Duke 10-Feb-17
Cheesehead Mike 10-Feb-17
Novemberforever 10-Feb-17
03-Feb-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
One of the things I don't like about scoring deer is that it puts a man-made number on one of nature's creations and then because of that a 124 7/8" buck is considered less of a buck than one that scores 125 0/8".

That 124 7/8" buck may be very special to somebody for a variety of reasons but the manmade scoring system says it's not as "worthy" as the 125 0/8" buck.

Regardless, it is what it is and that's the system.

The recent thread on scoring the 8 pointer in the trail cam photo got me thinking that maybe we should do this with a buck that we know the score.

So I'll start it out. Let's see everybody's guess on the score of the buck in my attached photo. Let's keep this fun and non-judgmental. After I get some guesses I'll reveal the actual score. There's one guy who posted on the other thread who knows the score of this buck so he's disqualified from posting ;^)

I invite anybody else to add buck photos to this thread and it would be really cool if we had trail cam photos that we could guess the score of and then kill photos of the same buck and then have the actual score revealed.

03-Feb-17
That's a REALLY nice ten....i'd let an arrow go in a heartbeat. I'm guessing that the score would be about 140 but it's hard in that I haven't seen how the animal wears em'. Looks like a big bodied animal that would sure make MY book. There already have been some disappointed guys that shoot a buck with a bolt then try to enter it into P&Y only to be reminded that P&Y is for archery-killed animals. Guys that shoot em with a bolt have to stick to Boone and Crockett. If that ever changes (I highly doubt it) I will leave P&Y alone....My $.02-LC

03-Feb-17
Nice buck 132 gross, net in the book.

03-Feb-17
129 gross, 125 net. If you can get a buck like that one more yr to 4 1/2 he could potentially get very impressive. Nice buck though.

03-Feb-17
nm

03-Feb-17
nm

03-Feb-17
nm

03-Feb-17
nm

03-Feb-17
Right on mike. I agree fully. I haven't scored a single deer on my wall. Whenever I have a family get together at my house. They are always asking me what this one or that one scores. I'm not good at guessing but I will take a shot. 133 3/8

All of Novembers deer would get a pass from me. I only shoot big deer! ;-)

03-Feb-17
Mike: I will put it at 135 even.

Nice double throat patched buck, NF!

03-Feb-17
RJN: That's a northern WI big woods buck that I only saw once and it's very difficult to pattern them in that big country. You're assuming that he's 3 1/2 years old but we believe he is 4 1/2 although I haven't sent any teeth in to be aged. I've let a lot of bucks walk up there and when I do I rarely ever see the same buck again. The idea of letting P&Y class bucks walk isn't very realistic for the average guy who either hunt big woods public land and/or smaller tracts of private land that doesn't benefit from QDM and is subject to massive gun kill. But like I said, lets focus on guessing scores and keep this fun and non-judgmental.

I'll see if there are a few more guesses before I reveal the score.

03-Feb-17
call this photo magic. this one will really surprise.

03-Feb-17
Officially scored? Reason I ask is the score is typically inflated when it's our own buck. I took my biggest buck in and it scored 158 gross. I told him I scored it at 164 after I shot him. He told me I was basically right on because bigger racked bucks shrink an average of 5 inches in 60 days. So do I say it scored 158 or 164?

03-Feb-17
call this the snow 10

03-Feb-17
Mike-thats a dandy north big woods buck! He looks to have much more mass than the buck on the other thread. I would guess--132. No doubt a shooter for public land. Private land I let him walk if I know there are bigger ones around

03-Feb-17

Here's that same buck hanging. I can't say for sure that he's not a 3 1/2 year old but if he is he might be the heaviest 3 1/2 year old I've seen.

November, those are all great bucks and thanks for posting but the idea of the thread was to post a photo of one buck at a time and have people make guesses at the score, see how we all did and then move on to another buck and try it again.

03-Feb-17
124 7/8" Nice heavy buck Mike! When you give the score can you also tell the story?

