Naz 24-Feb-17
Hoot 24-Feb-17
Crusader dad 24-Feb-17
Willert88 24-Feb-17
Hoot 24-Feb-17
Tweed 24-Feb-17
Hoot 24-Feb-17
21-Feb-17
I am near the Rusk/Sawyer County line and there is essentially no snow anywhere other than north facing hillsides. I don't remember every having no snow cover on Feb 20th. It looks like we'll have a foot or so on top of the mud by the end of the week but it's not looking like it will stick around long. Does anyone else remember a winter this easy?

21-Feb-17
The lakes I drove by were clear of anyone ice fishing.

21-Feb-17
Extremely rare for sure but winter will return no doubt but for how long? This will be the year with two Springs. Forecast here is for 2-5 inches heavier south of us. It will be messy for sure.

21-Feb-17
Skookumjt _- I can't remember a February with essentially no snow On Feb. 21st. Just some on the north face is all. I'm just west of you and I noticed there is no hazardous warnings for us now. The heaviest snow must be tracking a little south of us towards you. I'll know for sure by Sunday. I saw some trucks out on Rice Lake today, but I wouldn't trust the ice after the rain we had yesterday and last night.

21-Feb-17
Global warming? Are the tree huggers right? Whatever, I sure have enjoyed not having to fight the cold & snow!

Are we somehow going to have to pay for it?

21-Feb-17
I ice fished in the Northern Kettle Moraine this late pm,,,,, 16 inches of ice still on Crooked Lake, and the gills were cooperative, shoreline still good, but walked out of course,,,,, these kettle lakes are deep in bogs, do not get a lot of sun,,,,, should be good all week,,,,, Fond du lac county

21-Feb-17
67 degrees in Kenosha today and may hit 70 tomorrow they say. Snow /rain mix Friday night Saturday. Been nice for sure!

21-Feb-17
Sap running, hoping the apples dont bloom. Winter is not over. Still a foot on the level.

22-Feb-17
Hazardous storm warnings back on for us now. Wish they'd make up their mind. LOL

22-Feb-17
By the end of the day the rest of the ice will be gone from Reefpoint marina in Racine. Earliest I've ever seen. We are only supposed to get a dusting of snow down here on sat. And highs in the low four ties again sun and Monday. to answer the op's question, no, not in my memory do I remember being completely snow free this early in the year even in the southern part of the state.

22-Feb-17
Sawyer county is in a storm Watch not a warning, this is from NWS: A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant snow that may impact travel. Continue to monitor the latest forecasts for updates.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...Greater than 6 inches.

The system has not settled on its path so each day the forecast is adjusted. South of Sawyer will be getting over a foot it sounds like. They are saying probably the biggest storm of the season so far.

22-Feb-17
Smokey - You're right. I meant to say watch. Thursday NightA chance of rain and snow before 8pm, then snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 28. Northeast wind 5 to 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

FridaySnow. Patchy blowing snow between 9am and 10am. High near 30. Northeast wind around 15 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday NightSnow. Low around 17. North northeast wind around 15 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

SaturdayA 20 percent chance of snow before noon.

I hope the word possible doesn't come into play on their forecast.

22-Feb-17
Works for me!

22-Feb-17
Still snow in the pine forest and woods by me. There will be more before spring gets here.....

Mother Nature has her way with things....

This morning I hear 9 plus inches. The plow is ready to move it when it comes.

22-Feb-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Hasn't been any left in Fond Du Lac county for 2 weeks. Southern Waupaca county has patches. Northern Waupaca county where I was syruping this weekend had 9-12 inches yet.

22-Feb-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Seen a Robin today while out and about.

22-Feb-17
Yellow River flood warning in Juneau county through Monday. I hope we get the "wet" conditions out of the way early and the water soaks in before turkey season starts in mid April. Makes it easier on food plot work in April and May. :)

22-Feb-17
Trapper - Are you having a good sap run? I had 50 gallons the first day after I tapped and now it's shut down for the past six days with the these warm evenings. I like your setup, looks about like mine.

22-Feb-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
Hoot, I had 120 gallons on the 17th and 18th. Only tested at 1.5 Percent. AGGGHHH! My Brotherinlaw went to collect today and only had 75 gallons out of 65 taps since Saturday night. We need some cold to get it moving.

22-Feb-17
Hey isn't the big Birkenbiner or whatever it's called this weekend in Cable?

22-Feb-17
It sure is!

I've never done it but that event is in my goal list.

We've been watching people in roller skis going up and down the trial behind us for a few weeks.

22-Feb-17
I love it in Cable! I will be up there for the first week in June!

22-Feb-17
NWS now forecasting 8-12" for Sawyer County.

I work part time for the Birkie; this is coming at the wrong time. Really frustrating this week. Everything changes by the hour each day.

