ColoBull 04-May-17
pop-r 04-May-17
Brun 04-May-17
ColoBull 04-May-17
DB999 05-Jun-17
MathewsMan 05-Jun-17
Treeline 05-Jun-17
07-Feb-17
Been getting Preference Pts. Since I was 12. Looking to go on an Elk hunt. I think I can get into almost any unit other than unit 2. Worth waiting a couple more years for 2 or is 10 all it's hyped up? Going to be doing a lot of scouting/research once I pick a unit but anyone out there recently hunted some of these top units? Thanks

24-Mar-17
Not sure what season(s) you are looking at hunting but there are quite a few hunts that can't be touched with 18 pts other than Unit 2. I suppose if you're a resident that would help dramatically.

24-Mar-17
18 years of accumulating points and you haven't picked a unit? All of the top tier units will produce opps at good bulls for the hard working hunter. What are your goals? Have you been hunting elk your whole life?

24-Mar-17
10 has good bulls. 2 has good bulls. 201 has good bulls. 61 has good bulls.

What type of hunt are you looking for?

24-Mar-17
Your still 4-5 years minimum behind 2 or 201 for a Resident Archery tag with only 18 PP's.

24-Mar-17
I recently confirmed the above with my 19 Resident points. A friend got lucky & got into Unit 201 last year with 21 resident points. He said all the other hunters he met were at 22 points. PP creep has been about 1 every 2 years, meaning I'd probably have to get lucky to get into 201 in about 3 to 5 years. I don't know if my legs & body are going to hold out that long. I'm leaning towards Unit 2, which is likely still a year or two out, and paying a trespass fee.

24-Mar-17
I have hunted elk probably 10 of the past 18 yrs - OTC in either Wyoming or Colorado. I am a resident of CO. If it were last year I think I would have barely made unit 10, easily drawn 61, a little behind 2 and 201 (and probably longer than a little with the pt. creep). I'm looking for a hunt with a lot of nice bulls - don't need anything huge, I highly doubt I'd pass anything 300+ on this hunts. Killed one 5 pt with my bow (I'd guess 250-260 inch?), a couple other elk with a gun when I was young and missed a couple bulls in my teens with my bow. I really just want to see the most 300 inch bulls I can - don't need a 350+. In good shape and willing to work for it.

24-Mar-17
Based on your goals above, archery 61 this year. No need to wait for 2 or 201 with what you described wanting.

27-Mar-17
Based on what you described I feel like you have waited too long to hunt. There are plenty of good places you could kill a 300 bull without waiting 18 years. You've waited too long to not go after a giant. My opinion. Good luck either way man.

27-Mar-17
Based on last year, you could have drawn 1 or 10. Either could turn up a really good bull and be a good hunt. You will probably only get one chance in your lifetime to hunt one of those NW units the way the points keep going up.

61 sounds like a very fun hunt with lots of action and plenty of bulls in that 300-310" class, with a few bigger bulls (340+) out there.

2 took 20 and 201 took 21 last year. Figure point creeping at about 1/2 point per year for those units and you are still looking at 3 to 4 years out for 2 or 6+ for 201. Not sure if they are worth the wait over 1 or 10.

Pretty sure I am going to drop my 23 points on Unit 2 this year. Seems like more options for hunting areas than in 201 and the same kind of top end for bulls. May not be as much fun as 61 for number of bulls, but the top end is better. It is a once in a lifetime kind of deal so hope to make the most of it (pretty sure I am not going to build points into my 80's to draw it again!). If I also draw moose this year, the elk tag gets turned in and I can draw again next year.

28-Mar-17
It is raining up here in the NW corner- if it is a wet spring like the last 2 years have been, watch out the horns are going to be like they were in 2005... This is definitely a year to hunt Elk in the NW corner, the harvest last year due to hot dry weather was minimal.

01-Apr-17
Like Treeline said you are a good number of years away from 2 or 201. There are about 40 guys ahead of you for 201 based on the stats the last few years for 6 tags. Points are going to creep a full point a year for the next 6+ years in 201. I'm at 21 points now and I remember thinking I was 2 years away from drawing 10 years ago.