03-Feb-17
sorry Mike, Dam did you weigh him? He had to be over 230 dressed. Based on his body i would say 4.5-5.5 yo

03-Feb-17
137 5/8

03-Feb-17

Mindbender's embedded Photo

03-Feb-17
Mb 190ish

03-Feb-17
133 3/8 plus or minus an 1/8 inch of course. 5.5 years old exactly.

03-Feb-17
136 2/8" and he had acorns the day he died.

04-Feb-17
nm

04-Feb-17

04-Feb-17
I happen to look forward to CHM's input on most topics. Definitely someone to learn from. Keep it up!

04-Feb-17
129"

04-Feb-17

05-Feb-17
Bowdeer apparently you did not read this part...... "Let's keep this fun and non-judgmental."

05-Feb-17
It started as a good thread. Just scoring a Deer. Mike puts his time. In. Spends countless hours trying to be a better Bowhunter and Elk hunter. The info he passes on is. Great reads. Always looking forward to his. Inputs along with Elks and all the others on here. Big woods hunting is totally different then. Farmland. Like comparing winter to summer. We all have different options. On stuff let's try to keep. This a great informational site. We will never all agree but. Always fun. To read the posts.

05-Feb-17
142 completely guessing

05-Feb-17
Just my thoughts, I don't think. Anybody on here as fellow Archers/ hunters see each other. As Better or a step above anybody else. , we all go at it in a different way which all works. any any info is priceless. We have to remember. Their could be a future archer. Checking this site out., and to that any advice is good.!

05-Feb-17
I think it's time to reveal your score Mike.

05-Feb-17

05-Feb-17
131 -2/8 Gross 127-7/8 Net

06-Feb-17
Thanks guys and sorry for delay, I got busy over the weekend.

Some good guesses and Braunschweiger is pretty much right on the money with his guess; I wonder if he got some inside info? :^) This buck grossed about 132” and netted about 128”

As I said before, this was a northwoods buck and when you’re hunting that country you might see a total of 10 deer or less in the entire season and it’s extremely unlikely that you’re going to pass up a 10 yard shot at a 130” class buck that weighs about 260 pounds on the hoof. It’s very hard to pattern deer in that country when you’re hunting natural movement patterns so unless you have a bait pile and you know you have a bigger buck visiting on regular basis it’s unlikely that you’d pass this buck. There may be some guys who wouldn’t give a 130” class buck a second look but that’s not very realistic in the northwoods, at least not for me anyway.

longbeard asked for the story, so here goes... I wish I had a more exciting story about the hunt for this buck but it was actually pretty simple the way it came together. There was a large area of oak ridges where the deer were feeding on acorns. Below the ridges there was a relatively flat area and then a large ravine with several smaller tributary ravines that extended like fingers up from the main ravine into the flats below the ridges. The deer would make their way down from the ridges in the morning and filter down into and between the ravines on the way to their daytime bedding areas. The deer rarely passed through in the same area and it was hard to predict their movements. During my in-season scouting I found a very well used scrape and rub line that ran roughly parallel with the main ravine and more or less perpendicular to the up and down movement pattern that the other deer were using to go from the ridges to the bedding area. I figured that the buck or bucks that were working the scrape/rub line made it perpendicular to the travel pattern of the other deer so they could cross the path of the deer that were coming off the ridge and scent check for does.

I hunted that scrape/rub line several times that fall and saw some deer but never saw the buck that I thought was responsible for most of the scrapes and the big rubs.

The following year things were really slow and I hadn’t seen much of anything. I made a quick mid-day scouting run into this area where the scrape/rub line was the previous fall. It didn’t take long to see that the scrapes were tore up again and one of them that I had marked with GPS was even bigger this year. I saw what I needed to see so I got out of the area without disturbing it any more than necessary. The next morning was cold, clear and dead calm. I went in with my climber and set up not far from the biggest scrape on the downwind side of the scrape/rub line based on the forecast wind direction.

