Kid venison 19-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 19-Feb-17
air leak 19-Feb-17
N8tureBoy 19-Feb-17
notme 19-Feb-17
bigbuckbob 20-Feb-17
18-Feb-17

N8tureBoy's Link
I got permission to bow hunt on a small farm today! Looking forward to September, but in the meantime, the farmer said he has been pulling his hair out with woodchucks destroying his crops. His wife said he was very similar to Bill Murray in Caddyshack with his obsession about the woodchucks this past year. I said I would be happy to fling some arrows at them this spring. Now I just need to make good on my offer. I don't like the idea of shooting anything I don't plan to eat. Anyone ever eat woodchuck?

18-Feb-17
I saw a uncle ted show where he said in the off season he hunts what he called Michigan grizzly....said they're tasty...my father shot one I wouldn't eat it..them old time pizans ate anything

18-Feb-17
Tastes like fresh pork.

18-Feb-17
Thanks. That's encouraging. Will try to post Go Pro footage

18-Feb-17
Taste just like a beaver, just a little drier....A lil hot sauce goes a long ways.

18-Feb-17
Whip cream on beaver is great..hot sauce eh..

18-Feb-17

18-Feb-17

19-Feb-17

Mike in CT's embedded Photo
Mike in CT's embedded Photo
Notme,

What do you think of this application of whipped cream?

19-Feb-17
The liberal application only enhances the soulful goodness inside...and she ain't bad either..

19-Feb-17
Not as easy as you think .. my father is another Bill Murray type and tells me to stop over and shoot them with my 17hmr .. I wouldn't bother flinging arrows .. being able to draw down on one within range is like drawing on a turkey in a parking lot without a blind .. unless your going to sit all day long in a blind or spot them all day out the window.. you'll never get without commitment.. or 17hmr or 22 cal . I've only killed two with a bow and it was when I lived with my dad one of them just woke up from winter nap and the other one I spotted out the back window and was able to sneak around the corner of the house and get a kill .. other then that I've never bean able to hunt successfully with a bow unless you have all summer to waste/ hunt gofers..if you use traps haveaheart traps can work but you need some bait with nectar like peaches or plums honey Mellon .. good luck .. 17hmr on a sunny afternoon is your best bet ...once you scare them they are 10 times as hard to kill

19-Feb-17
That's too much whipped cream you can't even see the beaver

19-Feb-17
N8..congrats on getting a small farm to hunt, it's not easy!

IMO..the farmer wants the woodchucks gone. I would not waste time using your bow.

If you don't already own a 22 or 17, I would suggest getting one. New, with a scope combo is 3-400, pre-owned, half that.

Keep the farmer happy. By September, it sounds better to tell him that you killed x amount of wc, by using a rifle, than to say to him...well, I missed a couple with the bow.

I also eat what we kill. However, have you ever heard of someone eating a coyote?

There is a season on coyotes and wc for a reason.

Besides, toss any wc that you kill in the back and when coyotes come in to eat the dead wc, whack them also!

Good luck and keep us posted.

19-Feb-17
Thanks guys. Trust me, my Ruger 10/22 was the first thing that came to mind, but this is a small farm and after measuring on Google Earth, with the 500' restriction I would be limited to a very very small area. I also have a .22 air rifle, but it sounds like the 500' restriction applies to "all loaded firearms". Will have to see where they roam and also maybe see if the farmer can talk to his neighbor and get me written permission to shoot within the 500' boundary, which would make sense since it would allow me to shoot away from the neighbors house. Season begins March 15th. Hooray!

Farmer has already tried Have-a heart traps with no success. Thanks for the tip though, Kid venison, maybe it was his choice of bait. Will try melons.... and speaking of melons.... I think the beaver prefers whipped cream to hot sauce for a reason... : )

19-Feb-17
Ever see a beaver after hot sauce was put on it...not a pretty sight..lots of kicking n screaming n flailing...oooooo,not good for beaver or trapper

20-Feb-17
Ouch!

• Sitka Gear