Tweed 08-Mar-17
casekiska 08-Mar-17
Tweed 08-Mar-17
Tweed 08-Mar-17
skookumjt 08-Mar-17
casekiska 08-Mar-17
Tweed 08-Mar-17
21-Feb-17
The Wisconsin Bowhunters Association will be having its 2017 convention March 3-4-5 at the Chula Vista Resort in the Wisconsin Dells. The event will run from 3:00 p.m. Friday, through Saturday, and will conclude after the business meeting on Sunday. A youth NASP tournament will be featured as will a vendor area, trophy display, WBH store sales opportunity, no less than five different seminars, an awards banquet, and the annual membership meeting. Noted bowhunter Tom Miranda will be the keynote speaker and will offer an entertaining session regarding a life in the outdoors and his bowhunting accomplishments.

All bowhunters in Wisconsin are invited to attend. Hint, Saturday is the best day with the most to do and see! The banquet is that evening. There's still time to register but you've got to act quickly, registration closes Monday. Call (715) 823-4670. You do not have to be a WBH member to attend the convention or the banquet. Welcome to all. Hope to see you there!

21-Feb-17
A great organization to support!

21-Feb-17
See u Saturday.

21-Feb-17
I will be be there Friday night to start the festivities. Hope to see you there.

23-Feb-17
Looking forward to visiting with other bowhunters that I haven't talked to since last year. It will be interesting to see who was successful and if they bring a mount to display. I liked that big full body mounted black bear last year.

23-Feb-17
I will be there for the weekend. A good time as usual. It will be good to see everyone and see what's new with everyone. I will be picking up some Gold Pins for some new Youth Members and my Youth Bear Hunter is in the running for the Big Bear Youth Division Award.

24-Feb-17
Hey, do I dare post on here? I will be there all 3 days so I hope I don't put my back out on the first day again. Casekiska, I would like to put one of your books in the Directors raffle like I do with the Drakes Adventures book each year. If it is not sold out yet. I try to support our sponsors. I figure you might be putting one or two in there.

24-Feb-17
Yep, I do have books left. I also was going to donate. But I will make sure you get what you need. In advance, thanks for all. Everything is falling in place for the convention and I am looking forward to the silent auction being conducted this year. Should be interesting, to see what the guys bring in for sale. Just a week away now, looking forward to it.

24-Feb-17
I'll donate that $800.00 recurve I won at the P & Y Rendezvous to the silent auction. 55 pounds is too big for an old guy like me. Are you running that?

24-Feb-17
Yes, that's my assigned task for the weekend. Very generous of you to donate that bow, that'll get some attention! Thank-you. Wow! I've heard from some other guys outside this forum, this silent auction is getting better 'n better all the time. This will be the first time (to the best of my knowledge) the WBH has done such a thing. I hope it goes over well so guys can find great deals on tackle they've wanted but haven't got around to purchasing yet.

25-Feb-17
We have some prints of hunting scenes. would they be something to donate for that auction?

25-Feb-17
Stan - I believe those prints would be a worthwhile donation and do think quality hunting scene prints would be in demand for cabin, den, or home décor. Thanks Stan - looking forward to seeing you & Carolyn in a few days.

25-Feb-17
Very nice Stan. Hope to see you there. I hear they are going to make you sit with Wright.

26-Feb-17
You can't winn them all

26-Feb-17
LOL Stan. Now you are back to your old handle. Was trying to get a rise out of you. The best thing about sitting with Wright is that you get to sit with Shirley. She is the brains & looks of that family. Kind of reminds me of you.....Ha.

26-Feb-17
I hear you are quite a spearfisherman.

26-Feb-17
Casekiska - can you explain the silent auction for those that don't know about it?

Thanks

26-Feb-17
Hello Mike - I'll do the best I can to explain the WBH silent auction as I know it at this time. For everyone however, please understand this is something new for the association and all of the exact details of the procedure have yet to be determined. As this coming week progresses and then as next weekend proceeds I am sure there will be kinks to be smoothed out and adjustments to be made to the process.