Right at first light I heard the buck working a scrape in the distance. Then a few minutes later I heard him working another scrape and I could tell he was getting closer. He was close enough now that I heard him walking in the frosty leaves and I heard him walk to the biggest scrape. I could hear him working the big scrape and I got glimpses of him but I didn’t have a clear shot from the tree that I picked out in the dark. After working that scrape he headed my direction and as he was passing by at 10 yards he stopped briefly like he sensed something or maybe heard my heart beating. He was quartering slightly toward me and I was already at full draw. After the shot he spun and ran in arc for about 80 yards and went down at the top of one of the tributary ravines about 50 yards away. I didn’t have a lot of time to size him up before the shot and I was pretty amped up because the excitement had built as I heard him scraping and working his way toward me. I knew when I finally got a clear look at him though that he was a mature buck with a big body, a good rack and he was a shooter. He weighed 210# field dressed. I felt like I hunted him for 2 years although I only saw him the one time.

I missed Bowdeer's comments; sounds like I might have missed something good. The reason I made the comment about keeping this thread positive and non-judgmental is because I don’t think a buck has to be 150 or 125 class to be important or to mean something to the hunter. I think it’s pretty sad when a hunter, whether he’s young, old or somewhere in between shoots a buck and somebody else chooses to criticize the buck or the hunter because the buck does not score 125” or 150” or whatever the other guy has set for his own personal minimum or expectation. It would be great if everybody passed every buck under 140” but different hunters have different expectations for their hunt and it’s just not realistic for everybody to have the same standards. It’s a lot easier to have high standards when you hunt large tracts of well managed private land where you know what the potential is and you’re relatively certain that smaller bucks will survive. That’s not the reality for a lot of hunters. When I hunt the northwoods I know that I’ll probably never see a buck that I pass again and there’s a good chance that it will be killed by wolves or a bad winter. Around home, on the smaller tracts of private land that I hunt I know that there’s a very good chance that the neighbors will shoot the bucks that I pass. That’s reality. I still pass them, but I realize that they’re probably not going to live to see another hunting season.

Thanks everybody for playing along.

06-Feb-17

I don't know if you guys want to do this again but here's one that I only got one trail camera photo of.

Any guesses on score?

06-Feb-17
I was 1 inch off on your last one. I enjoyed the story too. The key to this story was in season scouting And getting in early.

Bowsters comment was comical. My guess is he was a little jelly! ;-)

I was gonna post a picture but you beat me to it.

Your new picture I would guess right at 124.

Lastly, I will agree when it comes to hunting public land bigwoods. You cannot be too picky on rack size. Reason to set your goal on maturity over rack size. I take my hat off for you mike. I know your not a bragger. But you can put down some great public land whitetails. I know guys here agree with me on that..

06-Feb-17
Nice bucks and a great story, CH. I guess 130 gross for the eight.

06-Feb-17
126 gross 122 net 186 lbs. You've shot some nice bigwoods bucks Mike!

06-Feb-17
Fun thread, nice buck, congrats

06-Feb-17

Thanks guys.

Here are a couple more photos of the last buck for perspective. I'll let a few more guys guess and then I'll give the score.

And then Nocturnal can post a pic if he'd like and we can all make our guesses.

BTW, this one is off the property where I live in Polk County so it's not really a northwoods buck.

And for bonus points see if you can guess the weight...

06-Feb-17
124 7/8

06-Feb-17
126g/122n

06-Feb-17
That's bigger than I thought. 138 would be my guess...

06-Feb-17
140 ???

07-Feb-17
Cheesehead what county do you hunt when you refer to north woods deer.

07-Feb-17

Well, looks like Nocturnal pretty much nailed it with his second guess and maya2003 wasn't far off. Gross score is close to 138 and net is 133.

This buck has long main beams and good mass that is carried throughout the rack. Notice how long the beams are from the burr to where the brow tines come off the beams. The buck next to it on the tailgate is the typical 2 1/2 year old that probably scores 100-105 if the left G2 wasn't broken off.

It's interesting to note that most of the guesses were 10 inches or more too low.

