Paul 07-Feb-17
nehunter 07-Feb-17
Al Gambardella 07-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 07-Feb-17
bb 07-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 07-Feb-17
bb 07-Feb-17
06-Feb-17
For a first time guided/outfitter archery spot and stalk hunt, would you recommend Newfoundland moose or western elk? I realize this is not an easy or black and white question but I ask from the perspective of being a CT resident and never having hunted outside the state. An enjoyable lodge and quality take or shipped home meat are priorities as opposed to a trophy rack. Cost is relevant but I'm more interested in overall value than I am a specific dollar amount. A situation where I could bring the wife and kids as non-hunters would be a bonus but I realize that may be tough. Thanks for any thoughts and/or experiences you're able to share. A challenging 2016 at home white-tailed season has got me thinking.

06-Feb-17
I have done both, many times. I have probably got 25-30 Newfoundland hunts under my belt and many more Elk Hunts. If you want to bring wife and kids and have a lodge experience, Newfoundland is the place to go. From CT you can drive to Cape Breton on Nova Scotia and catch a Ferry over to Newfoundland. This is a hunt everyone should do at least Once. Elk hunting to me is not a lodge type experience, to me it's more of a run and gun type hunt and sleep in a tent. They are both an awesome experience with totally different types of terrain. You can't go wrong with either. With either, the more time you can devote to the hunt, the better your chances, in other words, go for the longest amount of time you can. If you can spend two weeks, do it. In newfoundland, you can hunt Moose and Black bear in the same trip, although I would pick one or the other, if you kill a moose, the outfitter may also have bear tags that you can purchase. Some outfitters have caribou tags available, although not many anymore.

06-Feb-17
bb - I can agree with your elk comments. I slept in a small 2 person tent in the middle of Cibola National Forest in a high altitude desert. There's nothing in the areas for 26 miles to nearest big town, so no place family. And by the time you pay for airfare, rental car, the guide, shipping the meat, etc you're looking at $8-$10k depending on the outfitter you hire.

The moose trip sounds like something I may do next year when I'm retired and have the 2 weeks to spend in the woods. Going to start looking into that myself, thanks BB.

06-Feb-17
bb - any recommendation on outfitters in Newfoundland?

06-Feb-17
There are quite a few good ones. One of my best friends owned a lodge there, Victoria Outfitters. he just sold it this past December to a young couple who are planning on expanding and doing a bunch of upgrades, I would check them out. There is a lot of consensus that the fly in Outfitters are the way to go, they tend to be more expensive, because they are operating float planes or helicopters. There is a perception that you get a better hunt because you can access more remote areas. That is sometimes true but not often. Quite often you are accessing areas that are remote from the camp you are leaving but are still accessible by road and ATV. Like I said, a lot of that is perception. There are a few outfitters that fly into areas that really aren't being accessed by vehicles, but not many. I don't know who else to recommend because I have not hunted personally with any others. But I bet if you did some due diligence and checked out outfitter reports and some of the recommendations from the main site you could put a good list together of prospective outfitters to contact. I would still recommend Victoria Outfitters however as I know Dave will be staying on to assist in the transition and give the new owners the benefit of his years of knowledge. The area is loaded with Moose and Bears. There are no Caribou tags available but I have seen the biggest stags I have ever seen the last few years.

06-Feb-17

Brian M. 's embedded Photo
Brian M. 's embedded Photo

Brian M. 's Link
BBB, this is where we went. Going on my 4th trip in 2018. Lots of moose, very comfy lodge, hospitality is awesome. Although I've taken my bow all three times, the two bulls I shot were with the gun. I'm sure there are other outfitters that are more bow accommodating. But, we had a blast. They will work real hard to put you in front of an animal. If you're looking for a "trophy" bull, it may not be the place for you. But, there are trophies everywhere on the island.

This one was trophy enough for me, he's on my wall. They take up a lot of space.

06-Feb-17

bb's Link
Here is a link to the Ferry Service from Sydney Nova Scotia to Port aux Basques, NL

06-Feb-17

nehunter's Link
I just booked a Moose hunt Saturday. They were booked solid for 2017, so made it for 2018. I chose http://www.tuckamorelodge.com/index.php/58-features/155-tuckamore-lodge-hunting

06-Feb-17
Going to Newfoundland in September with my buddy for a moose hunt with effords

06-Feb-17
Al do you know what camp your hunting with effords

07-Feb-17
nehunter - Tuckamore looks like high luxury for a moose hunt, what do they charge? Didn't see any rates listed. That would be a good one if my wife decided to go with me.

07-Feb-17
Take a look at the moose page bob thinks it 5600 or so

07-Feb-17
bbb - Their all-inclusive price for a 6 day hunt is $5805 Not sure the cost if you bring a non hunter.

07-Feb-17
Kilduff18 it is the ground base camp 3rd week of September

07-Feb-17
Sounds like the moose hunts are about the same cost as an elk hunt without the airfare and rental car, but with the ferry ride and gas for my truck. I love the taste of a moose and they respond to calling, so it's on my list of things to do. Going to look into it for 2018

07-Feb-17
Plus if your outfitter has extra tags, you can buy additional tag (s). If you kill one early and want to spend some more money

07-Feb-17
Wow! What would you do with two moose besides plus a chair to the table and dig in?

07-Feb-17
My wife always manages to find enough people to give the meat away to.

• Sitka Gear