N8tureBoy 14-Feb-17
Oneeye 15-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 15-Feb-17
Richm444 15-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 15-Feb-17
cuntrytocity 15-Feb-17
08-Feb-17

notme's Link
http://www.nhregister.com/general-news/20170208/malloy-budget-sets-huge-increases-for-gun-permit-fees

08-Feb-17
When is he up for reelection ? We need that sob out of this state

08-Feb-17
What a joke. He's a real pos. Honestly I cant stand him ... Even before this thread was posted

08-Feb-17

notme's Link
Was thinking of sending Malloy this..maybe he'll get it

08-Feb-17
Wo Wo Wo.. I may live in a rich town but the money somehow stopped at me.. I make $12 an hr and pay 1,040 to rent. If I have enough for a McDonald's Hamburg at the end of the week we can call that a good one!!

09-Feb-17
SWK - thanks for the humor, love the joke, except it's way too close to the truth. Malloy is the biggest ass this state has every seen, next to Weicker. I couldn't stand to hear his voice, let alone the stupid decisions he made.

09-Feb-17
the democrats have huge numbers in the cities and they dominate our political direction.

they do whatever they want totally without restriction hence they will soak their political adversaries without any concern or repercussions.

Think about how perfect that policy is. Gun permit holders are almost entirely opposed to Malloy politically and so he just slams us with exorbitant taxes and fees and there is NOTHING we can do except move.

They don't care that GE moved away as well as other companies.

I absolutely love where I live here but this is out of control. The wife even said she will consider North Carolina - how is the deer hunting down there ? Dad says he doesn't see as many as in Connecticut

09-Feb-17
Rich - we just had 2 engineers retire at our place and both went to NC. I pasted in the info from the NC wildlife unit, looks like dad is hunting the wrong spot in NC.

NC's whitetail deer population is around one million with 144,315 deer taken in 2005 •NC deer hunters enjoy a near 50% success rate •NC has large areas with more than three antlered bucks are harvested per square mile and with many of those being trophy quality. There are NC areas with over 45 deer per square mile.

09-Feb-17
Sky thanks N lmao

09-Feb-17
A buddy from here (MA) moved to NC for work. Got a great house with 20 acres for less than his log cabin on 5 acres here, and has described the hunting as "easy", he literally has a stand in a tree on his drive way and shoots a deer any time he wants to hunt it. Almost sounds to easy.

09-Feb-17

cuntrytocity's embedded Photo
cuntrytocity's embedded Photo
For your information SWK, your tax dollars aren't needed to take care of us unfortunate souls in the inner city. You can be as racist as you choose, but let me help you to be an informed racist versus an ignorant racist.

Most of the black people I know, myself included, we get up and go to work every day just as you do. My kids, my family and friends, we don't receive or ask for anything from you, we get it ourselves. Come off your high horse and stop perpetuating myths, and hopefully you aren't in a position of authority, I'd seriously question if you'd be objective in pursuit of your duties.

This is my weekly pay from working six to seven days a week, so you know where you can shove your tax dollars.

09-Feb-17
Hunting/Fishing license fees won't be far behind.. He went on TV saying he won't increase taxes.. Never said anything about fees.. The the hell is the difference?

09-Feb-17
This is utterly obnoxious

09-Feb-17
Cuntry - I grew up in the projects in New Britain, at 652 Slater Road. I played with every race, creed and color. All of us were living in government subsidized housing. There's was nothing racists about being poor and getting help. Everyone there was working hard to get out of the projects and find the American dream.

But today the government GIVES the poor (not black, white, or grey) so much that they can't afford to go to work for minimum wages. This is a case of giving a man a fish vs teaching him how to fish. The government made the monster. What SWK is complaining about is not racist, it's about the middle class paying too much of our hard earned money for others, no matter what color. This is a socio-economic issue, not a race issue.

09-Feb-17
BBB well said

09-Feb-17
BBQ, I know you mean well, but after 47 years of life, I know exactly what he was saying. You're all entitled to your opinion, but I know what I read and I know exactly what was being implied.

Culturally, we're different, our beliefs and life experiences are different, but I accept each of you for who you are and I would hope for the same in return. Our politics are different and I accept that, but what we want for our kids and families, probably makes us all one in the same.

