02-Feb-17
Giardia. Bob you have giardia.

03-Feb-17
Lmfao.you funny doc

03-Feb-17
Giardia? Isn't that the Italian lady on TV that has the cooking show?

03-Feb-17
Here's Giada whipping up a batch of pumpkin cookies for her special guy BBB.......damn, I'm jealous.......

03-Feb-17

notme's Link
Always liked this one

03-Feb-17
Apparently DesMoines Iowa had a super severe overpopulation problem in 1997 or so that they corrected so I don't recall what they did but I would imagine someone should explore that. I will do some googling on the subject.

Interestingly enough I was working out there with the DNR and I never heard anything about that issue while I was there.

03-Feb-17

Dr. Williams's Link
Iowa City did something about it in 1999.

03-Feb-17
notme - Damn boy, is it me or is Giada doing something with her hands when she's handling the ingredients that is a bit on the nasty side?? I love when she has to reach down for the utensils. Never saw the other show, but she needs a smaller apron, like a French maid outfit would be appropriate :) I don't know what either of them were making, but I'd eat it. ;)

03-Feb-17
She does the French maid thing,lots of pin up girl stuff...does mostly REAL Italian food.

03-Feb-17
I think they should shoot the deer and then sterilize them. Can't be too safe.

07-Feb-17

Ace's Link
An update.

Bob they took your advice, except they got it backwards, they sterilized her first.

07-Feb-17
Only the politicians would spend out money (taxpayers everywhere) and then spend more money to fix the same problem twice. Why didn't they TAG the sterilized deer so they would know which ones to shoot????

07-Feb-17
So does it go in the negative column or does the tag get reused.

07-Feb-17

Dr. Williams's embedded Photo
Dr. Williams's embedded Photo
Bob. Seriously? You don't think they figured that out yet?

08-Feb-17
Doc - are you saying they had the deer tagged and shot it anyways? That's even worse! If that makes sense, why not shoot it on the operating table after the surgery and save yourself the trip to the field to look for it again??

08-Feb-17
Bob, I know as much about this as you do from reading Chas’s link. In that link it states “The deer was found with an ear tag that read number 32 and was apparently in pretty poor shape at the time. It was euthanized on Friday, February 3, just 9 days after undergoing ovary removal surgery.” So what this information tells me is that the deer was captured, an ear tag with the number 32 was punched through its ear, its ovaries were surgically removed, then it was released, and 9 days later it was euthanized because “The deer’s condition was getting worse, and there was likely no recovery in its future.” Sooooooo, I am not sure what else there is here. Am I missing something?

08-Feb-17
Doc - I was just trying to find some humor in this whole process. Spend the money to sterilize the deer, then shoot it,...... just sounded like we found the cure for the problem, and then decided to kill the patient. Or - Let's put a bandage on your arm and then cut it off. Let's get you eye glasses, and then poke your eyes out. That's what I picture when I read this article.

08-Feb-17

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
How do we know for sure that they are sterilizing those deer? From the pictures they could be subjecting them to advanced interrogation techniques.

08-Feb-17
Ace - OMG you're right. The cords on the deer's legs are plugged into the wall socket, I never noticed that before.

08-Feb-17
Easy guys it's a bondage thing...safe word is taxpayers...lol

08-Feb-17
I'm really glad human surgical procedures are a lot more sterile that those deer "surgeries"! Yikes!

08-Feb-17
Gotcha Bob. There are a small number of animals that need to be euthanized as the indirect result of capture efforts, never mind after an ovarectomy. There are ethical considerations even when using non-lethal techniques. If an animal is under duress due to human intervention, usually the most humane thing to do is euthanize it. You guys know that. Think of how many deer have been collectively injured by all the hunters in CT every year. I would like to think that most of them are tracked down and ultimately euthanized, but I am guessing that is actually a small percentage. Now I know nature can be cruel, but human behavior should be held to a higher standard. And I disagree with your silly analogies. But I do think you should get in a plane to Michigan and show those guys how it's done.

08-Feb-17

notme's Link
OOOOOOOOOO,BBB..i think you've been burned....lol

08-Feb-17

Mike in CT's embedded Photo
Mike in CT's embedded Photo
In a feverish attempt to get ready for big game in MI Bob is practicing on cats in CT......next up.......labradoodles.....

08-Feb-17
I think I saw them carrying that into the won ton palace last night

08-Feb-17
Doc - gotcha? What did you get? I think you need to get a sense of humor. I love being silly, it helps me relate to silly people.

Wait a minute, I never did bondage with any cats! I would never do that with a cat, I only do it with,.....um, I gotta go.

08-Feb-17

notme's embedded Photo
notme's embedded Photo

09-Feb-17
I guess I'm having trouble differentiating "humor" from every day Bob posts. Give me a heads up next time so I know when it's coming.

09-Feb-17
Attention: To all reading these threads,

If BBB is posting, Humor is coming. He may or may not (at his option) include a smiley face or emoticon.. If you can't see the humor in something he says, you're probably the butt of it.

You have been given all the "heads up", you will be given.

*This caution also applies to posts by NotMe, and sometimes other members. Carry On.

09-Feb-17
Ace - thanks! Doc had me worried, thought no one was picking up on the humor and tongue in check comments I make. I have to admit though that I've been pretty blunt with Doc at times, so understand where he's coming from.

Doc- you'll find that when we discuss hunting topics I'll respond to you just like I do with others on the site. We don't always agree on certain topics but that's ok.

09-Feb-17

notme's Link
https://youtu.be/kkOTYmELd4I

The master of tongue in cheek humor..

09-Feb-17
Thanks "Ace." I've come to expect nothing less from you.

09-Feb-17
notme - very funny link. I forgot just how funny George Carlin was. Got to see him in person in Hartford years ago.

• Sitka Gear