Missouribreaks 27-Feb-17
DoorKnob 27-Feb-17
dbl lung 27-Feb-17
02-Feb-17

Trapper's Link

02-Feb-17
Trapper...No Link

02-Feb-17
I'm hoping you mean statewide baiting and feeding BAN.

02-Feb-17
Not sure but maybe it was a link with the CWD group's list of 50+ recommendations (many of which have already been in place for years). A statewide baiting and feeding ban is suggested, but doubtful. In fact, I'd bet there will be allowances soon for bait/feed to be allowed in a county where no positives have ever been found, or haven't been found for many years. For example, the only positive ever in Manitowoc County was a single elk from a game farm more than a decade ago. A number of other similar examples. It's an economic boom for farmers, feed mills, orchard owners, gas station and grocery stores, etc., and a pastime enjoyed by tens of thousands year-round, and has been for decades. Never will see it statewide IMO.

02-Feb-17

Per48R's Link
I think he meant this as the link

02-Feb-17
There is bill in the works - LRB 0936/1: A bill proposed by Rep. Jarchow and Romaine Quinn to restore deer feeding after an instance of chronic wasting disease is discovered. Current law forced the DNR to indefinitely ban feeding. I believe that his ban should be lifted after a reasonable period of time in order for local families to again be able to enjoy wildlife outside their window.

02-Feb-17
Maybe we could get the Conservation Congress could pass a law for a statewide ban this April?

02-Feb-17
Okay I am so glad someone posted this thread,,,, Lets get down to the issues,,,,,

As a disclaimer, I do not bait, and I feel that we would be better off without it, but I also think we would be better off without food plots, but that is not going to happen....

To be fair, so many on here, from Naz to everyone else I read on this post, do not like baiting, but how many of these same guys hunting on food plots, on private land.....????

If Food plots are good for the herd, I have no problem with it, I mean it should not be dictated on what you can do on private land,,,,,, but think about this????

Is what you are planting good for the herd,,,, are you introducing invasives species etc,,, I do not know, just food for thought....

for you guys who believe that baiting increases the odds of CWD, than answer this to me,,,, I was recently on private land, in Forest County, over 150 acres,,, now there were food plots, very good ones, and the owner showed me his pics, and there was about 19 deer on one of his 1/2 acre plot, I mean there must be some nose to nose contact,,, don't you think?????????????????????????????????????/

If baiting caused or assists CWD, than the UP would have had problems a lot long ago, and at this time, none of it, has shown up..

deer farms should have double fencing, that is common sense, but politics rule, and they will not have to do that, but some poor shmo,, who wants to put out some apples to maybe get a small buck in is crucified?????????????????????

Again I do not bait,,,,, I am not against food plots, I am just stating the facts,,,,,, around my house, besides the farms, everyone has plots on their land, and they are their for one reason, not to feed the chickadees but to get that deer near their stand to shoot, and anyone who says otherwise, is full of baloney,,,,,

If there was no baiting,, if there was management on Federal forest, if there were no food plots in the north, it would be nirvana,,,,, However, the forest is a mess, and will be for a long long time,,,,, the wolves are out of control, and you must have your head in the sand, if you do not believe that, or spend no time in the woods,,,,,

If you have good private land, food plots are your answer, and they do in my opinion help the herd,,,,,, as what I can see, both the dnr and the feds, do not give a crap about the herd.....

and all of these backers of the dnr mgt plans etc, ask them where they hunt, and believe me, they are all on private, controlled land,,,,,

my opinion of seeing what has happen to our deer herd and mgt, its a shame, we use to be the best in the country, the best dnr mgt team existed here, than we decided to enter a world of PCm bullshit predators, without controls, deer mgt teams that were well educated but did not hunt,,,, it went to hell......

Yes huntnfish43, maybe the CC will do that,,,, and most deer will be on my friends food plots as much as they can,,,,,,,,,

Again I do not bait, I would not hunt over bait, but to tell me that CWD is caused my John Doe putting out some bait, is the biggest line of bullshit I have ever heard

02-Feb-17
It should only be allowed on private land.

02-Feb-17
The Congress can't pass a law. Resolutions on banning baiting have been overwhelmingly supported numerous times but the legislature doesn't act on it.

02-Feb-17
Hoot - I am wondering if perhaps you somehow were mis-informed. I googled LRB 0936/1 to get the exact wording relating to restoration of deer feeding after CWD discoveries, and discovered LRB 0936/1 does not pertain to deer feeding or CWD. It is completely silent on these issues. Do you have another number for the bill you are referencing? I would like to check it out to see the exact wording and what they are proposing.

Also, could you define "reasonable time"? I believe it would be very difficult to establish and then apply any sort of time line as to when feeding could be resumed after a CWD discovery as the incubation period for CWD in a host animal can be up to two years and the active life of CWD pirons in the soil can be as long as sixteen years. (Dr. Mike Samuel, Ph.D. professor at UW Madison, and CWD researcher spoke and presented information relating to CWD at the first meeting of the DNR CWD Response Plan Committee in October. During his presentation the above information relating to CWD "times" was mentioned.)

Really hope you can come up with that number for the legislation you mentioned. Am very curious about this. In advance, thanks.

02-Feb-17
Imo, if the dnr was serious about cwd 1) ban all fenced cervid operations( mud on tires, birds flying out?) 2) have fall hunter check stations on the main hwys in or out for whole carcasses 3) ban baiting. Foodplots? The top dnr deer guy kw has admitted they cannot legally define a foodplot. Besides, how many bowstands are on corn,bean, alfalfa edges.

