writer 17-Feb-17
Matte 18-Feb-17
racks&wings 20-Feb-17
sitO 20-Feb-17
Kansasclipper 20-Feb-17
IAHUNTER 21-Feb-17
Genesis 21-Feb-17
15-Feb-17
Has anyone hunted unit 16. I have an opportunity to hunt private land in that unit. What are y'alls thoughts?

15-Feb-17
My thoughts are you are have an opportunity to hunt private land in unit 16. Really wouldn't the landowner be more helpful than strangers on the internet who have no more of a clue than you?

15-Feb-17
Just looking for other people's experiences.

15-Feb-17
It just depends on the particular piece of property. It won't be worth a crap if it gets hammered during rifle season. You need to find out the pressure it has recieved from the landowner. I have killed nice deer in every corner of this state.

15-Feb-17
You've also come on Bowsite by about every name possible, Jeff...dang. Creedxs. Jeff's telling you straight. Every part of Kansas has the possibility of producing great deer. We have the food and the genetics. But it's hard to kill a 5 1/2 year-old buck if he was shot three years earlier. Unit 16 used to be Kansas best-known for trophy whitetails, but it was home to probably the largest trophy deer poaching ring in the world for a number of years. It's fame lead to other kinds of poaching, too. Plus, the population took a pretty serious hit from several years of drought. Several outfitters I know cut way, way back on the number of trophy bucks they were taking. But if it's a big enough property, and it's had very light pressure, and it's the best habitat for many miles,...you might have a great hunt. A lot also depends on what you're looking for in a hunt. If you like hunting new, really gorgeous country, you can't go wrong. If you only rate your success on inches of antler, you'd better do some homework. Also, I'm not sure what the drawing odds are now, either.

M

16-Feb-17
No way to set priority without a scouting trip.I just got back, 20 hr round trip.

16-Feb-17
Were you scouting pivate or wiha Steve?

16-Feb-17
Why would you drive 10 hours one way to scout a property whose deer patterns will change at least 4 times before season starts 7months from now?

16-Feb-17
Writer it depends whether I log in on the ks bowsite or leatherwall. I can't delete an old ad on leatherwall because that email is no longer valid so I had to re register to be able to place an ad on the classifieds. I have emailed the moderators on numerous occassions to help delete the ad but have never gotten a response.

17-Feb-17
Just curious, Jeff. You're too "up front" to try to slide in on anything. :-)

17-Feb-17
Thornton:

If you knew the record Genesis has for taking big bucks, I don't believe you would question his scouting. I find February a great time to scout. The sign from the previous season is never more visible than it is now. You might find a drop that will indicate a survivor of the just ended season. Will the patterns be the same this fall? Maybe or maybe not, but it gives a good starting point.

17-Feb-17
Two dogs, I agree with everything you stated.

17-Feb-17
Me to.

17-Feb-17
My experience has always shown me that the guys that get the most bucks simply have good hunting spot(s). I guess it just caught me off guard because I live here. But then again, I rarely shoot a buck over 150"s.

17-Feb-17
I 100% agree with the scouting an area first and this time of year is very good. For me though most of Kansas is at least 1500 miles away, so I take a 4 weeks off the end of Oct into Nov and hunt. I figure out as I go. I have researched a lot of areas and 16 looks awesome but looks to be tough to get on, unless like the OP you know someone, In that case I would ask the landowner a bunch of questions. Shawn

17-Feb-17
Steve is one of the more success bowhunters we've had come to Kansas. I have other friends who like to cover a lot of ground now, before spring greens cover well-used trails and things like rub and scrape lines. Not sure he's ever killed one of his big bucks with a rifle?

18-Feb-17
I'll agree on this is the best time of year to scout scrapes, rubs and trails. In fact I found a new rub line and trail that I have never encountered on a piece of ground I have had for ten years. Sometimes historical routes change.

20-Feb-17
Ohhh.....the memories of what unit 16 used to be. I believe it was 99, but it was back when WIHA was fairly new. The maps used to be folded paper with staples......anyone remember that? Mature bucks everywhere. A place we called 2 mile draw was my favorite. Someone please pinch me and tell me the last 17yrs have been a bad dream!

20-Feb-17
The "coon-ass's" ruined 16...there...that's the damn truth.

20-Feb-17
1999 that was yesterday. You must be green behind the ears. In 1999 we were headed down hill already. Now 1989 and before, now your talking.

21-Feb-17
I have the same question. I have not been in unit 16 in my life, but have access to ground. Feel free to PM after March 12, because I will be down there checking things out about that time!

21-Feb-17
Thornton,I wasn't trying to pattern deer in fact I really never try to pattern deer.Simply checking for new blow downs or tops on the ground that would open canopy and provide some interior edge once spring green up hits.This edge will be the basis for some in season scouting when it's all happening. I don't get influenced much in Feb by much but simply use the time to prognosticate change in edge habitat

• Sitka Gear