One of the crazy things about this buck is that he only weighed 135 pounds and the two bucks on the tailgate weighed within 5 pounds of each other. I know a lot of it is genetics but I also think it helps show the difference between northwoods bucks that put more of their nourishment into their bodies vs. bucks a little farther south that can put more of their nourishment into their racks due to having an easier life.

Bayfield County maya2003.

Your turn Nocturnal...

07-Feb-17
Well I am at work. I did break down and I measured I buck I got back a couple years ago. The pictures are on my home computer. I'm enjoying this thread. So to keep it going. Mike you can do another one or anyone else can have this one. I'll wait for mine.

07-Feb-17
Sounds good Nocturnal...

Anybody else want to jump in with a photo of a buck that you know the score of?

Otherwise I can post another one...

07-Feb-17

RJN's embedded Photo
RJN's embedded Photo
A few of the bucks I've shot I had officially scored and this is one, any guesses?

07-Feb-17

How about like this...?

07-Feb-17
Thats better

07-Feb-17
Edit: 118

07-Feb-17
124g/120n

07-Feb-17
127 4/8 Gross 125 4/8 Net

07-Feb-17
I would have made a higher guess and I know some pictures are deceiving. This buck looks like it has a 13 inch inside spread.

07-Feb-17

RJN's embedded Photo
RJN's embedded Photo
I can't get the pics to rotate. This buck scored 142 6/8 and net 139 6/8. 18 1/2 spread

07-Feb-17
Wow, the picture is very deceiving. I guessed 20" on the main beams, 8" on the G2's and 16.5" on the inside spread. Nice buck RJN!

It also goes to show that those magic formulas for estimating score don't always work. Charlie Rehor from Bowsite uses the formula of 100" for a basic mature 10 point then take the length of the G4 multiplied by 10 and add it to the 100". Using that formula the estimate of this buck would be about 115" total.

07-Feb-17
Wow is right... maybe a couple more pictures would have helped us on this low ball guess we all made. Lol

I feel I disrespected you with such a low guess haha!!

07-Feb-17
Mike the g4 on right side was over 2 inches, he had almost 11" g2s. If the 4s matched this buck would've had a total deduction of 3/4".

07-Feb-17
Yes, I saw that on the score sheet. With a 2 inch G4 on one side and a 1 inch G4 on the other side that averages out to 1.5 inches for the G4's. Now if you multiply 1.5 by 10 you get 15 and then add it to 100 you get 115 inches estimated gross score using Charlie Rehor's formula. In order for Charlie's formula to work out on your buck it would have to have 4 inch G4's.

07-Feb-17
I agree, the deer posted by RJN above I would have put in the 130 category. Very deceiving as far as width and overall main beam from that particular photo.

07-Feb-17

Here's a good one to guess the score on...

Remember Charlie's formula 100 + (G4x10) = Gross Score.

07-Feb-17
Duke, no fair guessing after the score has been revealed ;^)

I was still a long ways off but I was closest :^)

07-Feb-17
130 gross, 128 net. Very nice 2 yr old.

07-Feb-17
140ish using Charlie's formula

07-Feb-17
138 gross

07-Feb-17
Using the formula it's a 145 deer, however I'd put that one at 128 from those pics...

And yes, I put down my score on the last one late in the game, but I was honest--the reveal was too quick!

I'll have to get some of my score sheets when I am at the cabin next and see if I can find some oddities in there for you!

08-Feb-17
I'm assuming the brows are 2.5-3 inches. Gross 141 and net 137

08-Feb-17

When I started this thread I was thinking that we all might learn something about scoring deer based on photos. I think we have; it’s very difficult… It’s possible for guesses to be 10, 20, 30 or more inches off.

You guys are probably going to be pissed at me because I played a little bit of a dirty trick on you with the last buck. I mentioned Charlie’s formula, which probably led you guys astray and influenced some of the guesses. But my point is that those formulas are not very reliable. Charlie’s formula does not work on RJN’s buck and its way off with this buck.