03-Feb-17
Case - I receive political email updates for Wi and this was mentioned. I'll see if I can find out more for you.

03-Feb-17
Thanks, yes per48r.

03-Feb-17
Hoot - Great. Hope you can come up with a number or additional info. This would be interesting to read & follow.

03-Feb-17
come on Naz, enjoy a pastime... of slob hunting? Page 11 of the latest WON summed it up pretty well. Steve Heiting wrote a very informative article that deer hunting in Vilas Cnty was "just to hard and time consuming w/o baiting"? Who wants to limit yourself to hunting only deer trails and sign??? Three people quoted all said "i don't bait myself... but have nothing wrong w/ it" - of course not. Hard to believe w/ so few people dumping corn piles there is such an economic fuss. Corn must be $100/bag to be the cause of all these stores going out of business... Most of northern WI is in the same shape as Vilas for reasons that we all know and we have to show some patience because things are improving. The other half of the page talked about ok'ing a deer pen in Bayfield Cnty and that the owners wanted to also open a "fish in a barrel" operation which was nixed thank goodness. Worst page of newsprint I've read in a long time, at least they contained it to one page so I could just rip it out.

Half the page was an article about some

03-Feb-17
The difference in my opinion of a food plot or baiting is like sitting at the dinner table with someone that has a cold. You probably aren't going to catch the cold sitting across the table from them but if you share the same fork or drink out of the same cup much more likely. Not saying that close contact on a food plot or field cant and dosent happen just not as concentrated as baiting is.

03-Feb-17
Yes, ban it so only the violators can use it … LOL … really? IMO if there's any ban, it should be recreational feeding during the Sept.-Dec. period. Many deer "saved" from hunting pressure living near homes and businesses up north that feed year-round.

03-Feb-17
Razor-

We will have to sit down over a soda and talk about this.

03-Feb-17
Here's another issue..........

One problem we all need to consider, no matter what you do or do not believe or what you feel should or should not be done, that is at the very foundation of this CWD discussion is the situation of inadequate funding at the state and federal level. To date, no matter where the funds have come from to finance the CWD battle, they have been inadequate. So far, we are just barely getting by. (Of course there are those who will argue we are not getting by, but are losing,...look at the CWD prevalence % increase.) And if increasing state and federal $$$ cuts are looming, the situation does not seem to be improving.

A lot of fellows of this forum have advanced various agendas to combat CWD. To a greater or lesser degree, they all have merit. But none of them will amount to a hoot in hell if there's no $$$ to pay for them. The powers that be need increased CWD directed funding to increase their efforts.

So what do we do as sportsmen/bowhunters to counter this lack of sufficient funding? We need to work to make sure sufficient funds are allocated by the state and federal govt. to combat CWD. Of course I do not have all the answers of how to do this, but I would like to suggest we present a united front and work together to present our concern to the state. Get organized, join a local or state club. There is strength in numbers and a collective and louder voice can be heard better, maybe all the way to Madison or Washington D.C. Whenever possible talk to your political representatives (at all levels) and let them know how you feel. Urge them to help battle CWD with targeted funding and legislation.

I realize this post presents a "big picture" perspective, but damm, when you think about it, it is really true. All CWD programs require $$$. That's a no brainer. Absent $$$, no program or progress!

Just my .02$ worth here. I'm off my soap box! Thanks for reading this.

03-Feb-17
This Will prob not go well, but what about allowing the spin feeders like Michigan? They're actually promoted in Michigan. I see a few good points, they throw the feed (or bait if you are one of those corn only guys) in a 25'radius. (Michigan requires any bait or feed to be spread, not in a pile). This seems to mimic the theory of food plot being less likely to spread germs. Regulated to not over feed. They're so common in the u.p. and hay-they don't see the cwd problems. And their deer migrate and winter in very high dpsm numbers, almost seems like they 'should' have the issues. I don't bait, as I feel it's easier to pattern deer in farm country without it. And I'm usually the first to complain when someone starts dumping bait in late October screwing the strategy I have for an area. However I understand the big woods hunters wanting to use it where legal. And I know of people that it's a tradition to drive up north the weekends prior to gun season to bait. Hey maybe that's what's meant by the lost revenue if baiting is banned? No one is getting rich selling a few pallets of 50lb bag corn at maybe what, a $2 bag profit maybe? truckloads of baiters buying dinner and drinks a few extra weekends could add up. And I'll be the first to admit we have feeders at our u.p. properties, they run all year, provide much less than my plots but It's a little extra and puts them in areas we can enjoy watching them from the comfort of kitchen table. This is kinda a tradition for many folks as well. We mix corn, beans and oats. I like to think we're helping the heard that was badly reduced from a few rough winters. If there would ever be a wolf on camera I'd stop immediately, luckily we've never had any.

03-Feb-17
Casekiska -

Yes CWD is a big issue, but in my mind it is not something we have to battle. It is something we have to live with.

It was discovered in the late 1960's in "Captive" Mule Deer in Colorado. In 1980 the first published report from captive deer was made available. The Mule deer were being held in the same area as sheep that had Scrapie(also a form of TSE)

In 1981 CWD was diagnosed in free ranging Elk in Colorado. In 1983 they started hunter harvest surveillance.

It has since been discovered in Elk, Mule Deer and Whitetail Deer numerous places across North America. Yes, this disease, like others, knows now boundaries.

It was first discovered in Free Ranging Whitetail Deer in Wisconsin in 2002.

