Riverrat 16-Feb-17
Treeline 16-Feb-17
Longcruise 16-Feb-17
brunse 21-Mar-17
OldFart 22-Mar-17
Treeline 23-Mar-17
Cheesehead Mike 23-Mar-17
15-Feb-17
Heading out to try my luck archery hunting my first mule deer this year in September. My wife has agreed to go and to top it off she is going to let me use the trip as our 15th wedding anniversary present. Only catch is she wants to fish. We catch small rainbows in small streams in North Carolina almost every year with light tackle spinning reels and rooster tails. Any advice on how this translates to Colorado? We are staying on a ranch in the flattops area with a lot of what looks like small ditches from Google earth. Any advice would be greatly appreciated from both of us. Thanks

15-Feb-17
Use exactly what you are using now you should catch lots of them.

15-Feb-17
Rooster Tails work, I like mepps almost anything will work. Just please don't kill the big fish!!! Some places have been destroyed by the overzealous and can't reproduce on their own. Should be a great time!!!

15-Feb-17

Treeline's embedded Photo
Spinners work well. Just a bit hard on the fish unless you flatten the barb or cut a couple of the hook points off. Lots of fishing up here.

Small ditches can produce some really big fish...

15-Feb-17

Have no idea who that second picture is! Should have been my boy with another good brown out of a little creek on the east side of the Flattops.

Hopefully this one works!!!

16-Feb-17
Cheap fly rod and just dabbing in the little streams and use what you already have in the lakes and she will catch a bunch!

16-Feb-17

FullCryHounds's embedded Photo
If you're coming all this way, why not go after something you can't catch back home. Colorado has outstanding fishing for giant pike, walleye and lake trout.

16-Feb-17
Some great fish there Dean! Still have never caught a walleye. On my bucket list!

We live right on Stagecoach Reservoir and there are huge pike in the lake that are a lot of fun, especially on the fly rod. Unfortunately, most of the pike and smallies in the Yampa are being netted and killed by the DOW. That used to be a spectacular fishery.

You would have to travel a ways to get into good Lake trout or walleye from the Flattops. Flaming Gorge for big lakers or Seminole Reservoir for walleye.

16-Feb-17
Where are you staying? Good fishing spots are scattered everywhere up there.

16-Feb-17
Appreciate all the help. We use barbless rooster tails now. We may keep a few for a meal one night but the rest get released. Thanks again.

16-Feb-17
PS - lots of lakes in the Flattops with some great fishing and lots of variety - brookies, browns, rainbows, cutthroat, even a few goldens and grayling. Let me know where you are planning to stay and I can probably give you a bunch of options for fishing - some that may be worth hiking in together for her to fish and you to hunt!

16-Feb-17
Deep lake in the flattops held the state record for Mackinac for many years.

21-Mar-17
ALOT of lakes in the flattops have no fish. Ask someone before you count in fish being in there. I got a map or list once of fishable lakes. At least two the the listed lakes didn't even have enough water In them to wet your pant legs.

22-Mar-17
Try a Panther Martin 4PMRG, gold blade, 1/8 oz, black body with spots, works in both rivers and lakes. Ray

23-Mar-17

Here's one my boy caught last week on a streamer in a creek.

23-Mar-17

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Ahh... some good memories of those little lakes in the Flattops!

• Sitka Gear