Some WBH members have outdoor and/or bowhunting related items they no longer need and are willing to part with. The items are then brought to the convention by the member and checked in. The WBH accepts these items and puts them on display for all to see. Interested parties may examine what is brought in and then place a written bid on the item(s) they would like; there's a sign-up sheet with each item and the bidder simply writes his/her name on the sheet along with their bid. At a specified time ( and this is announced for all to know), bidding is closed and the highest bidder is able to purchase that item for the bid specified. The WBH and the donor member then divide equally the $$$ received. It is anticipated that some members will forgo the 50/50 split and donate the entire amount to the WBH.

This silent auction is a fund raising activity for the WBH and is being modeled after silent auctions held by other organizations.

Since this is the first year of our silent auction the WBH is requesting members limit their contribution to one or two items of good quality archery equipment. In future years, the list of new or used items in good working condition will, undoubtedly, be expanded.

This is the silent auction procedure as I believe it is going to happen. I hope I have explained it accurately and completely. If not, I apologize and ask for some latitude here as we all adjust to this new opportunity for convention attendees to acquire quality items at a reduced cost, and as members are able to assist the WBH with their donations.

26-Feb-17
Thanks casekiska, sounds like you have it under control. I didn't know it was 50/50. Sounds like you will be busy keeping track of a lot. I may bring my lucky undies then. Suppose I should wash them first. Should be interesting to see how it goes. I don't want anything back from my donations but it might be nice for those that have things to sell. Good target audience.

26-Feb-17
To answer a PM - Yes, members may place a minimum price on the items they are donating. Sorry, I should have included this info.

26-Feb-17
QDM, you got me figured out already. I did have a great time spearing for the first time. Met some great people out on the ice and it didn't hurt my back. I didn't get to wrestle a big Sturgeon but maybe next time.

26-Feb-17
albino- Not hard to figure you out. Poptarts, bows and arrows, spearing, bears, it's all good!

26-Feb-17
What else is there??? I think I will donate a Florida Hog Hunt that I can't go on this year. I was planning to upgrade it to a Osceola Turkey Hunt but I didn't need a Grand Slam anyway. Maybe I'll have them put it in the Bucket Raffles. It's at Irvs Hog Camp in South Florida if anyone wants to look up what the options are.

26-Feb-17
Thinking about bringing my ReR Recurve and a dozen arrows. I don't shoot it anymore. Maybe someone could find it a new home???

27-Feb-17
Well, that worked out better than expected. My ReR and arrows found a new home. Thanks

01-Mar-17
It will be interesting to meet Tom Miranda

01-Mar-17
Should be a great convention all around.

02-Mar-17
Looking forward to seeing everyone. Travel safe and let's have some fun!!! I am looking forward to hearing and meeting Tom Miranda.

04-Mar-17
Tom Miranda's speech about being involved and represent our sport well was great. Glad I got a chance to hear him during the day and especially at the banquet.

04-Mar-17
I agree, Tom had a great message. The Association awarded a youth bear hunt to a young cute bowhunter that I heard was awefully deadly with a arrow.

05-Mar-17
I spent some time speaking with Tom before his seminar and listened at the banquet. I believe he speaks form the hear, is honest and open. His message was great. It was a busy weekend and good to see a lot of old friends and make some new ones.

05-Mar-17
I had a great time considering the pain I was is was almost unbearable. Always great seeing old friends, Making new ones and talking with folks that love the bow & arrow & challenge of how we do it. I even got a whole new respect for a couple long time members that really showed their true colors this weekend.

05-Mar-17
Mike - thanks for enduring the pain and adding, as a Director, positive energy & efforts for all. Everyone gained because of your contributions.

"...a whole new respect for a couple long time members that really showed their true colors this weekend." Everyone who heard what they said witnessed outstanding understanding and concern for their fellow man. Although you did not identify the situation, most that were there know exactly what you are talking about. The result became one of redemption borne of respect and, it could be argued, could not have had a better outcome. It was, and remains, a heartfelt moment.

Tom Miranda tailored his presentation to WI and WI bowhunters across the state. There were times when everyone was 100% hard focused on him and you could almost, except for his voice, have heard a pin drop. He captured everyone's attention and we all walked away richer for the experience. Good man, good speaker, great bowhunter. What more could you ask for speaker at a bowhunter's banquet?