There have been attempts to depopulate the areas in Wisconsin that have been "Deemed" Hot Spots by the DNR and Dept. of Ag. This hasn't worked too well as the history of this has shown.

Western States have tried to help the health of the herd in harsh winters with supplemental feeding that was sponsored by the various brewery's out there.

We've all been made aware of how to handle deer when we harvest them.

There are still many questions that haven't been answered by those in charge in the Government.

How did CWD get here? Who was responsible for monitoring the transportation of cervid's and are those reports being made public, so we know what is going on?

You mentioned the cost of implementing a program. What program? If it is testing and documentation of the test results, those tests cost an average of a "Whopping" $15 per animal.

We are also in the infant stages of going through how and what the people that attend the CDAC meetings across the state want to do and if they want to fund the continued investigation of CWD.

In my mind if there was a $15 increase of my license fee to offset the cost of these tests that would be OK with me.

That being said, we also need to rebuild the DNR with the scientists that were removed and build the facilities needed for the scientists to test for this disease and any other that would be discovered.

Granted this woudl take some time and a lot of funding, but it could be done if done the right way and if supported across the board by a majority of the hunters and non-hunters.

As far as supplemental feeding, I have no problem with it unless you are feeding any type of animal by product. (bone meal, etc.)

If it's legal and you do it legally, go for it.

03-Feb-17
I find this very suspicious .. The cats been out of the bag for at least 2 decades ---- Bow Hunting deer on land specifically managed for deer is better and more enjoyable . It’s unbelievable that we have so many people that want to hunt deer on land managed specifically for deer and the best we can do is to have bait piles scattered about to feed the deer and hope for a mild winter . Throw in no control on the wolf , and a gun hunt every year the public land hunt and herd will never be more than it is now . Again , It’s very suspicious that this is the case when you consider we know exactly what it takes and at the same time we waste time debating these low level ideas that are not going to make much difference .

03-Feb-17
Northbound. I have never understood the DNR not allowing spin feeders. I really dislike baiting. However if they are going to allow it. It makes more sense to get the feed spread out. Just one more instance of the "experts" at the DNR knowing it all.

03-Feb-17
Rut-the baiting and feeding laws come from the legislature, not the DNR. The real problem is the DNR gets blamed for all but mucof the time the blame is on the elected officials making uninformed or well thought out decisions.

03-Feb-17
Hello Mike F,

"There are still many questions that haven't been answered by those in charge in Government." Yes, and that my friend is a real pain in the a$$ for a lot of folks! Problem is, many of the commonsense questions we all have, no one knows for sure what the correct answer is. For example, When did CWD first arrive in WI? Who the heck knows?!? No one for certain. We know when it was first discovered here, but who's to say these deer were actually the first? Could have been here for years before that in untested and "undiscovered" deer. It is likely that the truth is, no one knows for sure when CWD first arrived here, nor will we ever know.

Same goes for how did it get here. Again, there may be a theory but no one knows for certain. There may be conjecture about how CWD is transmitted from animal to animal on a local basis, but how did it jump the Mississippi and end up near Mt. Horeb?

In my opinion, the unanswered questions come about because, truthfully, a lot of the people we ask simply don't know the answer. Even the "experts" brought into the discussions in the DNR CWD Response Plan Review Committee admitted there was much that was unknown about CWD, how it was transmitted, how it could be controlled, and exactly what the next step should be, and a whole bunch more!

We, the scientists, the DNR, you, me, and all of us now know something about CWD. As you mentioned it was first recognized or discovered in the 1960s, this makes it a fairly young disease. We are just now learning about it and realize we have a long road ahead of us. If there is anything that is certain, it is that it is here, we are attempting to learn more about it, and also that it affects the quality of the hunting experience for many.

When I mentioned the word "program" in regard to CWD, I was using it in a very broad sense. I apologize for not explaining this in my earlier post. I used "program" to mean the totality of all of the efforts in place to control CWD on a state basis. This would include individual animal testing, educational efforts and materials by the DNR & DATCP, monitoring of deer carcass transportation by hunters, monitoring and administration of captive cervid facilities, etc., and probably another few score efforts that have been and are being carried out.

03-Feb-17
Skook - Well put.

03-Feb-17
Skook is 100 percent correct, the dnr implements the programs and direction, given to them, by our legislators, I believe that cdac is the best thing the hunter has going for him,,,,,,,

I agree with Mike F. and I want real science, not political science, and let the chips fall where they may,,,,,,,

03-Feb-17
Skook, yeah I know that and shouldn't have typed what I did, just frustrated. Isn't this one of those things that if the DNR pushed hard enough, the legislature would listen?

03-Feb-17
Well, the CDAC's came from legislators. Yes, sometimes legislators are lobbied by political interests but sometimes they are presented with science also. At least at that level there are hearings and input from many people, unlike when a handful of biologists make a decision with no other input. Just food for thought...

03-Feb-17
CaptMike-

Don't we need some input form the scientists, some how, some way? Right now we have none, or very little.

03-Feb-17
Of course we do but why do you think we have none right now?

03-Feb-17
The problem with input from scientists/biologists, is that many of the ones now employed by the DNR are anti-hunting pukes.

03-Feb-17
Rut, a number of years ago Dr Kroll did a study that said approximately 20% of new DNR hires were anti's.

03-Feb-17
Very little input if any and like Rut said some are not working for the good of the hunter and fisherman.

03-Feb-17
DNR staff are prohibited from talking to any legislators. This fact alone tells me how serious of a problem we have.

03-Feb-17
" Isn't this one of those things that if the DNR pushed hard enough, the legislature would listen?"