I’ll admit that this buck fooled me when I shot him. I didn’t have a lot of time to size him up and I didn’t think he was a 140 class buck but I did think he was closer to P&Y class. I shot him on his left side so the left side of his rack was toward me. When I saw the nice row of tines and the long G4 I thought he was bigger than he is. I think what contributed to misjudging him is that he was a small bodied out of state buck weighing in the 130’s and at the time it was one of the few bucks I had shot that wasn’t a big bodied northern Wisconsin buck. So being used to seeing bigger bodied bucks, this one threw me off. If he would have been a 200 pound plus buck and his rack had the same proportionate size to his body he probably would have scored in the 140’s.

He doesn’t score well at all because he has very short main beams, small circumferences and narrow spread. I think the tine lengths are out of proportion compared to the main beam lengths, mass, and spread. Normally you see tine lengths like that on racks with longer main beams, more mass and greater spread. He was a nice 2 ½ year old buck, but not as nice as he looked and he could have been pretty impressive in another year or two.

The actual score of this buck really points out how deceiving photos (and formulas) can be…

08-Feb-17
Well I never believed in a formula. However you did throw in a hat trick. If you would have posted those last two pictures in. I'm confident someone would have gotten within a couple inches.

i know about ground shrinkage too. Years back I shot a buck that had a beautiful right side and a big split G2. Walked up on him to find out he had a weak left side. A buck I thought by score would go maybe 130 turned out to be maybe 90-95.

Carrying a camera now I get to review my footage. So many times I think I saw a fantastic buck only to see it later on screen and it be a two year old.

08-Feb-17

Score is known!

08-Feb-17

Nocturnal's embedded Photo
Sorry can't find the kill photos right now :/

08-Feb-17

08-Feb-17
Pictures are deceiving :-)

08-Feb-17
116g

08-Feb-17
First one on this post I was 125 and pretty close,,, sorry Cheesehead ha ha ha....

November I would give him a little more, but its not 120, I would say 118,,,,, nice buck though,,,,,

this is fun

08-Feb-17
I deleted all my pics here, didnt know the rules but i have a pic nobody including me came within 20. On a wall or live i can get scary close on deer/elk. Pics? Trick photography, low angle, hunter way behind.

08-Feb-17
Mindbender- 140gross, Noc- 118 gross, 13 wide

09-Feb-17

One last pic..

09-Feb-17
Any last guesses? I'll post the score sheet soon. So we can move onto the next one.

09-Feb-17
I'm guessing 127 4/8 Gross, 125 2/8 Net.

140 class plus or minus on Mindbender's

09-Feb-17

He has great mass and symmetry. Which to me made this deceiving.

09-Feb-17
Nocturnal,

There is no H5 measurement. You only get 4 circumference measurements so you need to remove the H5 measurements. And not to nit pick but your differences should add up to 3 3/8" not 2 5/8".

Are you sure about the H1 measurements. I never would have guessed 6", that's pretty massive. You measured the circumference half way between the burr and the browtine, right? I was within a couple eighths on all of the tine lengths but I was low on all of the H measurements. Your H measurements seem a little high or the photo doesn't show the mass...

09-Feb-17
Lol... See... I guess I have to rescore it than. I thought you measured the base. Than measure right below the brow tine. He has great mass all the way through. It won't be 6 inches now.

Probably take away a good 10 inches..

your also right on my deduction error. Kinda sad on my part seeing as math is part of my job!

Sorry guys.. :-/

09-Feb-17
I did a quick read on H measurements. It's not halfway between. You have to find the smallest measurement between each point. Thought I knew how to score a deer. Wah wah wahhhh....

09-Feb-17
You are correct on the smallest measurement between points, and you only get four H measurements no matter how many tines he has...

09-Feb-17
We should have had a "how to score a deer" discussion before these guesses.. lol

Thanks mike

09-Feb-17
I'm feeling pretty good about my first guess on the score of your buck Nocturnal but I'm going to fine tune it a little to 128 6/8 Gross and 125 5/8 Net.

