Jebediah 08-Mar-17
Jebediah 14-Mar-17
mboudreau 15-Mar-17
huntskifishcook 22-Mar-17
Jebediah 25-Mar-17
muzzy 25-Mar-17
Jebediah 25-Mar-17
24-Feb-17
If I remember correctly there are at least a few guys on here who tap maple trees in the spring. Last year was my first year and I'm just getting ready to tap on Saturday. This extreme warm weather really came fast after such a cold, snowy streak. How many of you guys are already tapped? and what has been your experience with such weather extremes and how did it effect your final yield?

24-Feb-17

24-Feb-17
I have a small hobby operation in freetown, 50 red maples, and I started 3 weeks ago, been somewhat decent so far, but stretch of warm weather will slow tRees down and if it lasts more than a week might finish my season. If you are in the western part of ma and have sugar maples, you will prob be ok, definitely get them tapped before next freeze imop...

24-Feb-17
Same here, I think while this warm spell probably really ran the clock down on existing tap holes, I imagine newly-tapped trees will do well starting late next week. Good luck, and remember to approach the trees from down wind so you can get close enough with the drill.

24-Feb-17
Just checked, got a surprising amount of sap this week, with some taps still running. Thought it would have shut down altogether with the temps this past week. I will mention as an aside: tremendous number of ticks, be careful.

24-Feb-17
Last comment for now, I promise. There is a web site called "Mapletrader.com" that is pretty good. Like on here, they have a MA forum where you can read what a whole bunch of different people are up to concerning syrup.

24-Feb-17
Thanks guys. I'm kicking myself for starting so late, but with all the snow we were getting I couldn't pry myself from the ski mountain on my days off. The weather does look much better half way through next week.

Jeb, those pesky trees are always winding me! Thanks for the intel on mapletrader.com, I could use about as much help as I can get with this stuff. I only yielded a few quarts last year, with a later tap than this year, if I can beat my yield from last year I'll be a happy camper.

01-Mar-17
Update: Sugar maples are gushing in zone 10. Jeb, you'll be happy to know I successfully stalked 10 maples without being winded. My drill bit pierced their bark before they knew I was there, they never had a chance.

01-Mar-17
Great news, glad it's going well!

08-Mar-17
Hey you're killing me hfc, how's it going in the syrup department?

08-Mar-17
Hey Jeb. Sugar maples slowed down big time this past weekend, but I've had a real hard run the past couple days with the warm weather. I've also got a couple silver maples tapped, but they are not doing great. We've got a real small operation, if we get 2 gallons of syrup for the year it will be a huge success. How are your maple adventures going?

08-Mar-17
Sounds good, glad it's going well. I would guess there's still a few good days ahead. Red maples for me seem to be done, limited number of sugar maples still going. Always a lot of fun, especially if you're the type of guy who likes watching water boil.

14-Mar-17
Well, I finished up the last (it turns out) load of syrup for the year, tastes awful. So the critters will get about a gallon of syrup, will be interesting to see if they like it.

15-Mar-17
It's too bad we couldn't have had these Temps in february, I only have a few trees left on vacuum, might call it after this coming run. Agreed last week's syrup was horrible... oh well, time to think about fishing and target shooting.

22-Mar-17
Cooked a batch last night. Trees are still running hard and sap looked good, the syrup tastes nice and sweet, but has a funky, chemical like after taste. This sap sat in buckets for a week so hoping it just got nasty sitting too long.

25-Mar-17
Hfc glad you got some syrup! Washing buckets this weekend, definitely the least-fun part of the deal.

25-Mar-17

muzzy's embedded Photo
muzzy's embedded Photo
Most of the trees are budding and the sugar content goes away as the trees prepare to flower. I check the sap content with a refractometer and won't boil anything under 2 percent sugar, takes to much sap to make a gallon.

I think the worst part of making syrup is the filtering process. It's painfully slow and very important for clear clean quality syrup.

I use a hydrometer and syrup cup to achieve 66 brix which is the standard measurement

For good syrup boil it as soon as possible after collecting it, you don't have to finish it but boil off as much as you can and keep adding sap. If it sits to long or gets warm it will get a milky type haze to it, I won't boil that and toss it.

I'm? not a big producer of syrup, average about 15 gallons for friends and family. Ship one case to San Diego and another to Orlando Florida. The rest gets sold locally and I'm already sold out.

25-Mar-17
Just checking back in from Jebediahland to reinforce that washing buckets is no fun, particularly in the rain.

• Sitka Gear