The top DNR positions were appointed by Walker, all members of the Natural Resourced Board were appointed by Walker ..... If anyone speaks out against the Republican party line, they loose their jobs! If DNR staff cannot talk to legislators, then someone wants to make sure legislators only hear the party line.

03-Feb-17
Yes, they will listen. Those people are elected. That means they need to keep a majority of their constituents happy. To believe they get elected and then do whatever they want without listening to anyone is ridiculous.

03-Feb-17
Capt Mike - One thing that really caught my ear when I attended Kroll's talk at Hayward is he said, The biologist with the DNR have to don some boots and get out in the forest to see what's going on instead of sitting behind their computers and their models.

03-Feb-17
Hoot, I have heard him say that also. Makes sense. In a small way, DMAP does help in that regard.

03-Feb-17
I say ban baiting and feeding in all of Wisconsin or make it legal with no restrictions in all of Wisconsin and be done with it, don't really care which as it doesn't happen on my land and never will. As far as increasing funding for CWD research to again watch the DNR flush it all down the crapper lets hope those days are almost over, CWD is a non-issue and there's no reason to keep "studying" it. Any money would be better spent studying the yellow bellied day time whistling yet night time farting tree frog or here's a crazy idea maybe the DNR could attempt a smidgen of "management" on some of their public hunting lands if they can ever find an extra dollar or two.

03-Feb-17
Stop being lazy when you bait, throw the corn all over, don't just dump a pile. Use a pto operated hopper spreader to get the best distribution. That would help..... Pitch fork the balage around a bit don't just leave the bale sitting in the field. Come on guys. Merica!

03-Feb-17
CWD is a non issue? It's a 100% fatal disease whose infection rate is growing exponentially and infection area is growing steadily. That is after aggressive population control. It will be even worse if we just ignore it. I consider that something worth addressing.

03-Feb-17
This whole argument of ban or legalize feeding and baiting is fueling one group....animal rights activists. We have people not only in favor of banning baiting but we also have people in favor of raising license fees. Both will do one thing reduce the number of hunters which the state should not do due to the lack of funding for so much already.

ONCE AGAIN THE LIBERAL BUNNY HUGGERS ARE WINNING THIS BATTLE! Keep it up guys!

Obviously banning feeding and baiting has not done anything in the areas were CWD has been found as it continues to infect more and more animals. So why ban anything? This is crazy to even think about you guys!

03-Feb-17
dbl lung, imo those that would quit hunting due to a license fee increase or a baiting ban are not the types that are going to benefit us anyway. Just adding numbers for the sake of numbers does little. This is one of those places where quality over quantity rings true.

04-Feb-17
Myself I've never baited for deer, but if it was legal, I never condemned people who did as long as it was done legally. I'd like to see feeding deer again. I use to feed in the winters with a deer blend, especially in bad winters. When I lived in the core area I was asked to be on a forum with the DNR right after the first positives were found. Many things were asked and discussed by the DNR. I'm still scratching my head since 2002 on a lot things that were asked, mentioned and done. One of the mentions at this forum by the DNR was that there would be an entire collapse of the Wi. deer herd within five years if nothing was done to combat CWD, such as total eradication of deer in the core area. Another thing was no baiting, feeding, minerals, mineral blocks allowed to combat the spread of the disease. I asked if this ban was for farmers with blocks out in the fields. Their answer was no as they were exempt. HUH! A friend and myself volunteered at the Barneveld CWD collection site to try and learn as much as we could about CWD since most everyone had no clue about the disease. I could tell you moronic stories of what the dept did and said during the first few years after the firestorm hit.

04-Feb-17

sagittarius's Link
White-Tailed Deer Declines from CWD: http://www.uwyo.edu/uw/news/2016/09/uw-research-finds-first-ever-evidence-of-white-tailed-deer-declines-from-cwd.html

Chronic Wasting Disease kills 19% of deer herd annually: http://www.wyofile.com/study-chronic-wasting-disease-kills-19-deer-annually/

Combat CWD by reducing elk feeding: http://www.wyofile.com/state-vet-combat-cwd-reducing-elk-feeding/

04-Feb-17
"CWD is a non issue? It's a 100% fatal disease whose infection rate is growing exponentially and infection area is growing steadily. That is after aggressive population control. It will be even worse if we just ignore it. I consider that something worth addressing. "

Of course you do. But it already has been addressed and for several years now. We've learned very little other than it's a good sky is falling drama-fest for the DNR to "need" funding to study. Maybe if people really feel more funds should be dumped into researching CWD a different organization other than the WDNR should be utilized as it seems to me the WDNR has had their chance, actually several chances. Possibly one of the other states that has been dealing with it for much longer could share what they came up with after all their research, and how they stopped or even slowed the disease, unless of course they came to the conclusion there is no way to stop or slow it and rather they learned letting it run it's course is the only logical and financially intelligent thing to do.

04-Feb-17

sagittarius's embedded Photo

sagittarius's Link
CWD results, "By County" .... "Iowa"

04-Feb-17
Myself, at this date & time I don't feel there is any way to stop the spread of CWD. Slow it down, maybe, stop it, no. I would hope they just do more prevalence testing to see how much it has spread as I see that's the only thing I see as feasible at this time. The infection rates spread more in the western states because of migrating deer and elk. As far as research goes on vaccines that has been a failure. Jan. 16, 2016 Laramie, Wyo. — Hopes for a vaccine to prevent CWD suffered a severe blow in late October when Wyoming researchers announced that elk inoculated with an experimental serum were at least three times more likely to contract CWD than unvaccinated elk.