Unit 2 there are about 20 guys ahead of you so you may draw in 3 or 4 years.

01-Apr-17
I'd go to unit 10 if I was you.

01-Apr-17
You mentioned that you are "looking to go on an elk hunt". Have you hunted elk before? If not, you should definitely get a few OTC elk hunts under your belt before you burn those points. Those units you're considering are known for big bulls, not for "easy" hunting. I know several guys in recent years who hunted 2 and 201 with limited elk experience and were very frustrated seeing big bulls but not knowing how to close the deal, and they struck out. We hunted 2 three years ago with 38 years of elk bowhunting experience each, and it was a difficult and challenging hunt.

You're a few years away from drawing 2. Use that time to learn elk hunting and learn from mistakes made on raghorns, not on the bull of a lifetime. You'll be glad you did.

02-Apr-17
Lots of good advice here and you have some good options. Judging from your comments about wanting to see a lot of good bulls, 300" range, I think 61 would be a great hunt for you. Also agree with Matthews Man that it could be a good year for antler growth. it's been pretty wet and looks like more rain and snow on the western slope the next few days. Out of curiosity I looked up stats from NW corner last year and harvest was actually very similar to last few years. The archery bull harvest in 2, 10, and 201 for 2016 was 25. In 2015 it was 23, and in 2014 it was 29. The total bull harvest in those three units for 2016 was 135. It was 136 in 2015 and 132 in 2014. So it was actually pretty even each of the last three years. Good luck and let us know what you decide. Only a coupe of days left

24-Apr-17
if I had 18 points.. I would go for unit 10

04-May-17
So, when is my (now) 20 pts likely to get me into unit 2? Next year? '19..., '20...? I'm running out of patience.

04-May-17
After just looking at the data I seriously doubt you will draw 2 within the next 5 years. Most likely longer.

04-May-17
ColoBull, I have also looked at the data and I think you will draw unit 2 in less time than pop-r estimated. Last year 6 out of 6 residents drew with 20 points. There were 9 people that applied with 19. If those same 9 applied this year and no one with more points jumped in, 6 would draw with their 20 points this year, and 3 would not. Of course we don't know yet who applied, some more people who have been just getting points may have, but it's also possible that all 9 from last year didn't apply. A few more from your pool 20 next season will probably also apply. You will have a lot more information in a few weeks when we see what happens this year. In any case you should have a small chance in two years, 2019, and a good chance in 2020, and obviously a lot better in 2021. As I sad earlier, this year's numbers will give you a lot more info. Good luck.

04-May-17
Thanks, Brun. That's what I was thinking - it's all in the "luck of the draw" - who's spending what points, & when. My friend, who drew 201 last year with 21 pts last year, is a good example. No doubt he got lucky. I may not get lucky in unit 2 next year, but odds are I won't need much "luck" in the followiing few. Decyphering the stats isn't my strong point. You're info is enlightening - thank you.

05-Jun-17
Thanks for all the great advice, as I mentioned I have been hunting elk around 11 years OTC in Colorado and Wyoming for the past 20 years definately messed up on my share of elk. Based on my research and input from you all, I decided to put in for unit 61 and drew my tag.

For now my plan is to return the tag for my points back and waiting until next year because as luck would have it I also drew the only Archery Bull Moose Tag for Unit 28. There are 4 muzzle loader tags as well. Trying to decide if I fight them opening week or have the unit to myself the second week (at least have the only bull). Anyone have experience in this unit? I've got 3 scouting trips pegged out for August and would love for someone to scribble on a map for me before then if willing.

05-Jun-17
A guy I'm looking to help out did not draw Unit 2 non-resident Rifle going in with 26 points- now he's at 27

05-Jun-17
DB999 - congratulations on two great tags! I would definitely consider turning in the elk tag and focusing on the moose! The Colorado moose season structure really sucks with regard to having the muzzle loaders start the same day as archery. Really need to change that. Would also make sense to extend it for any weapon (like at least one month and 2 months would be better!) and have an archery only period prior to the any weapon season. For a once in a lifetime tag, CPW sure screws it up.

• Sitka Gear