Tweed 02-Mar-17
Tweed 05-Mar-17
Two Feathers 06-Mar-17
Tweed 06-Mar-17
Tweed 06-Mar-17
Tweed 11-Mar-17
GVS 12-Mar-17
09-Feb-17
On March 5th we are having our annual pheasant hunt..... It will be a 60 rooster release, hunting on 110 private acres, includes lunch, and inside 3D shooting,,,,, water and beer and soda, cash bar........ Seems like a lot of people have fun,,,,,,

If interested send me a PM for details, or go to the web site for Newberg Sportsmen Club......

09-Feb-17
Broadheads or those wire things that look like over grown judos?

09-Feb-17
I will be heading home from the WBH Convention after the meeting...Sounds like a great time.

10-Feb-17

CraigL's embedded Photo
CraigL's embedded Photo
Tweed, This is what some of us use, it acts like a small broad head and arrow does not fall out easy if you hit one. Safe around dogs too. Its called a Gamestopper, Adder point or a tiger claw.

12-Feb-17
that is what I use on turkey with a broadhead in front of it. Like hitting them with a 12 gauge slug.

20-Feb-17
razorhead - refresh my memory - how many arrows do we launch at birds before we go out and recover arrows?

20-Feb-17
You need 5 arrows ,,,,,,,,, Tweed I shoot all welds, behind a field point, they work great and they are cheap, I will have extras,,,, you can get a pack of 3 at the deer shows for 5.00 on promotions

28-Feb-17
Any guys here going to this?

I'm building my own flu flus this week for the shoot. My first time trying to build an arrow (are at least fletch them) its pretty exciting.

Might bring a dog with me if things work out.

28-Feb-17
Tweed - Yes Gabe and I are going. If you bring a dog you will probably come back with some pheasants. I've never had a dog and have never shot a pheasant at this shoot. Gabe is bringing his day pack razorhead gave him at Johnsonville just to stuff full of dead pheasants. The boy is optimistic. I'm also fletching up flu flus for this.

The way it works is everybody gets on line, half to the right and half to the left of the guy (razorhead) who throws the birds up and out in front of the shooters. Most times everybody misses and the bird flies off. After 5 birds are tossed everybody goes out and recovers arrows for the next 5 birds and so it goes until all 60 birds are released. After all the birds are released we head to the woods to hunt the birds that didn't get shot when first released. This is when most of the pheasants are killed.

Also, the shooting line rotates. I don't remember if it's after every bird or second, third, fourth or every fifth bird but the line rotates so the guys who started way on the end away from the release point end up getting close to the birds when they are released.

Then somewhere in this big gaggle is lunch which is included in the price of admission. The boy and I will probably be out there running around until late in the afternoon. Last year we were one of the last ones to leave and would have stayed longer but Gabe lost all his arrows in the snow.

We are looking forward to it.

01-Mar-17
Hey Feathers you and Gabe are more than welcomed to hunt with the dog. I was probably Gabe's age when my grandfather started to let me pheasant hunting with him. It wasn't legal for me to shoot so I would just carry my bb gun to get a feel for it and learn gun safety. I can't imagine doing it with a bow. Gabe is quite the kid.

Pheasant has always been my favorite hunt by far! I haven't been pheasant hunting since my grandfather died many years ago so I'm completely stoked for this weekend.

It'll just be my mom working as the dog handler and me shooting.

There's a 50/50 chance of me bringing me daughter but she won't be shooting.

01-Mar-17
Good luck, guys. The weather is supposed to be pretty darn good. Make certain to get some pics of the event posted up on here!

01-Mar-17
I just got a reminder to wear some blaze. Good thing too...I was just going to go old school and wear red plaid.

01-Mar-17
I am really considering coming to this on Sunday, but I have some questions for the people who are attending. Can Flu Flu arrows be shot out of a modern compound bow or are most people using traditional equipment? I am trying to figure out if I need to buy 5 flu flu arrows and do a little practicing with the bow or if it is going to be an epic flail to try. Thank you for the advice on this.

01-Mar-17
I think it would depend on your arrow rest but a more experienced person should chime in. I can bring an extra bow for you to use if you're interested.

01-Mar-17

Two Feathers's Link
Thanks for the reminder of the orange - I forgot about that.

Flu Flus from a compound - see the link.

01-Mar-17
Thank you for the PM's and answers on the Forum. Thank you for the offer to bring a bow for me Tweed, I will gladly accept the offer. I will get some arrows, bring my orange, my bow (just in case) and my not so dead eye on pheasants. I am looking forward to it.

01-Mar-17
Here's a cool video

01-Mar-17
Flu flu's ordered. Picked up a pack of 6 of the game stopper type things that go behind the field points at Cabelas for $6. Now, just need to train my 125lb Bernese Mountain Dog to point!!!

02-Mar-17
Maybe hook your Burmie up to a cart he can pull us in while we shoot.

No that would be a fun challenge.

05-Mar-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Boy was this a hoot!

This felt more like bowhuting then sitting in a tree.

Thank you Newburg for putting this on.

There sure we're some crazy shoots.

Photo credit: Reggiezpop

06-Mar-17
Already, we are looking forward to next year. On the way home we stopped in Random Lake for ice cream at the Pizzeria and ran into grandpa Gary. I think the boys talked grandpa Gary into bringing his pointer next year.

If I'm not mistaken this is an annual event - the Bob Newhouse Memorial Shoot. I remember him well from when I shot league in Newburg.

Tweed, you got some quality time in yesterday with your mother! Does she bow hunt?

06-Mar-17
Glad they had a good time.

Nope...mom doesn't hunt or fish but loves the outdoors. She had a great time too!

06-Mar-17

11-Mar-17
Bump for MF

12-Mar-17
Looks like a good time. Perhaps I can make it next year.

• Sitka Gear