04-Feb-17
Wyoming researchers have already identified a small minority genotype of elk and mule deer that do have some genetic resistance to CWD. Wisconsin should just apply some common sense….

1. Slow the spread of CWD by eliminating baiting/feeding, and lowering the deer population.

2. Re-hire the scientists and researchers Republicans let go and fire up actual research on CWD in whitetails. Identify Wisconsin whitetails with genetic resistance to CWD. Breed them, propagate them, then spread CWD resistant deer around the state. Use science to speed up the process of natural CWD resistance in wild deer. If Wisconsin can spread Turkeys, and Elk around the state, spreading CWD resistant deer should be obvious.

3. Pray …. That there never is any confirmed human health risks with consuming CWD positive deer.

04-Feb-17
So Sag.....What you want is to continue to pump money into a dead horse. VS what someone else said of letting another state do their study and see what they come up with. It would seem to me WI has pump millions of man hours into this issue with little to no result. Hiring the moron who basically made a mountain out of dust pile is no way to solve the issue either. There are still monster elk and mule deer out West after 20 plus years. There is now proof of some deer becoming resistant to CWD. Nature will run its course with CWD leading the way. The faster the numbers of infected deer grow the faster CWD will go away. CWD + government job creator = waste of money.

05-Feb-17
Dbl, +1

05-Feb-17

>>>--arrow1-->'s Link

05-Feb-17
$27 million in just the first 4 years, I wonder how much has been spent in the past 10 years since 2006. There was a lot of money wasted on worthless studies and eradication efforts.

05-Feb-17
Oh the 2005-2006 Legislative Audit an oldie but a goody a lot of good nuggets

"The audit found that 50% of DNR's 26.8 million in CWD cost since 2002 was spent on testing."

"Spending $671,000 to enforce baiting and feeding regulations"

"Investing $336,000 to build a venison pantry program"

"Implemented five years of expanded hunting season frameworks"

"$580,000 in financial incentives to increase deer hunter participation"

Those are just some of the highlights HF43

05-Feb-17
The 206 Audit also broke down some of the spending further:

21.1 Million came from Segregated Revenues nearly all of which came the fish and wildlife accounts. For those of you who only get the WON that is hunting and fishing fees.

So if the WI DNR is doing nothing with CWD now where did that 21.1 Million in the budget go? Seems to me the DNR should be pretty flush with cash.

05-Feb-17
Remember every dollar that the government gets comes out of the pocket of a tax payer. At the federal level we are only $19,939,760,263,983.00 in debt, yet tax collections are at an all time high. Oh again for those of you who subscribe to the outdoor newspaper, that's nearly 20 TRILLION!

05-Feb-17
Huh! Using pesky facts just doesn't seem fair!

05-Feb-17
Thanks for the info hunts. Appreciate it. FYI - The debt clock has risen $38 billion from your posting time to mine. Now that is scary.

05-Feb-17
Wausau, just saw your post, I was talking about feeding for wildlife watching with the "pastime enjoyed by tens of thousands" comment.

05-Feb-17
Gee they want to raise my fees,,,,Gee they want to have me keep buying my CP license and add less and less to it..... Gee why don't they sharpen their pencils,,,,If I ran my family budget like that, we would be in trouble

05-Feb-17
Republican legislators would rather raise license fees than taxes.

Wisconsin used to have one of the premier research Universities in the country, but that has slipped a bit with recent budget cuts. Leverage UW Madison .... fire up genetic research on Whitetails with CWD resistance. Wisconsin could be the scientific leader in genetic research in the country. Wisconsin could preserve deer hunting for hunters every where. Republicans should stop running away from science, and use it for the public good. This is an opportunity. ;-)

05-Feb-17
http://www.wyofile.com/study-chronic-wasting-disease-kills-19-deer-annually/

05-Feb-17
Study, study and another study. All those studies, funded by who? Republicans may not want to raise taxes but democrats certainly have no problem spending other people's money.

06-Feb-17

Hoot's embedded Photo
Hoot's embedded Photo
Here is a picture from the Barneveld CWD collection site. I volunteered there two years to learn what I could. It was sad to see the shameful waste of deer being thrown in to trailers to be hauled off to some crematorium. So many deer wasted because the DNR/media had spouses of sportsmen scared to death that they might contract Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease if any deer from this area was consumed. The sky was falling and a lot people were scared as hell the first year. If there was anything good to come out of the slaughter the first year, some areas needed to be thinned down as they were well beyond carrying capacity at over 100 deer per square mile.

06-Feb-17
I would rather see the fees raised then taxes (as long as it is a yearly thing and we don't play catch up every 5 or 10 years.) Why should I pay for state parks when I have never been in one? Why should the non hunter pay for hunting related work when they don't hunt? It is like this, if you can not support doing it then you probably should not do it.

06-Feb-17
Hoot-

Were you the guy taking all of the inside loins??? LOL

dbl lung - What is your stance on non-motorized watercraft using teh same boat landings as those of us that have motorized boats? I would like to see an access fee for everyone that uses boat landings, to be fair anyone that uses the landing should have to pay an access fee. If they would do that then maybe the state landings would all be in as good of shape as the county landings that we have to pay fees for. I know that Wood County charges $20 for the year to launch power boats. Kewaunee charges $8/day and $80 a year to use the launch there and $0 for non-power boat users who use the same facilities.

07-Feb-17
Mike - The few boat landings that have fees have not done much up here in my eyes to improve the county landings that I've used. The state landings I've used are free and most are in good shape. I agree if there is a fee, any watercraft should pay the fee.

