vichris 20-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 20-Feb-17
NMHUNTNUTT1 27-Feb-17
NMHUNTNUTT1 27-Feb-17
Ranger rick 02-Mar-17
DonVathome 02-Apr-17
JCarrowthem 13-Apr-17
05-Feb-17
I have bow hunted 51, but never been in 52 or 6a. I am looking to muzzeloader hunt this time. The research ive done makes these to units look very similar in draw odds and success rates. My 2 buddys apply with me have never taken an elk. Of course like everyone, we would prefer bigger bulls, but want a fun trip. We are in good shape. Anyone have any advice 1 over the other? Thank You! I appreciate any advice.

06-Feb-17
I don't know much about either unit, only that 6a has a bit of wilderness in it. Are you and your friends up for a spike camp/ pack in?

06-Feb-17
I'd throw those in for 1st and 2nd choice w/ a high odds archery hunt 3rd choice.

06-Feb-17
We are willing to do what is needed for a successful hunt. Spike/pack in would not be a problem. All in good shape and willing to work hard. I just want to put them in a situation for an opportunity at a decent bull. One of the guys is looking for a 300+ the other would be happy with any legal animal.

07-Feb-17
6a if your looking for 300in. A few more there than ive saw in 52

07-Feb-17
I'd also say 6A probably has more 300+ bulls than 52 FWIW.

08-Feb-17
Thanks for the advice. I appreciate it!

11-Feb-17
6a for sure.

12-Feb-17
I gotta go just the opposite. I'd be going with 52. I think the bigger numbers are in 52 plus far more huntable area. 6A gets beat to death and it tougher to draw. I would give the edge to 6A for bigger bulls.

13-Feb-17
What's the terrain like in unit 6? Put in for the area in 2017 but only hunted unit 13 before. Is it much different?

13-Feb-17
I done spent plenty of time in both 6a and 13 looking for deers and elks, and I thinks the most important distinction betwixt 6a and 13 can be put like this....

"6a" minus "13" = 3000. And each one of them 3000 is about a foot tall, and they be stacked one on top of the next. :)

14-Feb-17
Bill, so my interpretor said that you're saying more rugged in 6 that 13? ??. Thanks for the insight. Gotta pick up my exercise routine I guess.

14-Feb-17
Unit 6a isn't too rugged depends where you hunt. If you have the days/time pack into the wilderness in 6a. Awesome country with lots of small parks and great hunting.

16-Feb-17
Berrera - good to hear. I've always stayed in shape my entire life, 66 yr old now but still exercise 3 times a week and always good cardio. I had no problems in unit 13 a few years ago with the altitude or the hikes, so even if 6 is a bit more rugged I should be good. Now, I just need a tag.

20-Feb-17
I've hunted both 13 and 6a.....13 is a much more open unit. Much easier to see and not near the altitude. 13 is a lot like most of the Gila units open an fairly easy to get around. 6a is much more alpine mostly heavy timber and thick oak. not nearly as easy to see. forget most glassing techniques. being in good shape is a plus for this unit. its not a bit more rugged it's a lot more rugged with heavy hunting pressure.

20-Feb-17
vichris - thanks for the additional info. Since I'm going with a bow the heavier timber may also help when trying to draw back on an approaching bull. 13 has some very open stretches that make any movement difficult, but you can glass very easily.

27-Feb-17
Ive hunted both units and still try when I can draw.Unit 52 does have a lot of elk, but 300 is generally top end of bulls, yeah they kill some in the 320-330 range but 280-300 is more like it.6A is awesome and if you do hunt San Pedro, a lot less hunter traffic.52 HAS ALOT OF ROAD ACCESS...6A has very limited road access....Both are good units, and both are tough to draw...

27-Feb-17
.s

02-Mar-17
Thanks for all the info. Hard to pick a unit when you have never seen it. Maps and google earth help but good advice from someone who has been there is still the best!

02-Apr-17
I have only hunted 52 3x bow and 1 time ML, I liked it.

13-Apr-17
Don V. would like to talk about unit 52 Thanks John C.

• Sitka Gear