I came to Connecticut from Florida with two suitcases and little else, so I know about hard work and determination. I didn't see anything in that post regarding work ethic, I saw an entire city being denigrated based on a perception, a wrongly based one at that. I can't tell a man how to think or who to like, but at the very least, have an informed opinion regarding the very things you feel strongly about.

09-Feb-17
The irony of the situation is annual fees of $400 will most likely disenfranchise the poor and low income who tend to live in the highest crime areas of the state. Malloy will be disarming those who need personal protection the most. I'm sure it's planned that way though. Who you gonna run to when you need help if you can't protect your self?

09-Feb-17

notme's Link
Josey wales and 10 bears say it best

09-Feb-17
Oh one final thing. Everyone loves to blame Malloy and he deserves it but nothing passes in this state unless other politicans vote for it. Check your local voting district and see who votes for and against things. I specifically remember when the the recent guns laws were proposed after sandy hook my local politican said phone calls were 10 to 1 against voting for the laws. Guess which why that politican voted? Don't worry she is still in office and voted for the laws screwing most of her constitutants. Keep blaming Malloy while the rest pick our pockets.

09-Feb-17
Notme, that's my all time favorite Eastwood movie, particularly when he spits before killing someone. I also enjoyed the Old Indian, he really did a good job acting.

Oneeye, you have a valid point.

09-Feb-17
Cuntry - don't mean to belabor this point, but I was born, raised and work in New Britain my entire life. Went to elementary school, jr high, high school and college at CCSC (was not a university back then) and I've worked in New Britain at Stanley for 44 years. So that's 66 years of being part of the city.

I think it's unfortunate that we still have these pre-judgements between races. Do you know that 40% of the people on government assistance are white, and only 25% are black? So if SWK or anyone else makes a comment about people on government assistance why do some minds immediately go where yours did? I know the answer. It's because prejudice white people say it's the other way around. They're uneducated!!

Please don't get turned off by those comments. The acts of politicians are very emotional topics these days especially when it comes to money, and I wish people would just try to find the solutions to our differences rather than point them out and exaggerate them. All the best.

Dirty Harry is the best Eastwood movie. Must have watched that 100 times.

09-Feb-17
Malloy missed the movie Robin Hood- Takes from the poor and gives to rich

10-Feb-17
Malloy will take from anyone and everyone, rich, poor and anyone in-between. He's done nothing for years except tax and spend and now he has a hole so deep he's forced to take drastic measures to keep the state afloat. This state needs what the middle part of this country voted for in the presidential race. Someone who's not a politician to run the state. Maybe Trump is not polished politician with all of the middle road speeches and politically correct language, but I say give him a chance. Having worked in the private sector my entire life I can tell you that I've had bosses who were a lot worse with their comments than Trump, but did an excellent job. Politicians have become the aristocrats of our society. When did it become possible for a politician to become rich while in office? That's not what public service was intended to do, that's why it's called "PUBLIC SERVICE". The motto for our state should be "Open your wallet and bend over"

10-Feb-17
Bob, while we may not agree on certain things and I stand firm in what I stated, I've always respected you for your honesty and character, and I find you to be quite honorable in that regard. I'm aware of the statistics you stated, I'm an avid reader of most news articles related to politics and social issues. I'm aware of the opiate epidemic that's currently affecting so many good families through no fault of their own. I go back to the Carter era, Reagan and Tip O'Neill, the Gary Hart scandal, Newt Gingrich's Contract with America. You're spot on in your opinion of politicians in general and I couldn't agree with you more. And that's especially of true of both parties, because they don't have middle class America's best interests at heart. I'm a big Tom Clancy fan and read much of his early works and he talked about how we need to elect the everyday people in our lives, the teachers, small business owner, the doctors, the guy or gal who owns the local construction company or people we know in general who possess the integrity and character to resist the temptation of the absurd amount of money in politics, because whether you're a democrat or republican, they're all bought and paid for. Forgive me for my rant, and thanks for your honesty BBB, even if we have to agree to disagree.

And yes, I've watched the Outlaw Josey Wales an unlimited amount of times and its always as if I'm watching it for the first time. My favorite Eastwood movie by far. Unforgiven was damn good, but I didn't appreciate it until years later, because it was a different type of Eastwood in that one.

10-Feb-17
Cuntry - appreciate the comments and your honesty as well. Like I said, talking about these types issues leads to understanding. I have a niece in prison right now due to here addiction issues with heroin that started with oxy prescribed by a doctor. Prison is the wrong place for these people, they need detox and counseling, not prison cells. How can our society say addiction is a disease and then lock up someone suffering from the illness? It makes no sense to me.