07-Feb-17
Naz got it, that makes more sense

07-Feb-17
Mike F - Not me, but I should've grabbed tons of loins, but if you were referring to the guy working at the table he was working on a huge buck that was going to be bagged and sent for testing. The gene pool sure took a big hit especially when they opened the gun season mid October.

13-Feb-17
Casekiska - I finally got some info on the proposed feeding bill. Here are some of the main aspects of the bill and why it was created. · In 2011, a deer was found with CWD in Spooner, WI (Washburn County). This put a permanent ban on feeding in Washburn, Barron, Polk, and Burnett Counties. No deer with CWD has been found in any of those counties since 2011. · Currently, there are 43 counties in Wisconsin that are under a permanent feeding ban. This is almost 60% of the state. · This bill gives the DNR the ability to sunset feeding bans after a set amount of time. The merits of baiting and feeding are up for debate, but is not germane to this bill. · Currently, the DNR cannot sunset feeding bans in counties or adjacent counties where CWD has been found. This bill would sunset these bans in the affected county if no other case of CWD was found after three years and in the adjacent counties after two years. · This bill makes no other changes to baiting or feeding policy. · If another case of CWD is found after the ban is lifted, the clock would reset and be reexamined in two or three years, respectively.

13-Feb-17
So what is the chance of finding a CWD positive deer in those four counties? Last year only 0.42% to 1.02% of the deer population was sampled in those counties. If the CWD infection rate is as high as 1%, the odds of finding a CWD positive deer is less than 1:1000.

13-Feb-17
Great news! A 1% infection rate is low enough that we need not worry about it.

13-Feb-17

CWD Results, By County, Iowa
CWD Results, By County, Iowa

sagittarius's Link
More great news! Iowa County was only 1.32% 13 years ago.

13-Feb-17
Great! If we could just eliminate all deer we could get that rate down to zero. And, it would eliminate the incidence of all other diseases deer might be able to contract.

23-Feb-17

sagittarius's Link
AB61 : "This bill provides that, after any positive test for CWD or BT has been confirmed, the rule prohibiting feeding deer may not be in effect for longer than 36 months in the county where the tested animal was located or longer than 24 months in neighboring counties."

So, the fewer deer that are tested for CWD, the more likely baiting will resume ... nice.

23-Feb-17
Yikes

23-Feb-17
Here we go again.......

23-Feb-17
Ban it all, and learn to hunt.

23-Feb-17
If CWD didn't exist, would people still feel so strongly about banning baiting practices? How is baiting for deer different than baiting for bear? I'm asking to be educated, not yelled at! I currently plan to bear hunt when I accrue enough points. Just asking for clarification?

23-Feb-17
Whether you're for or against bait, let's get one thing straight...if you use bait you are not HUNTING...you are simply waiting. If that's how you want to spend your time then more power to you. Seems like it would be boring as hell to me..

23-Feb-17
Feel the same way Reggie...I really don't see the difference between bear and deer baiting other than there's a lot less bears so baiting ups your chances. Thant and bear baiting is good for the guides.

There's a few bear guides here that could/will correct me.

23-Feb-17
South Farm that can be said for anyone hunting over food plots or just any ag field in general. How about the guys like me up north that set up in a oak ridge in wait for them to come out of their bedding area? A food source is just that wether it's placed by hand, manipulated through farming practice, or just natural. Looks like most of us are "just waiting"

23-Feb-17
Difference is, Drop Tine, you don't know when or if they'll return to your oak woods. You know damn well they're coming to that corn pile though...and probably can pinpoint the hour. Not bashing baiting, I could care less if it's legal or illegal, but in my mind it isn't hunting and I'd feel like I'm cheating myself out all that hunting has to offer by doing it.

23-Feb-17
What about food plots? After all they are just larger bait piles. You skirted them in your reply.

23-Feb-17
I didn't skirt the issue, but I'm not a fan of food plots either because it makes a farmer out of a hunter. On top of that I don't like sitting in a box overlooking a monoculture. I like to be surrounded by the woods and move around based on the deer sign. You hunt how you like, I'm not judging anybody, just telling you how I prefer to hunt. Bait piles and Foodplots to me are boring, nothing more nothing less.

23-Feb-17
LOL ^^^^

23-Feb-17
We have a few 1/2 acre openings and have access to equipment. Why would someone not provide the wildlife with more food ? 2 gallons in my opinion will do nothing for nutrition, 3-4 acres of the right standing crops will.

23-Feb-17
You guys piss up this rope by yourselves. I'm of the opinion nature provides all the food deer need. Find it and you'll find the deer. You want to sit on 2 gallons of corn or a pile of apples knock yourself out if that's what makes ya happy.

23-Feb-17
So the guy who planted 250 oak trees 50 years ago on an oak ridge is a master baiter also?

HMMMM......

23-Feb-17
I would consider food plots slightly more altering than any other habitat improvement.

I think the folks who maintain plots also do selective cuttings, build thermo covers (if that's the right phrase?) and create licks. As opposed to guys that JUST dump corn.

I'm trying to figure out what I want to do this year. My main goal is to help the does and fawns. Will probably only hunt my land one weekend but when my family is up during the summer it would be great to see fawns. Also by doing this it will help the rest of the herd. Its all land improvements.

23-Feb-17
Tweed, I think you nailed it there... I'll be the first to state that I have put in food plots now for many, many years... ADDITIONALLY, have utilized select cutting to promote regrowth and thermo cover, and completed countless tree plantings, both coniferous and deciduous, some of which my children will be much greater benefactors of as they'll see more of the long-term results. I would guess that a lot of private land owners who are into bow hunting have done the same in addition to building ponds, hinge cutting, etc. -Enhancing your own property is a perk of owning and paying taxes on it, right?