22-Feb-17
I have heard anything from 2-18" from the upcoming storm. Maybe they could be a little less vague.

22-Feb-17
Smoke what will happen if by chance the snow is gone or isn't enough for the skiing? I heard 12000 people from all over the world come to this cross country skiing thing.

22-Feb-17
It could be a disaster for the Birkie. We have some friends that stay here, but have cancelled for the Birkie this year as they didn't want risk the drive. They sent me the following.

If there's measurable snow Friday "there is a very slim chance that a one-way, timed race could be held (American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet and Prince Haakon races)."

- If enough snow comes and "conditions are such that 10,000 plus participants can safely ski, however unsafe for a competitive race, there is a possibility of an untimed, open-track, looped-event on the Birkie Trail (north of OO) for the American Birkebeiner, Kortelopet and Prince Haakon events."

- No snow = party. "This year's will be a Birkie, Korte & Prince Haakon like none other. Participants will be part of a first -ever winter Birkie run and street party celebration in downtown Hayward. Live music, Birkie Brew-Ski, food vendors, and a festival atmosphere!"

“While this may not look like a typical week, it will be absolutely one to remember," Popp said. "We'll have a 2017 Birkie celebration like no other with or without snow!"

It wouldn't be the first time that the weather has scrambled plans for the big ski race. In 2007, the race course was cut to 25 kilometers after temperatures reached the 50s. In other years, the race course has been reversed, and other modifications were made to deal with snow challenges.

Organizers promise to give an update on their plans Wednesday.

22-Feb-17
Thanks Hoot. I stay at Mogasheen resort up there in Cable and they rely heavily on that to fill their cabins during "off" season. They are good people and hope for the best.

22-Feb-17
Pas - You are right on, so many people depend on the Birkie to help them financially get through the winter. The economic impact could be horrific.

22-Feb-17
There will be something happening so people will come. Some will cancel but there still will be some coming for the event and it does help the community. The one time it was canceled completely it was canceled the night before the race. So this time it is hoping by holding some type of event that many will still come.

The snow on friday will make it hard for travel but can make for a good but shortened race.

I look at a lot of weather sites but mostly believe only NWS and only about 2 days forecast for any accuracy. Anything longer than that and the storm can shift changing any outcome.

Preparations have been taking place.

Thunder, hail, rain and lightning tonight here in Seeley.

23-Feb-17
Thursday morning update: The NWS website this AM is now forecasting 4-6 inches for the western northwestern half of Sawyer county and Bayfield county which covers the Birkie trail. It will be interesting to see what it ends up being.

23-Feb-17
What great timing. Cross your fingers that you get some.

23-Feb-17
If I was in charge of the Birkenbeiner, with this lack of snow I'd just line all them people up shoulder to shoulder and have one hell of a shed antler hunt!

23-Feb-17
South farm, awesome idea.

Now the forecast is dropping of on snow amounts. The way this storm is moving around it could be on Dancing with the Stars.

23-Feb-17
Good for the herd, but tough as a far as this dad goes. I got jacked out of Christmas with my wife's family. No skiing, snowshoeing, sledding or ice fishing between Christmas and New Years because of that.

Two other ice fishing weekends got erased from the calendar. No Birkie. An eight year old who's busting my chops relentlessly because we haven't been able to snow camp.

The woods around here are nothing but soggy, mucky clay so no shed hunting.

I'm not digging the ridiculous hours that I'm working and the kids are complaining that we're not doing anything fun anymore.

The backyard is a mess to shoot in and the neighbor lady was complaining about shooting bows on the driveway.

We're in that phase of the year where there's an orchestra concert, a band concert, individual black tie solo concerts, solo ensemble judging contests, play practice, Confirmation, Junior Honor Society, service projects, crazy homework... I'm pretty shack-whacky.

I'm glad that the winter has been so mild. I hope this year's fawns are abundant and healthy and a lot avoid the wolves, but I could use a good snow to camp out with the kids... and before you go there, I already suggested it.

"Dad. We want to snow camp. Snow camp. Not muck camp!"

24-Feb-17
8 AM Friday and no snow has fallen overnight. Forecast now is for 2-4" here. Storm was a bust for this area.

24-Feb-17
Just started snowing here in So. Washburn Co, but very light.

24-Feb-17
2-24-17, 9:00 a.m., Northern Dane County - about 1/2 - 1" of snow on ground. Some freezing rain/drizzle.

