Paul@thefort 16-Mar-17
Cazador 17-Mar-17
TwoDogs@work 17-Mar-17
Matt Palmquist 17-Mar-17
z hunter 19-Mar-17
keepemsharp 19-Mar-17
Paul@thefort 21-Mar-17
16-Feb-17
Note: The dates and times over the coming days the licensing/reservation system will be shut down. Therefore, no license sales or campsite/cabin reservations can be made during that time.......thus make plans accordingly.

PRATT – In late February, the computer license sales and reservation system the Kansas Department of Wildlife, Parks and Tourism (KDWPT) has used for many years will be no more. A new and improved system, provided by Active Network, will go into full operation. Active Network has provided the software and point-of-sale hardware for 11 years that allowed KDWPT to accept campsite and cabin reservations and sell licenses online, maintaining all license records electronically. That contract expired and a new contract, with some changes, is now in place. License buyers and campers won’t notice a big difference; however, the current license sales system will shut down at 9:45 p.m. on Feb. 18, and the new system will be online at 8 a.m. on Feb. 22. No license or permit sales will be available through the system for roughly three days. The campsite and cabin reservation system will shut down at 12:01 a.m., Feb. 20 and go back online at 6 p.m., Feb. 21. While it may be inconvenient for anyone who tries to buy a license or make a reservation during the downtime, this time is important to allow data to be transferred, configurations to be completed and to ensure everything is working properly before going live. The new system will retain the KDWPT numbers of everyone who purchased a hunting or fishing license in the old system, and there will be no changes in pricing. The new system will provide some advantages to users, including allowing customers to purchase hunting and fishing licenses at the same time they make camping or cabin reservations. It will allow customers to reprint licenses within 48 hours if they were unable to print during the transaction. Other features include allowing customers to browse available licenses and permits before they make a purchase, buy licenses or permits for multiple years when available (such as buying a 2017 hunting license and a 2016 HIP stamp) and logging in with an email address to edit personal information on record such as address and phone number. One significant change with the new system involves permits that have carcass tags attached, such as deer, turkey, elk, and antelope, which could have been purchased from home and printed out on a desktop printer under the old system. This caused many issues for Law Enforcement since there was no way to prohibit someone from printing multiple carcass tags with one permit. In the new system, permits with carcass tags will have to be purchased and issued through a license agent or over the phone, in which case the permit/carcass tag will be mailed to the customer.

16-Feb-17
Glad to see the changes on the printed tags.

16-Feb-17
I just bought my paper turkey tags last week but look forward to the improve tags next year.

16-Feb-17
Good move KDWP!

16-Feb-17
Same as putting a band-aid on a broken arm...

At least now I know I'll come across that elusive Saturday/Sunday bedded KS elk I've been keeping an eye out for. Except instead of the closest public printer or buddy's house 20 miles away, the nearest open vendor will be 90. :)

16-Feb-17
Its about time. Now if they would just get an antler tag that numbers corispond to the carcass tag, so both meat and head are tagged, there will be no doubt if the buck is a legal harvest or not.

17-Feb-17
The state should have kept the "next day rule"

17-Feb-17
I am on the fence, but agree with Kaleb to some extent. When you live in BFE it is nice to be able to purchase and print tags online. IMO, if someone is going to print multiple carcass tags they are an outlaw and one could argue they will kill more than one buck no matter what the system is.

With that said, we will just buy tags early and have them mailed and all will be well in the world:) I hope the transition is smooth for KDWPT

Matt

17-Feb-17
KB I may be wrong on this but with the exception of Unit 3 all over the counter Elk tags are Hunt on own Land tags.

17-Feb-17
Matt:

I am in the same situation as you. I have bought on line for several years. The last time I went to our only local private vender. He refused to sell me the second antlerless permit. He said we were only allowed one antlerless permit. I asked him what was the code for the antlerless permit. I told him to just put the code in the system and if I am not allowed to purchase a second permit the system would not allow me to do so. He agreed that was right, but would not attempt to sell me the second permit.

I then went on line and purchased my second antlerless permit. I printed off the regulation that indicated that two antlerless permits were available in my area, highlighted the part that explained the number of permits available and took it back to him. He was not happy with me. Needless to say I have not bought permits, or anything else, from him since.

I will not go to Walmart to buy my permits. They will almost refuse to sell the archery permit. They have been told to sell the any weapon permit. If I do go to a vendor, I will go to the Wildlife and Parks office in Emporia (25 miles from me). The staff has always been helpful and seem knowledgeable.