Unforgiven - forgot all about that one, also a great Eastwood flick.

10-Feb-17
BBB, in regards to your statement about the percentage of people on assistance by race. You say only 25% of blacks are but you also have to realize maybe 20% or less of total population are black so in fact that is a big number compared to 44% white which makes up 80% of population. Not trying to be racist just getting the numbers straight.

10-Feb-17
I saw it with crack in the 80's and 90's and I grew up in a lower middle class neighborhood and I recall my Mothers best friend got hooked on it and I remember them losing everything and to this day, they haven't recovered as a family. I'm fully in agreement that counseling and in-patient treatment for substance abuse is the answer. I worked on the drug team while in the army and I've seen first hand what strict sentencing guidelines and the war on drugs has done to families. It just doesn't work in my opinion and they come out of prison worse than when they went in. I'm not saying they should be coddled and someone should hold their hand, but we lock up people too quickly and for the wrong reasons.

What happens with the pills is that they get hooked on them and when they can't afford it, they graduate to the heroin, not understanding heroin is probably the most addictive drug known to man. Most families in America are being affected by this, regardless of color. My aunt on my father's side, she got caught up on the pills many years ago and she isn't the same. I feel your pain Bob, and I'm sure there are others on here dealing with the same issues. Best of luck to your niece.

10-Feb-17

notme's Link

10-Feb-17
spike - thanks for the clarification, but my point was not to get caught up in the numbers so much as to point out that many people believe it's a "race" problem when in fact it's not. If you or anyone else is concerned about people on government assistance taking your hard earned dollars than what does it matter what the base population is by race? "X" number of people taking your money is the problem as I see it.

10-Feb-17
Well I just sent a letter to Bob Duff to see what he thinks about this increase in price .I told him maybe cut down on State employees how use State cars ,and that's why so many older people who lived here all there life have to move . lets see what he says . Steve

10-Feb-17
steve - touched on a pet peeve mine. Why do state workers get cars?? I can understand it if you're a DEEP official and need an official vehicle with lights and logos, but for some clerk do go from office A to office B? Really?!

10-Feb-17
BBB - A few years ago I passed a snowplow on the highway and noticed that 2 state employees were inside. This was on a holiday, so with time and a half we were actually all paying for 3 employees to drive the plow. Private companies seem to manage just fine with one guy per truck. Can't blame the second guy in the state truck for taking advantage of a good opportunity to get paid to ride shotgun, but is it any wonder that Connecticut is a billion dollars in the hole? I emailed the DOT to ask what the reasoning was behind this and never got a reply.

10-Feb-17
Supposedly it's for when the driver gets tired..i plow 16hrs straight before I get the shakes...caffine and nicotine keeps me going

11-Feb-17
All the guys I know who plow seem to do fine on their own like you, and drivers of 18 wheelers also seem to do just fine riding alone (except of course for Clint Eastwood, who had Clyde, and BJ who had Bear.... As I recall, truckers with monkey sidekicks were popular in the 1970's) Would be a lot cheaper for the state to just pay for coffee an nicotine patches for the plow drivers, or do I dare say ...hire monkeys to ride shotgun and save us all the expense of pensions and health insurance.

11-Feb-17
Or we can just spend $250 million to upgrade the xl center. That will solve it all duh

11-Feb-17
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/e9/0e/90/e90e90a9390adaa30f7f0b550f5e2540.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/cd/90/f6/cd90f6dc627ef359765ee692cde26d43.jpg

11-Feb-17
Maybe a fancier XL center will give people in New Britain a reason to fill the empty Fastrack busses we are still paying for...

11-Feb-17
Or maybe the $30 million(I think more) for the new train station in one of the most dangerous parts of Bridgeport less than a mile from the other bridgeport station and Stratford station...

11-Feb-17
And they call us crazy

12-Feb-17
If Malloy jacks up the hunting-fishing license fees he cannot use the money in the general fund those fees must be spent on Fish and Wildlife only otherwise they lose all Federal grant money under Pittman Robinson, Dingle-Johnson. So I would not expect that.

Remember when he considered closing a fish hatchery - most likely that was highly funded by Federal gran money so that concern went away quickly. If he could screw over the sportsmen he would do so in a second do not doubt that.