Somewhere along the line, "food plots" have been intertwined with "kill plots" or "hunting plots", which in my experience could not be further from the truth. I cannot recall ever hunting in a location directly over a food plot as I don't find it conducive for what I am trying to accomplish and many times would be counter productive to some degree.

23-Feb-17
"How is baiting for deer different than baiting for bear? I'm asking to be educated, not yelled at!"

No difference at all, other than bear hunters have somehow throughout the years talked themselves and others into believing baiting and/or running bear with dogs is the only possible way to get it done. Personally I would get no enjoyment out of either method which is why I don't take part, of course I wouldn't/don't pour out bait to shoot deer over either for the same reason. I do plant food plots on a yearly basis though along with completing other land improvements, but as others have previously mentioned I too do not hunt directly over the plots as that would suck most of the "challenge" out of it for me. Different strokes for different folks, the important thing to remember is hunt legal and everyone wins.

23-Feb-17
What difference does it make if you hunt over a food plot or just one of the trails leading to it?

24-Feb-17
Woods (RC)- I'm not denying that I put those crops their to ultimately draw more deer to my land and kill a few of them. I also plant spruce, apple, oak, chestnut trees every yr. All of this benefits the deer and adds nutrition, dumping your corn, not so much.

24-Feb-17
RC- lol, nobody will convince you of how to benefit wildlife. Just keep dumping your corn. Lol

24-Feb-17
I never claimed planting food plots doesn't give me an advantage, my point was I prefer to hunt a trail leading to the food plots instead of sitting on the plots where I would have countless shot opportunities most hours of the day. I also agree that pouring bait and planting bait basically serve the same purpose, only difference being the planted stuff hoards deer much better and benefits wildlife for much longer than dumping bait does. Plus I would imagine bait dumpers are continually stinking up the area having to refresh it on a regular basis causing the deer to turn somewhat nocturnal.

"My guess is the bill that re-allowing baiting will level the playing field for both types of baiters. It will anger the bait growers who enjoyed a monopoly."

It might anger some of the small scale plotters that are planting a couple acres or less, but those of us that typically plant 5 acres plus every year (and that leave up 10 acres or more of corn every year) will still enjoy the fruits of our labor a little more than the guy dumping out a 50 lb sack every few days. In reality I could care less if they legalized dumping bait again as it won't happen on my land and it won't affect my hunting at all. Much like how the DNR will never be allowed to manage the enjoyment of deer hunting on my land down the crapper as they have accomplished on their public land and as they seem hell bent on accomplishing throughout all of Wisconsin.

lmao at (FU) hahaha (Nothing personal RJN I just found it to be funny.)

24-Feb-17
I would say that there's as much or more "feeding" done year-round cumulatively than baiting in fall (with the biggest sales in the weeks prior to gun hunt). Why penalize rural folks who like to watch wildlife come into their backyard if there was a CWD-positive critter a county over and a decade ago (one example)? That said, recreational feeding up north during the fall likely is one of the top reasons folks see "no deer" in some areas (esp. those with cabins/homes/businesses feeding nearby) with deer patterned to where they're being fed daily. Could be 5-10 or more deer hanging out in an area not available to hunting, and 40 acres away a public land hunter sits wondering where all the deer are. Obviously if done legally two gallons a day is not enough to hold 10 deer to a small area forever, but how many only use two gallons?

If you ban it, it'll still be done by many as proven in MN and WI areas where it's not legal (and this with a skeleton crew warden force relying on tips).

24-Feb-17
Woods- I have no problem with you dumping your corn either. It both serves the purpose of attracting deer. The difference is I can plant 5 acres in a day and when all the ag fields are harvested, I provide the deer with food (nutrition). You on the other hand have to dump corn every few days, sounds like a lot of work and intrusion to me.

24-Feb-17
HunterR- I thought (fu) was funny also. Rc has always been a snarky fella. Woods- 99% of baiters dump corn which has little to no nutritional value compared to acres of soybeans, clover, radishes, turnips, winter rye. Yes we all know the focus is to gain an advantage but plots on a large scale also provide much needed food post rut and throughout the winter. If your able to dump all those crops mentioned, knock yourself out.

24-Feb-17
So have the crops RJN which are the best nutrient wise for northern forest deer?

24-Feb-17
Tweed- Im in west central WI so I'm no expert as far as the north goes but I know soybeans and clover are high in protein and the deer devour both by us. Winter rye/ladino clover has been a huge attractant for us. Radishes are highly digestible and are like 20 % protein. You will be amazed how hard the deer hit them in the winter. Turnips in our area are the last crop they eat, usually when everything else is gone.

24-Feb-17
I'd like to see the winter feeding back. I use to feed a deer blend mainly in bad winters until the deer baiting/feeding ban went on. I know in the winter of 2014 the deer biologist in northern Bayfield county contacted the sportsmens club to help the deer by feeding them. They had tons of feed from mills for the deer. The feeding still had to be two gallons and within 50 yds of your residence. That year I saw so many starving deer, dead deer on the lakes, along roads just trying to escape the snow depth as movement was almost impossible. Really a sad thing to see.

24-Feb-17
I hunt over bait! It's called 200 acre corn or soybean field. I know it's what the deer are eating so that's where I hunt. What's the difference in me hunting a 200 acre field that has deer coming to it or someone else hunting a 5 acre food plot? There is none. My baiting is just done on a larger scale and for profit. Joe shmoes 5 acre plot is done to help the wildlife that calls his property home. Imo Joe is a better steward of the land than me.

