Ranger6 08-Mar-17
riverrigger 08-Mar-17
Live2hunt 08-Mar-17
Swampy 08-Mar-17
Buck Watcher 09-Mar-17
Hoot 09-Mar-17
albino 09-Mar-17
16-Feb-17
I did my part to accommodate the cross bow last fall . I didn’t shoot any deer . Now I’m currently experiencing a meat crisis , no venison left and it only Feb 16 . I have 1 turkey in the freezer from last April that’s it . Im having second thoughts on my idea to be so accommodating .

Anyone else in a meat crisis ?

16-Feb-17
Nope, shot one deer, that's all my family needs.

16-Feb-17
I have a different meat crisis and could use some help from the wurstmachers out there. So I ground up 27lbs of venison italians, the mix is 50/50 w/ pork. My seasoning mix was for 25lb batch and I broke a cardinal rule and just threw some more in at the end and to make matters worse then I added a cup of dried jalapeno flakes. I felt this was needed cuz I couldn't smell anything - have the end of a cold. Luckily I fried som up in a pan before I stuffed. Anyway its scorching hot and over seasoned. Should I add 5lbs, 7-1/2lbs meat or more? Looking for a good place to start the thawing, grinding etc.

16-Feb-17
There is always road kill. Or, you could ask November to hunt his ranch or hunt Door County. I hear tons of Deer there. Are you near a food bank?

16-Feb-17
Wausaudug- Oh boy! Not knowing what amount you "threw in" and the end, but this is what I would do. I would divide what you have into 4 batches - 6.75 lbs each(give or take) Take one of these and add a couple of pounds of unseasoned ground meat to the "hot" mix and try that, continue adding until you get what you like. Weigh the total weight of the good batch and add the same amount to the other 3 batches and stuff away!

A cup of dried jalapeno peppers is on heck of a lot of peppers!!!! Cheese might cut the heat also.

Good luck!

07-Mar-17
Not a crisis but I fell short of my goal of five and friends are asking for venison.

07-Mar-17
With no doe's in the north I can't remember the last time I shot a deer. That's not a fib either!

07-Mar-17
If you rely on venison as a food source. Then. You should go to a food shelf. !! Indian term for poor hunter. Vegetarian!! Drive the roads for road kill!!

07-Mar-17
If you rely on venison as a food source. Then. You should go to a food shelf. !! Indian term for poor hunter. Vegetarian!! Drive the roads for road kill!!

07-Mar-17
A nice marbled NY Strip, fillet or Porterhouse is my preference over venison every day of the week. My son killed a deer last year and that is all my family needs. We use it for ground meat and sausage mostly but prefer beef overall.

08-Mar-17
My only crisis is having to buy another freezer. I killed four bucks in four states gave two away and was still out of room. We have been eating three meals a week to get us down to a manageable level. The goal is to be zero balance on venison by the 2nd week in September. I guess this is a good problem to have. Tom

08-Mar-17
I have enough venison with one deer a year. wife doesn't eat it. It usually last till early september.

08-Mar-17
We go through 2 - 3 deer a year between wife and kids. 2 is good if we don't have sausage and stuff made. The wife prefers venison over beef. It's a good thing when hunting is good, not a good thing when hunting is bad. I hunt public land primarily now, so it changes every year.

08-Mar-17
Roadkill can be very good this time of year . Roadkill hunting for Raccoon is top shelf in the spring . Good luck .

09-Mar-17
Question for you JimBow. Did the post work? Anyone send you some meat?????

09-Mar-17
Two deer this year is just right for my wife and myself. Have a little bear meat that some of the hunters donated to me also.

09-Mar-17
I will be setting a few traps again now that I have slowed down again. If you are in to eating Beaver let me know.

• Sitka Gear