Many years ago I was part of a Federal audit team that went around auditing the states so I became familiar with the grant regulations. The proper accounting and spending of those funds has been an issue of concern and I am unaware that it got any public attention.

My assignment was the state of Iowa - loved it.

13-Feb-17
here is what I got back from Bob Duff Steve -

The proposal by the governor is just a first step. The Appropriations Committee is now at work to develop their own proposal. That should come out by the end of April.

I don't think anyone has endorsed any particular aspect of the budget and it will continue to get analyzed by legislators. We obviously want to make the best decisions for the people we represent, our communities and state.

As a point of information, our budgets have reduced spending by over four billions dollars the last few years, cut the workforce by over 5,000 employees and have made full payments every year the last six years to pension debt that has accumulated from the 1930's through the 1980's. That's the first time in our state's history that has happened. Our fiscal constraints are tied to the fact that previous legislators and governors over many decades failed to save.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Sincerely, Bob

13-Feb-17
They must all get a script,that's pretty much what Malloy said when he proposed it...

Richm,didn't CT and a bunch of other states try that a few years ago and stopped once the Sierra club and others threatened to sue.

13-Feb-17
You know it's budget season when state employees get kicked around. Malloy is asking for 1.5 billion in labor concessions and if he doesn't get it, that will equate to 4,200 layoffs over the next 2 years.

13-Feb-17
Oh. And the state fleet has about 2000 vehicles. That's far less than one vehicle per employee.

13-Feb-17
2000 vehicles? - I could take that 2 different ways. (1) 2000 is far too many vehicles regardless of the number employees, or (2) we have far too many employees if 2000 vehicles represents only a small percent of total employees.

I had a cousin that worked for the state and I can tell you he said it was a gravy job. Not saying all employees have the luxury, but he was not what you would call hard working at any level.

13-Feb-17
Bob, I also work for the state. There are lots of reasons for number of vehicles. Police cars, group homes in DDS, DHS social workers, DOT (not only the plow trucks, but smaller vehicles too), etc. etc. Lot of depts. within the state. All needed? Probably not.

I work in DDS, been doing it for 31 yrs. Even as employees, we do see a lot of wasted money that just makes us shake our heads. Not every dept is the same though. Our dept has been trying to privatize for years. Now, we're looking at a bill that would allow the state to take away our pensions, or drastically minimize them. After 31 yrs of work (with 9 to go), I stayed with it knowing I would have a pension when I retire. Not so sure now. If Malloy has his way, our parting gift will be a kick in the ass out the door, though I'm told it's the repubs that started the bill. I haven't read into it yet to see the entire thing. And just because I'm a state employee doesn't mean I'm pro-union either. Our union ALWAYS endorses the Dem. Party.

But, this carry permit bill is nothing more than an attack on gun owners and our 2A rights. Ridiculous. I'm sure Malloy thinks he's doing everyone a favor and charging a sin tax on our rights.

13-Feb-17
Brian - I've worked for Stanley for 44 years now, and when I was 54 they discontinued our pension. We had a choice between taking out what was in the fund (I would take a 40% whack on taxes due to my age) or rolling it over to an annuity. I picked the annuity and luckily it did great. Since then all we get is contributing to our 401K, so I went to a private Financial Planner and they've done a great job for me. Self funding your retirement is the way for the future, so teach your children well (what's the name of that song)

You're right about the state vehicles when you include all of the maintenance vehicles, but I guess I was thinking just cars when Doc said 2,000.

13-Feb-17
Whether it be the state or the private sector, something's wrong with taking a persons pension away. It's due to greed, those at the highest levels never receive a pay cut or reduction in benefits. The CEO of my corporation received a 188 million dollar golden parachute and they went up on our health care after he received the package. All new hires don't qualify for the pension, which is corporate greed in my opinion. Those at the top continue to see their pay rise, while those of us who toil in the shops or do the real work, we're told to accept the cuts which never seem to affect their pockets too much.

Hey Brian, I'm not trying to start an argument or anything, but why wouldn't you vote Democrat if you're in a union. I'm in a union and I can't cast my vote for someone who may come along and take my hard earned union rights and benefits away. Your reasoning may be different than mine, but I was just wondering, not judging or criticizing you.

