nehunter 27-Feb-17
notme 27-Feb-17
jdrdeerslayer 27-Feb-17
nehunter 27-Feb-17
jdrdeerslayer 03-Mar-17
nehunter 03-Mar-17
N8tureBoy 03-Mar-17
17-Feb-17
Don't forget he Sportsmen's show is next weekend. Probably head up there on Sunday and take a look around.

17-Feb-17
I will be there Friday and Sunday. My Ct buck will be on display at the Northeast Big Buck Club.

17-Feb-17
Hey Ne hunter - shoot me a pm so I know which buck to look for -

If anybody else has bucks on display let us know - would be real nice to put the deer with the guys on here !!!

17-Feb-17
Aw, now that's just bragging!! Or to put it another way,.....wish it was my buck on display. Forget the PM, just post a pic on the thread so we all can see it.

17-Feb-17

nehunter's embedded Photo
They put a score and name under each mount, my name is Steve Davis. CT always has some of the best scoring Deer at the show.

17-Feb-17
Steve - your name is Deer Master to me. What a monster. The width, height and mass is just crazy!! Stop hunting now, you're done. :)

17-Feb-17
What a monster ..seeing epic deer like that come from our fine state keeps me going what did it score and what area of the state? .. I'm home shopping this summer and I'm definitely buying somewhere with a couple of huntable acres .. you don't have to be specific.... awesome buck!!

17-Feb-17
Be hunts private land in the NW corner typically.

17-Feb-17
100% private land. Goshen mostly and it scored 183"

23-Feb-17
I'll be up there tommorow. Can't wait to see your buck in person, it's a giant.

24-Feb-17
Nehunter saw your buck today in person. That's a true CT monster, very impressive congrats again.

24-Feb-17
Thanks Dave. That was the smallest turnout I have ever seen. It's sad that this show is downsizing every Year. I did see a lot of guys over 65 and I'm afraid whats going to happen when they pass on. David did you notice that too?

24-Feb-17
Yes my friend and I have probably been there I'm guessing the last 8-10 years. This year was the smallest by far. It was very sad to see, I told him that unfortunately it looks like the beginning of the end for that show. A lot less vendors and exhibitors, everyone was commenting on it. It did look as though there were a lot of 65+ year old there, however I was hoping that was due to it being a Friday, hopefully it will be busier and back to the norm tommorow.

25-Feb-17
I've never gone. Probably lack of advertising. Can some one paste a link to their website?

25-Feb-17
I noticed last year the lack of vendors, deals and show goers. I myself probably wouldn't go but my kids look forward to it. So we'll be there around noon today. I heard the one in PA is huge and you need two days to get through it. Crow, I don't know how to paste but go to Springfield Sportsman Show

25-Feb-17
NE - checked out your buck - fantastic

I thought show was a definite letdown - I was there yesterday around 2pm

The PA show is huge - also very crowded but huge

25-Feb-17
Is there even an outdoor show in ct anymore? Used to be up near the Meadows. The Springfield show years ago had an indoor 3d shoot and was pretty big/good. Seems to get smaller each year. Low sportsman attendance means less vendors. Who's to blame? I guess gate receipts would tell the story.

25-Feb-17
That show really started losing draw when they stopped the archery tournament.

As I recall, the Springfield show was started by Roy Goodwin, who was the publisher and editor of the Bowhunting News. Bowhunting News was a monthly newsletter for some state archery associations east of the Mississippi . The unity the newsletter created was good for the sport across the region , however, unethical accounting practices within the organization, failed to accurately support the Connecticut archers. The newsletter folded, and shortly thereafter, the tournament stopped. Also, I think the internet put everything archers need at their fingertips and the hunting guide services began to drop away due to lack of attendance.

25-Feb-17

N8tureBoy's Link
Buckndoe - Its not too far out...

25-Feb-17
N8tureBoy,

The show in Hartford was always worse than Springfield. It was mostly a boat show.

26-Feb-17
I was there sat afternoon Ne your deer is a deer of a life time in any state . Im glad it's from ours. Very well done

26-Feb-17
I went saturday...it is definitely shrinking....I too think it lack of advertisement used to be you would hear about it on a bunch of different radio stations newspapers etc...now nothing. Also no archery shoot not sure why tho... Anyway I booked a 2019 newfoundland moose hunt and a NC hog hunt in april

26-Feb-17
Not to mention it cost me and my boys $50 to walk through the door.

26-Feb-17
I'm with ya soapdish 14 bucks to walk thru the door to spend more of your hard earned money. Were they charging for parking too. All outfitters at this show looking for your money. I read an article maybe even here that said good outfitters are booked by word of mouth and therefore don't need a presence at outdoor shows which kinda makes sense to me. Their either bad outfitters or new trying to build a client base. I have a friend who has a connection to private elk hunting in New Mexico's trophy unit. He says there are these poor guys getting swindled for thousands from lots of shady "elk guides". He tells me the abuse is rampant in New Mexico

27-Feb-17
Speaking of guided hunts. I ran into an old school mate at Cabela's one day and he was telling me how there are a lot of hunts booked through Cabela's that fall through for various reasons. He said you can pick them up for half Price.

27-Feb-17
Cabela's hunts are usually twice what the outfitter charges. An outfit I used in Maine signed on with the Cabela's outfitter assoc and raised his Bear hunt from $1600 to $3200. All he gets now is wealthy guys from NY City, Washington DC and Philly. No more local New England guys, they can afford it.

27-Feb-17
I also finalized my 2018 Newfoundland Moose hunt.

27-Feb-17
was free to park now it's 5 was $5 to get in now it's 14 was 3 buildings now 1 & 1/2 plus some dog show mixed in?? I heard Canada is one Caribou only this year , same price and are closing the season next year. don't recall any Guided Caribou hunts at the show this year. I may have missed some though?

27-Feb-17

nehunter's Link
Pat, they only changed their name, and the Maine Bear hunt came down to $2995.00!

27-Feb-17
Wait,i may be slow but isn't $53,000 for a 12 day az sheep hunt just a tad high??...its not the mythical golden fleece is it ??...crap at $4400.a day I hope there's a sack full of yaya,a couple of sweet hangers on and a happy meal each night

27-Feb-17
Nehunter who you book with for moose ....outfitter we choose was booked til 19....which we were ok with .

27-Feb-17

Tuckermore Lodge. But we are hunting with the son out of his outpost camp. 3 hours via Argo from Tuckermore. J&B outfitters. Only takes 4 hunters per week. Had two weeks open.

03-Mar-17
Nice we are going week of 10/20/19 we all choose that date because it's typically a slow week deer hunting lol....

03-Mar-17
You going to the same place?

03-Mar-17
3 hours via Argo sounds painful but prob well worth it to get away from the crowds

• Sitka Gear