Jeff in MN 10-Feb-17
Zim1 10-Feb-17
buckmaster69 12-Feb-17
Ranger rick 12-Feb-17
Ranger rick 12-Feb-17
Ranger rick 12-Feb-17
Zim1 14-Feb-17
08-Feb-17
I have 6 pts now after not being drawn again. I applied for the Pierce County area. I called the dnr and left a message, but they havnt returned my calls. Does anyone know how many points it takes to get a nr 1st or 2nd season spring turkey tag?

08-Feb-17
You might be better off going online and chatting with someone. They seem to be able to answer the questions better than leaving someone a message. Good Luck!

08-Feb-17
you are either number four on the list for the drawing if you are a nonresident landowner or number 5 (last place in the drawing) in a not a nr landowner. Odds are you will never draw a 1st or second season tag, even if you had 1,000 preference points.

08-Feb-17
• Permit Drawing System: Turkey permits are distributed by a drawing using a cumulative preference system that determines when applications go into the drawing. Spring and fall applications are tracked separately. Preference is as follows*: 1) Resident landowners with 50 or more contiguous acres; 2) Residents with one or more preference points for the same season; 3) All other residents; 4) Non-resident landowners; 5) Other non-resident applicants

08-Feb-17
yep, an nr has no chance@ period 1 or 2 as it should be.

08-Feb-17
Thanks Guys for those of you with positive responses and answers. i counted (the best i could), 64 birds in one of the fields were i deer hunt . There were even more on neighboring fields. I guess my daughter and i wont be enjoying a gobble filled am there. Good Luck to those who did draw.

09-Feb-17
Rr, sorry if you thought my response was not positive, just the cold hard truth. I am an nr landowner and would never put in for period 1,2. No chance ever.

09-Feb-17
I don't understand why season 1 or 2 would be so important to you. In my opinion the birds respond better a little later than that. Combine that with being able to hunt more frequently and it was always a no brainer to me. Maybe you can grab a leftover tag yet this year, I don't think that affects your preference points. With so many birds in your area I can't imagine there is any benefit to going early.

09-Feb-17
I agree with Jeff, even as a resident, it was years before I got my first choice, and learned to hunt the later seasons,,,,after doing that, when I got my first choice, I was dealing with lousy weather,,,,,, in my opinion, overall the third period is the best, but man you can get a tag, with all the left overs, are you kidding me,,,,,,,

Last year outdoor writer and TV guy, Dan Small according to an article he wrote, besides hunting NY, he had 12 tags alone for Wis, buying that many left overs ....

I think you can get a tag, good luck.......

09-Feb-17
Ranger rick, Oh wow I'm sure you had to misunderstand the draw system to accumulate ANY points as a NR. I've never even thought about it. There are plenty of mature toms on most every public property I've ever hunted in WI. Hunted about 10 different properties in 4 zones, due to my work. I have favorites now and I could care less what season they are. The toms are always there. Only difference is I need to conceal myself better during the late seasons D, E & F. I draw the earliest tag I can get each year in my fav zone, with 3rd choice any season. Then pick up 4-5 leftovers. I'm into toms on all my hunts. You are missing out. Grab some leftovers, head out and brush in your blinds, no dekes. Hunt travel lanes. Very easy. Best part is I rarely have any competition in the late seasons. Good luck.

09-Feb-17
Zone 1 has 4111 leftover tags for period C permits available. You can hunt this spring. Just buy one in March.

09-Feb-17
November, i aplogize, i did think you were taking a shot at me. There is a good group here and i really enjoy hearing the stories and advice.

09-Feb-17
In the early days of turkey hunting I was fixated on season 1 or 2. Like razor said the weather was often poor, cold and snow. Plus the Toms were not all that active yet. Once I started to go for seasons 3 or 4 things got much better. Another mistake most turkey hunters make is to go out early to catch them coming down from their roost. After years of that not working and usually getting my bird between 10:00 and 1:00 I started to head out at 9:00. The toms are going to tend to his hens that come to him before he goes out looking for them on his own. Exception to that might be on popular public land. I have never hunted turkey on public land so not familiar with what goes on there during turkey season.

09-Feb-17
I hunted turkeys 1 time in Wisc. On a late hunt. The birds were very unresponsive. It was however a very early spring that yr. I thought earlier would be better. Hopefully, i can get a leftover tag for her. Thanks again for the advice

09-Feb-17
Fyi, this year going forward the season was pushed back a week so period 2 is now period 3 and so forth. Imo period 1,2 was always much easier. Now period 3=the old period 4.

