bigbuckbob 20-Feb-17
bb 20-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 20-Feb-17
16-Feb-17

Hrtfdbowhntr's embedded Photo
Lion
Lion
Took down my cams the other day and found some interesting shots. Hadn't retrieved them since before the rut. First shot is what looks to be a mountain lion, not a bobcat, and the second and third show a nice buck (yea yea I didn't harvest him).. with some interesting lacerations on his back. Photos were taken about 200 yards apart, 4 days apart. Possible lion deer take down attempt or sparring wounds??

16-Feb-17

16-Feb-17

16-Feb-17
That's a small baby lion. Very small baby lion.

16-Feb-17
Looks like a house cat.

16-Feb-17
That is most definitely a bobcat.

16-Feb-17
Looks like a bobcat in pic to me

Scars could be from a cat but also maybe a buck fight or an errant arrow

16-Feb-17
Ditto bobcat. Awesome looking buck! They get scars from many things as others have noted. Even an ornery doe at a food source could pound on him hard enough to do that.

16-Feb-17
Definitely a bobcat, not a mt lion. Bucks get scars like that from fighting with other bucks, I've taken more than a few with some really banged up bodies.

16-Feb-17
that had to be more than 16 years ago. LOL

16-Feb-17
Steve, there was a time I'd get one every year, but not BBB deer??

16-Feb-17
Nice buck.... Based on the distance between claw marks, I'm guessing a Chupacabra. Probably an adult one. Either that or he got T-boned by another buck in a fight

16-Feb-17
Looks more like a tabby, but maybe if the back-sides of the ears are black and not just in shadow....

Barbed-wire will tear 'em up like that, too.... especially if they crash through by mistake.... I remember seeing a half/fallen tree with deer hair and even some blood on it. Looked like we had jumped one out of its bed and it went straight up into that tree and hit HARD....

17-Feb-17
Obviously that lion ate the deer this is Ct .. most likely because of climate change

17-Feb-17

bigbuckbob's embedded Photo
bigbuckbob's embedded Photo
no tabby, bobcat

17-Feb-17
Could be a Bobcat, could be a tabby, it's a crappy picture so it's hard to tell for sure. But it's certainly no a lion

18-Feb-17
mountain lions don't have those black marks on the ears definitely a bobcat or exotic lynx type.

18-Feb-17
I've been away for the last week and could only view this from my cel phone, which gave me a very difficult image to view. After looking at this on my computer, the photo looks al lot better than what I could see from the cel phone, it looks much more like a Bobcat to me now. Defenitely not a lion. There is nothing about this animal that looks like a lion. On the same note I was not able to clearly see the marks on the buck but now I can see them very well, they appear to me like either a fight with another buck, maybe a run in with either a barbed wire fence although I tend to doubt that or maybe a car.

20-Feb-17

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Still having difficulty being convinced.. Looking at comparisons of mountain lion vs bobcat it looks way more similar to the outline of the lion. I have gotten a bunch of pictures of a bobcat that is around the area but they are distinctively bobcat- looks like the attached outline, tufted ears, spots, etc. The ears on the pic I posted don't appear to me to be tufted, and I have found many pics of mountain lions with black on the rear of the ears. Also the uniform coloring, bar the rear of the ears, appears to be more lion that bobcat. As for the markings on the buck- hadn't considered barb wire fence, I think that's pretty plausible, and if it is another deer I'd like to track him down! Anyways thanks for the constructive feedback.

20-Feb-17
Don't agree. Compare the length of the neck, MT lion has a long neck, the cat in the pictures doesn't.

20-Feb-17
Is this a joke? That's a bobcat and under 25lbs.

20-Feb-17
Hrtfd, the only thing in the pic for scale is the tree on the right. Go measure it and also post some pictures taken at the time the camera took this one (you must have some deer or squirrel pics). I'm certain that you will find that the size of the cat in that pic is nowhere close to a lion. A lot of nigh time bobcat pics don't show spots very distinctly.

20-Feb-17
Many Bobcats don't show spots on the back or sides, The tufts on the ears generally aren't visible unless you are looking at the Bobcat from very close and at the right angle. The tufts are just a few hairs and wouldn't necessarily be picked up with a camera in low light. Attached are a couple of photos of Bobcats and a lion. You can see there are no spots on the bobcat except for the underneath, belly and legs. You can see a tuft on one ear. The edges of the ears of both the bobcat and lion were chewed on by the neighbors puppy. The dark spots on the lions ears is not fur but the hide where the dog chewed the ears. There are no black spots on the ears.

20-Feb-17

bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo

20-Feb-17

bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo
Here is the lion photo

20-Feb-17

bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo
Here are some more lion photos that I took, The one in the cave has much more black behind the ears than the others but I think you can see the difference in the build, First the Bobcat in the game camera has pointed ears. The lions have rounded ears, but the most significant thing is the difference in the build between lions and bobcats, bobcats are much lighter boned and finer features. There is nothing about the trailcam photo that resembles a lion.

20-Feb-17

bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo

20-Feb-17

bb's embedded Photo
bb's embedded Photo

20-Feb-17
How the hell did you take those pics?? Getting a little to close for comfort in my book.. Nice pics bb!!

20-Feb-17
I've got a lot of them, most are with regular film, not digital, in fact these were film photos that I reproduced by scanning them. Too much effort to load them all this way.

I have a bunch on video but they are all on super 8, and VHS, I don't have anything to play them back with any more as I think my super 8 camera was thrown out. I don't know how I would convert that to digital. I have a lot of cool videos of lions.

20-Feb-17
bb - there are several companies that convert super 8 to do disc. I have had several done of family films, just don't expect to see the quality of a digital video, they still look like a crappy film.

20-Feb-17
Yeah, I'd like to get that done someday. I'll have to look into it.

20-Feb-17
I know where there's a couple of cougars, but that's a different topic.

• Sitka Gear