17-Feb-17
Matt S, Units 1 and 2 are the smaller of the three. I'm sure you know the drill in each of those. I've always understood Unit 3 to be similar to our WT any weapon tag. OTC tag to general residents, price break to LO/T, and fair game in respective season as long as permission is had, or on public access.

17-Feb-17
Never have trusted everyone to be 100% ethical. Having the ability to print off their tags from their home computers, it would be too easy for the folks who bend the rules to print off multiple copies or to print off a tag after taking game without having the tag first.

Those that don't have a KDWP&T office in their home town, or many vendors available to them, I can see this being an inconvenience. I buy all my licenses and tags at the Emporia office, typically before the season starts. I will not buy them from vendors who know nothing about the regulations or limits. I had issues renewing my license this year at the Emporia office. The clerk asked me for my phone number and SS# to update my personal info on my account. I refused to give both. After a brief debate about the legality of asking for my federal tax identification number, a number they cannot legally ask for, a call was made to Pratt licensing. They approved selling me my licenses without providing the additional info because I had been in their system for many years. The purpose of asking for the SS# they said was due to recent State legislation enacted in the attempt to identify and catch dead beat parents who owed back child support when they bought hunting and fishing licenses. Insert eye roll and groan, another fine example of wasted time and money in Topeka.

17-Feb-17
I hope they have built in a "hard stop" that will not allow purchase of tag without an actual license first...that was a debacle. As far as needing a tag instantly...y'all are smarter than that, and you can sure as heck afford to burn a few tags so just get them and know that, if un-filled, the funds are going to a good "cause".

17-Feb-17
Amen to that!

17-Feb-17
If it is such an inconvienence not being able to print your tags online, how did you guys do it in the old days then. I guess you just didnt hunt back then. Being an ex warden I seen several times and also heard of several times from other wardens that caught people who printed off multiple tags. If you are planning on hunting legally, I am sure you will find a way to get your tags.

17-Feb-17
I think in the past every court house sold tags and most city offices. Heck rev in my town that has no grocery store or court house you can go to the city office and get a tag. It's not that tough, just buy the tags for the species you want to hunt win lose or draw.

17-Feb-17
I remember the good old days when we had to buy our permit in the summer months before the season. Now we have it easy and its still not easy enough.

17-Feb-17
As i said, the state never should have dropped the "Next Day Rule"

Mr. Bowman, thank you for verifying the abuse with people using multiple home printed tags..

18-Feb-17
Yes I will find a way to get a tag and I will also abide by all the rules and regulations like we always do. People that would print multiple tags will now just not tag their deer and gamble on getting caught on the way home and if they don't, they will keep hunting for another buck.

Point being, if people are going to break the law and poach they are going to do so regardless of the system in place. If the new system eliminates some of this, great!!

I, and others, were just stating it was convenient to be able to print tags at home and not deal with clerks that have no clue half the time.

18-Feb-17
As one of my buddies stated the other day, this is no different than a liberal gun law tactic. We all know, banning ARs and 9mm's will do nothing to curb the next mass shooting... Printable tags disappearing gives a law breaker one less curtain to hide behind, but does it save an actual significant number of bucks, no. I brought up the same-day rule yesterday, and agree it was a ridiculous move. If not for that change, my far fetched elk hypothetical would be pointless, which is fine with me. But until we have more law enforcement and check stations where an antler tag is applied, nothing drastic will improve.

Sure, a majority of us plan ahead, and I've bought tags I knew damn well I likely wouldn't fill, maybe not even get to hunt on. But I think there are some pretty valid instances a guy might benefit from a quick print-at-home capability. Unfortunately a couple cheaters ruined it, and they'll continue to cheat anyway.

18-Feb-17
I still think you two are swell.

20-Feb-17
Every county court house sells the permits and tags. Two days in mail isn't too much of a problem. People in BFE think nothing of driving an hour each way for a decent meal. If you're a serious hunter, you can find a way. Even those that went to K-State (Apologies to all one one K-State alum, of course.)

20-Feb-17
Here in Missouri you can print out your tags, but they also have mandatory tele-chek. I know of guys who tagged and called in their deer and the game warden almost beats them to their house. But then again there is 2-4 game wardens per county over here.

20-Feb-17
Hooray for the dedicated sales tax for wildlife in MO.

