casekiska 13-Feb-17
keith 14-Feb-17
Hoot 14-Feb-17
MONSTER 14-Feb-17
casekiska 15-Feb-17
Tweed 15-Feb-17
Hoot 15-Feb-17
12-Feb-17
You fish all day long, shower everyone your catch, dress it with others around and it's no problem. To some extent the same with birds.

Most people in my circles are "ify" about hunting and when they see the process are freaked out.

I just had some one get mad because I was skinning squirrels in front of my girls and is spoiled about a hanging deer. This same family doesn't think twice when it's fish.

I don't get it.

Just needed to vent.

12-Feb-17
Its called the disney effect. Besides Nemo almost all with legs come to life on screen.

12-Feb-17
Fish, ducks, geese, bears, everything except bunnies get treated the same here. No one better have an issue, because the kids are always around. Today after spending the weekend staring into the abyss on Winnebago the kids were excited to see me come home and disappointed by not seeing a sturgeon in the truck.

Even the neighbor kids show up during bear and deer season.

If someone doesn't like the fact that you are teaching the kids a valuable life lesson, then they need to be quiet and keep their thoughts to themselves.

I feel your pain!!!

12-Feb-17
Tweed - Send them to a slaughterhouse just once and that may change their iffy mind about hunting.

12-Feb-17
Tweed - Send them to a slaughterhouse just once and that may change their iffy mind about hunting.

12-Feb-17
Hoot! That was almost my exact response!

At least my animals had a life.

I agree... It's the Disney effect and 99% of people only see meat under plastic at the grocer.

None of these people of vegetarians but are just sooo disconnected.

13-Feb-17
Disconnected and hypocritical. They place value on the life of "cute" animals yet don't hesitate to kill the ugly ones. Do the poison mice? Do they kill bugs? Vegetables are living also. They do not apply their standards equally to all living things.

13-Feb-17
Hypocrisy at it's highest level with these people. I was in a heated discussion with a vegan and asked the same questions that CM pointed out. I asked her if she had a home infestation problem with rats, mice or bugs what would she do. Her answer was to call a professional exterminator. One of the first times in my life I just stood there for a few moments mouth open and absolutely speechless. After I tore into her about the obvious I told her just because you don't hear a carrot scream doesn't mean it doesn't hurt.

13-Feb-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo

13-Feb-17
I remember the days when hunters who were consistently successful were heroes. They brought their game home on the top of their cars for all to see. Then, it was hung in a tree in the yard and people would come from miles around. Now, we're told to hide the animals so as not to offend others.

13-Feb-17
Keith - I recall those days too, the deer tied onto the tops or fenders of cars, and the guys were happy to show'em off! Great days/times. In junior high, back about 1958 or so, I once wore my hunting jacket to school with rabbit blood all over it. No big deal at all. Today if that happened the school administrators would probably go nuts and call the cops! Then I'd probably have to attend counseling sessions to learn how to not offend the PC crowd.

14-Feb-17
And, if it was hunting season, we usually had a shotgun in the car in the parking lot. Also, we always had a pocket knife. Nobody was hurt and nobody had a problem. Although, the gym teacher had to suspend the archery class as too many arrows ended up in the neighbors swimming pool.

14-Feb-17
Tweed - now that was funny!

Keith & Case - I also took a gun to school as a youngster, because we would go hunting after the bell rang for the day. Some brought them for show & tell for all to see what they got for a birthday or a Christmas present. No one was ever offended or threatened with just the sight of a weapon. My how times have changed.

14-Feb-17
Casekiska you also would have to tell them you hunt on your way to school and from and man back then a gun in your locker meant nothing nothing to anyone but hopefullness for a bounty of food at days end on the familys table.

15-Feb-17
Yes, it is a whole different world today. The ignorant are so afraid of guns they think a gun in and of itself is a bad thing. NO! It's the person holding the gun, not the gun. We know that, but they just can't seem to understand this.

Here's a story I heard. I am not certain it is true but with today's prevalent psychological set so against firearms it could be.

Out east somewhere (New Jersey??????) a school district had a "no firearms policy", which is understandable. This policy also included firearms facsimiles, in other words a kid wasn't supposed to bring a plastic gun to school. Well, I guess what happened is that an elementary school kid, maybe second or third grade, had been playing with his toy soldiers the night before. The next day he went to school with one of the toy soldiers and the soldiers rifle in his pants pocket. He got caught and was accused of bringing a firearms facsimile to school, his parents were called, and the kid was expelled for three days. Supposedly, no exceptions to the school policy could be allowed.

I'm not sure I actually believe this. I heard the story about a year ago at a meeting I attended. True? Maybe. But it sure makes you wonder just how far beyond reason some might travel to prove a point.

15-Feb-17
I think the issue is that up until 1950 the majority of Americans lived in rural areas. Today I think its something like only 16%. Most (not all...) people living in urban areas, no matter the safety of their particular area associate guns with violence. That and along with the mental separation between them and where their food comes from makes any kind of killing a unnecessary and violent action.

I know I'm preaching to the choir here and none of us feel this way but unfortunately it is what it is. I'm doing what I can to show my daughters there is a connection to their food, that firearms are tools that are very useful but like most tools can be deadly. They get it and really enjoy outdoor activities. Too bad they have a side of the family that doesn't ;)

Case- unfortunately I can believe that story. Its a sad fact that people can no longer use reasoning anymore. They can only see what is written without thinking why it is written. I'm only in my mid 30's so I began hunting in the mid 1990s. Even in 6th grade, in my urban middle school, I forgot to take my hunting knife out of my backpack. All I did was turn it into the counselor (would never had told the teacher though) once I noticed it and there was no problem. I had to wait for about 20 minutes after school for most of the kids to clear out to get it back. On the flip side though...with all the clinically insane kids TODAY imagine what would happen to a counselor who did the same and the kid stabs someone. It wouldn't be the kid or parents that would be vilified...but the educator.

15-Feb-17
Case - I remember that story about the kid with the toy army man. There was another where a kid bit up his sandwich and it looked like a gun to a teacher. I hate this PC world we live in.

• Sitka Gear