Babysaph 11-Mar-17
Babysaph 11-Mar-17
gobbler 11-Mar-17
Babysaph 11-Mar-17
WV Mountaineer 11-Mar-17
Babysaph 12-Mar-17
WV Mountaineer 12-Mar-17
26-Feb-17
I see where our trees are starting to bloom here because of the warm weather. If we get some more cold weather can that effect our mast crop for the fall?

27-Feb-17
Plants and trees bloom off of photoperiod. Not temperature. And, yes a early spring as we are having, based on daylight times, makes them susceptible to a late cold spell. God Bless men

28-Feb-17
The early warm weather may hurt some some mast,( (Apples) dont think it will hurt oak and nut bearing trees. as much. I dont know anything about the amount of daylight . but if you dont have warm temperatures nothing is going to bud out early .

28-Feb-17
Well then why are all the farmers in my area bitching about their apple and peach crops blooming early? If it is based on daylight seems they would bloom the same time every year. Imma tell em to stop bitching. LOL

28-Feb-17
Im just a dumb ole boy but there can't be an early bloom.

28-Feb-17
Seems the blooms would be susceptible to a cold spell every spring since it is based on daylight.

28-Feb-17

hoppies56's Link
Sure hope nothing get froze out. I just think it early for oaks regardless of temp. seems to me those late freezes in May hurt oaks a lot more .

28-Feb-17
I agree.

09-Mar-17
Here's the short and easy of it JR.

First, Realize that the reason the springs come early some years and, in cycle's is due to the position of the earth on it's axis. Spring happen's for us because the amount light increases on the Northern Hemisphere in a generalized time frame every year. The amount of time the sun hits us determines the amount of daylight we get for a given time of year. As the earth rotates around the sun at certain times the Northern Hemisphere is angled farther away from the sun. Which gives us winter. As it approaches the sun with it's tilt, due to our rotation of the sun, it gives us spring and summer. While temperature is a function of increased daylight for a reason, photoperiod is the determining factor in whether a plant will bloom.. Because, If blooming times were temperature dependent, there would be no need for grow lights for indoor horticulture during winter periods.

This is meteorology and botany 101. And, I had a bunch of that in Morgantown. Cloud cover, sun spots, weather fronts, humidity in the atmosphere, the amount of earth tilt, distance we are from the sun, etc... all affect the strength in which the sun heats the earth's surface on it's particular tilt. But, what affects the daylight and dark times is the degree in which the earth is tilted. Once the amount of daylight a plant or tree needs to bloom is achieved, it will bloom if the variables are favorable for it to do so. But, it takes adequate photoperiod in order for it to do so.

To test this, plant you some tomato seeds next fall and put them in your window seal. While they will likely grow rather meekly, they will never bloom until the daylight times get right for it to do so. Try it. But, first type what causes plants to bloom into your search engine and read it for yourself.

God Bless men

10-Mar-17
Hog wash,

10-Mar-17
If what you say is true , why didnt my trees bloom on March 10 last year or year before that. Sunlight may be the trigger but If we dont warm weather nothing would bloom out early.

10-Mar-17
Hoppie, I swear your reading comprehension lacks. It really does.

10-Mar-17
Well , maybe so but it was good enough to keep me in a 6 figure job for 30 plus years. I read and understood what you wrote just fine , I just dont agree with your prognosis on the subject ,

10-Mar-17
Why do the experts say the warmer winter is the cause of the early cherry blossom bloom? They never mentioned the amount of daylight

10-Mar-17
And why does it seem to get dark the same time year after year.

10-Mar-17
JR, in states that don't use daylight savings time it gets dark an hour later than states that do.

10-Mar-17
But in our state it gets dark the same time every year. And in stages that don't use daylight savings time it gets dark the same time every year

10-Mar-17
It's real cold here tonight. Looks like the oaks will gone.

10-Mar-17
Yes, looks like prolonged period of cold nights, from national weather service ( Due!! to unusually warm temps) vegetation has started to green up across the area,Temps in that mid teens to low twenties into next week , Not good

10-Mar-17
But it's different times in different States. That means in one state trees can be in full foliage but 100 yds away in another state trees haven't even bloomed yet.

11-Mar-17

This one has been most amusing. :^)

"Why do the experts say the warmer winter is the cause of the early cherry blossom bloom? They never mentioned the amount of daylight"

Because all aspects of photosynthesis are not dependent on light. Temperature can accelerate it--just like what we're seeing now and in those cherry blossoms too.

Maybe we all could benefit from grabbing a 7th grade science book and refreshing our memories some. :^)

11-Mar-17
Agreed Jimmy temperature can make them bloom earlier. My whole point. Another poster said plants and trees bloom off of photoperiod not temperature. That is what I was disputing.

11-Mar-17
And yes gobbler it is different in different states. I is much greener in Va 20 miles away than here in the eastern panhandle where I live

11-Mar-17
You are right Jimmy we could use a refresher course. But things have changed since Bush caused all of this global warmer. We didn't have that when I was in 7th grade. :)

11-Mar-17
I'm just messing with u JR, but you are right. Elevation does have a big impact. Even though my farm is 2 hrs South and east of Charleston because of elevation greenup averages 10 days behind than in Charleston.

11-Mar-17
I know that

11-Mar-17
"Once the amount of daylight a plant or tree needs to bloom is achieved, it will bloom if the variables are favorable for it to do so. But, it takes adequate photoperiod in order for it to do so."

A quote from my first post. The one Hoppie understood so clearly. Simply for the genius's out there, If the amount of light does not exist for a plant to bloom, tropical temps wont make it do it. Photoperiod is the only thing that will. I don't know what Casto does for a living or how much he makes but, he is right on this one.

God Bless men

12-Mar-17
Well then there must be enough light to make stuff bloom early this year.

12-Mar-17
Certain species there is enough light to bloom if other variables are present. However, budding for foliage and pollination are two different things. Prevailing wind, humidity, rain, etc... affect mast pollination. But, in order to fruit, most trees must bud and grow leafs first. A frost can hurt that process by affecting leaf growth early on. Something I'm sure hoppie knows due to that 6 figure job he carried for 30 years.

• Sitka Gear