20-Feb-17
Not sure why Kansas has not tried to get the public to vote on a sales tax for conservation. This comes up every 10 years and gets overwhelming voted through for another 10 years. 1/8th of 1 percent adds up to quite a bit of money every year.

ps, I'm a former KBA member of 18 years until the treasury guy messed things u back in the 90's

21-Feb-17
Does Kansas offer a lifetime license? If so, aren't the tags a part of the lifetime?

21-Feb-17
Kansas does offer a lifetime hunting, fishing or combo license, however all deer &turkey licenses are extra. All the lifetime license does is protect you from future raises on those licenses. Got my lifetime license back in the first couple years, think it was $200. Man have I saved a pile of money since then.

21-Feb-17
Thanks for the info, Marvin. Sure glad Oklahoma includes tags and license in our lifetime. $400 in 1990 was a bargain. ;)

21-Feb-17
Lifetime licenses also guarantees you resident status, even if you move out of state. That means resident prices on big game permits and the being able to apply for special resident licenses and permits. The one we bought Jerrod paid for itself the first year he lived on the Missouri side during internships and his first job. Fortunately, he wised up and moved back to Kansas so he could be considered part of the family again. :-)

21-Feb-17
I have duel citizenship (lifetime hunting) in both KS and OK. Need to head back to my old stomping grounds in OK someday....that is if I can ever break away from good ole KS hunting!

22-Feb-17
The lifetime license should be just that, a lifetime Hunting license, all other tags and permits should be priced according to residency..

22-Feb-17
You may have a lifetime in both states because you lived in each at some time or another but I don't believe you can have dual citizenship.How tough is it for a vendor when only the tags you are eligible to purchase come up on your screen

23-Feb-17
Z I believe in the future it could be that way. I have never seen in writing a lifetime license holder is gaurenteed resident pricing on big game tags. Could be wrong.

01-Mar-17
As a non resident I just tried to purchase my Kansas Hunting License and my turkey permit/tag combo on line. The system would not allow me to create an account in my name using my email. It would only recognize my wife's name who have never applied for a Kansas license. I have in the past, two turkey and two deer. So I phone contacted the Company that contracts with the state to do the licensing and got that done that way but the gal hand no information on the Carcass Tags and if they would be mailed to me along with the License/permit/tag. I would need to contact the State Office for that clarification. So I call the State office, ie, license sales info, that is on the Game website. It rings a million times without a pickup. I fill out the email message and sent them my issue/question/problem. No reply. I called today, and was told they were getting hundreds of calls concerning the online new system/carcass tags and that they did not have time to respond via, phone. I still do not have an answer if the turkey carcass tags will be sent to me with the Licenses or if I have to go to a in store vendor to pickup the carcass tags. I should have just waited until I came into Kansas to purchase my turkey tags and hunting license. I know that every new system can have its cliches. Live and learn. my best, Paul

01-Mar-17
Paul, this is one of those "new and improved" upgrades that has backfired. (What are the chances) It was supposed to be cleared up by Feb. 22. It's a huge mess, and for about 10 days people haven't been able to buy anything, including fishing licenses and trout stamps. Seriously, mix a government agency, with technology, and you have to expect a crisis.

Sorry you had to go through it, but glad you survived. :-)

Personally, I buy all of my permits and licenses at state park offices. The staff knows what I'm asking for, and understand the system.

02-Mar-17
I always liked printing my own tags. I got tired of the covering help at Wal-Mart selling me the wrong tag and even arguing with me that I didn't know what I was talking about. In the argument that people were printing and using more than one buck tag, they are going to do it regardless. I found out last week my neighbor's friend has been killing multiple bucks off his property for years and was not aware KS doesn't allow people to shoot deer on other people's tags.

02-Mar-17
An issue with some of the vendors is the system didn't work very well with them have to enter the passwords and everything.the home systems were alot better.I would imagine the new system still will only let you buy what you are eligible to get and online you can't buy anything with a carcass tag.So turkey,deer antelope etc have to be bought at vendor.Thats what I read anyway

02-Mar-17
Exactly why I buy all my tags at a state facility and those girls know better then to argue with me anymore. They all remember the lesson I gave one of them a few years back.

03-Mar-17
I received word, Pratt office, today that my turkey carcass tags will be sent with my non resident turkey license that I purchased from the License Contractor via, phone call.