FWIW comparing my first guess to your score sheet, I was only off a total of 5/8 on the G1's, 1/8 on G2's, 3/8 on G3's and 3/8 on G4's.

November, maybe you want to post a picture or two of one of your bucks while Nocturnal figures out his score sheet and we'll take a shot at guessing the score of your buck...

09-Feb-17

grossklw's embedded Photo
I'll bite, for giggles try and guess the weight as well, Mike knows both so nothing outta you! I've never been more than 1" off from an official scorer's on mine or any of my buddies deer so I'm sure I'm at least pretty close.

09-Feb-17
131 gross, 182 lbs. You've never been off by more than an inch? I find that VERY hard to believe but that's ok.

09-Feb-17

Trail cam pics of the week before I killed him as well as Septemberish so you can maybe get a better idea on weight.
Trail cam pics of the week before I killed him as well as Septemberish so you can maybe get a better idea on weight.

09-Feb-17

09-Feb-17

Novemberforever's embedded Photo
Here's one of my sons from 2011. perfect 5x5

09-Feb-17

and here is an example of what a good field photo can do for a rack. I scored this buck 2 weeks later and was off by 20 inches looking at the pic.

09-Feb-17
164 gross

09-Feb-17
gross, i think its a 5x4? 119gross, weight 203 dressed

09-Feb-17
All I have to say is where is the invite November!!?? Lol tankers!! First one I'd guess mid 160.. that sucker is massive... the other one you claim is decieving? 139? I'd guess a little higher but I'm gonna low ball this one..

Hey mike... I think your right. I need to remeasure a couple spots. My guess he is around 125 give or take. Honestly I thought he would score around what I came up with. I high balled him.. Hes one of my better archery bucks too.

10-Feb-17
RJN I'm not stating that to brag and I'm not pulling your leg, I've only scored 8 deer and 1 elk that ended up getting officially scored, and of those 9 officially scored animals the most I've been off is 1" (might be luck, but I at least know I'm close). My buddies usually have me score it before they take it to the official scorer so they don't end up short, I'm conservative in my measuring and usually end up right around an inch short of their official score, with my elk I was 3/8" off on net an 1/2" on the gross score, but ended up high on that one for some reason, could've been drying time I guess. Had one buddies that I had at 124 6/8", kept re-measuring and couldn't come up with 125, official scorer had him squeeking in at 125 1/4", go figure haha.

RJN that is one hell of a guess, grossed 130 7/8", netted 122", November forever you are correct it was 5X4, 2nd tine on his R side is considered an abnormal point and not his G2, so he would be a main-frame 8 pointer with a 5 inch kicker on his R side, obviously a deduction. Main beams and spread were decent on this deer, with a spread 1/8" shy of 20 which helped, but too many deductions for a P&Y buck. He dressed out at 210 pounds and aged at 4.5, biggest/oldest whitetail I've personally killed.

November, I'm going to roll with 162 on your first one and 146 on your next one.

10-Feb-17
I can say that's the 1st time I was 1/8" off from the score. A blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while lol. Nov- 151 gross on 2nd pic.

10-Feb-17
"and here is an example of what a good field photo can do for a rack."-Didn't help his face out though... :)

NF: The 5x5 I would put at 158"???

10-Feb-17
156 4/8 Gross on November's 5x5 photo.

10-Feb-17

My son's 5x5 from 2011 was officially scored140 gross, in the book at 133 and change net. mains 23, inside 17 1/8. The second pick is an example of great field photography. Keep low angle and the hunter needs to be way behind the rack. When I saw this pic i guessed 140, when I taped him 2 weeks later he grossed 118 believe it or not. Here is my sons 2012 buck officially scored. mainframe 8, long g1s, bladed mains for added girth, it nets 139. Interesting how mass on a mainframe 8 can trump extra g4 measurements on a 10.

10-Feb-17

One more example of 8 vs 10. My 10 from november has 11 inch g1s, the wall 8 is 24 inside. The both gross within 1 inch.

10-Feb-17

Heres the 10 with 11 inch g1s

• Sitka Gear