Cheesehead Mike 07-Feb-17
Per48R 07-Feb-17
razorhead 07-Feb-17
razorhead 07-Feb-17
Cheesehead Mike 08-Feb-17
South Farm 08-Feb-17
Mindbender 08-Feb-17
07-Feb-17
When do you start scouting? Does it pay to start scouting this early?

07-Feb-17
Anytime you have time is a great time to scout.

When there is snow. I like to go to areas I know somewhat and I follow tracks.

When the snow is gone that's when I am looking for new ground.

Scout, scout, and scout some more. :-)

07-Feb-17
We don't have big woods so I'm waiting until the horns hit the ground and then I will go for long walks and scout. With only 2-4 inches of snow on the ground here its going to be easy getting into areas I haven't seen since early fall.

07-Feb-17
I agree that anytime you can scout is better than not scouting at all. For me the main thing is snow cover. I want the ground to be bare or nearly bare so I can see scrapes.

The best time for finding sheds is probably yet to come, but I'm not as concerned with finding sheds as I am with scouting and finding sign and learning the lay of the land.

I should draw Iowa this year and I'm thinking about heading down there to do some scouting very soon. It might be a littler early to find sheds but most of the state doesn't have any snow cover so I'll be able to see the sign from last fall. Spring gets very busy for me so I think it's worth it if some scouting can be done in the winter when there's not as much going on.

07-Feb-17
Scouting now is a great way to get some exercise. Deer trails are extremely obvious to see. Rubs still show up well. With the leaves down, it is easy to see what trees might hold a stand. It is also easy to see the lay of the land (topology) this time of year.

I grab my GPS and walk as many heavy tails as possible and save them to the GPS. I mark every group of rubs to help determine the buck from the doe trails.

Turkey season isn't too far away, so you can scout for turkey also.

07-Feb-17
Hey Mike, speaking from experience, and maybe you have hunted Iowa before, but guys here fail to realize, just how early green up Iowa has,,,,, I mean late March, and its well budded out down in some areas..... Feb is the best month to scout, in that area and maybe up to March 15th.......

Scouted Tama County with a guy last year, for his hunt this year, he could only go, in late march early April, and man it was getting thick along that Iowa River...... PS He shot a nice buck, out of one spot, I suggested, so he gave me some back straps,,, ha ha ha

07-Feb-17
I agree with Mike, I want to find them scrapes, but the early snow, is when you can track them, and by that, I mean back track them.... Now you get into areas, that you may have over looked,,,,,, make a map, mark those spots well, now when the snow is gone, your not wasting time, get back into the good, go to areas, and find them scrapes, if you can.....

I also, will follow rub lines endlessly, must have too much time on my hands, ha ha

08-Feb-17
Thanks for the pointers razorhead. This will be my first time scouting Iowa so I appreciate the info.

08-Feb-17
I never stop. It's a year-round hobby of mine.

08-Feb-17
It's a year around thing ,anytime you can gather more info. The better, finding a big shed. Is a good start to what's in your area. , farmers n mail men. Are great. Their always out. N might tell you what they are seeing. !

• Sitka Gear