09-Feb-17
If you want her to hunt early, take her out during the youth season the week before the opener. She can hunt that season with a late season over the counter tag if she is young enough

09-Feb-17
We did that a few times when she was younger. She shot a few dandies. Now she is to old to qualify. If we dont get a leftover in Wi. We have a shot at a Mn. tag. they have increased their tags so drawing isnt as hard as it once was.

09-Feb-17
I never get period 1 or 2 tags. It's a waste of time for me. I like the later seasons and later in the day.

It just works better for the way I hunt and a lot less pressure around me.

Good Luck!

09-Feb-17
After the long winter I'm ready to get after the Tom's the 1st of April. If it's bad weather I still like being out there and I can buy a tag for 3rd, 4th, 5th, or 6th season in zone 1.

09-Feb-17
Rr, I think you just need a bigger sample size that's all. I've observed toms gobbling their heads off all the seasons I've hunted, including F. Most in the same trees every morning and even evenings. Where I prefer, the toms roost in the timber on public, and feed in fields on the adjoining private. I patterned their travel routes in between and set up always without dekes. The late season pressured toms always either blew out or avoided my dekes by ~60 yards. I call very rarely just to try and entice. The other highly effective strategy on educated late toms is to set up on active dust bowls. Grab a few leftovers and give several public land a try until you find one you like. It won't take long.

09-Feb-17
Thanks zim. We will give it another shot. Just feel dumb for not looking into the draw more closely. Always thought " for sure this yr." Like most states i apply for for elk and deer, You gotta build pts to get the best tags. I assumed it was the same for Wi. Turkeys.

10-Feb-17
FYI anyone with the urge to take a turkey in Minnesota you have a way easier drawing system with many over the counter options.

Archery licenses are over the counter, and one license is good for all seasons.

For a gun license there is no permit lottery for the final four hunting time periods: C = April 26-May 2, D = May 3-9, E = May 10-16, F = May 17-31. All licensed hunters can hunt during the last (F) time period if they have not tagged a turkey during their earlier time period. Permits for time periods C-F are all sold over the counter at Electronic Licensing System vendors.

10-Feb-17
Rr, Ya me too. I got over 20 points in some states. Finally burning my CO elk this season. So I also took your approach the first time I considered WI turkey 10 years ago. The lottery regulations confused me a bit so I PMed a friend that I knew hunted there. He clarified it for me real fast by summing up NR turkey points as basically worthless, and never get one. Use your pick to get as early a season as you can and that's it. After hunting there every year since, I love their tag distribution system. Very affordable with many public property options.

My first year I hunted eight properties in four different zones to get a good idea how the bird populations & hunter pressure varied. I found hunter pressure way too high around the publicized Wisconsin River corridor. Other than that minimal. Found the more obscure properties had my style. I got favorites now, but still try new ones sometimes depending on my work locations.

12-Feb-17
Well living in Wisconsin my whole life. I love the way the DNR gives out the permits. 85% approval rating and in March I can get all the extra tags I want.

12-Feb-17
I have learned alot on this post. (Mostly how bad ive screwed up). Hahaha. One of my best friends lives in Wisc. and ownes 4 farms. He has let my family hunt a 160 acre farm for the last 14yrs. I take him fishing in Mn he lets me hunt. Works out great. Very blest. It is our Happy Place. I do love coming to Wisc. The dnr must be doing a good job. Seems to be alot of game.

12-Feb-17
Zim. Sounds like You are going

12-Feb-17
Zim. Sounds like You are going to have alot of fun in the next few yrs. Im getting close in Az, Utah and Col. for decent tags. Dont think i will reach the top units though with point creep. Hoping to get lucky in NM. This fall.

14-Feb-17
Rr, Actually I drew better tags 1996-2006 before magazines like HF, EJ, Epic, GoHunt publicized the state limited entry draws and online applications exploded. Yes I have some high points in many states left but actually I still lose ground each year due to point devaluating schemes and guys coming out of the woodwork for my targeted units. These lottery systems are unsustainable and all will collapse soon. Thus I'm bailing and getting the best hunts I can each year now. My CO choice was a downshift but I'm not getting screwed by another scheme.

WDNR should just scrap turkey points for NR. I think it just deceives newbies. They have no value but there's no need. Plenty of great tags can be drawn with no priority plus plenty of leftover tags available as well. No shortage.

• Sitka Gear