24-Feb-17
Currently at my home in Minnesota. Rochester MN I think officially got 11 inches, at our house it was at least 12 inches of wet heavy stuff that fell on thawed ground that was already saturated and got an unknown about of light rain before the snow started. To top that off power was out. I made a total mess plowing, I put chains on the front of the truck before I even started plowing which I am sure kept me out of trouble. The heavy diesel engine still pushed my front tires into the soft gravel and ground in many places. But it is done, at least until any second phase hits us. I sure made a mess tho. The power came back pretty quick, (right after I got the wood furnace stoked up. The highway truck came thru just as I finished plowing, so I had to go back and reopen the end of the driveway. We are set to do inside stuff today. Oh ya, and I bought a pair of snow shoes on sale at Sams club yesterday, I jinxed it for sure.

Good news is that yesterday I made a pile of dry branches setup for burning a ton of branches. Covered it with a tarp. Now I can take the snow and the tarp off, put some biger dry stuff on it, lite it up, and feed 5 huge piles of branches that have been waiting to get burned. But wind needs to change direction first.

24-Feb-17
Door/Kewaunee counties, not much "good" ice left on Green Bay and now about 3-6 inches of heavy, wet, insulating snow on top of the honeycombed 10-15 inches of ice in many areas (one friend punched through a foot of rotting ice with just three chisel punches two days ago). Wonder how many goof nuts will think this "return to cold" is enough and head back offshore in the coming week? Disaster waiting to happen. Lots of vehicles went in last week near shore.

24-Feb-17
Snowing heavier here now in So. Washburn County. Pushing close to 3" now. Not wet and heavy--24 degrees. It's probably too little too late for the Birkie. I feel bad for the skiers that traveled great distances to ski.

24-Feb-17
Still all rain in the south.

24-Feb-17
Probably around 7-8in in Stanley. Still some light flurries coming down.

24-Feb-17
HAYWARD — Organizers of the American Birkebeiner ski race have canceled this year’s event in northern Wisconsin.

A snow storm that’s dumped more than 10 inches of snow in parts of Wisconsin since Thursday missed the Hayward and Cable area where the annual cross-country race is held. Officials say record high temperatures and rain recently have left the Birkie course unsafe for a race on Saturday.

The accompanying races, Kortelopet and Prince Haakon, are also canceled.

The American Birkebeiner Ski Foundation bills the event as the largest country-country ski race in North America. Last year’s event attracted more than 13,000 skiers from 46 states and 22 countries.

24-Feb-17
They're still going to have one heck of a party though aren't they?

24-Feb-17
Tweed - I'm sure they'll have helluva party. Here's what I've seen since the cancellation.

The American Birkebeiner is North America’s largest cross-country ski race which runs from Cable to Hayward, Wisconsin, finishing on the snow-covered Main Street of Hayward. After record high temperatures and over 1.5 inches of rain, race officials closed the Birkie Trail from Cable to Hayward 8-days ago to preserve the trail for this week’s originally planned races. Shortly thereafter, Lake Hayward was deemed unsafe for use in the ski-race which caused race officials to focus contingency plans on the Birkie Trail from the American Birkebeiner Trailhead, east of Cable, WI, to the OO Trailhead, east of Seeley, WI.

After discussion with a wide constituency of key stakeholders including emergency and medical officials, trail crew, and others, the ABSF board determined the greater ski course was unsafe for a timed race. Areas of the Birkie Trail were lacking snow, icy, or simply unsuitable for use. As always, the safety of event participants is first and foremost in the minds of ABSF officials, followed by a goal of creating the best possible participant experience for all. Both things are weighed and considered with each and every decision the ABSF makes.

“While we know Birkie, Korte, and Prince Haakon skiers are disappointed with this announcement, I am confident that the ABSF staff did everything within their power to preserve the trail for a safe race,” said Ben Popp, ABSF Executive Director. “We know that the Birkie is so much more than a race to so many. Birkie skiers are passionate about the overall experience. It is in that Birkie Fever spirit that we’re excited to celebrate the love of Nordic sports with skiers and spectators alike at the American Birkebeiner Trailhead. It’ll be a Birkie celebration like none-other!”

In lieu of the annual iconic ski race, the ABSF looks forward to celebrating the inaugural use of the American Birkebeiner Trailhead and start area with BirkieStock 2017 – a Birkie celebration unlike any other!

Skiers, spectators, friends, and the general public are invited! Beginning at 9:30am on Saturday, February 25, 2017, buses will begin transporting riders from the Como Parking Lot, off of Highway 63 and south of Cable, WI, to the American Birkebeiner Trailhead. For those anxious to get some time on their skis, the trail crew is creating an estimated 5K loop for skiers to ski once, twice or as many times as they’d like! Live music begins at 11:45am and plays to 5:00pm. Festival goers can visit the Birkie soup tent, try a Birkie Brew-ski, watch the Nordic World Championships on the jumbo screen, grab a brat, visit the Birkie Store, and more! Plus, we’ve moved the On Snow Ski & Bike Demo from Sunday, February 26, to Saturday, February 25, so guests can try out the latest ski gear and fat bikes!

• Sitka Gear