Thanks, Paul

04-Mar-17
System is still a "train wreck," according to the employee I interviewed on Friday afternoon. Let's see, mix a governing agency with technology managed by an out-of-state business....hmmmm. Glad it worked for you Paul. Anxious to read about your hunt.

04-Mar-17
It sure would have been nice if they would have kept there venders up dated so they would have known it was the entire system not just there's.

04-Mar-17
I get emails from Kansas DNR on all kinds of stuff but nothing on this. A heads up would have been nice as I could have ordered my tags earlier and in time to be mailed to my house. I called them and after getting bounced around a bit finally got through to a lady who sold me what I needed. Luckily for me I was able to have the hunting license and turkey tags sent to my buddies house in Kansas and they arrived 2 days later. I didn't want to take the chance that they would arrive and I would already be in Nebraska ! If you think your systems is messed up my province contracted out to a firm in the U.S. to issue our tags. Now we have to provide all our personal info to a company that is in another country with totally different privacy laws and you have no choice if you want a hunting license !

04-Mar-17
T.P. what part of ON are you in? My wife and I go up to the very end of Red Lake every year. Love it up there. I always tell people that I fish in Canada to have an excuse to go to Canada.

04-Mar-17
Unfortunately I'm in southern Ontario and a long way from God's country up north . That's a long ways and they say I travel far to hunt lol.

04-Mar-17
Always a problem with the state when you are forced to go with the low bid. Wven when they do get it fixed they will be working bugs out for months

05-Mar-17
I live on a lake in Ks. So of my Friends just shake there heads when I tell them I'm going to Canada.

05-Mar-17
Chas: I don't shake my head, did get to fly in and fish Red Lake once, really neat country.

06-Mar-17

z hunter's embedded Photo
Kdwpt licensing system?

10-Mar-17
Has anyone heard of any current updates on the system, still can't get turkey tags as of now, tried to even email KDWPT, I type in the security code it asks for and it keeps giving me invalid code to be able for the email to send. Thanks.

10-Mar-17
Turkeys might be free this year

10-Mar-17
How are you trying to get your turkey tags? Can't print your own, but you probably already know that.

11-Mar-17
Writer, it doesn't even give me the option to see the turkey tags, I tried to go to a vendor that sells them across from where I live and even Wal-Mart, both said system was still down, and they had no idea when it would be back up.

11-Mar-17
update: system must be coming back up, just bought my tags at a vendor, pretty cool also how it sent me an email of my receipt of what I purchased.

11-Mar-17
Walmart may be the last of the license vendors to make it back on.

And to think, this was supposed to be all set up by Feb. 22. Government+new technology=problems

11-Mar-17
Also low bid is not always the best option too. Like in most things you het what you pay for

13-Mar-17
Gov't technology at the VA hospitals is still an ancient DOS based system. Just thought I'd throw that in there with the gov't comment

14-Mar-17
My local vendor still isn't up yet either

14-Mar-17
Bought my turkey tags from KDWPT headquarters. They were up and running.

16-Mar-17
Purchased my non resident Kansas hunting license and combo turkey tags on Feb. 28, a Tuesday, per phone call to the State License vendor. It is now March 16 and I have not yet received the license in the mail. One would like to believe with modern computers, and two week would be long enough to process and ship.

17-Mar-17
Flipping joke. The old system was fine even if we did get 2 buck tags.

17-Mar-17
I bought my turkey tags at the Wildlife and Parks Office in Emporia yesterday. When I told the lady what I wanted she said "I will see if the system is working today". I got them without any problem. She did tell me that people were printing multiple tags with the old on-line system.

17-Mar-17
Hopefully they get everything straightened out sooner than later.

I still contend that anyone that was willing to use multiple tags they printed is also willing to not tag animals and keep hunting. It is no different....both are poaching. I wish I would have printed an extra tag a few times when the paper tag I had got wet or bloody. I wouldn't think printing more than one would be breaking the law until you USED more than one, but that is probably incorrect because I think they charge you again for a replacement tag.

Jerri and I drew Unit 4 with a combo and got our tags in the mail thankfully:)

Matt

19-Mar-17

This is how Florida keeps people buying licenses. A simple email reminder..

19-Mar-17
Maybe KS is as old fashioned as I am. They do not have my e-mail add, it's not necessary.

21-Mar-17
Ordered non resident hunting license and turkey tags on Feb 28, received them both in the mail today, March 20th. Good to go. my best, Paul

• Sitka Gear