The whole convention was good. Seeing old friends from across the state, and meeting new folks. Meeting guys you know on-line and then being able to connect a name with a face. It was all good. There were two guys at my banquet table from over near Milwaukee who were not WBH members. By the end of the dinner they both said they were going to join! Some pretty impressive trophies brought in for the displays,...guys got 'em last fall. Big racks. One full body mount of a huge Black Bear. Very impressive. The NASP tournament for our youth went off well, 100's of kids shot & had fun,...tomorrow's archers & bowhunters. We need 'em.

Next year the convention is in Stevens Point at the Holiday Inn. That will be another great time. The guys that are not members of the WBH and do not come to this convention are missing out on a great experience! You owe it to yourself to be there!

06-Mar-17
Case, why does WBH refuse to move the convention farther north?

06-Mar-17
The convention was perfect like normal. Thank you to all the directors and their wifes for making the convention such a great time.

06-Mar-17
Rut- The Dells area is pretty centrally located for the whole state when using the highway system.

The mean population center for Wisconsin is almost due East of the Dells near Green Lake.

06-Mar-17
I disagree with that. There are a ton of bowhunters in the north. Having it in Eau Claire sometime would be more inclusive to people farther north. Better yet move it around the state. Not just the same few places in the same general area.

06-Mar-17
The do ask for members input on the convention sites. There was a questionnaire that everyone could have filled out at the meeting yesterday.

Remember it takes a lot of time and hard work to set up a convention. It also isn't something that happens over night......

06-Mar-17
Hello RutnStrut, When I first read your question I took issue with the use of the word "refuse". Then as I thought about how to compose an answer I came to realize that perhaps "refuse" rises to the level of the frustration felt by members who have not had a convention in their part of the state. So, let me offer a few ideas here and we'll see how this works. Keep in mind however that I can just offer a few comments. I am unsure if they will address all of your concerns or assuage any frustration felt.

The WBH leadership is aware that a annual convention has not been held in the northern part of the state since,....well, maybe forever. In all honesty, I am not sure when or even if there was ever one north of Eau Claire. Be that as it may, everyone realizes that most/all conventions lately have been held near to the central part of the state and not up north. The leadership has heard this from the membership and is attempting to respond.

As of late, the response has taken two forms.

First, an informal survey was taken this past weekend at the annual convention in the Wisconsin Dells. A questionnaire was handed out to all attendees and their opinions regarding annual convention locations were sought. The members were asked to turn in their completed questionnaires for the WBH leadership to review.

Then secondly, due to the concerns of the northern WBH members who are requesting a convention in their area, I prepared an article for this upcoming issue of the WBH magazine, "The BOWHUNTER". In an attempt to be as accurate as possible and to not provide any misleading information, I did consult with members of the WBH Executive Board on this issue. Their input was both helpful and valuable. This article does go into some detail on the venue requirements, scheduling concerns, and price considerations. When I wrote the article I tried to illustrate a few of the complexities involved in selecting a convention site, and I believe I did. However, I further believe this will not satisfy all WBH members, probably mostly those living in the northern section of the state. Beyond trying to explain the how and why decisions concerning selecting a convention site are made as they are, I am at a loss to offer any additional explanation.

The next issue of the WBH magazine will be coming out this spring and there will be follow-up on this convention location concern in that issue. I believe then you will be made aware of how the decision is made. Whether or not you will agree with any particular decision remains to be seen, but at least then you will have an understanding of how & why the decisions are made as they are.

If any WBH member has an issue with something related to bowhunting or the association, I urge that member to contact and discuss it with the Director in their area. All Director's names and contact information are listed in every issue of "The BOWHUNTER".

Thanks for asking Rut,...I think this question needed to be asked. If, after my article comes out, you still have concerns I would welcome hearing from you again.

06-Mar-17
Case, a good response and I will be looking forward to reading your article ion THE BOWHUNTER this spring.

As far as I know Eau Claire is the northernmost city the convention has been held in and that was back in the 80s. Explanations will be more i the article. But I have some suggestion; those bowhunters (member and non member) should petition the BOD and/or attend the business meeting to show that there would be attendance at a northern location. Would hunters from the southern part of the State attend? The interstate is in the area so roads might not be much of an issue.