13-Feb-17
Could be that Brian is saying his UNION encourages voting for the Dems, I know they do that at several places. And yes, the rich get richer and the poor keep pulling the wagon. It's like being the right tackle for Brady and watch him get the millions $$$ and the spotlight while you're the one busting you butt making him look good for the small $$$.

13-Feb-17
Country, I'm also self employed and Dems are not in my best interest. I'm a nwco, which means I use traps and firearms. I don't think there has ever been a repub that introduces a bill to take either of my tools away, but the Dems do it every year. Not too mention the amount of taxes the liberals are always in favor of. When Malloy was first voted in, primarily on the backing of state employees, it wasn't two months before he attacked and cut our state benefits. No, I don't see myself ever voting for a Dem., even though I'm an Independent.

13-Feb-17
I understand your reasons, we all have to vote according to our interests. We can agree on Malloy though, he isn't viewed favorably in my household either.

13-Feb-17
Dont care for him much either and dont trust him much. I for one am tired of paying for all the social programs that free loaders abuse. I DO NOT mind helping the handicapped, Veterans and programs of such- Just the free loaders no matter race or color. I worked 27 years in FD and retired way to early (age 47) due to disease in my legs making it difficult to perform duties, I can collect medical but I dont. I work 50 hours a week doing a job that i try to enjoy and dont take a dime from anyone other than my paycheck.

13-Feb-17
I find it amusing that the guy who replied to Steves Email didn't mention anything about welfare or welfare fraud. How about instead of raising taxes they investigate welfare fraud in which you are talking millions of dollars.

13-Feb-17
Now its got me cranked up! Instead of people abusing welfare and other programs by saying they cant find a job etc. Well let them work 30 hrs a week in Town they reside, picking up garbage, painting etc. Then they can get there welfare check or other aid we pay for.- Then if a job opportunity arises, perhaps they can be eligible to fill position. Hopefully in between time they gain self respect and respect of others and Town/ City they live in . I do not mean the the ones who deserve it- I.E truly handicapped, Vets etc- not a person abusing system.. I said enough you get the drift..

14-Feb-17

notme's Link
http://m.ctpost.com/local/article/Furor-over-Malloy-s-plan-to-jack-up-pistol-10929988.php

14-Feb-17
"Malloy spokeswoman Kelly Donnelly said the additional revenue is needed to help cover the high volume of firearms permits stemming from the 2013 law"

So, if I get this right... you got additional revenue from the high volume of new permits that you didn't get before and now you need to raise the fee because you made us pay additional fees? WTF?

14-Feb-17
CtCrow, what that doesn't make sense to you? Lol. Here in MA we had $25 permit for life then they made it $100 every 6 years. And this was brought on by our Republican governor Mitt Romney!

14-Feb-17

spike78's Link
On a side note, keep Malloy out of this state. We already have enough spenders here.

14-Feb-17
revenue = tax

15-Feb-17
Bring it on. The faster this state sinks in the abyss the faster people move out. I have expanded my business in other states and haven't added one additional customer in Connecticut in a number of years. One day people will wake up and ask what happened to Connecticut?

15-Feb-17
Politicians, no matter what party they belong to, are only interested in themselves and getting re-elected. No longer do we see people serving with the intent of making their town, state or country a better place to live. I don't like a lot of things about Trump, but I'm willing to give a businessman a shot for the next 4 years and see what he can do.

15-Feb-17
This state is a sinking ship- the politicians don't care because they have the numbers to tax tax tax and there is no accountability and no fear of being voted out because they have the big numbers in the cities. GE picked up and moved out after how many years ? And yet who was held accountable-

I am torn between putting any more money in my house or just cutting and running to a southern state. I have alot invested here in Connecticut so I don't want to leave but the abuse by state government is just totally unabated

15-Feb-17
The insurance company are also considering moving, especially since the merger was denied. There's already talk about how they need to cut costs, and moving from CT is a huge savings for them.

No company is happy with CT. My place has also asked themselves about where we should be located, and New Britain, CT is not a place to save money for any company. The politicians have this state in a death spiral and only drastic measures will save what's left,.........maybe.

15-Feb-17
Hey Richm444, places like Simsbury, Farmington, East Lyme, Niantic, North Stonington, Groton, Griswold, Colchester, Wallingford Yalesville, Guilford, Mansfield and Dayville, these are places that voted Democrat for the Ct state house, so I wouldn't say it's the big cities who only vote Democratic. Plenty of small towns sent Democrats to represent them.

• Sitka Gear