When you choose to dump a big pile of corn in one spot you're only doing it so you can kill something while it eats. When you plant a food plot you're doing it because you want to kill something while it eats but also provide nutrition for the animals you don't kill. There is a big difference in dumping corn vs planting a food plot. Both help you concentrate animals so you can kill them but only one actually benefits the wildlife population.

24-Feb-17
Crusader- don't even try, RCs melon is thicker than a 4x4.lol. Aparently he cannot comprehend that there's more nutrition in a 5 acre food plot vs 2 gallons of corn. He's still trying to justify helping out his dad. Lmfao

24-Feb-17
Actually long maintained baiting sites do assist a rather long list of dinner guests.

From the Blue Jay to the Field Mouse, they all benefit. Nuthatches, Woodpeckers as well as Pine Squirrels, Grey and Fox all benefit. Not to mention our Turkey flocks and bunny rabbits as well. I have even have grouse wander into my bait sites on occasion. Let us not forget the winged warriors who benefit from game that stop to eat such as the Great Horned Owl and the Coopers and Sharp Shin - not for the corn but for the winged meals on wheels!!! In some areas we have had pheasants stop by to grab a bite.

It's a fair argument to state that many "bait sites" are not out long enough for anyone to benefit but then again "some" are.....

Oh, there are benefits....

24-Feb-17
Oops I forgot about the birds. Lol

24-Feb-17
I guess I'm a rare breed, I've never baited for deer or hunted over plots, but near farm fields sometimes, but on the other hand I hunted the hardwoods so in reality I guess that's a food plot. As long as it's legal I don't condemn what others do.

24-Feb-17
Who would actually use only 2 gallons?

If you're going to bait go big or go home!

If its legal this summer/spring maybe i'll dump 50# and set a camera just to see what happens.

24-Feb-17
"Both are good or both are bad."

I agree with this. They both are similar enough to each other that they both should either be banned or both be legal, and no law will ever be able to be written to restrict a landowner from planting food/bait plots so common sense would say legalize baiting (the pouring method) with no restrictions and just be done with it already. People will figure out how to hunt no matter what the neighbor is doing and if they can't figure it out maybe they shouldn't be trying to hunt in the first place.

24-Feb-17
It only makes sense. Plus I would think it would free up these wardens that we keep hearing are stretched way too thin and are way too busy. Win win for everyone.

24-Feb-17
woodsdweller - Thanks for the CWD lesson. I never knew this. Thanks for the laugh, I enjoyed it.

25-Feb-17
Lets see 150 bushels of corn per acre vs 2 gallons. I cannot bait here in Waupaca but I plant about 10 acres for the critters in Winter. But I cannot put out a gallon to watch the deer out the patio door? 50 ft from the food fields Redclub

25-Feb-17
Yes Redclub it sounds incredible and foolish...

26-Feb-17
WOW, great debate guys! Wish I had an answer but if I did no one would listen anyway. I keep telling people that I have eaten a lot of CWD & it never hurt me. There are many that disagree. I did see the carnage that Hoot was talking about with the CWD dumpsters. Sad part was many of the Deer did have just the loins removed & many deer were taken out & reregistered to get more tags. Not pretty. You would think that Wisconsin wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel as many states have had CWD long before we did. I have hundreds of trail cam pics of Deer licking each other in all parts of there body. That should be enough to spread disease as much as anything. No need to bait here in Columbia County but I did have a 3 acre food plot for 4 years. It seemed to keep some deer a little healthier but the big Bucks were nocturnal to it. Even during the rut. I could shoot Does off of it but I could shoot Does out of any tree on the property. If you sit on it that doesn't help either as you have to leave your tree when the Does are there & they get pretty smart. Piling bait seems wrong but I don't know if it contaminates the ground or not. Not really worth the chance but again I think if a Deer has CWD it will transfer it either way. I have been fortunate enough to do most of my Whitetail hunting where there is a good population of Deer. I do have CWD & EHD but the deer seem to come back fast in an ag. area. I have only had one Wolf pic on the Cams but they are closing in. My personal belief is that CWD has always been here but now they think they know how to test for it. Most of the pics you see of CWD positive Deer seem to be perfectly healthy looking Deer. I do however have a few pics of very sick deer from my hunting spot, not some imaginary spot. I guess that is my 2 1/2 cents worth. I say let them go, let them grow. I'll eat them. No disrespect to any other opinions on here as every area is different.

26-Feb-17
Bloodtrail...Good to see your around yet.

26-Feb-17
albino - I can't disagree much with what you posted.

27-Feb-17
Woodsdweller's posts make the most sense, uses logic and he does his homework.

27-Feb-17
"Obviously if done legally two gallons a day is not enough to hold 10 deer ..."

Except that 'legally' it is 2 gal at any particular instant in time and you can keep hauling more out there all day long to top it up to 2 gal.

But I agree with you Naz, way too many do not limit/concern themselves to/with legalities, in so many hunting issues around here. And the wardens level of interest depends on who you are.

27-Feb-17
Legalize it and go a step further...allow the use of mechanical feeders outside of hunting season. What people do not understand about feeders is the fact that they do not put out 2 gallons at a time. I used to have two of the them (sold them on Ebay) and even when set at the longest spin time it would not throw out more then a large coffee can full. But it was like a dinner bell to the deer, the young deer that is.

• Sitka Gear