There are not a lot of sportshow up here and fewer 3d shoots but both the Association and hunting community could make a better show at these to see if there is the interest. I know that WBH membership is low in District One so how can we get more hunters to sign up and attend?

07-Mar-17
I don't care where the convention is held. The only one I won't go to is Oshkosh until they update the Hotel.

I travel to other conventions all across the US, so a 4-5 hour drive is a walk in the park for me.

07-Mar-17
Case, thanks for the response both here and in PM. I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me about this. I sure wish I had gotten those kind of thoughtful replies to any of my questions when I was a WBH member. Heck any replies would have been good. Although I disagree with some of how WBH handles things. I am going to send my membership in again. They do a lot of good, I can't let my issues blind me to that. Next year I will be in Point at the convention. I look forward to meeting many of you. Yes even Ron oops I mean woodsdweller;)

08-Mar-17
Woodsdweller and anyone else who is not a member -

You don't have to be a member to attend the Vendor Display or seminars on Saturday. The cost is $5 to get in and see the stuff and sit in on the seminars. Might be a good chance to meet some of the people here and see what it's all about.

08-Mar-17
I continue to LOL at Ronny and his delusional life as a pathological liar. Now he is talking about joining the WBH using an alt when everyone knows who he is under this alt. Holy crap - you can't make this stuff up. A 50 some year old man living in a world of delusion.

I remember when his son, posting under Bow_Tech lied about who he was and pretended to meet Ronny at Deer Fest and would not post a pic of himself. That of course was after he was posting under a different alt and posted pics of his vacation to MX and someone recognized him. The whole family is one cuckoo mess. It makes for good reading though.

08-Mar-17
Know what's worse than rc????? Everyone being obsessed with RC and accusing each other of being RC.

Talk about living rent free... Good grief.

08-Mar-17
To Rut - welcome back. Glad to have you aboard again. To All - did you know you can get current WBH membership information on-line? You can join or rejoin on-line too. (Maybe that's how Rut is going to do it.) Anyrate, just go on to the new WBH website, click on the links (and there's a bunch of 'em) that interest you and you can get just about all the up to date info you desire. I know the WBH is not for everyone, but perhaps you will discover it is for you. If so, welcome.

08-Mar-17
I'm petty.... What really has me considering WBH membership is the pocket knife.

Do they hold a decent edge?

08-Mar-17
Albino or Case - is WBH Doing anything to help archery to stay or get back into Wisconsin H. S. phy-ed?

08-Mar-17
Tweed is looking for archery to be put back into the curriculum in school like it was when I was in school. Curriculum would be a required part of physical education. NASP is a club activity that students can elect to participate in.

08-Mar-17
Perhaps Albino knows something about this, if so I hope he will also answer. Or, if there is anyone else who can speak to this, please jump in.

I can tell you that I know of no "official" program by any organization that is attempting to get archery introduced into a WI school physical education curriculum, at any grade or age level. I do think the best thing we have going for us is NASP (as Woods & Skook mentioned). This is a fairly young program, but it has grown by leaps and bounds and has now spread across the U.S. Literally, tens of thousands of youth across our country are involved in the program and it has done wonders for promoting archery and, in turn, bowhunting. Plus, let me add that many, many individual bowhunting clubs have specified and dedicated programs for young members. The WBH has a youth membership plan and publishes a youth edition of "The BOWHUNTER." The WBH sponsors a NASP tournament each year at their annual convention. Other clubs in WI dedicate many man-hours each year to youth archery teaching shooting skills and trying to recruit youngsters into the ranks. You go to the state fair in Milwaukee and you'll see an area manned by volunteer instructors teaching rudimentary shooting skills to youngsters. Attend the WI Deer and Turkey Show at the Dane County Fairgrounds next month and you'll see a youth shooting booth manned by volunteers from the WTA and the WBH,...they've done this every year for years! Likewise, other "deer shows" across the state have youth areas set aside and are trying to recruit young Robin Hoods.

Bowhunters across WI have taken it upon themselves to try to get kids involved. It seems a shame it is not being done within the educational system as a curriculum option. I am thinking we need someone to step up, lead the charge and get this introduced!

The question is, who?

08-Mar-17
Woodsy.... You do see the connection between bowhunting and archery right?

I would think the WBH sees the connection too.

• Sitka Gear